The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #76
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
The one thing that the Russos have going for them, despite their work on You, Me and Dupree (ew!), is that they've worked on projects that rely on non-linear storytelling and timelines and whatnot. Happy Endings, Arrested Development and Community are the tv shows I'm thinking about. We *might* get a very interesting Cap 2 movie out of this, particularly if it's going to be flashback heavy. Their projects also rely on strong characters and balancing ensemble casts. And I was massively entertained during Community's paintball episodes. They were awesome. Witty action sequences too. So there are those points, I guess. Just trying to make a little sense about where Feige's going with this.

I definitely don't mind finding the humor in Captain America, but I don't want it to dissolve into slapstick and farce. But if they can capture a very unique vision of Cap and do so successfully, this might be Feige's greatest hat trick of all.

I have way less reservations about Alan Taylor on Thor 2 than I do the Russos.
I was thinking the same about their experience with nonlinear storytelling when I read the news. Might be the reason they were chosen. We will see flashbacks for sure.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #77
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I hope they're closet uber/MarvelZombie/fanboy/geeks and really get Cap and the MCU.
I've heard reports that they are. If so, then yay.

Like everyone else, I really do want a very cinematic experience. Their previous work just doesn't fit the Captain America paradigm. But I do love their TV work. So... I'm torn.

I'll still be following the hell out of this movie though.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 06-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #78
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I was thinking the same about their experience with nonlinear storytelling when I read the news. Might be the reason they were chosen. We will see flashbacks for sure.
Yeah. Still I'm not enthusiastic about them, but I'm trying to see what they bring to the table for Feige. I honestly don't think it's cheapness; MS has done amazingly well for a film studio that's only been around for a few years. I think this is Feige looking for something different in the next phase. What that is, I do not know. Yet, Feige is a true fan of the source material, and his vision crafted The Avengers, so I'll try to trust him, but it's going to be hard without more information.

Like I said somewhere else, if this means they might look at Donald Glover for a MCU role - either as a hotshot Sam Wilson or maybe even Danny Rand - or Alison Brie for something (Sharon Carter please!!!) then I'd be a happy camper.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #79
marcvader
Lurker #1

Glover is but a wee little man methinks.

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #80
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Glover is but a wee little man methinks.
Heightwise, sure. But dude is ripped like no one's business. Seriously, there's a reason he does a lot of shirtless scenes on Community. He would actually make a fabulous Miles Morales, but I could see him as Danny Rand (he's got a lean look about him that would serve Iron Fist's fighting style well). Even if he's smaller than Sam Wilson is supposed to be, he could fill out a costume quite nicely I think. Plus, I think he's a darn good actor.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #81
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

It's interesting on how action films have getting directors attached to them that have had no experience in the genre when it comes to their previous film work.lol

Case in point, John Chu for GI Joe 2 (his previous work were mainly dance flicks or Justin Bieber films), Marc Web who made a romantic comedy like film I believe before TASM.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #82
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
It's interesting on how action films have getting directors attached to them that have had no experience in the genre when it comes to their previous film work.lol

Case in point, John Chu for GI Joe 2 (his previous work were mainly dance flicks or Justin Bieber films), Marc Web who made a romantic comedy like film I believe before TASM.
Gah! I always forget about Webb and TASM! Yeah, he's a very, VERY left-field choice too. And Spidey looks good too.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #83
Raiden
The Captain

I'm not sold on Russos yet, and quite frankly I'm not too happy to see Marvel hiring another TV director(s), even though it panned out for Joss Whedon. I want to be proven wrong, though, because I don't want Cap 2 to end up as a stinker. Marvel better make sure that the sequel receives their 5-star treatment because of the rising interest on Capt. America in the wake of The Avengers.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #84
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Well given on how Marvel switched between directors for the first choice regarding Thor's sequel, on how we went from Monster's director to Alan Taylor, it's still within the realm of possibility that these two may not stay on as directors if we go by that fact alone.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #85
LauraT
Side-Kick

Huh, yeah this is a left field choice somewhat. Is it the comedy, the non linear storytelling, are they massive, passionate Cap fans? They've directed some good Community eps looking at IMDb though.

I guess whatever happens Marvel will be keeping a close eye and they'll have had to have impressed Feige, the last thing they want to mess up is the possibility of Captain America squandering the chance to explode at the boxoffice after Avengers. That's also what I'm telling myself about Thor and Patty Jenkins (sniff) though with Alan Taylor it's easier to see what he bring to the table.

Quote:
Marvel better make sure that the sequel receives their 5-star treatment because of the rising interest on Capt. America in the wake of The Avengers.
They'd be idiots not to, they have a rare (basically unique) 2nd shot at getting both Cap and Thor into the A list for definite like Iron Man, WW if not domestic. Not to mention Cap's big success on BR/DVD.

