The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #776
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Default Re: The Walking Dead

Carl should have died when he got shot in the head. The fact that he's walking around diminishes the old feeling that anybody could go at any time. Now Carl seems to be a character that won't ever bite the dust. It makes it feel like a regular comic when before I was on edge because I had no idea who would die.

SPOILERS below

I'm loving the recent turn of events as it pertains to Rick meeting up with Jesus' crew. You could tell a lot in the character of Andrea, Michonne, and Glenn with their reactions to the camp. Andrea doesn't like to be reminded of how she used to be, so seeing how people reacted to Rick getting attacked wasn't a good look to her. She doesn't want to help them because they can't even help themselves like how she used to be. Michonne absolutely hates the idea of getting complacent. It says a lot that she said that the place was terrifying. Almost nothing gets to her. She hardly bats an eye at anything, but I think seeing how connected those people were scares her into believing that she can become complacent and end up dying because she's living for someone else. In her previous life she probably relied on others a little too much for emotional support. Glenn just wants to live comfortably. He's got a wife and a kid to look after, so for him he cares about things being as easy as possible. He'll always do what needs to be done, but that's the ultimate goal for him is to keep Maggie and Sophia safe.

That's one of the reasons why I loved this issue so much. Rick's speech on why he is the leader was spot on. While Andrea and Michonne want to shy away from the compound, he sees it as an opportunity. While Glenn is just happy to be there, Rick is the one that has to look for the opportunity in all of it.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #777
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

Yeah, that double page splash of Carl with half a head was so impactful, having him survive took away from it. It was hard at first to accept. Now, less so. Still, would have preferred he died. I was waiting for Rick to snap and it leading to a new direction for the series.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #778
PaleRider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDX View Post
Yeah, that double page splash of Carl with half a head was so impactful, having him survive took away from it. It was hard at first to accept. Now, less so. Still, would have preferred he died. I was waiting for Rick to snap and it leading to a new direction for the series.
agreed, I think that is one of the few black eyes of the series. When I first saw that I literally yelled out loud, now he is just walking around with a bandage like nothing happened. I don't have a huge problem with Adlard but that was an artist issue, he drew it with you being able to see through Carls head.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #779
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, Adlard went overboard on that page. I didn't have a problem with Carl surviving, though. The Walking Dead's always been a comic where a few select people survive. Rick, Carl, Andrea, Glenn, Michonne. They're gonna be around a while. I never really feel like any of them are in danger at this point, given the length of time they've been in the comic and the ridiculous number of close calls they've had in that time.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #780
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

Which will help that impact when one of them finally bites it.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #781
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Yeah, Adlard went overboard on that page. I didn't have a problem with Carl surviving, though. The Walking Dead's always been a comic where a few select people survive. Rick, Carl, Andrea, Glenn, Michonne. They're gonna be around a while. I never really feel like any of them are in danger at this point, given the length of time they've been in the comic and the ridiculous number of close calls they've had in that time.
You maniac! You jinxed it! Now my girls Andrea and Michonne are going to bite the dust in the next issue.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #782
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Edd!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #783
Mars452
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Anyway, killing Carl seems like such a dead-end to me. If TWD is, as its hardcovers indicate, a "continuing story of survival horror," it's gotta continue into the next generation at some point.
Well, technically, this doesn't necessarily mean that Carl needs to survive. Rick and Andrea can always do their part to contribute to the next generation, ahem.

God... waiting for 97 to come out is driving me nuts.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #784
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Has anyone else grown incredibly bored of WD?

I stopped buying it in January, and I still haven't gotten interested enough to catch up on it yet.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #785
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

Last few issues have been fine for me, but I guess I'm just really looking forward to issue 100 dropping and seeing what they do there. Beforehand, before the debut of Jesus, it was getting a bit dull and long, but that seems to be Kirkman's way when he writes them getting comfortable so he can then amp it up with all the violence and corpses.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #786
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

While I'll agree it was starting to become droll and redundant, the newest arc has a lot of potential. It seems a full-scale war is about to begin, and that has rekindled my interest in the book.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #787
actionavenue
Action Ave Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingDeadMike View Post
While I'll agree it was starting to become droll and redundant, the newest arc has a lot of potential. It seems a full-scale war is about to begin, and that has rekindled my interest in the book.
My wife and I are currently reading the series. Probably not as far along as you. So far I think the story is still exciting, although the TV show is superior to the comic book. Just my opinion. It will be great for season 3 to return in the fall.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #788
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, no, I found the series pretty damn exciting up until issue 85 or so. It's just since then that it's gotten stale.

But I do agree, this new arc does look like it could get the book back up to speed again.

I just don't TDK the interpersonal drama that's been going on currently is anywhere near as good as it was when they were in the prison or before.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #789
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Yeah, no, I found the series pretty damn exciting up until issue 85 or so. It's just since then that it's gotten stale.

But I do agree, this new arc does look like it could get the book back up to speed again.

I just don't TDK the interpersonal drama that's been going on currently is anywhere near as good as it was when they were in the prison or before.
I don't disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionavenue View Post
the TV show is superior to the comic book.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #790
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Hah.

Yeah, the show's good, but it's nowhere near as good as those first 40 issues or so.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #791
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

I don't even watch the show anymore. One season was enough to know it wasn't for me.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #792
PaleRider
Side-Kick

I'm just going to say the comic is one of my favorite books out right now and the show is one of my favorite shows. My interest in the comic hasn't been this high since the end of the prison, though I always love the comic.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #793
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingDeadMike View Post
I don't even watch the show anymore. One season was enough to know it wasn't for me.
I think it got a lot better during Season Two.

Season One was paced slow as ****, and nothing really ever happened.

In the second season, there's at least a good handful of shockers and cliff hangers like the comic.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #794
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Maybe one day I'll give it another shot.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #795
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

There were some very good developments during season 2. And while I try to never miss it, I still enjoy the book more.

Even with its regular down times.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #796
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

someone big dies in this issue. Bleedingcool doesn't say who, does anyone know?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #797
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
someone big dies in this issue. Bleedingcool doesn't say who, does anyone know?
Yep.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Abraham

Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #798
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Anyone know where to pick up some of the recent back issues of Walking Dead for cover price?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #799
NDX
Smack Talker Skywalker

Dammit, Kirkman. Dammit.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #800
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Probably one of the 5 best issues of the series. While it doesn't have nearly the emotional impact as my other favorite issues, the fast-paced, seemingly cover-to-cover action went a long way to make me forget about that. This was the perfect prelude to war. Kudos to Kirkman and Charlie.

Closed Thread