The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

View Poll Results: Rating for The Avengers?
10 134 59.29%
9 57 25.22%
8 28 12.39%
7 5 2.21%
6 0 0%
5 1 0.44%
4 0 0%
3 1 0.44%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #901
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - P

Thanks C. Lee.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #902
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - P

CAUGHT THIS LAST NIGHT FROM BANGLADESH ! UP THER EAMONG THE BEST SUPERHERO FILMS EVER MADE!

i felt like a kid again

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 05-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #903
Big and green
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I think a technical aspect of the film that gets overlooked is the editing and scene transitioning. I really think some of the scene transitions are inspired.

For example i love how it has Fury talking to the shadow council, and he says wars are won by soldiers, it then transitions to Rogers in the gym, where he and Fury talk, it finishes with Steve telling him "You should have left it (Tesseract) in the water. Cuts to Iron Man under water setting up a power line for Stark Tower. It finishes with Stark looking at all the info about the other Avengers, then it transitions to Cap talking to Coulson on the Quinjet, about how the world has changed, which then transitions to Loki and the part where he converses with "The Other", showing that it is not "old fashioned" any more. Another one that stood out to me was when they are on the Helicarrier and Widow shows Banner to his lab, then it cuts to Selvig in his lab. Also the entire sequence in Germany and the build up, the way the orchestra is playing, Loki is walking around, mixed with Cap suiting up.

These little details show that a lot of thought went into the editing and scene transitioning. Great stuff. Helps the pacing and it keeps the story flowing seamlessly. Compare that with something like Green Lantern, where the editing and scene transitioning is just all over the place and rarely makes any sense. It just seems so random.

Avengers is a well oiled machine where every little detail has a lot of thought put into it. I think if there is any awards Avengers should be nominated for editing has got to be one of them.
This is a great observation that I don't think people have really picked up on. The way this movie was put together as a movie fan (directed/camera use/sound editing, and so many more) is something to admire. The tone set in this movie really opens the door for newer fans, people who didn't see all of "phase 1" of the MCU. You didn't have to see those movies to understand "The Avengers", but if you have seen em it really drags you farther into that world. Not that my opinion matters much on things, I'm a comic book fan, but not a fanatic. I know the mythos of the characters, and seeing them brought into live action movies, really takes it to the "Star Wars" level. Kinda a backwards reference but "Star wars" started as a movie/expanded into books, shows and comics. Where as Marvel has done it the other way around.

Just some quick hits after reading fan posts:
1) The movie-verse will only loosely follow the source material, this is the movies chance to build its own world and tell the story they want to tell. Example: depowering certain characters and objects.

2) You can't see Hulks reflection in the monitor! It's a green screened monitor, of course Ruffs reflection will look green. Duh! Proof: you can see Ruffs glasses in the reflection.

3) There will be no Thor clone, the dagger scene is just good camera work and editing putting two shots in one.

4) Thor is not portrayed as invincible like some people had said. He definatly shows the effect of the dagger, and Hulk was whooping his a** until the jet lures him out.

I loved these 6 movies can't wait to see where they take the rest of it.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #904
Big and green
Side-Kick

Oh and Cap's suit is like Batman's. It's not a helmet it's a mask/cowl.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #905
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big and green View Post
4) Thor is not portrayed as invincible like some people had said. He definatly shows the effect of the dagger, and Hulk was whooping his a** until the jet lures him out.
Well to be fair Thor was winning at various points in the fight as well, he was still in fighting shape when the jet came.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #906
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Well to be fair Thor was winning at various points in the fight as well, he was still in fighting shape when the jet came.
Agreed. And Thor is obviously more mindful that he's in an aerial vehicle and if he starts letting it all loose (lighting and all) he'll most likely fry all the people around and crash the hellicarrier, which is precisely what he was trying to avoid by stopping the Hulk. Thor was clearly holding back.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #907
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Agreed. And Thor is obviously more mindful that he's in an aerial vehicle and if he starts letting it all loose (lighting and all) he'll most likely fry all the people around and crash the hellicarrier, which is precisely what he was trying to avoid by stopping the Hulk. Thor was clearly holding back.
Yeah if it wasn't for Thor there would've been a much bigger death count and the helicarrier probably would've been destroyed.

