The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

View Poll Results: Rating for The Avengers?
10 134 59.29%
9 57 25.22%
8 28 12.39%
7 5 2.21%
6 0 0%
5 1 0.44%
4 0 0%
3 1 0.44%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #926
Big and green
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCorwin88 View Post
BW took a big step up this time around and I was really pleased with Scarlett's delivery. She's miles away from what she was portrayed as in IM2. Great change
Is it just me, or did the "red on my ledger" stuff seem really corny, I don't know if it's the way it's written or the saying itself, or if it's Scarlett. I'm just not sure.

I thought she was good in IM2, I just don't have believe ability to see her shooting guns, she looks fine when she's doing the close combat. It's just when she's shooting the guns.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #927
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - P

Can you see ANY woman looking realistic shooting guns? Because that is pretty much how any chick would look with dual pistols.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #928
Big and green
Side-Kick

Haha true. Good point.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #929
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

My brother and his fiancee just got back from seeing it and loved the humor.
They're Joss fans lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Last edited by Vartha; 05-20-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #930
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

I enjoyed it immensely, and the biggest bonus was I haven't been around here during all of its hype to get over saturated with the hype. I went into the movie totally "out of the know" so to speak and it was wonderful....

Old 05-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #931
Big and green
Side-Kick

Welcome to the party! It's pretty awesome.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #932
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmagic View Post
I think it was a great fight and is left up to the viewer to decide. As a Hulk fan i thought it was prety clear he was stronger, but Thor definately showed that his strength is up there with the Hulk as well. No one was made to feel less than they really are and that's good.
Yeah Hulk was stronger, but it has to be that way because if Thor was stronger it wouldn't make any sense to have Hulk on the team.

Thor has a **** load of other powers, so making him the strongest one on the team would render Hulk useless.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #933
Big and green
Side-Kick

Woah woah woah, I don't know about all that. I believe that they are at least equal. They could both take it to another level if needed/wanted. Where as Cap, IM, and shield are limited. If I was judging it I would have to call it a draw. I agree with the point of if it takes place in somewhere like Wakanda, holy cow!!! Those two would have really let loose. Thor's lightning would be interesting...

Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #934
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
One aspect I definitely enjoyed was The Other. His way of speaking was insanely comic book-ish.
Yea, it was straight up Kirby/Starlin style dialogue.

That's why i've always loved Marvels cosmic mythology. It's like a mix of sci-fi and Shakespeare/medieval/old English.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #935
darthmagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah Hulk was stronger, but it has to be that way because if Thor was stronger it wouldn't make any sense to have Hulk on the team.

Thor has a **** load of other powers, so making him the strongest one on the team would render Hulk useless.
I agree. Which is why i argued before seeing the movie that it wouldn't make sense for Thor to be physically stronger than the Hulk. Thor's strength accentuates is other abilities while the Hulks core ability is strength. All in all i thought the fight was handled as well as it could have without belitting either of the big guns.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #936
50yroldfffan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCorwin88 View Post
So I thought I'd write up a little review while I've got some off time at work. Figured it's about time, sorry if it's a little lengthy... or not.

So I've seen the film twice now and it was definitely a blast both times I watched it. Definitely a great way to start off the summer movie season and it's great to know that a comic book movie has had the highest grossing numbers pretty much of all time. I can't say I was anything but pleased with the film as a whole and I absolutely enjoyed it, however, seeing it twice was pretty much enough for me.

So let's start with the highs, I guess I'll just break this down by focusing mainly on the characters:

SHIELD
If anything, this movie really proved to me that a SHIELD movie is not only doable, but with Jackson, Johannsen and Renner on board, it would be highly enjoyable. I didn't really expect to care for SHIELD too much throughout this film, but I'll be damned if they didn't surprise me. BW took a big step up this time around and I was really pleased with Scarlett's delivery. She's miles away from what she was portrayed as in IM2. Great change.

Although Hawkeye didn't have as much screen time, he was definitely the bomb. Had me wishing that he had a bigger role to play in Thor, but oh well. Brainwashed or not, Renner just played a straight cool character. I loved how they showcased how exactly he uses his trick arrows (i.e. how the quiver adds the tip when he presses the command on the bow), very cool stuff. Would have loved to see him wear the sunglasses, but there's always next time I guess.

Fury was Fury. Not much else to say really. I don't think that he necessarily floored me, but Jackson was definitely Fury through and through. I guess that's what happens when a role is practically written with you personality completely in mind.

Maria Hill, meh. I never really liked her in the comics so I didn't expect to like her here either. Smulders had kind of bland delivery at times and she didn't really contribute a whole lot. But she's kind of cute, so I guess that's all that mattered for this go around.

