The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #51
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Who knows? They could go the 'Ultimates' route and have the Cap/Widow thing.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #52
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

I hope not.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #53
Radioactive1980
Banned User

Hayley Atwell was awesome in CATFA but I hope she is not cast as the love interest in Cap2, that would just be dumb. She is dead at this point and that is that. It would be cool if she reprised her role for a flashback sequence of some significance, but beyond that no. Cap needs an all new love interest and I want to see him getting out of bed with some wench so there can no longer be any doubt about him having lost his cherry.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #54
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I hope not.
Me neither. I would like to see BW and Hawkeye in the movie, though.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #55
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Why would anyone think to pair him with Wasp? *remembers the Ultimates* Oh, that.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #56
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
What's douchey or creepy about Cap meeting and growing attached to the grand-niece of the woman he was madly in love with in WWII? As far as his perception is concerned, it was only yesterday that he promised that dance to Peggy, and now he (and she) will never have that, because time (and probably death) has separated them forever. Sharon looks like her, reminds him of her, and is related to her. There's nothing creepy or douchey about him projecting Peggy onto Sharon; in fact, it would likely be a point of discussion and contention in their relationship, as Sharon realizes that Steve is doing just that.
Why do you think it would be a point of contention if its not douchey?

Dating someone in order to vicariously date someone else is supremely douchey, that is, emotionally abusive and emotionally immature. When they're related, it's extra douchey, and when the original is dead, then it's just creepy. No relationship can survive that because it's not even a real relationship, it's a consolation prize. In the comics world, it's just a point of contention. In movies (and moreso in the real world) it's a game ender, as it should be.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #57
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post

Dating someone in order to vicariously date someone else is supremely douchey, that is, emotionally abusive and emotionally immature. When they're related, it's extra douchey, and when the original is dead, then it's just creepy. No relationship can survive that because it's not even a real relationship, it's a consolation prize. In the comics world, it's just a point of contention. In movies (and moreso in the real world) it's a game ender, as it should be.
So he's not allowed to fall in love with a woman who happens to be related to the long-dead woman he once kinda-sorta *almost* slept with 70 years ago....? Sorry, but horseXXXX.

1) There was *nothing* consummated between him and Peggy;
2) It was 70 freakin' years ago, and she's long dead (or should be by now);
3) it's natural that Steve and Sharon would meet, since Sharon would be extremely curious to hear stories of the famous Captain America, the man her aunt always used to tell her about;
4) it's natural that Steve would fall in love with her;
5) it's natural that Sharon would fall in love with him.

It's a great love story. And utterly unique, because of the gulf of time separating the principals. There's nothing douchey about the (potential) MCU version of the story; only the comic book version, where Cap was banging *both* of them.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #58
BoredGuy
Killing Time

seriously!

besides.... Cap reeaally needs to get laid

Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #59
Majik1387

When you look at it in an immature way like that, of course it sounds bad.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #60
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

If Peggy is dead I don't see an issue with Steve falling in love with Sharon. Love is love, after all.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #61
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

If he falls in love with Sharon over time due to her ability and not solely her relation to Peggy, then I think it'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #62
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Sharon Carter

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #63
LauraT
Side-Kick

I voted for Sharon, even though I think it would be a little weird to have that play out on screen. I think you'd have to go with "he didn't know" or a platonic friendship for most of the movie and then deal with the fall out.

Part of me wishes there will be lots of flashbacks so Peggy can still be in the movie as the main "love interest" as Steve comes to terms with being 70 years in the future, but that probably won't happen.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #64
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraT View Post
I voted for Sharon, even though I think it would be a little weird to have that play out on screen. I think you'd have to go with "he didn't know" or a platonic friendship for most of the movie and then deal with the fall out.

