The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #26
TX85
Jolly

Default Re: What about a Batman live-action tv series?

I've often wondered about a prequel series to Birds of Prey!,BOP was alright to me and I did like the tone&look of that series,I'd like at least 3 seasons of a new series.

1st season-Bruce is in a serious relationship with Selina while Batman is of course enemies with Catwoman while they also having love-hate relationship/Bruce and Greyson often have problems/Joker as main villain for S1 with villians from the comics making appearances.

End of Season one-Dick Greyson leaves the Wayne mansion/Bruce gets engaged to Selina and Joker is locked up in Arkham.

Season 2-More than 1 new main villian/Selina gets pregnant/Dick becomes Nightwing.

End of Season 2-Bruce&Selina tell each other there identity/Nightwing becomes an ally to Batman But not partners anymore.

Season 3-Bruce&Selina gets married/Joker is out again/Barbara is thinking of leaving too/Batman has fights with Nightwing.

End of Season 3-Baby is born/Batman&Catwoman is killed together/Barbara gets paralyzed and Nightwing takes care of Joker/Alfred takes the baby into safety with Batgirl&Nightwing promising to protect Gotham and make Batman proud while also promising to check on the baby as she grows up.

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
Jeremy Dylan
Side-Kick

I've always felt that Batman is far more suited to the long-form storytelling nature of a seasonal TV series than film, but any venture would be of a prohibitively excessive budget. But imagine something of the quality and complexity of MAD MEN with the Batman cast. It would be a wonderful opportunity to recapture some of the character intimacy that is a necessary sacrifice of the scope of features.

Jeremy Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"

That would be quite nice.

It's certainly the only way we'll explore Batman's rich history or see his villains developed in an epic way. I'd love to see it. Much of my pacing would be like that of the TAS. Season 1 would be JUST Batman, and introducing all of his major villains in heartful storylines, most would make 2-3 appearances that season with Joker making the big four. Play with different storytelling formulas as well. Do it a bit CSI-like. Season 1's Bat-team would be Bruce, Alfred, Gordon, Dent, Leslie and Lucius. Season 2, let Ra's Alghul, and his daughter be the sort of big bads, as we see Grayson develop as an apprentice, and Barbara added to the team, and Catwoman begin to cross the lines, but turn out to be a mole from a small alliance of villains, but then she 'falls' for him. Season 3, Robin and Batgirl (short lived, crippled as a Season cliffhanger) would be in full swing. By Season 4, we'd see impostors and potential rivals like Azrael, Huntress and Bat-Woman, with some other Superheroes crossovers (The Outsiders, since the JLA will probably be unavailable). Season 5 we'd change things up, Grayson would fall out with bats, Jason Todd would be a short lived Robin, KIA, perhaps as part of Knightfall. Throw in a little Battle for the Cowl (and basically put both of the Grayson-as-Batman arcs into a single season/storyline for Season 6. Bruce return in season 7, perhaps adapt the OMACs/Brother Eye thing until Tim Drake helps settle him out, though Damian Wayne would be Tim's peer and rival, until Damian takes Drake's job. Pepper it all with guest shots from other minor DC heroes. All the while, each episode has a CSI-type theme, though the person isn't always dead first.

At least... that's how I'd do it.

GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
TX85
Jolly

That would be f'n amazing!,IF Smallville can get 10 seasons(Which I'm a HUGE fan of)Then that Batman show should too!.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
Karelia
We Are Groot

Batman on TV would be awesome after Nolan films wrap up. But I just don't see WB bringing him to TV after the success of the new Batman films. I'd love to see it happen though.

Or a Nightwing show... I think that would be just as amazing.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #31
TX85
Jolly

Would make sense though!,From what Nolan have said about the 3rd movie.....Seems he is determined to make this an actual trilogy that he created and will end(I believe he will be bold enough to actually have a death of Batman plot to end it).

After that I don't see WB actually re-booting again or a sequel within 3-even 5 years,So a live-action TV should could be done.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #32
mdy
New User - Level 0

Something more akin to the tone of the Arkham game would be excellent, focusing as much on the investigation as well as busting heads.. I agree that it's time we saw less gadgets and especially a less bulky suit - given most of the actors have hardly been able to move in the movie outfits - it'd be nice to see a version of Bats that actually looks like he could handle himself in a fight..

