The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

View Poll Results: Rating for The Avengers?
10 134 59.29%
9 57 25.22%
8 28 12.39%
7 5 2.21%
6 0 0%
5 1 0.44%
4 0 0%
3 1 0.44%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) -

Got back from seeing it a 4th time.

I assume the Chitauri are living organisms. Why then when the nuke took out their mothership did they 'shut down' like droids?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
Big and green
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) -

As an overall movie, TDKR will be a better movie. But as a culmination of a "phase"/origin, "The Avengers" is amazing! And we have more stories to be told! Where as unless they throw ridiculous money at Nolan/Bale, there will not be more of THIS Batman.

Big and green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #28
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Seen it twice. Its a good flick and it does catch that stan lee comic book fun aspect. Ill wait till dvd time since im hella broke.

Standouts:
-The movie had very good dialogue. No cheeseball lines and pretty cool delivery in some! (felt like firefly!)
-Excellent characterization: Each character made had a very defined personality which is good. Cap's lines were great. It makes perfect sense that Stark and Banner would relate to each otehr and have a lot to talk about both being science men.
-The Hulk not being an uncontrollable brute is the way to go. Mark Millar has got to have the worst take on the hulk ever.
-Hulk looked good in CGI.

Critique:
-Lacks substance in a big way. Overwhelming action, underwhelming plot.
-Nothing thought provoking.
-Over use of jokes that dont really have anything to do with anything and seemed a bit random. It felt a bit Michael Bay-ish in that regard.

I suspect that once the hype for this blockbuster dies the flaws become more apparent, but Ill enjoy it as much as I can for the time being. This was a first and I aint letting that sweet feeling go just yet!

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
Got back from seeing it a 4th time.

I assume the Chitauri are living organisms. Why then when the nuke took out their mothership did they 'shut down' like droids?

The Chitauri have a hive mind. Their neurological systems operate as subsidiaries to one main system which controls them. When the hive (in their mothership) was destroyed, they died.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

In the Ultimates they were pretty much Skurlls?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
CanadianAvenger
New User - Level 0

Here is what i liked and didn't like about the Avengers:

-The overall Story
-the chemistry between all the characters
-the humor
-the visual effects
-the fact that they had Mark Ruffalo play both Bruce Banner and the Hulk
-the fact that everyone had their chance to shine in this movie
-the score (especially the main theme)
-Loki being such a badass villain
-Tony's one liners

What i didn't like:

-
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Coulson dying

-the fact that Hawkeye got less screen time then the others

My favorite scenes/moments:

-The Hulk randomly punching Thor, sending him flying
-The Hulk kicking the living heck out of Loki and throwing him like a ragdoll
-Iron Man flying into the portal and destroying the Chitauri ship with the nuclear missile
-Bruce Banner riding into the damaged New York on a motorcycle
-Thor's first scene in the movie
-the fight between Iron Man, Captain America and Thor
-Hawkeye shooting an arrow at Loki, who catches it with his hand and then it explodes.
-The 360 degrees shot of the Avengers facing the Chitauri. you know, the one where the camera circles around them.
-The iconic shot of the Avengers glaring down at Loki after they won the battle.
-Stan Lee's cameo.

CanadianAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I thought the security guard scene with Banner in the abandoned building would have been greater if the guard was played by Stan Lee.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #33
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Now that the hype has fairly died down, and I've seen the movie again. I want to say, this movie was freakin' balls to wall awesome sliced with insanity.

Iron Man was portrayed perfectly, his relationship with Banner was his best show of his character to me, his standout being the nuke through the portal. It's something I would really like to see explored in the next Iron Man film if Hulk doesn't get another.

Cap was great, and I loved the "I understood that reference". But something about Cap just seemed incomplete, however I haven't read much Cap, so perhaps I'm just missing out. However, he truly was portrayed as the natural born leader that he is.

Thor seemed to just sort of be there for parts of the film. He just sort of appeared out of nowhere without any real explanation, and he, to me, didn't really seem to fit until the climax, the other three, despite differences still seemed to sort of mesh. But it all worked out in the end. His interaction with Loki was great.

Ruffalo was all kinds of awesome. He has surpassed Norton in every way. Plus I liked that they seem to be going down the symbiosis route between Hulk and Banner, I truly hope more of that is explored if there is a next film. Or again, to see him interact with Stark again would be great.

Loki was just great. His first scene with Thor showed that he is still motivated by his petty desire for vengeance because he believes he was loved less. But with the twisted insane edge he had actually made him fearsome, especially with the Widow scene, he became downright evil and seemed to literally spew venom at her. His threat did seemed diminished by the fact his power seemed to be downplayed next to Thor.

Overall 9.4/10, this has definitely tied to the top spot in my favourite superhero films.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #34
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Now that the hype has fairly died down, and I've seen the movie again. I want to say, this movie was freakin' balls to wall awesome sliced with insanity.

