The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: The All New State Your Opinion on a DC Character Thread

There's actually several Hawkgirls and Hawkwoman. People who hate Hawkman generally don't know much about him, or about Golden Age comics. The Golden Age version is really interesting, and the Golden Age Hawkgirl was by far the best version. Shiera and Carter had a very classic Hollywood type romance, a glamor type romance with fancy parties, the opera, etc. Carter Hall is supposed to be a sophisticated gentleman and a archeologist, not the snarling Wolverine rip-off that the hack of all hacks Geoff Johns turned him into. Just like with Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, the character Johns wrote named "Carter Hall" has nothing to do with the real character that Gardner Fox created.

The other Hawkgirl/Hawkwomen are a mixed bag. Silver Age Shayera is okay, JL cartoon Shayera is lame, and the latter day Hawkworld Hawkwoman is annoying. Kendra sucked.

Like with most DC characters, the original is the best.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

It's a pity they didn't go with that version of the characters for the new comic book

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Harlekin
Business

The original Hawkman/Hawkwoman is indeed pretty boss.

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlekin View Post
If you've got Hawkman, there's really very little use for Hawkgirl, even though I liked Kendra well enough.
That would make an interesting story...

A whirlwind journey in search of self-love, until the day he finally decides to rub one out to the thought of himself and dies after finally achieving said self-love in a public bathroom...

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
Hound55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post
Naw man. That is that guy. Rorschach pulled him through the hole.
That's what I was saying.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post

A whirlwind journey in search of self-love, until the day he finally decides to rub one out to the thought of himself and dies after finally achieving said self-love in a public bathroom...
I didnt know George Michael from WHAM was Hawkman!!! So tha was what he was doing in those public restrooms I guess if you used the hall of justice one and superman got it on his boots. He would be super pissed.....uh oops!went on a tangent.Carry on.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #32
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post

Truly that would be an epic of epicness Hound

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
.....and boom goes the dynamite.
You know anubis man Hahahahahaha the more I look at this the more its oh so wrong and I want a freaking poster of it hahahahahahaha its %^&*(($% awesome!! Rorschach awesome! You$T%#^^& kill me hahaha! I am crakin the hell up!!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #34
Winged Wonder
Side-Kick

Original Shiera - Never read much of her, but from what little I have, I found to her be a typically bland Golden Age female. She gets a couple of bonus points for doing more than falling all over Carter all the time, however.

Silver Age Shayera - Fairly bland herself until around the 1980s, when Tony Isabella made both her and Hawkman more fleshed-out characters. I always enjoyed their marriage, though, even in the Silver Age.

Hawkworld Shayera - Probably my favorite version of the character. Strong, independent, and pretty ruthless. She probably has the most in common, characteristically speaking anyway, with the JLU version of Hawkgirl.

Justice League/Unlimited Hawkgirl - She started out pretty one-dimensional, and as a comic book fan, her relationship with John actually bothered me. I was too used to seeing her with Hawkman for me to really welcome that aspect wholeheartredly. She's not bad, but she was too harsh and didn't have the same kind of tough charm that the above interpretation had for me to really like her.

Kendra Saunders - Probably my second favorite version of Hawkgirl. I liked how she wanted to be an independent spirit, in spite of the fact that everyone told her she was actually someone else.

Brightest Day Shiera - Barely got to know her, but she seemed to be, like Carter Hall had become, more akin to Silver Age Shayera than Golden Age Shiera. I don't miss her in the so-called "New 52," and I hope she's been written out of continuity completely. Hawkman needs a fresh start, and the whole "destined lovers" schtick had gotten old five years ago.

Also, Blackvulcan, you might like to hear that Hawkworld Shayera had a very brief relationship with a black Detroit detective named Jonesy, which only ended because a villain named Byth killed him in front of her. I once had the chance to ask Dwayne McDuffie if this had somehow influenced the decision to pair her up with John on JLU, but he said that he wasn't even aware of that character's existence.

Winged Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
Anubis
Sup?

Hawkwoman is a completely different character. When you get down to it, everybody except that one are the same chick. All of this has been explained through that whole reincarnation thing and Multiversal collapses.

That said, I've always liked the Hawks and don't really see why they get all that hate.

Anyway, moving on:

......Man oh man was I hot back then.....

The Question(Renee Montoya)

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #36
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

You sure that's Renee? Picture looks like a dude.

Anyway, I like Renee a lot. Still don't think she's a mask type and still miss Vic but whatever.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Anubis
Sup?