Casting for the man himself? - I'd like to see Misha Collins (Castiel from Supernatural) given a go - he has the duel personna and voice down already..

mdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #33
danlav05
Side-Kick

Rumour has it:

http://**************.com/batman_movies/news/?a=25237

danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #34
Micah12345
Side-Kick

Batman on CW = please god a thousand times NO

Batman on HBO = oh god yes

Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #35
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From io9:
Live-action Batman TV series is probably just a rumor for now

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #36
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From CBR:
10 Potential Batman Spin-Off TV Shows
Quote:
If the rumors are true, then DC Entertainment and Warner Bros are considering spinning a television series out of Christopher Nolan’s third and final Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises. Here are some suggestions for shows we’d happily watch.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #37
HarleyDoll
Newbie First Class

Loving LuisTX85's ideas!!!! I really enjoyed Birds of Prey as well. Although I dont agree with the woman who played Harley... She was alright, but I just cant get past the hair. Must be a girl thing maybe? But seriously, Harley & short hair is just not done. Anyways, I'd love to see more shows!
I also liked the ideas of it being a lot like BTAS or AA ^__^

About this link http://**************.com/batman_movies/news/?a=25237 : I'm glad they consider a new Joker. Cos achieving Heath's is impossible (in my humble opinion). I think with a BTAS or New Batman Adventures Joker they are very save. He's nothing like Heath's version at all

HarleyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #38
William15
Side-Kick

Graysons TV Show
In my honest opinion, Grayson could be a very good show. But the direction Warner Brothers might be going is all wrong.

The Dick Grayson in my version would be a 15 year old teen attending High School just like any other teen would. The only difference is, that most of the week, he also patrols the streets as Robin The Boy Wonder. Bruce Wayne would be in the show, but to a minimum as the Batman. I want him to teach and train Dick in a fierce way and to teach him all the things he was taught when he went into exile after his parents were murdered.

The show doesn’t have to focus on his life as the Boy Wonder. Instead they could show the things a hero like him has to struggle with, after the mask comes off. Dick would struggle in school, because he’s sleep deprived. He has to hide wounds which were endured while patrolling.

They could even go the cheesy way and introduce a beautiful feminine villainess which also turns out to be a class mate of Dick Grayson.

The show could explore his relationship with Alfred, Bruce and maybe some other heroes. It could start off slow and then as the seasons would progress his relationship with Bruce would harden and eventually they could introduce Nightwing.

Actually this was something I thought of years ago. I’m surprised they’re doing a Graysons show and then going in such a strange direction.

What do you guys think of the concept?

William15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #39
cryptic name
No Limits

I would kill to get a serious Batman television series. My approach would be to use the Nolan films as a sort of vague history. Batman will have been active for 3-4 years. The pilot would introduce Bruce Wayne/Batman, Commissioner Gordon and a few important cops (possibly Harvey Bullock and Renee Montoya), Alfred Pennyworth, and Selina Kyle, among others. Even with the tone and history of the Nolan films, I would include some of the villains Nolan wouldn't, like Clayface and Mr. Freeze. The running story through the first season would culminate in the reappearance of The Joker for a 2 part season finale. The Season 2 would be the introduction of Dick Grayson, with the arc of the season ending with him becoming Robin.

The episodes could switch from CSI-esque procedurals, all out action, horror, mystery, and some could even focus on the Gotham Police and give us something like Gotham Central.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #40
ALP
In The Mountains

Agreed, that would be a terrific idea but I wouldn't want it to be a continuation of what Nolan did. Nolan's Batman is what we see on film, television is such a different beast that it should be a reboot of it's own. However, a full television series with great production value would probably require a budget of $250 Million if not more. The recent Spielberg produced show "The Pacific" had a budget of $170 Million and that was only a miniseries. Imagine what a full Batman show would need.

But I'm not interested in a spin off type thing. It's just too cheap for me. When it comes to superheroes, it's like television is a lower form than cinema and must succumb to something lower. Instead of Superman, a tv show has got to be about Clark on a farm. I don't like Smallville at all. And I couldn't stand the idea of a Bruce Wayne show pre-Batman. Things like that just completely disinterest me. Just give us the full on superhero.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #41
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I'd like to see Bruce travel the world mastering everything he needs to know to become the world's greatest detective/crime-fighter starting around 12 years old.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #42
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Agreed, that would be a terrific idea but I wouldn't want it to be a continuation of what Nolan did. Nolan's Batman is what we see on film, television is such a different beast that it should be a reboot of it's own. However, a full television series with great production value would probably require a budget of $250 Million if not more. The recent Spielberg produced show "The Pacific" had a budget of $170 Million and that was only a miniseries. Imagine what a full Batman show would need.