Iron Man was portrayed perfectly, his relationship with Banner was his best show of his character to me, his standout being the nuke through the portal. It's something I would really like to see explored in the next Iron Man film if Hulk doesn't get another.

Cap was great, and I loved the "I understood that reference". But something about Cap just seemed incomplete, however I haven't read much Cap, so perhaps I'm just missing out. However, he truly was portrayed as the natural born leader that he is.

Thor seemed to just sort of be there for parts of the film. He just sort of appeared out of nowhere without any real explanation, and he, to me, didn't really seem to fit until the climax, the other three, despite differences still seemed to sort of mesh. But it all worked out in the end. His interaction with Loki was great.

Ruffalo was all kinds of awesome. He has surpassed Norton in every way. Plus I liked that they seem to be going down the symbiosis route between Hulk and Banner, I truly hope more of that is explored if there is a next film. Or again, to see him interact with Stark again would be great.

Loki was just great. His first scene with Thor showed that he is still motivated by his petty desire for vengeance because he believes he was loved less. But with the twisted insane edge he had actually made him fearsome, especially with the Widow scene, he became downright evil and seemed to literally spew venom at her. His threat did seemed diminished by the fact his power seemed to be downplayed next to Thor.

Overall 9.4/10, this has definitely tied to the top spot in my favourite superhero films.
I think it was the man out of time angle, but i think there was too much going on to cover it. He didn't seem heart broken at loosing Peggy, which to him would have been a few weeks ago.

I also noticed that everyone on the team had/showed a glimpse of their respective love interest EXCEPT Banner. They showed Jane for Thor, a shot of Peggy for Cap, Stark had Pepper, Black Widow and Hawkeye had...each other, but no mention or glimpse of Betty for Bruce. I found this rather strange.

Btw, on the 4th viewing Fury's "since it's a stupid ass order" line got a huge laugh from the audience.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
Art Damage
Turtle Power

I've seen it twice now. I've enjoyed it because it was all summer blockbuster movies should be, smart popcorn action flicks. It didn't dumb down itself for the audience and got you right in the middle of the intensity of everything without having to hit you over the head with exposition. All of the characters flowed together nicely and everything was well thought out and executed nicely.

That being said, I don't know how many times I'll want to revisit this film. I'm sure I'll eventually buy the blu-ray for this movie and enjoy but I seem to get a little bored each time with the last half hour of the film even though it's the most action packed. I liked it a lot more the second time I went to go see it as opposed to the first midnight showing (which was full of kind of annoying people so maybe that rendered my opinion?) but something about it doesn't fully connect with me.

Yet I don't want to ***** too much, it's gotta be one of the greatest comic book movies ever made and certainly in a top five list for sure...it was the one I was looking forward to third (TDKR -1, ASM - 2) this summer but it was a truly pleasant surprise.

8 out of 10.

24 years of loving everything Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
Art Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #36
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Am i the only one who enjoyed the SHIELD action sequence at the beginning? I haven't heard alot of comments about this sequence, but i found it fresh that SHIELD was the center of the movie.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Am i the only one who enjoyed the SHIELD action sequence at the beginning? I haven't heard alot of comments about this sequence, but i found it fresh that SHIELD was the center of the movie.
I liked it, but it seems most people didn't like it so much.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #38
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
I really enjoyed it, and I liked that the first Avenger to be introduced was Hawkeye :3

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #39
Mig-El
Side-Kick

Why weren't there any fighter jets during the invasion...you know fighter jets that could have all along shot nuclear missile or any weapon through the portal?

Mig-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #40
mc7791
The boys have arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig-El View Post
Why weren't there any fighter jets during the invasion...you know fighter jets that could have all along shot nuclear missile or any weapon through the portal?
maybe they were not able to scramble fast enough and also they may not know the exact position of the portal to be able to get a good shot. A fighter jet would not have the close quarters capability and maneuverability of IM in that situation IMO. Plus one wrong shot and everyone is gone. Plus the Chitauri may be able to take down some of the jets if the pilot got close.

mc7791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I liked it, but it seems most people didn't like it so much.
I enjoyed seeing Maria Hill in action!

I said i was only going to see it 4 times, which i have, but i just can't wait for the dvd release..i'm going again next week!

Old 06-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #42
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
I enjoyed seeing Maria Hill in action!

I said i was only going to see it 4 times, which i have, but i just can't wait for the dvd release..i'm going again next week!

Although I enjoyed SHIELD's presence in the film and liked its action at the outset, Hill came across as incredibly stupid. First she wanted Fury to call off the evacuation of the facility because she wrongly assumed that it would be futile.

Then Hill let Clint, Selvig and a bunch of agents walk right past her with a strange, armed man leading them. Even when she asked who Loki was and Clint replied, "He didn't say," Hill idiotically just turned her back on them and went about her business. It wasn't until Fury radioed her that she realized that an alien had invaded the facility and was making off with the Tesseract. That big silver Tesseract case in Selvig's arms didn't even give her a freakin' clue.

