The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Nolan's Batman, drained of fun?
They are too dark & depressing, need to lighten up a little 15 20.27%
The dark mood is highly concentrated, I could barely feel the fun 9 12.16%
Batman Begins has some fun, but the Dark Knight is too dark and depressing 5 6.76%
They both had some fun notable moments, more fun would change the experience a lot 45 60.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #226
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Default Re: Nolan's Batman, drained of fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that Jonah originally wrote the role of Chechen as Penguin. But Chris had to pee all on our parade.
That would've been awesome. Little touches like that in The Dark Knight would've been great. It's actually amusing to me that Nolan thinks the Chechen (and really all the mobsters) were somehow less cartoonish and more realistic than the Penguin.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #227
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

The name alone is cartoonish and silly. The Chechen? Or Gambole?

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #228
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Sigh.

At this point, I'm really hoping TDKR curb stomps Avengers in terms of attention and BO, when I didnt find myself caring about that all that much. Not because I'm a batfan. Not because I supposedly hate The Avengers (I actually liked it). Not because I like so called "Depressing" films...but just to shut some of you the **** up.

This whole "Every comic movie should be bright and entertaining" bandwagon is already irritating as hell. Especially when you know the next fad will come, and everyone will end up *****ing about The Avengers.
I personally thought most of TDK was a hoot. I don't care how "dark" or "grim" people claim it is, it's still a grown man dressed as a bat running around a big city with a clown trying to kill him. I mean, Mr. J dresses as a nurse in the damn thing...the movie was hilarious to me.

I don't care what TDKR or Avengers make at the BO, the only movie I'm concerned about really is MOS and I don't know if I want it to succeed or not.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #229
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Four Quadrant films are ruining cinema.
I can't tell if your serious or not. . .

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #230
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I can't tell if your serious or not. . .
I know right, I want the next batman series to be 4 films instead of 3.

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #231
The Guard
Side-Kick

The Chechen combined with Gambol still wouldn't have done justice to the concept of The Penguin. Either use him and explore him, or don't. Hopefully in the next franchise, writers are smart enough to make Cobblepot an ongoing character.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #232
CB Fan
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I love Nolan's Batman films but the Dark Knight is hard to watch because its so depressing thats why I prefer Begins.
I dont think TDK is depressing but after I got the film on Blu-Ray I have watched it a grand total of about 5 times in full, for me it was fun to watch in theaters and fun to relive again at home a few times but after that I now find I have trouble getting through the movie because I get bored. Its a great film really a masterpiece but I find myself watching Burton's Batfilcks (which I regard as masterpieces as well) and Begins more than TDK. I hope TDKR is more rewatchable for me but looking at the newest trailer released I dont think Nolan is letting off the dark and gloomy, should be good tho.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #233
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I personally thought most of TDK was a hoot. I don't care how "dark" or "grim" people claim it is, it's still a grown man dressed as a bat running around a big city with a clown trying to kill him. I mean, Mr. J dresses as a nurse in the damn thing...the movie was hilarious to me.
I agree with this

SPIDER-MAN: Taking selfies since the 60s, making money out of it.

6th annual animated shows tournament voting has begun.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #234
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The Chechen combined with Gambol still wouldn't have done justice to the concept of The Penguin. Either use him and explore him, or don't. Hopefully in the next franchise, writers are smart enough to make Cobblepot an ongoing character.
I never saw the Penguin as a marque villain myself. I think he's highly overrated myself. I would not have liked it if he was dispatched like the Chechen was (supposedly off camera). I kind of like the idea of the Penguin as a regular supporting cast villain. One who has a prominent background role.

Frankly parents just don't seem to give a sh** by and large.

Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 05-10-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #235
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I love Nolan's Batman films but the Dark Knight is hard to watch because its so depressing thats why I prefer Begins.
I don't think it was depressing at all. The mood was just too serious and too dark that I had a hard time enjoying the movie.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #236
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I find, if anything it gets slow and pretentious, but it's not depressing and it's still a fun action flick.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #237
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Yeah, TDK is dark, but it ultimately does have a triumphant finale, more or less.

( of course, than you get alleged-fans complaining about the unrealism of the two boats not blowing each other up. . . )

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #238
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Yeah, TDK is dark, but it ultimately does have a triumphant finale, more or less.