Last edited by LauraT; 06-06-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #86
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Community and Arrested Development are streaming on Hulu, for anyone who wants to familiarize themselves with the Cap 2 directors' oeuvre.

Heh, put that in the category of things I never thought I'd be saying.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #87
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

I wonder if they’ll approach the sequel with a specific genre inspired feel to it like they are with Thor 2 and Iron Man 3. I mean with the next sequels for Iron Man and Thor, we have one which is being described as a James Bond-Technological thriller, and the other which many are saying that it’ll have more of norse/LOTR/Game of Thrones like feel to it as well…so what would that leave for someone like Captain America in a modern day setting?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #88
That Guy
Side-Kick

This bit of news kind of left me scratching my head. I am a big fan of community, and as many have mentioned that show uses non-linear story telling and flashbacks a lot and it usually works out. Maybe if they could use that same approach to cap 2, but in a serious way it might work.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #89
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I wonder if they’ll approach the sequel with a specific genre inspired feel to it like they are with Thor 2 and Iron Man 3. I mean with the next sequels for Iron Man and Thor, we have one which is being described as a James Bond-Technological thriller, and the other which many are saying that it’ll have more of norse/LOTR/Game of Thrones like feel to it as well…so what would that leave for someone like Captain America in a modern day setting?
It's going to be Captain America: Back to Community College

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #90
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Rewatching both paintball episodes and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, the ones I remember how much I loved the pacing of these episodes. They do have a clear love for action movies. And the D&D episode is straight up rad.

I'm rrrrrrreally trying hard to stay optimistic. Especially until we get some statement from Feige and Co.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #91
marcvader
Lurker #1

With the presumed hiring of the Russo's, I wonder if we are going to get a title for this sequel and filming start date. If this indeed is set for April 2014 I wonder how early next year they will start January, February?

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #92
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

with the Russo Brothers likely directing Cap 2... It wouldn't be hard to see Marvel casting Gillian Jacobs as Sharon Carter since it was never confirmed Carter has been shown on screen yet.. Cobie Smudlers best known for her sitcom How I Met Your Mother was cast as SHIELD agent Maria Hill so it's not hard to think they'd cast a supporting character like Carter from television shows..

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #93
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

I'm curious were all the hate is coming from for the Russo Brothers? The comments on ************** are pure venom. Sure, they don't have a great feature film record but neither did Joss Whedon. Marvel might be looking for directors that could end up the next Whedon. They obviously love comics and genre material as Community is littered with shout-outs to that stuff. At the very least the Russos could increase the level of humor and witty lines which helped make Avengers the success it was. I felt First Avenger was a cold in regards to true humor and had to be somber because of the era it was set.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #94
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Personally, I love the Russos TV work, but I fear how they will be able to handle a franchise movie when they really are an unknown commodity. Until we get further insight to the plot details of Cap 2 and interviews with Feige and the brothers, I'm not enthusiastic about having them take up the CA 2 reigns.

I will always defend their work on Community and AD though. I hate that people are focusing on You, Me and Dupree as their big credential. Yes, that's one movie on their resume, but their work on Community and AD are more recent, and far more brilliant.
But this is how it typically is. A person is cast or a director/writer is chosen, and upon announcement every fan comes out to post vitrol. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to it. I'm definitely not sold, but I do love their work so much that I'm going to keep my mind open about what they can bring to the Cap franchise.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #95
LauraT
Side-Kick

Quote:
But this is how it typically is. A person is cast or a director/writer is chosen, and upon announcement every fan comes out to post vitrol. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to it. I'm definitely not sold, but I do love their work so much that I'm going to keep my mind open about what they can bring to the Cap franchise.
I agree, that goes for most actors they cast too, lots of hand wringing over Chris Evans after he was cast IIRC. The choice does seem to come out of left field but if they want a slightly more Avenger-y style Cap then these two are potentially a good choice but we'll have to wait and see. I hadn't thought about seeing potential future Joss Whedon's but it's true Community does a lot of genre jokes and shoutouts.

Quote:
with the Russo Brothers likely directing Cap 2... It wouldn't be hard to see Marvel casting Gillian Jacobs as Sharon Carter since it was never confirmed Carter has been shown on screen yet.. Cobie Smudlers best known for her sitcom How I Met Your Mother was cast as SHIELD agent Maria Hill so it's not hard to think they'd cast a supporting character like Carter from television shows..
She could work. Do we think Maria Hill will be in this since it's supposed to involve SHIELD?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #96
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
I'm curious were all the hate is coming from for the Russo Brothers? The comments on ************** are pure venom. Sure, they don't have a great feature film record but neither did Joss Whedon. Marvel might be looking for directors that could end up the next Whedon. They obviously love comics and genre material as Community is littered with shout-outs to that stuff. At the very least the Russos could increase the level of humor and witty lines which helped make Avengers the success it was. I felt First Avenger was a cold in regards to true humor and had to be somber because of the era it was set.
I'm not the least bit concerned about the Russos lack of experience in movies (besides, they've done at least one feature film), or the fact that they specialize in TV; it's the fact that they specialize in comedy. Exclusively.

