The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #101
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Default Re: Kevin Feige says no to another Hulk Movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
planet hulk will not happen anytime soon. It's JohnCarter of Mars meets Hulk.. NO WAY will disney do that
I'm not saying it will or it wont happen. I am just trying to demonstrate that it a feasible option.

Honestly I think if Marvel was admant enough in supporting the idea, Disney would be hard pressed to deny them anything.

Marvel just gave Disney one of the biggest movies in the history of movies. As I stated in my previous post, at this point NOTHING is off the table and studios should be lining up to embrace some of their riskier properties. Not that I think a Planet Hulk or any Hulk projectwould be much of a risk

Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #102
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

During planet hulk why did hulk never transform back into banner? ans also did the hulk gain intelligence during this period?

I'm basing this on the movie of it i saw.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #103
metaphysician
Side-Kick

See, you *can* have Hulk regress and turn back into an uncontrolled, horribly dangerous monster. . .

. . . but the GA would not be kind to such, as it would come off as some kind of massive character regression. I stick to my guns: a Planet Hulk that doesn't remove the entire "super heroes exiling Hulk" aspect is a bad idea. The GA wants to see more Hulk, but they probably don't want to see Tony and Nick turned into borderline villains.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #104
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
During planet hulk why did hulk never transform back into banner? ans also did the hulk gain intelligence during this period?

I'm basing this on the movie of it i saw.
The environment was too deadly for Banner to be able to live on, so the big guy took over for a while.
Hulk's intelligence often varies depending on Banner's state of mind.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #105
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
See, you *can* have Hulk regress and turn back into an uncontrolled, horribly dangerous monster. . .

. . . but the GA would not be kind to such, as it would come off as some kind of massive character regression. I stick to my guns: a Planet Hulk that doesn't remove the entire "super heroes exiling Hulk" aspect is a bad idea. The GA wants to see more Hulk, but they probably don't want to see Tony and Nick turned into borderline villains.
Maybe the GA would like to see them turned into borderline heroes? Again, the Hulk the GA loves almost killed BW and layed a beat down on Thor, not to mention attacking that poor pilot! Why wouldn't they continue to love him as the loose cannon he has always been. Traditional good and evil is boring. Shades of grey create drama, intrigue and mystery.

"The GA wont support IM because he a 'B' hero", "The GA will never believe the fantasy elements of Thor in the MCU", "The GA wont buy the Human Torch playing Captain America", "The GA wont pay to see aliens in The Avengers", "The GA wont pay to see ANOTHER Hulk". These are all arguments I have heard before. You and others don't have a real high opinion of the GA and the reality is, it's not the GA that can't accept it, it is fans like yourself. The GA ate up all the fantasy and scifi elements, INCLUDING hero fights, and went back for more.

It always surprises me that fans of a genre that embraces the incredible, celebrates the fantastic and regularly pushes the envelope of imagination can be so limited in what is acceptable in film.

Personally, being part of the GA, I love to see heroes go at it and test each other. It is one of the great things of having an integrated universe and it was one of the more enjoyable aspects of The Avengers.

The Hulk is at his best when he is an agent of destruction and a catalyst for chaos. It is a strength of the character that despite being an unpredictable force of nature and despite being hated and feared, in his heart he is still a hero. It is the tragic and beautiful core of the character and it is what sets him apart from every other hero that came before him.

Personally I have no desire to see Hulk restrained by the yolk of Banner's intelligence and control. Give me the primal, cunning and dangerous Hulk anyday. If I want a happy Hulk that everybody loves I'll watch Marvel Superhero Squad.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #106
Congo Jack
Chad Sexington

I'd like a Ruffalo Hulk film. Personally, I'd bring back 'Thunderbolt' and Betty Ross; with the Abomination and the Leader also returning. Introduce Glenn Talbot, and a cinematic Rick Jones finally. Call it HULK SMASH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I would actually rather have Amadeus. He just seems cooler. Rick just seems very '80s for some reason. Kind of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtley.
Lee and Kirby two decades ahead of the curve, not bad.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #107
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't think the general public would care if Hulk turns into a grayer character (heh).