It was probably unintentional, but Hill came off as a fool in that sequence. Or maybe, since she is the WSC's lackey trying to undermine Fury (in deleted scenes) Whedon meant to showcase the fact that she isn't as prepared to lead as she thinks.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #43
Big and green
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig-El View Post
Cause this isn't a military movie. It's a superhero movie. God forbid we use our imagination for awhile... It just blows my mind how bad society has got.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #44
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big and green View Post
Cause this isn't a military movie. It's a superhero movie. God forbid we use our imagination for awhile... It just blows my mind how bad society has got.

A major factor is that it takes time to get the military mobilized and jets scrambled. The battle in New York happened relatively quickly. The cops said that it would take an hour or more for the National Guard to arrive, which makes sense. Even the Air National Guard would need to receive orders from the governor, get pilots on the field and jets ready to fly. The Air Force would need authorization from the Secretary of Defense, at the very least, as well as orders from the Pentagon, in order to get into the fray. Even on 9/11 it took more time than most people realize to get jets in the air once the government realized that an attack was in progress.

So. No jets = no problem.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #45
Big and green
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
A major factor is that it takes time to get the military mobilized and jets scrambled. The battle in New York happened relatively quickly. The cops said that it would take an hour or more for the National Guard to arrive, which makes sense. Even the Air National Guard would need to receive orders from the governor, get pilots on the field and jets ready to fly. The Air Force would need authorization from the Secretary of Defense, at the very least, as well as orders from the Pentagon, in order to get into the fray. Even on 9/11 it took more time than most people realize to get jets in the air once the government realized that an attack was in progress.

So. No jets = no problem.
Yes, but if the military can just handle the problem then why do we need "the avengers". The point of superhero's is to show that military force isn't always the answer. That's all I was getting at. "saving private Ryan" would have been a real short movie, if captain America was there. Or If Iron man just swooped in and rescued the pilots in "Blackhawk down". Just saying.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #46
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big and green View Post
Yes, but if the military can just handle the problem then why do we need "the avengers". The point of superhero's is to show that military force isn't always the answer. That's all I was getting at. "saving private Ryan" would have been a real short movie, if captain America was there. Or If Iron man just swooped in and rescued the pilots in "Blackhawk down". Just saying.
I agree with you, but just wanted to add the points about mobilization time. Whedon avoided one of the main complaints people had about the Transformers movies, namely that the military's involvement took away from the focus on the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons. The audience needs to believe that the heroes are the only ones who can handle the threat. As you said, in a superhero film the heroes' actions have to be the focus.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #47
FigsNFilms
Banned User

7 / 10

Probably one of, if not the most overrated movies and/or event movies I've ever witnessed.

The first act was horrendously slow. They took the time to use five movies to weave all these characters together, and the movie takes forever to get going.

Some of the early scenes with Loki and the very cheesy looking Chitari were ripped straight out of a 90's Power Ranger show.

Saving grace of the film is humor, even though it at times undercuts meaningful scenes or doesn't allow for actual tension.

Even Coulson's death, apparently the now unifying and important character to bring the heroes together is even shrugged off with a line of humor.

Robert Downey Jr once again completely owns, and makes a rather un interesting character ... ridiculously charismatic and interesting. Without him I shutter to think what this movie would have been.

Loki isn't particularly threatning, or menacing. In fact he's quite the opposite, he's even played like a lachey via the alien race (who also doesn't intimidate or threaten)

At no point did I feel danger for our world, the civilians, or the heroes themselves. The alien race never did anything particularly brutal or scary to give an obstacle for the Avengers.

Evans as Cap is still odd choice to me given he doesn't really fit the part, IMO. And that costume (mask specifically) looked horrendously cheesy.

As did Hawkeye, him and his bow and arrow. Multiple scenes dragged between him and Widow. Who IMO again, don't even belong in the concept of the Avengers given how ridiculous they look with these 4 other super powered people and demi-gods.

The movie doesn't have a whole lot of internal logic. Who runs SHIELD? Who finances these ridiculous flying aircraft carriers? Why do they have the authority to NUKE MANHATTAN, which would essentially cause more damage than the easily defeatable and goofy looking Chitari?

Why was Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury? His character was nudered, and was so boring. Having Samuel Jackson snap on a group of superheroes would have been actually FUN to watch.

With that said they finally nailed the Hulk. The inherent concept is funny in of itself, is played for laughs, with alot less melodrama and it works to perfection.

Overall, pretty average. I wasn't even that stunned with any action sequence in particular. Too much obvious CGI.

This may sound like a hating rant, but it was my actual opinion of the movie. Very over-hyped fluff of a movie.

FigsNFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #48
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, it's made its billion dollars already, so hey.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #49
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

lol 'nudered'

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #50
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
lol 'nudered'
What's that supposed to mean? Did he mean murdered? Nude red? The only nude reds I want to see are Pepper and Natasha.