And what can I say about the late Phil Coulson? Overall, I've been kind of indifferent towards Gregg's character throughout the MCU, but he definitely had a lot more personality in this film, and I think killing him off was the right move. He had a very good send-off and his death really did serve a good purpose. I wouldn't say his death really helped all of the team put their best foot forward, Cap and most of the others already seemed motivated enough, but it definitely served a good purpose for Tony. Stark seemed to be the one most affected by his death and it really caused him to rethink his selfishness and become a team player. Really helped spurn his motivation.

RIP Coulson.

And with that I have to get back to work. Part 2 a little later..... if anyone cares. kbye
we care! looking forward to the rest :-)

Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #937
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I enjoyed it immensely, and the biggest bonus was I haven't been around here during all of its hype to get over saturated with the hype. I went into the movie totally "out of the know" so to speak and it was wonderful....
glad you liked it Kel! We miss ya around here lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #938
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big and green View Post
Woah woah woah, I don't know about all that. I believe that they are at least equal. They could both take it to another level if needed/wanted. Where as Cap, IM, and shield are limited. If I was judging it I would have to call it a draw. I agree with the point of if it takes place in somewhere like Wakanda, holy cow!!! Those two would have really let loose. Thor's lightning would be interesting...
How can you disagree?

Hulk's core ability is being strength and it's just one of Thor's abilities, so Hulk HAS to be stronger because strength is his "shtick".

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmagic View Post
I agree. Which is why i argued before seeing the movie that it wouldn't make sense for Thor to be physically stronger than the Hulk. Thor's strength accentuates is other abilities while the Hulks core ability is strength. All in all i thought the fight was handled as well as it could have without belitting either of the big guns.
QFT

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #939
Big and green
Side-Kick

I've really gotten confused on this topic. Hulk is useless if Thor is as strong? How so? Is BW useless cause Hawkeye is a better shot? jk

Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #940
The Morningstar
Banned User

I think the point is, super strength is all Hulk's really got. So if they show Thor have just as impressive strength feats, it kinda takes away from what makes Hulk special.

Thor is clearly shown to be physically strong, but it's not his main trait. He's got more varied powers, so show them off more than his strength. Let Hulk have the ridiculous strength feats.

What Joss did was great really. Hulk gets that awesome moment where he one shots the leviathan with a punch. Then Thor has that moment where he uses the Chrysler Building and himself as a lightning conductor and one shots a leviathan and a load of "rider" things.

Thus is the genius of Whedon. Not only does he expertly balance the character moments, but he balances the action too. The action scenes are just extensions of the characters and their personalities. The action itself is character moments.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #941
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I've really gotten confused on this topic. Hulk is useless if Thor is as strong? How so? Is BW useless cause Hawkeye is a better shot? jk
Yeah dude Hulk has to be the strongest since it's his core power where as Thor has several other powers.

It's not that hard to understand really, it's pretty much common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I think the point is, super strength is all Hulk's really got. So if they show Thor have just as impressive strength feats, it kinda takes away from what makes Hulk special.

Thor is clearly shown to be physically strong, but it's not his main trait. He's got more varied powers, so show them off more than his strength. Let Hulk have the ridiculous strength feats.

What Joss did was great really. Hulk gets that awesome moment where he one shots the leviathan with a punch. Then Thor has that moment where he uses the Chrysler Building and himself as a lightning conductor and one shots a leviathan and a load of "rider" things.

Thus is the genius of Whedon. Not only does he expertly balance the character moments, but he balances the action too. The action scenes are just extensions of the characters and their personalities. The action itself is character moments.
Exactly

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #942
Big and green
Side-Kick

I was kidding. Sorry to upset you. You smart I'm dumb.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #943
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I was kidding. Sorry to upset you. You smart I'm dumb.
Upset? Why would I be upset?

It's all good bro, no hard feelings over here.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #944
The Morningstar
Banned User

It's all cool pedro.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #945
Big and green
Side-Kick

Right on.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #946
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Glad you liked it Kel....and nice to see you back.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #947
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Saw it a third time. I just noticed that right beore hulk catches IM, Thor is about to take flight and catch him.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #948
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I noticed that the very first time.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #949
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Glad you liked it Kel....and nice to see you back.
Visiting for the weekend.....I'll be back to the grind Monday. BUT, I won't have the crazy Summer of conventions like I did last summer so maybe a few more visits will happen.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #950
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

I noticed again that when Thor destroys that Leviathan with lightning when he's on the Chrysler Building, a rainbow appears briefly within all the explosions.

Closed Thread