Yes, Cap could lighten up a little, but Cap's story does NOT need to turn into a fish-out-of-water sitcom. And unfortunately, I think that's why the Russos were hired. Playing up Steve's attempts to adjust to life in the 21st century for yuks is a terrible, terrible idea. Hell, if anything, his story should be played for pathos, not humor....poor guy's whole world and everyone in it were left 70 years in his past, and yet he hasn't aged a bit.

That's not something to laugh at; that's something to weep at.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #97
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:

yes, ho god yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'm not the least bit concerned about the Russos lack of experience in movies (besides, they've done at least one feature film), or the fact that they specialize in TV; it's the fact that they specialize in comedy. Exclusively.

Yes, Cap could lighten up a little, but Cap's story does NOT need to turn into a fish-out-of-water sitcom. And unfortunately, I think that's why the Russos were hired. Playing up Steve's attempts to adjust to life in the 21st century for yuks is a terrible, terrible idea. Hell, if anything, his story should be played for pathos, not humor....poor guy's whole world and everyone in it were left 70 years in his past, and yet he hasn't aged a bit.

That's not something to laugh at; that's something to weep at.
'cause THAT won't get old. Also, while the Russo's specialize in comedy, their comedy is very detailed, established not through cheap gags and slap stick but through understanding their characters and subsequent personalities. they're humor is also quite dark and cynical at times, but can also have a lot of heart at other times. I'm not worried.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #98
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraT View Post
I agree, that goes for most actors they cast too, lots of hand wringing over Chris Evans after he was cast IIRC. The choice does seem to come out of left field but if they want a slightly more Avenger-y style Cap then these two are potentially a good choice but we'll have to wait and see. I hadn't thought about seeing potential future Joss Whedon's but it's true Community does a lot of genre jokes and shoutouts.

She could work. Do we think Maria Hill will be in this since it's supposed to involve SHIELD?
The impression I have is that they've combined the SHIELD film with CAP2.. so expect Hill, Widow, Hawkeye, Fury and new characters all in the mix for the sequel..not to mention some flashbacks to unseen WWII missions with the Howling Commandos..

the current rumors concerning new characters seem to be The Falcon, Black Panther, Sharon Carter and maybe Modok.. the latter I wouldn't be so sure of as Baron Strucker and Zemo had been in original drafts of First Avenger only to be cut out... My theory is that Cap could create a present day unit aka The Invaders going up against A.I.M./Hydra which is led by Strucker..A.I.M. could have a sleeper in the world counsel which might have Rogers questioning his loyalties to SHIELD along with the fact they're trying to create their Hydra-type weapons...I also believe that Winter Soldier could make an apparence but I assume they'll want to save some stuff for the third film...

Marvel is notorious for going bigger with each new installment so expect this sequel to be bigger than First Avenger in every way...given the fact the origin isn't eating 30 or so minutes of screentime this round

Last edited by Christopher_M; 06-07-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #99
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
The impression I have is that they've combined the SHIELD film with CAP2.. so expect Hill, Widow, Hawkeye, Fury and new characters all in the mix for the sequel..not to mention some flashbacks to unseen WWII missions with the Howling Commandos..

the current rumors concerning new characters seem to be The Falcon, Black Panther, Sharon Carter and maybe Modok.. the latter I wouldn't be so sure of as Baron Strucker and Zemo had been in original drafts of First Avenger only to be cut out... My theory is that Cap could create a present day unit aka The Invaders going up against A.I.M./Hydra which is led by Strucker..A.I.M. could have a sleeper in the world counsel which might have Rogers questioning his loyalties to SHIELD along with the fact they're trying to create their Hydra-type weapons...I also believe that Winter Soldier could make an apparence but I assume they'll want to save some stuff for the third film...

Marvel is notorious for going bigger with each new installment so expect this sequel to be bigger than First Avenger in every way...given the fact the origin isn't eating 30 or so minutes of screentime this round

Good lord...
Not that I'd mind something like what you described as an epic *comic book* king-size annual, but for a movie....? Why even call it "Captain America" at all, when you're throwing in everyone except The Kitchen Sink? I agree that Cap's story will be tied to SHIELD, and we'll see the odd cameo or three, but let this be HIS story, not a mini-Avengers free-for-all.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #100
RockSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
but let this be HIS story, not a mini-Avengers free-for-all.
Heh, pretty much.