But I'm not interested in a spin off type thing. It's just too cheap for me. When it comes to superheroes, it's like television is a lower form than cinema and must succumb to something lower. Instead of Superman, a tv show has got to be about Clark on a farm. I don't like Smallville at all. And I couldn't stand the idea of a Bruce Wayne show pre-Batman. Things like that just completely disinterest me. Just give us the full on superhero.
i wouldn't want it to follow nolan's trilogy to the letter, but just in a way that we can use it to fill in the gap of Batman's past so there's no need for an origin story. and it can be assumed that Batman's been around for a while, he's established a relationship with Gordon, faced the joker and a few other rogues and gangsters before the start of the series.

the budget is a problem, but if you can spend the most money on the pilot, for things the suit, the car, and the sets, then you can use those big cost items for the rest of the series. like they did with LOST.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #43
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Just do a straight-up Batman show.

The budget doesn't have to be enormous. It's amazing that they've done Superman several times, Wonder Woman, Flash, but no Batman since the 60s. He's the only one who doesn't have superpowers that require special effects!

You can tell a ton of Batman stories with a modest budget, especially if you keep it in a grounded universe. You can do most Joker stories, Two-Face, Penguin, Catwoman, Basil Karloff Clayface, Mr. Zsasz, Ventriloquist, Riddler, Hugo Strange, Black Mask, Scarecrow, on and on and on, all with relatively little money.

Good crime stories, good mysteries, lots of room for character development for supporting players like Alfred and Gordon. A lower budget may even be beneficial. Trim the fat and strip Batman down to his essentials - a fighter and a detective, solving crimes and kicking butts.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #44
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

There's a reason why CK hasn't all out donned the cape + spandex (I don't care what it's actually made of, I'm trying to make a point. :| ), because an out and out cape and cowl wearing character in a live action series from the get-go wouldn't be taken seriously.

TV is a returning medium. If sections of the audience saw a guy jumping rooftops in a leather mask and body armour with soulfuly intesnse music and a sweeping crane cam... they would immediately roll eyes and dismiss it, and wouldn't tune in again.

Also, I think a Batman TV series (as much as I and every other Bats fan would love it) to the general would be seen as another Batman medium in an already hyped up entertainment industry that revolves around Batman with the Nolan-verse still continuing.
If there was no live-action Bats following TDK, then maybe in another 2-3 years it might've been viable... but now, I see it as being oversaturation for a general audience.
Not to even mention the intense pressure a show like that will have to be great from the get go which, again in a TV medium where shows are allowed to gain momentum and grow over time, might not work for a Batman TV series.

Comment + Subscribe! Your support is appreciated! :D
TheShah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #45
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
A puppy dies every day they don't make a Gotham Central series. IT MUST BE DONE.
This.
I could see happening a lot more and being done better than a Batman-centric show.

Comment + Subscribe! Your support is appreciated! :D
TheShah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #46
Jordacar
The Endless One

Thought I'd get this thread going again:

Why a Batman live-action TV series is a good idea

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #47
Homer J. Fong
Not a golem

I know I've talked about wanting to see a new live action series somewhere on these forums, but I can't remember where. Anyway, this is what I want to see next. I don't want it to be soon - give it several years for the sake of distancing it from the Chris Nolan movies. I won't mention that it's also because my dream is to be the showrunner on said series, and I'm in no position to do that yet. But that's a pipe dream, so I won't mention it.

In live action adaptations, Batman's been the most exposed of any superhero, because he's been the most successful. Counting the serials, Batman's made nine appearances in live action on the big screen, and we're awaiting the tenth; he's made two significant appearances in live action on the small screen, and they were both high camp (the '66-'68 show, and the yes-that-actually-happened Legends of the Superheroes in '79). You could make the argument that Daredevil, The Punisher, or a number of other, more obscure comic book heroes are far more in need of a good live action TV series than Batman; I'd love to see a Daredevil and/or Punisher series done well, because not only have they not been done well on live action TV, they haven't been done really well in live action. That there have been numerous good animated Batman TV series makes the argument for a new live action one more of a reach (Batman: The Animated Series/The New Batman Adventures is, I'd argue, the best adaptation of a comic book character for television to date).

So why should Batman be brought back to the world of live action TV? Well, because a serious Batman TV series in live action is something we've never seen before. And isn't that the point? To keep doing things that we've never seen before with a character that's been around longer than any of us have?

There are three big reasons to do this:

1) The chance to do long-form stories that can't be told with quite the same breadth even in a film on the level of The Dark Knight Rises. You could do The Long Halloween/Dark Victory, you could do No Man's Land, any number of major arcs. Sometimes that would mean a very literal adaptation that's barely adaptation, but it wouldn't be that straight-up all the time. Serialized storytelling certainly doesn't always work on TV, but the possibilities here seem like they could be endless. It doesn't have to begin and end with major comic book arcs. More exciting is that you could develop some relationships to an extent that you can't quite in the space of a 2-hour or 2.5-hour feature; we could really dig into the eternal battle between Batman and The Joker, Batman and Catwoman/Bruce and Selina could be a romance (or two) that really anchors the series, we could see The Penguin in a constant struggle for legitimacy or at least the perception of it, and build him into an actual threat without the grotesquerie of the Burton version (which I love, but I don't want to see that take repeated), on and on. The Nolan films have had a continuity, a scope, and an ambition that I love, appreciate, and admire hugely. A serialized Batman TV show could do even more.

2) The chance to explore different tones. Tones, plural. I want a show that has the freedom and the ability to move from one tone and style to another from week to week – not in a bad, uncertain way, but in a positive, eclectic way. I want to be able to go from moody gothic fairy tale to contemporary crime drama, but also anything beyond or in between. I want an adaptation of “Arkham Asylum” (the graphic novel), then an adaptation of “The Joker’s Five-Way Revenge.” I want a lighter adventure story one week, an intense serial killer story the next. I want a splashy superhero tale one week, a relatively low-key detective story the next. I’m excited by the possibility of doing any kind of Batman story without losing the consistency of the characters within it.

3) The chance to “bring to life” some characters who couldn’t carry a movie, but deserve a chance, or a second chance, in this form. Poison Ivy, The Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, Zsasz, Black Mask, these characters aren’t going to be at the center of a feature film any time soon anyway, but I’d love to see new stories with them in this medium.

The ideal, of course, is that this show would be on HBO, and, fortunately, that only makes sense because HBO is a Time Warner company just as DC and Warner Bros. Pictures are.

BATMAN FOREVER
SCENE BY SCENE
Homer J. Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #48
Jordacar
The Endless One

Some cool ideas, I definitely agree with 1 and 3, though I'm not sure exploring different tones would fly on live-action. Personally I really want to see a series with a consistent tone, at least for the first few seasons. If the show is successful for awhile, then they could go a little nuts after they've established the world.

But why does it have to be on HBO?

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #49
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

This is really unlikely that there will be a show but honestly i would not even want to see a batman tv series unless it were on a premium cable channel. They would be the only ones to do the source material justice.

I'm talking HBO, Showtime, and maybe AMC (the walking dead could be a lot better).

Networks have shown they are incapable of pulling off quality super hero shows.
Also production wise superhero's look ridiculous in lower budget scenarios as they would find themselves on network.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #50
OP84CC82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadian View Post
No offense, but seriously? Chistopher Nolan HATES Batman. He has turned Batman into a high tech gadget Guru, this is not an opinion, it's a fact, even though Batman Uses Gadgets, He is an up close get your hands dirty fighter. Batman is a detective (HIM-NOT HIS FRIENDS) and you can go back to all other solitary superhero films from Superman to Spiderman- The New Green lantern- The Flash, SO MANY and they all wear their colors, they may have a few minor differences but with Batman the rule is that the movies mean all Black, look at Arkham Asylum (the game) what a great look! That is THIS GENERATIONS Batman. And what about Christian Bale? He sounds like a throat cancer patient. Batman is Stern, and reserved, Bale ruins the movies for me. And seriously? The padding he wears? its too futuristic and not enough vigilante, Nolans Batman feels UNTOUCHABLE, NOOO! Batman frequently gets beaten, and then OVERCOMES, that is what His appeal is, his very HUMAN limitations. Then no grappling Hook? No scaling roofs? (tokyo scene in DK does not coun't as it made the feat seem impossible for batman when in comics this is everyday stuff for him.) It is hard for me to see BATMAN fans like The Dark Knight, or even Batman Begins. I CAN see how someone who is uneducated in his origins and 60 years of Comic book history who is simply a movie fan can like them. Nolans Batman takes the flavor out of WHAT MAKES BATMAN- BATMAN. You tend to like the criminals in those films far more than Batman, who seems like a disturbance in an otherwise good film. Not only that, but the "LOOK" of Gotham is horrible and could double as metropolis. Batman is a SURREAL character and Gotham is a Surreal Universe, as soon as you try to make it seem like it would be in REAL LIFE, you have lost it's magic.
You clearly don't understand that #1. Nolan is trying to make these films realistic, that's the real draw of this series., #2. Is there a real problem trying to make the costume based on real-life protective materials, and no that is NOT this generation's Batman. #3. You obviously weren't paying attention to this little item if you think the grappling hook wasn't in the film:

and #4. High-tech? Oh please. If that counts as high-tech, then bulletproof vests and ceramic plating must be high-tech too am I correct?

OP84CC82 is offline   Reply With Quote