The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #26
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

So instead of having Sharon Carter, you want another character to act like Sharon Carter......no thanks.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
BobJM
Who's Bad?

I don't think her character would be compromised if in the MCU she worked with Captain America before joining the Avengers.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #28
Majik1387

I'm not saying Danvers would be compromised I'm saying why cut out Sharon Carter, a character who would work better in Cap's storyline, just to place Ms. Marvel when she can be placed in another movie or just have her own solo movie from the get-go.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Waitress' name tag definitely said Beth on it. Saw TA again last night and saw it as they were scrolling through all the TV reactions in the aftermath of the battle

Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #30
Ursa
Villainess

As Sharon Carter or another kick ass role, I'd love to see Abbie Cornish next to Chris Evans in Captain America 2, they'd make a beautiful couple.

Plus, she's a great actress.

I was the first one to suggest her name, on Hayley Atwell topic. Glad people like it.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #31
Majik1387

Cornish is better suited for Ms Marvel.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Cornish is better suited for Ms Marvel.

Yeah, I'm definitely down with Abbie as Carol.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #33
Ursa
Villainess

For Ms. Marvel I would go with someone like Jessica Biel.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #34
Silvermoth
Avenger

Meh. I don't really like Biel. I think she relies on her looks a bit too much. Steve and Sharon should have an almost Rock Hudson/Doris Day style chemistry

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Diane Kruger would be a great Sharon Carter, imo.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 05-25-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #36
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Let's make Sam Wilson the love interest for Cap. C'mon, it's 2012....get with the program, America

Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #37
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
Other. The Sharon/Cap dynamic has always held an underlying creepiness for me.

And honestly, I'd be completely okay with no love interest. Just give me a spy-type thriller movie where Cap, Hawkeye, and Widow go around kick ass and taking names.

I agree with this. Steve's relationship with Sharon not only has bizarrely creepy overtones, but it also smacked of desperation and grief on his part. When he awoke form the ice he latched on to a woman who not only resembled his lost love, but was related to her (sister/niece/whatever). And Sharon knew about that dynamic, knew how the relationship hurt her sister (in the original version), and was happy to be second best for a man who was using her as a substitute for his first lover. It was unhealthy all around and far too much like a soap opera to really work. (The fact that Sharon Carter never had much of a personality only made the situation that much worse.)

If I had my way, the writers of CA2 would either leave Steve unhappily single and focused on the mission at hand, or they would give him a love interest who was wholly normal and unconnected to his life as a superhero. Steve's ex-fiancee Bernie Rosenthal would be ideal, or a character very similar to her. Bernie was a very dynamic and interesting woman in her own right and quite a good match for Steve. She was originally an artist/glassblower, which gave them a talent in common as Steve is a commercial artist. He's an old fashioned guy so it makes sense that he would choose a normal, old fashioned girl like Bernie. Not all love interests have to be super, or soapy.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #38
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Let's make Sam Wilson the love interest for Cap. C'mon, it's 2012....get with the program, America

That could work. Steve and Sam are perfect as partners, they were great friends and extremely compatible. I'm not so sure how it would go over, though. After the furor about Nick Fury and Heimdall I'm afraid that race is still a sensitive issue, even in this day and age.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #39
Majik1387

There was little furor over those characters, especially Heimdall.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #40
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Sharon Carter needs to be similar Hayley Atwell/Peggy, a femme fatale. An unassuming gorgeous lady who could break your neck along with confidently handling large guns. Alice Eve is perfect since she was originally in the running for Peggy not to mention attached to play Emma Frost for Fox before dropping out over how terrible her character was in the script. Eve seems to still be in good favor with Marvel as she's also rumored for Amora The Enchantress or another possible part. Alice lived in both the UK and the Sates so she can juggle both accents. She's also going to be better known to international audiences thanks to MIB3 and Star Trek 2 (more action oriented role) next year with possible Doctor Strange/Ant-Man candidate Benedict Cumberbatch.

Alice on Ferguson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHk8OjGjso4

Last edited by Christopher_M; 05-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #41
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ I can actually see that happening.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
Ursa
Villainess

I still prefer Abbie Cornish.

Alice Eve could be Ms Marvel and Diane Kruger could be as Amora.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #43
Majik1387

Or the actors can all be put in the roles they'd be better in.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #44
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ let me guess

Eve - Enchantress
Cornish - Carol
Kruger - Sharon

Old 05-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
Majik1387

Almost, Cornish or Kruger for Ms Marvel, Righetti for Carter.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #46
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I honestly wonder if they'll even have Sharon actually related to Peggy in the MCU considering on how previous Marvel films have ignored certain key relationships between other characters. Case in point:

1. X-Men: They never allude or state Nightcrawler is supposed to be Mystique's child, or that Rogue is her daugther.

2. Thor: Heimdell's relationship with Sif as siblings is never established.

Thus if Marvel finds it too creepy as well but want to use Sharon somehow, they can either say that they aren't related and that Sharon just took up peggy's Last name as a homage to her; we could say that Sharon grew up idolizing Peggy's heroics back in World War 2 or something.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
Majik1387

I don't see Marvel ignoring this family tie.