I don't think general audiences like Hulk in AVENGERS because of the type of character...they liked seeing Silly Fun Hulk smashing things.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #108
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Honestly, what would be the point of introducing Rick Jones? Or, to be more precise: what role would he serve in a film, to justify his inclusion? Note that "teen sidekick" is not exactly a thing that sells.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #109
Octavias
Mad Insomniac

First of all, Marvel has too many other projects to revisit the hulk right now. Secondly the Hulk wasnt a complete loss at the box office, it did bring in close to 300 million worldwide. TIH managed to establish a cannon for the character, which is what they needed for the Avengers movie. The hulk story is a complicated and drawn out one. Jumping right into a "Planet hulk" type storyline would be a huge mistake. Id forsee Marvel taking the Hulk story back to TV, maybe as a pre- avengers/TIH flashback type deal telling the origin through the running. That way the character in all its incarnations could be fleshed out enough for a return to the big screen...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #110
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Honestly, what would be the point of introducing Rick Jones? Or, to be more precise: what role would he serve in a film, to justify his inclusion? Note that "teen sidekick" is not exactly a thing that sells.
I like seeing avengers hulk because he had a mix of both humor and terror amongst his team mates while still kicking lots of ass. I think we should most certainly see that in a hulk sequel film.

Rick Jones isn't needed in the mcu. Id actually prefer Amadeus Cho over him. a powered doc Samson would be great as well

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #111
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Disney should have done Planet Hulk instead of John Carter. That would have done well at the box office-- with a summer release, not spring.

I'd also like to see Sam Sterns come back as the Leader, in an Avengers film.. he can have his humanoids as his smashable henchmen..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #112
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

imho, hulk is a concept that simply doesn't work in the movies. people are paying to see hulk and every second hulk isn't on screen they get frustrated but you need to explore the dichomy of bruce banner and that takes time, so you see the problem.

the reason it works so well in the avengers is bruce is surrounded by interesting and colourful characters so the audience are engaged when hulk isn't on screen allowing banner to be fleshed out without the audience getting restless and then when hulk is finally released there is a big pay off.

hulk failing at the box office is a plain as the nose on your face. much more suited to TV (where bruce is fleshed out over a series of episodes) or an ensemble piece where there are other characters to engage the audience when hulk isn't on screen.

the principle is exactly the same for hannible lecter, the character is offset by clarice and will (red dragon and silence) but put him in his own movie where he is the focus of attention and the whole thing falls down like a house of cards

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #113
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
imho, hulk is a concept that simply doesn't work in the movies. people are paying to see hulk and every second hulk isn't on screen they get frustrated but you need to explore the dichomy of bruce banner and that takes time, so you see the problem.

the reason it works so well in the avengers is bruce is surrounded by interesting and colourful characters so the audience are engaged when hulk isn't on screen allowing banner to be fleshed out without the audience getting restless and then when hulk is finally released there is a big pay off.

hulk failing at the box office is a plain as the nose on your face. much more suited to TV (where bruce is fleshed out over a series of episodes) or an ensemble piece where there are other characters to engage the audience when hulk isn't on screen.

the principle is exactly the same for hannible lecter, the character is offset by clarice and will (red dragon and silence) but put him in his own movie where he is the focus of attention and the whole thing falls down like a house of cards
Then simply use Hulk movies to introduce more Marvel characters! That way , we are killing 2 birds with one stone. They can be there to play off of Hulk or be there to stop him.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #114
Supermanreturns
Side-Kick

Quote:
Start from the Avengers' end and the Mark Ruffalo's words that are interesting: "he needs family". S.H.I.E.L.D. has released him, as a promise, but surely Ross is still hunting him.

Maybe in his way he met Rick Jones, a teen or a little older than teen, that give him hospitality.

Supermanreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #115
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Make a team up movie, Hulk - Captain America Team up.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #116
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

a team up movie could work especially as a platform to launch a new character.

for instance if you introduced ant man/giant man you have a nice dynamic of pym and banner being scientists. banner goes to pym to cure him, pym introduced the concept dwaft matter to enlarge or shrink objects. banner hulks out and pym has to subdue him.

to me that works but a solo hulk movie doesn't work. I loved the drama of ang lee but the action was far too fleeting and in TIH the action was fun (but way too cartoony looking) but the drama feel flat as there wasn't enough time to explore and **** you to marvel for not releasing the extended cut with more banner character moments.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #117
co2
Side-Kick

Funny, but yesterday, I was in a Hulk mood (even had on a Hulk t-shirt) and mentioned to my girlfriend, that I wanted to watch TIH that evening. Then, her cousins and their littl girl decided to come over for dinner. They went to my disc collection...and without any prompting, what do you think they pulled out to watch? lol.
So we watched TIH after dinner. It was one of those, "lights out, sound up", kind of viewings, and I was surprised how much everyone was into it...even the little girl really liked it....and I did too. My opinion grows fonder, the more I see it. I think I may now put it alongside Avengers and Cap as my three favorite MU movies. Still not sure why people critisize it more than the others.