( of course, than you get alleged-fans complaining about the unrealism of the two boats not blowing each other up. . . )
I hate it's comparison to Empire Strikes Back mostly because, like you said, the end of TDK is basically a triumph. Joker is put away. You don't get that at all in Empire and, at the time, audiences were way more disillusioned by the end of that movie. Luke's father is Vader, Han Solo is gone, and the Empire wins the battle. It's not just that they lost a man, but the whole reality of the first film is dashed to pieces. You really can't say that about TDK. It's a pyric victory, but still feels like a win. Even though Harvey dies, even that's kind of a plus when you really think about the state he is in.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #239
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

The batman films (Current films) are just fine. I'm one of the select few I guess that prefer BB over DK but DK was fine as well.
They could always put batman back to the "camp" side of things I suppose with an unlimited number of quirky items at his disposal with over the top colorful villians. I mean it did work for nearly a decade in the original films but I think fans of film and comics are ready to move foward. Batman and the avengers movie wise I guess are like apples and oranges. Yes their both fruits,their both round,and are equally delicious to my taste buds but i'll be damned if i ever peel and orange to find an apple underneath!

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #240
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

No one wants camp. We are talking about the more sci-fi/horror characters. Hell, with the exception of a few villians I think you could make most of them suit the tone of the Nolan films... you just have to introduce less grounded realism to bring them to life.

Even Mad Hatter can be made pretty darn dark.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #241
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I'd be okay with a little camp.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #242
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

You can be imaginative without being campy.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #243
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
You can be imaginative without being campy.
Did you not think BB and DK where imaginative or are you just saying in general? I'm assuming the second but just asking.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #244
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yes, but I also like camp.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #245
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

The reason people are saying this is Arkham City. It was one of the greatest games ever created, fresh in people's mind, and arguably a better experience than watching TDK. It has nothing to do with the Avengers but I think some people miss the vibrant, fun, comic book aspect of Batman. Batman Begins combined this nearly perfectly. The problem with TDK, the only real problem, was that the Joker was more interesting than Batman. I hope this changes in TDKR but I fear that he may be overshadowed once again by Bane and Catwoman. The reason that Begins was so fun is because Batman was by far the best part.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #246
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

People always claim that Batman's villains are more interesting than he is. Even in the comics.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #247
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Yeah but those people are ****s more or less.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #248
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I think much of what makes Batman consistently good (admit it! 1960s is good!) is the rogues gallery.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #249
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

The "good dog" scene in the latest BATMAN issue with the batcave T-Rex was fun as hell. Idiosyncratic enough to fit within Batman's world. Same with the giant penny scene from last issue or Batman beating up an expository villain and telling him "I heard you the first time".

I think sometimes people over estimate the "dark and the gritty" as if the character really is that one dimensional. He isn't. Next movies just go with a more balanced approach and I think it could finally prove this. It seems to be what people like the best about Batman judging by how much love the Arkham games seem to get by non comic fans.

It also seems to be what a lot of the "villains are more interesting" people just never get to understand. Oh and yes BB did come closest to at least being a very personal reflection on Batman himself. I'd argue that TDK and the Burton films do so as well. Not to the extent of BB though when it comes to being presented in a a more conventional and obvious way.

Just as much so in the sense that all the thematics presented in those films reflect back on Batman/Bruce Wayne himself. I think the next one will shift back to that more obvious stance mixed with having the other characters as reflections of Batman himself and the themes of the story represent his plight. Especially since it's going to deal with the whole "broken bat, rising knight" thing.

My personal favorite Batman stories don't involve any of the famous rogues though. A lot of my favorites revolve around Batman himself cause he is a superhero that does cool and fun stuff. By nature driving around in cool vehicles, using up an arsenal of gadgets and grapple lining around the city are meant to include a certain element of fun. People could deny it all they want but deep down inside they even know Batman is more than a detective. He'd be Sherlock if he was that.

The hook is that he's a detective while also being a superhero. This iteration just focuses on the detective much more than superheroics. Nothing wrong with that. Though the superheroics do still exist in these movies. It's inherent with Batman. At the end of the day you can't take a story about a wealthy man dressed like a bat; that seriously.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men

Last edited by Cain; 05-11-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #250
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I was talking about this with my brother the other day after the trailer came out, I said Nolan's Batman is awesome but it has made me realize how much it would suck to actually be Batman. Not just the fact that his parents were murdered in front of him, but how he forces himself to live in this constant dark and depressing world. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Nolan's Batman is a bad movie, but I just wouldn't want to live as Batman.

The success of the Avenger though tells me that the next Batman franchise that comes after Nolan's will be more comic book and superhero than Nolan's. Nolan's was like a more realistic gritty down to earth noir type Batman, the next will be more in line with Captain America and the Avengers where Batman would be able to fight a Clayface type shape change man made of clay or have a Robin sidekick or a Batgirl, and have connections to sci fi and magic, etc. It will also probably be a movie where he could team up with Superman or Green Lantern, maybe helping to launch the JLA or maybe actually be the JLA as the next franchise.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote