The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #101
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
While Marvel's previous choices haven't been expected, they made so much sense that I always felt comfortable.
What about Favreau for Iron Man "made sense" to you?

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #102
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
What about Favreau for Iron Man "made sense" to you?
Swingers and the fact that he was a massive fan

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #103
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

I was just thinking about possible villains that Cap could face in Cap 2, and Baron Zemo obviously popped into my mind... But I started to think about who could play him??

And I must say every time I see that Expendables 2 trailer, I just can't stop thinking about how perfect Jean-Claude Van Damme could be playing Zemo!!

I Know some might disagree, but just watch the trailer, and tell me he couldn't pull it off!!

He doesn't have to be the best of actors, because he will be wearing the mask for the entirety or at least 90% of the film, and he has the cool accent, he still has that athletic ability, so that we could see a awesome fight scene with Cap!!

And I just think looking at him in Expendables as a villain just suits him, better than any other role i seen him take in the past...

Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #104
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

We all know what a tight ship Marvel runs. They allow directors a certain amount of freedom, but maintain a relatively firm grip on the general direction of the story and characters.

This directing duo has obviously proven themselves and their vision for Cap 2 to Marvel. Marvel approves them for this film, for the character of Captain America, and for the entry they will produce as it will fit into the greater MCU.

What...is...the problem?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #105
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
We all know what a tight ship Marvel runs. They allow directors a certain amount of freedom, but maintain a relatively firm grip on the general direction of the story and characters.

This directing duo has obviously proven themselves and their vision for Cap 2 to Marvel. Marvel approves them for this film, for the character of Captain America, and for the entry they will produce as it will fit into the greater MCU.

What...is...the problem?
Well, to play devil's advocate, they hired Patty Jenkins for Thor. Obviously she proved something to them initially as well, and then they kicked her to the curb a few months later. Sure, history probably won't repeat itself, but the precedent has officially been set.

Don't got a problem with the hiring, but it doesn't make it any less strange. It's been stated previously, but hopefully they are closet Marvelites and have an understanding of the characters, if even in the most basic sense.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #106
kaijunexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
Well, to play devil's advocate, they hired Patty Jenkins for Thor. Obviously she proved something to them initially as well, and then they kicked her to the curb a few months later. Sure, history probably won't repeat itself, but the precedent has officially been set.

Don't got a problem with the hiring, but it doesn't make it any less strange. It's been stated previously, but hopefully they are closet Marvelites and have an understanding of the characters, if even in the most basic sense.
That example actually does a good job of furthering my point about Marvel being in control. They may have liked Patty's general ideas, but weren't so fond of them as she started to detail them out. It certainly didn't seem like they split on bad terms, as I recall Marvel having said that they still wanted her to direct a Marvel film in the future.

Point is...if the directors chosen for Cap 2 end up having ideas that aren't in-line with Marvel's, they will most likely be tossed. If they are kept, then we should be confident that Marvel likes their direction...

Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #107
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
What...is...the problem?
We're compelled to complain and wring our hands with worry over things we know almost nothing about, to the point where we start imagining fantastic little doomsday scenarios in which Marvel loses their minds and starts sabotaging their own films for giggles, all based on vague internet rumors and hearsay.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #108
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
We're compelled to complain and wring our hands with worry over things we know almost nothing about, to the point where we start imagining fantastic little doomsday scenarios in which Marvel loses their minds and starts sabotaging their own films for giggles, all based on vague internet rumors and hearsay.

Way to overreact by pretending people are overreacting, instead of simply asking what Marvel saw in a couple of comedy directors for Cap.

*Every* director they've chosen so far has been because that director(s) is uniquely qualified to explore a certain facet of what Marvel Studios is looking for in each film. With Favreau, it was his work in Zathura that presaged the kind of movie he'd do for Iron Man; with Leterrier, he had experience in movies about a loner desperately running for his life from lots of people with guns; with Branagh and Taylor, you've got ample background in movies about court intrigue and royal family dramas; with Johnston, you've got decades of experience with action blockbusters and period pieces; with Black, he's been writing "crisis techno thriller" screenplays for decades, and has a long rapport with RDJ. Heck, even with Patty Jenkins, it was most likely about the feminine perspective she would have brought to a female villain like Enchantress, Karnilla, and/or Hela.

But The Russo Brothers, unlike all that, are totally left field. The only visible angle here is that they were chosen for their work in comedy, since that's the *only* field they've worked in.

So quit overreacting about people asking a simple but pertinent question: why were comedy directors hired to do a Captain America film?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #109
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Way to overreact by pretending people are overreacting,
Please, this isn't my first time at the rodeo. Every single detail and rumor that emerges about every single one of these films throws some nerd into spasms of panic and he reacts by heading straight for the intertubes. You can set your watch by it.

At any rate, Marvel doesn't owe anyone an explanation. If five successful films including one of the biggest hits of all time doesn't instill confidence in them, I guess nothing will.