So all in all Thor did his job, I was pretty impressed that he was able to do so well without the use of most of his powers.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #908
Big and green
Side-Kick

I'm not saying that he didn't do the right thing or anything like that, I just read a bunch of people on here criticizing the movie saying how Thor never took damage. I agree with you guys on all points. But Hulk was kinda throwing him around at the very end.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #909
Big and green
Side-Kick

And mjolnir did crash through some walls of the hellicarrier. Lol

Old 05-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #910
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I'm not saying that he didn't do the right thing or anything like that, I just read a bunch of people on here criticizing the movie saying how Thor never took damage. I agree with you guys on all points. But Hulk was kinda throwing him around at the very end.
All Hulk did was slam him once then throw him into some boxes, it's not like he was sitting there pounding on him.

The next time the camera showed Thor he was fairly unharmed and had recovered completely.

Quote:
And mjolnir did crash through some walls of the hellicarrier. Lol
Small potatoes compared to an out of control rage monster don't you think?

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 05-19-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #911
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
All Hulk did was slam him once then throw him into some boxes, it's not like he was sitting there pounding on him.
Well to be fair, there was a lot of off screen "implied" tossing around. Like when he hit the ground, and we just see Hulk's hand grabbing him and pulling him off screen before it cuts back to other happenings aboard the ship. And then when the jet approaches, you can see in the distance Hulk throwing him around again through the windows from the jet's POV.

But like you said, he was still unharmed (other than that initial bloody nose).

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #912
The Morningstar
Banned User

Thor only hit Hulk with the hammer once, and it dazed him. After that he just tried to put him in a sleeper hold. Now imagine them outside in the open with no chance of collateral damage, it'd be a much more even fight.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #913
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

I think how the fight is going on or what happened offscreen depends from the fan perspective and what you want to see. As a Thor fan I'm glad that Thor was equal to Hulk - in other words, I don't care if Hulk throws Thor around at the end. Thor dominates Hulk at the beginning clearly. He stopped a punch with his bare hands, lands this uppercut with Mjolnir and so on.

A Hulk fan may see this completely different. Hulk lands some hard hits, that's true.

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 2

IRON MAN 3 / THOR – THE DARK WORLD / CAPTAIN AMERICA – THE WINTER SOLDIER / GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY/ AVENGERS – AGE OF ULTRON
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #914
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well to be fair, there was a lot of off screen "implied" tossing around. Like when he hit the ground, and we just see Hulk's hand grabbing him and pulling him off screen before it cuts back to other happenings aboard the ship. And then when the jet approaches, you can see in the distance Hulk throwing him around again through the windows from the jet's POV.

But like you said, he was still unharmed (other than that initial bloody nose).
Nah nothing happens off screen, Hulk slamming Thor and throwing him was a continuation of the scene where he grabbed Thor's face.

Just as the scene where Thor recovers after flying through the wall was a continuation of the scene where Hulk punched him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Thor only hit Hulk with the hammer once, and it dazed him. After that he just tried to put him in a sleeper hold. Now imagine them outside in the open with no chance of collateral damage, it'd be a much more even fight.
Yeah Thor holding his own against Hulk without the use of his other powers was pretty damn impressive imo.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #915
Big and green
Side-Kick

Haha I'm glad I sparked such debate! It went off on a little tangent but... I too am glad Thor is equal to Hulk as it should be. I was just saying Hulk landed some shots, and yes if it wasn't in the hellicarrier it would have had a lot more damage.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #916
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Haha I'm glad I sparked such debate! It went off on a little tangent but... I too am glad Thor is equal to Hulk as it should be. I was just saying Hulk landed some shots, and yes if it wasn't in the hellicarrier it would have had a lot more damage.
I think everyone is pretty much on the same accord, but yeah both characters were done justice imo.

As a Thor fan, I was thoroughly satisfied if I do say so myself.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #917
Big and green
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think everyone is pretty much on the same accord, but yeah both characters were done justice imo.

As a Thor fan, I was thoroughly satisfied if I do say so myself.
More than satisfied. Hulk Smash!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #918
50yroldfffan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
I think how the fight is going on or what happened offscreen depends from the fan perspective and what you want to see. As a Thor fan I'm glad that Thor was equal to Hulk - in other words, I don't care if Hulk throws Thor around at the end. Thor dominates Hulk at the beginning clearly. He stopped a punch with his bare hands, lands this uppercut with Mjolnir and so on.

A Hulk fan may see this completely different. Hulk lands some hard hits, that's true.
I loved the fight! was stunned when Thor held the Hulk at bay as he tried to talk sense into him. That was so cool then all hell broke loose!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #919
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Went and saw it for the fourth time today.....still a fantastic movie.....

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #920
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah I can't get over how AWESOME it is.
My kids have a few Friends in their teens who all love it. When we saw it lastnight, it was like Parents taking their kids out to see it together. Just seems like lately that both parents and kids went to see their own films. Avengers brings them both!

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #921
darthmagic
Side-Kick

I think it was a great fight and is left up to the viewer to decide. As a Hulk fan i thought it was prety clear he was stronger, but Thor definately showed that his strength is up there with the Hulk as well. No one was made to feel less than they really are and that's good.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #922
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

One aspect I definitely enjoyed was The Other. His way of speaking was insanely comic book-ish.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #923
BobbyCorwin88

So I thought I'd write up a little review while I've got some off time at work. Figured it's about time, sorry if it's a little lengthy... or not.

So I've seen the film twice now and it was definitely a blast both times I watched it. Definitely a great way to start off the summer movie season and it's great to know that a comic book movie has had the highest grossing numbers pretty much of all time. I can't say I was anything but pleased with the film as a whole and I absolutely enjoyed it, however, seeing it twice was pretty much enough for me.

So let's start with the highs, I guess I'll just break this down by focusing mainly on the characters:

SHIELD
If anything, this movie really proved to me that a SHIELD movie is not only doable, but with Jackson, Johannsen and Renner on board, it would be highly enjoyable. I didn't really expect to care for SHIELD too much throughout this film, but I'll be damned if they didn't surprise me. BW took a big step up this time around and I was really pleased with Scarlett's delivery. She's miles away from what she was portrayed as in IM2. Great change.

Although Hawkeye didn't have as much screen time, he was definitely the bomb. Had me wishing that he had a bigger role to play in Thor, but oh well. Brainwashed or not, Renner just played a straight cool character. I loved how they showcased how exactly he uses his trick arrows (i.e. how the quiver adds the tip when he presses the command on the bow), very cool stuff. Would have loved to see him wear the sunglasses, but there's always next time I guess.

Fury was Fury. Not much else to say really. I don't think that he necessarily floored me, but Jackson was definitely Fury through and through. I guess that's what happens when a role is practically written with you personality completely in mind.

Maria Hill, meh. I never really liked her in the comics so I didn't expect to like her here either. Smulders had kind of bland delivery at times and she didn't really contribute a whole lot. But she's kind of cute, so I guess that's all that mattered for this go around.

And what can I say about the late Phil Coulson? Overall, I've been kind of indifferent towards Gregg's character throughout the MCU, but he definitely had a lot more personality in this film, and I think killing him off was the right move. He had a very good send-off and his death really did serve a good purpose. I wouldn't say his death really helped all of the team put their best foot forward, Cap and most of the others already seemed motivated enough, but it definitely served a good purpose for Tony. Stark seemed to be the one most affected by his death and it really caused him to rethink his selfishness and become a team player. Really helped spurn his motivation.

RIP Coulson.

And with that I have to get back to work. Part 2 a little later..... if anyone cares. kbye

Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #924
mc7791
The boys have arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Yeah I can't get over how AWESOME it is.
My kids have a few Friends in their teens who all love it. When we saw it lastnight, it was like Parents taking their kids out to see it together. Just seems like lately that both parents and kids went to see their own films. Avengers brings them both!
and the sad thing is that a movie like this that families and Avengers fans like me (Im an adult but a kid at heart) can enjoy this movie thoroughly. It has witty banter, the humor generates real laughs without having to offensive like the Dictator or raunchy like the Hangover or just stupid like how Sandlers new movie Thats my Boy(which I have no intention of seeing), and doesnt rely on just affects to take the place of a good story and acting like Battleship looks to have done. Its rare that a movie like this works on so many levels and that so many people can enjoy it an keep enjoying it. Part of me wishes I had children of my own to take to this movie. That is another story and not the right place here. I am also happy because it centers around my favorite iconic heroes.

On a different note I agree about all the points about the Thor/Hulk fight. Thor had a great showing and looks to be as powerful as he should be and not depowered. I hope there is a rematch in the sequel

Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #925
flash13
Wally West

Just got back from a second viewing, still a good fun movie. For some reason this second time made me really excited for Thor 2.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2, May 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past, July 18
Guardians of the Galaxy, August 1
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1, November 21

Avengers: Age of Ultron, May 1
Jurassic World, June 12
The Fantastic Four, June 19
Ant-Man, July 31
Assassin's Creed, August 7

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 2, November 20
Star Wars: Episode VII, December 18
Closed Thread