Part of me wishes there will be lots of flashbacks so Peggy can still be in the movie as the main "love interest" as Steve comes to terms with being 70 years in the future, but that probably won't happen.
What's so frustrating is that even with Peggy being shown in flashbacks in scenes that we did not see happen in TFA, given the development of their relationship where they only just shared their first kiss near the end of Steve's run in the 40's, it'd be so limiting as to what they could present the two in when it comes to romantic situations.lol

I mean, if Steve and Peggy were lovers already by the time he got frozen where they were already sleeping with each other, then you could show things like their first kiss in a flashback for the sequel or something like that.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #65
LauraT
Side-Kick

Yeah it is admittedly hard to see where they'd fit significant moments in, given that we've seen most of their development up to the "dancing" point, although they can definitely fudge a few casual scenes. Unless they showed angsty footage of Peggy and/or Howard finally giving up on finding him. I just feel that they can't sweep her under the rug since in Cap's head it will be only a few months since he last saw her.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #66
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

How often do you guys really see anything significant happen in cbm movies other than kisses and such?

Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #67
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Sharon really is my only choice here. Simply because of her connection to Steve's past. If played right, their relationship could be really poignant.

Ever since the Russo bros. were announced to direct CA 2, I've been desperate to see Alison Brie as Sharon. She can definitely play steely and tough too. Also, she. Is. Gorgeous. And I can sort of see a resemblance to Haley...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #68
Majik1387

I love Alison Brie as much as the next guy, but no thanks to her as Sharon or any Shield Agent/superhero.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #69
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I can see her as Wasp, but that's about it.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #70
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
There's nothing douchey about the (potential) MCU version of the story; only the comic book version, where Cap was banging *both* of them.
That's not true.

Cap was dating Sharon, but Peggy, the newly out of decades of being in a comatose state- was infatuated with Steve and was under the impression that she and Cap were still an item. Cap was very uncomfortable about it, but didn't correct her out of awkwardness/not wanting to hurt her just after she'd recovered.

Sharon, however, thought the whole thing was funny. That was douchey, but alas, that was the seventies.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #71
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

I vote for Sharon Carter. I don't think it has to be creepy, and here's how.

Don't make her a love interest right away.

Have her as someone working for the big bad. Cap is intrigued by her due to her resemblance to Peggy so he gets swept up in the movie's main plot. But his interest is never romantic.

Maybe have Sharon attracted to him, but nothing comes of it. They end the movie with her, Steve and Sam (gotta have Sam) as bros.

Then in the third movie, have them fall in love toward the end.

And I think Hayley Atwell should play her. Her resemblance to Peggy is pretty important, it is her resemblance to Peggy that makes him notice her in her first appearance as she's walking down the street, undercover. He only learns they're related much, much later in the comics. and to have some other actress, be she Cornish, Righetti or whoever referred to as resembling Peggy makes it look creepier, not less.

Otherwise just nix the familial relationship altogether. Carter is a pretty common name, so it could just be an odd, awkward and uncomfortable coincidence, or alternatively, call her Sharon Ferguson or give her some other last name.

Also, Hayley Atwell passes the jean and tee shirt test, so there's that.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #72
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

^ I'd just be happy to see Hayley again.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #73
Majik1387

Had some fun with photoshop

Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #74
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Good job. The loose blond hair helps in changing her up slightly. I think with a different approach to her make up would also help in changing her appearance.

Disclaimer: I love thick girls. Dare I say it? She could lose a little weight to even further change her appearance some. Braces for impact!

Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #75
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post

Ditto that, with an side order of pathetic on Steve's part. There are what, 3 billion women in the world and he hooks up with the only one who happens to be related to his long-lost love? We all know that Steve is somewhat socially inept; that's part of his charm. But is he so hopeless and messed up that he has to latch onto Peggy's niece? Since Steve is not a douche and not a hopeless loser I think that the writers should steer clear of the Sharon mess unless they decide to make her entirely unrelated to Peggy.

Emotional health lies elsewhere, whether Steve ends up single or dates CuteBlondeWaitress from The Avengers. Or Bernie Rosenberg or an original character developed for the films. But not Diamondback because that was just as weird and messed up in its own way.

Anyone who doesn't think that a Steve/Sharon relationship would come across as at least somewhat twisted should read up on Peter Bogdanovich, who married his murdered girlfriend's younger sister. The Ick Factor can be pretty strong in situations like that. Not to mention the Sick Factor.

Closed Thread