I just thought it was funny, how now, after Avengers, everyone has Hulk fever. I mean, just look at the topic of the most popular threads on these boards now.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #118
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Hah! Of course since I wanted to see a Hulk sequel with Mark Ruffalo reprising his characters this would be announced. My luck is absolutely abysmal lately.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off - The reason why I listen to European Metal.

Isn't this far better but still pop-like?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #119
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermanreturns View Post
Start from the Avengers' end and the Mark Ruffalo's words that are interesting: "he needs family". S.H.I.E.L.D. has released him, as a promise, but surely Ross is still hunting him.

Maybe in his way he met Rick Jones, a teen or a little older than teen, that give him hospitality.
See, this is the thing I object to: the ending of TIH all but outright said Ross was *not* hunting Banner anymore. To do anything otherwise would basically undo any remaining good from the movie.

The Hulk has the general public cheering for him for saving the day against alien invaders, and he has rich and powerful friends, *and* Ross had a very painful and unambiguous lesson in how he was a worse problem than Banner, *and* he's got a monster to experiment upon in custody anyway. Its time for him to let it go. Either he should have an ambiguous repentant role in TIH2, or no role at all.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #120
Backstreets
Banned User

People just want to see the Hulk smash stuff. This is why the Hulk worked so well in the Avengers, He's best as a supporting character and it was great that he stopped trying to cure himself like in the other 2 films.

The TV show Hulk...let's stop BS ourselfs...it sucked. it was the same episode every time which went like this....

Banner goes into town
Banner finds trouble
Banner gets knocked down
Banner turns into the Hulk
Hulk flexes same pose at least twice
Hulk throws bad man
Hulk runs off
Banner leaves town

Rinse and repeat

Backstreets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #121
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstreets View Post
People just want to see the Hulk smash stuff. This is why the Hulk worked so well in the Avengers, He's best as a supporting character and it was great that he stopped trying to cure himself like in the other 2 films.

The TV show Hulk...let's stop BS ourselfs...it sucked. it was the same episode every time which went like this....

Banner goes into town
Banner finds trouble
Banner gets knocked down
Banner turns into the Hulk
Hulk flexes same pose at least twice
Hulk throws bad man
Hulk runs off
Banner leaves town

Rinse and repeat
I agree that show sucked, but my hate comes from the fact it fostered the idea of a mute Hulk with zero personality who has no motivations or emotions for what he does. It was suddenly a rule that Banner gets 99.999999% of the character development and Hulk got what was left over...maybe.

That "Hulk runs off" stuff made me crazy too. Maybe the Avengers will finally get the idea into the public consciousness that he is supposed to leap great distances. People were actually asking why the Hulk was "flying" in Ang Lee's movie.

As much as people loved the Hulk in The Avengers, that version still won't work in a solo film. He's still a mute character that is never developed. Try that without a bunch of interesting characters surrounding him and the audience will go right back to being bored. I can hear it now... "He was better in The Avengers". That's because Stark, Cap, and Thor aren't there giving us someone to care about. We'll get another movie about Banner's issues and once again the Hulk will show up occasionally to smash stuff before making a quick exit so we can get back to being bored by Banner. You'll be sitting there hoping against hope that RDJ will make a guest appearance.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #122
thalidomide
The Enemy

They already confirmed it right? They're are making a sequel to TIH

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #123
Blackman
C'mon Son

^^^it'd be pretty stupid if they didnt

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #124
The Guard
Side-Kick

It's kind of sad that people consider Bruce Banner's conflict boring.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #125
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
See, this is the thing I object to: the ending of TIH all but outright said Ross was *not* hunting Banner anymore. To do anything otherwise would basically undo any remaining good from the movie.

The Hulk has the general public cheering for him for saving the day against alien invaders, and he has rich and powerful friends, *and* Ross had a very painful and unambiguous lesson in how he was a worse problem than Banner, *and* he's got a monster to experiment upon in custody anyway. Its time for him to let it go. Either he should have an ambiguous repentant role in TIH2, or no role at all.
I know I've said this before, but just because the Hulk may be perceived as a hero now does not mean that the public, the government or even The Avengers don't remain wary of Banner's control of the beast. It would only take one rage change to make Banner and the Hulk public enemy #1.

The Hulks level of power inspires awe and fear. Even when employing that power for the greater good, one can't help but think, "What if he lost control again?"

The government will still want the Hulk's power for themselves or at least a contingency plan for neutralizing him. Hell, it's the government, they probably have contingencies for neutralizing all the Avengers! Ross is obsessed with capturing the Hulk and humiliating Banner. Is it really so hard to envision him taking up the chase again or maybe even provoking an uncontrolled change in Banner?