Yeah, that's her. If you look closely, you'll see the boobs.

Got kind of an Ellen thing going. You know, could be Ellen, could be David Spade, peal off the wrapper to find out.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Prefer Vic Sage
She was great as a cop though..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
Winged Wonder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hawkwoman is a completely different character. When you get down to it, everybody except that one are the same chick. All of this has been explained through that whole reincarnation thing and Multiversal collapses.
Yeah, I know. But I figured my list would be incomplete if I didn't include her. Plus, like I said, she's my favorite version of Hawkgirl/woman, so I had to get her in there.

Winged Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #40
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Renee was great as Renee Montoya. She's been terrible as the Question.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #41
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
That shirt doesn't make any sense to be. It actually conveys cleavage. Clothes don't work that way. Does it just have two perfectly tailored pockets for her breasts? Because that's dumb.
On a side note, that is exactly what the costume designers did for Seven of Nine on Star Trek Voyager. Jeri Ryan recently did an interview talking about how nonsensical and impractical it was.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #42
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:

That said, I've always liked the Hawks and don't really see why they get all that hate.

Anyway, moving on:

......Man oh man was I hot back then.....

Renee is my second favourite character in the Bat books and one of my absolute favourite DC characters both as a member of the GCPD and as the Question

I Renee with all my love

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #43
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

Quote:

SUCKS!!!!!!

... and onto other topics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Wonder View Post
Kendra Saunders - Probably my second favorite version of Hawkgirl. I liked how she wanted to be an independent spirit, in spite of the fact that everyone told her she was actually someone else.
totally agree. i dug that she turned her back on all that destiny thing and hooked up with Red arrow. and considering the volatile nature of hawhman and and green arrow relationship that was cool!
Quote:
Also, Blackvulcan, you might like to hear that Hawkworld Shayera had a very brief relationship with a black Detroit detective named Jonesy, which only ended because a villain named Byth killed him in front of her. I once had the chance to ask Dwayne McDuffie if this had somehow influenced the decision to pair her up with John on JLU, but he said that he wasn't even aware of that character's existence.
i am with you man . i read hawk world and totally dug it! it made her even more stopped being Hawkman's sidekick and her own person! Plus how can you not like to get some *CHOCOLATE in your peanut butter!

i dig the silver age one( i was introduced to that one as a kid) and the Justice League animated Hawkgirl.I met Dwayne MC once too man. i asked him so did GL and Hawk ever get back together. he was like they had a kid didnt they. I think he was a really cool cat and miss his passing.Hawkgirl i think slowly became her own person cause of Hawkworld..people can hate her all they want, i dug her!she again is one of those few gender clones that have broken out of their male's shadow *unlike cough cough SUPERGIRL cough!"... excuse me! I had some feathers in my throat!

*Resses peanut butter cups

Last edited by BLACKVULCAN; 05-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.
BLACKVULCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #44
Kurosawa
Banned User

Renee is a great character, her being the Question is absurd. It wastes her as a character, and it costs us Vic Sage. It's loss/loss.

Last word on Hawkgirl: without Hawkman, she wouldn't exist. And they are best together. Either of them with anyone else is absurd.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 05-08-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #45
Harlekin
Business

Renee's great and the series with Cully Hamner (the Batwoman back-up) on her art have also seen her be awesome as the Question.

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #46
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Yep I adored her as the Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Renee is a great character, her being the Question is absurd. It wastes her as a character, and it costs us Vic Sage. It's loss/loss.
I thought she was fab as the Question but not used enough. Gail Simone and Greg Rucka were going to do a Question/Huntress mini series starring Renee and Helena I bet that would have been fantastic

Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #47
Hound55

Quote:
The Question

YES!

Quote:
(Renee Montoya)

Awwwww....

Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #48
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Renee is amazing and you know she is Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Renee was great as Renee Montoya. She's been terrible as the Question.
Apparently she's going to be back on the GCPD in the new DCU

Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #49
Hound55

Preferred her in her own role on the GCPD.

I liked the idea and execution of the passing of the torch in 52, and the way Sage's death and her journy to be worthy of the mantle moreso than any appearance where Renee's actually been The Question though.

Actually the way Sage's death was handled and their arc was probably my favourite thing about 52 in terms of arcs. There were some cool moments, but as an arc I liked their stuff the best.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #50
Hound55

If they can use the New DCU as a way of bringing Sage back as they have done with a few other characters I'd be thrilled...