As for Heimdall and Sif, just because it wasn't established doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Same for Mystique, Nightcrawler and Rogue; however in the X-films, they've been more open to changes in adaptation.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #48
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I agree with this. Steve's relationship with Sharon not only has bizarrely creepy overtones, but it also smacked of desperation and grief on his part. When he awoke form the ice he latched on to a woman who not only resembled his lost love, but was related to her (sister/niece/whatever). And Sharon knew about that dynamic, knew how the relationship hurt her sister (in the original version), and was happy to be second best for a man who was using her as a substitute for his first lover. It was unhealthy all around and far too much like a soap opera to really work. (The fact that Sharon Carter never had much of a personality only made the situation that much worse.)

If I had my way, the writers of CA2 would either leave Steve unhappily single and focused on the mission at hand, or they would give him a love interest who was wholly normal and unconnected to his life as a superhero. Steve's ex-fiancee Bernie Rosenthal would be ideal, or a character very similar to her. Bernie was a very dynamic and interesting woman in her own right and quite a good match for Steve. She was originally an artist/glassblower, which gave them a talent in common as Steve is a commercial artist. He's an old fashioned guy so it makes sense that he would choose a normal, old fashioned girl like Bernie. Not all love interests have to be super, or soapy.
Thank you. Dating your ex's grand-niece is creepy weird, and they have the same last name, so you can't ignore it. It's the same with Cyclops getting with, having a kid with and then suddenly leaving Madelyne Pryor, the Jean Grey look-alike. It's ultra-douchey, and pretty frikkin creepy but we just kinda accept/ignore it in comics. It won't go over so well with the GA who isn't as attached to these characters.

Not only does it not have to be Sharon, but it shouldn't be. I think having her in there as a love triangle like Sean said, with Bernie winning out in the end could be pretty cool, and really bring Cap back down to a human element.

I am also a fan of giving Sharon Carter's role to Carol Danvers, as Carol can still serve the purpose of the Sharon Carter role, as well as be her own character, even a teammate at some point, now with 'history' with Cap. It's just plain old narrative efficiency.

But having no love interest like a B-movie is out of the question, guys, seriously.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #49
Radioactive1980
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Didn't think about that, but now that you mention it, I wonder if Marvel has plans for her. Seemed to be a fairly "important" role for just a waitress who gets saved by Cap....(incidentally, there seems to be a deleted scene or two here --- I think there may have been a bigger sequence between her and Cap that was left on the cutting room floor).
Forgot about her, she would actually make a pretty cool love interest, and somewhat different in that she is not a perfect 10 type. I just hope Cap gets laid in CA2 because him possibly still being a virgin in TA bugged me a bit.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #50
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Thank you. Dating your ex's grand-niece is creepy weird, and they have the same last name, so you can't ignore it. It's the same with Cyclops getting with, having a kid with and then suddenly leaving Madelyne Pryor, the Jean Grey look-alike. It's ultra-douchey, and pretty frikkin creepy but we just kinda accept/ignore it in comics. It won't go over so well with the GA who isn't as attached to these characters.

Not only does it not have to be Sharon, but it shouldn't be. I think having her in there as a love triangle like Sean said, with Bernie winning out in the end could be pretty cool, and really bring Cap back down to a human element.

I am also a fan of giving Sharon Carter's role to Carol Danvers, as Carol can still serve the purpose of the Sharon Carter role, as well as be her own character, even a teammate at some point, now with 'history' with Cap. It's just plain old narrative efficiency.

But having no love interest like a B-movie is out of the question, guys, seriously.
What's douchey or creepy about Cap meeting and growing attached to the grand-niece of the woman he was madly in love with in WWII? As far as his perception is concerned, it was only yesterday that he promised that dance to Peggy, and now he (and she) will never have that, because time (and probably death) has separated them forever. Sharon looks like her, reminds him of her, and is related to her. There's nothing creepy or douchey about him projecting Peggy onto Sharon; in fact, it would likely be a point of discussion and contention in their relationship, as Sharon realizes that Steve is doing just that.

What was creepy and douchey was the way it was handled in the actual comics, because Peggy WAS still alive, and very much still in Steve's love life. She was only about twenty years older than him there, so the comic book version of the story had Steve banging his cougar girlfriend while doing her younger, hotter niece on the sly. THAT, my friend, is frickin' douchey. The movies give Steve the graceful out of having seventy years and death (again, presumably) separating the two women who are his love interests.

Closed Thread