~ The Road of Kings

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 06-08-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #110
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
But The Russo Brothers, unlike all that, are totally left field. The only visible angle here is that they were chosen for their work in comedy, since that's the *only* field they've worked in.
Go watch the Community episodes A Fistfull of Paintballs and For a Few Paintballs More. They can do action and character.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #111
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
Go watch the Community episodes A Fistfull of Paintballs and For a Few Paintballs More. They can do action and character.
Sure. In comedy.

That's the point. They're completely unproven in drama; so the likely scenario is that Marvel is shooting more for a *comedy* for CA2. How well do you think that idea will fly.....?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #112
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I hope the director(s) is officially confirmed asap.. so that filming can start by this fall..

Old 06-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #113
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

This really is Whedon 2010 all over again.

Marvel is 6/6 in my book. I trust 'em.

Last edited by Randal Graves; 06-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #114
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
Wow you guys really expect them to go completely comedy? Are you out of your mind? Cap isn't going to be slipping on banana peels just because the directors are primarily comedy directors. Jesus christ. Have *some* faith in Marvel, this is just ridiculous. I agree that its an odd choice but you guys jumping to conclusions is just ridiculous. They haven't even begun casting and people are complaining. Ridiculous.
How is it "jumping to conclusions?" They're COMEDY directors. Period. That means that either (a) they're being hired for their expertise in COMEDY; or (b) Marvel is hiring directors who are COMPLETELY untested outside the COMEDY genre.

No, I don't think they're getting ready to go all slapstick on Cap. But I think the perception from Feige is that Johnston's Cap was earnest and serious and it failed (comparatively) at the box office --- #5 of all 6 Marvel Studios films. By contrast, Iron Man and the Avengers have ample laughs and don't take themselves too seriously, and those generate boffo box office. So Feige figures Cap needs a sense of humor for CA2. I don't know if that's a *bad* thing yet; but it sure as hell is a new direction for Cap, wouldn't you say?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #115
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

I think it's more likely that they simply had a great pitch for Cap 2, or that they have a good grasp of the character that Feige found impressive. The idea that they'd hire a pair of directors just to improve the yucks strikes me as abnormal.

~ The Road of Kings

Old 06-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #116
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I think it's more likely that they simply had a great pitch for Cap 2, or that they have a good grasp of the character that Feige found impressive. The idea that they'd hire a pair of directors just to improve the yucks strikes me as abnormal.
That's the only optimistic conclusion I can draw from it, too. Maybe Feige was so impressed by what they know about the character and what kind of vision they've got for the story that he said they'd be perfect, even if inexperienced at the genre. Otherwise, it comes back to singling out a comedy director(s) for their expertise in laughs.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #117
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Could be Steven Stielberge?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #118
kaijunexus

Quote:
Exactly!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #119
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Hey guys. I never post, and don't really come on here much but I think this decision is so great I want to come on here and voice my support! I clearly see what Fiege is doing here. Going forward, MCU films are going to be done more in the style of TV episodes, and it's brilliant. I personally believe that over the last decade or so TV has really taken off and has overtaken film. Whedon, Taylor and the Russo's, while different genres, all have track records of great television. There is no way the creators of shows like Arrested Development and Community would feel comfortable working with the Russo's if they didn't have incredible talent when it comes to telling a story. Plus these next movies I think will be tied much closer together than the previous films were. Fiege understands the Avengers was great because it focused on the characters, let them drive the movie, and had it be a fun adventure film more than anything else. Big budget monster of the week type stuff, with awesome characters. This guy Fiege knows what he's doing.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #120
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Yay! Even though I'm cautious about this deciscion, I do like hearing some more positive voices coming out of the woodwork. I'm very interested in the Russos' vision of Captain America 2 and I'm keeping an open mind about it (while simultaneously envisioning Steve Rogers in Greendale... it makes me laugh).

I do think we're going to have to look beyond the genre the Russos work in to see why Feige hired them, at least until they thmselves tell us what their idea for CA 2 will be. I won't repeat myself, but the Russos know how to create a unique perspective with a tried-and-true format - the sitcom. Here, we have a tried-and-true format - the comic book movie. I also like what JustSomeGuy posted. TV has really upped its game over the past decade, to the point where I hold any ep of Arrested Development or Community is funnier than about 95% of today's comedies, and each episode of Game of Thrones has an epic, cinematic feel all their own. The connectedness between each Marvel movie to the entire framework of the MCU is paramount in phase II. We worry that the movies won't look cinematic enough, but we forget that there's a whole crew that will assist in production, as well as Feige and Co. backing the machine.

I'm still apprehensive about the production, but I do trust Feige.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #121
LauraT
Side-Kick

Having gone back and rewatched both "A fistfull of Paintballs" and ""For a Few Paintballs More" I am definitely a lot more excited if the ability to mix tone, genre, non linear plot and character moments on display in those eps was one of the reasons they were hired for Cap 2. I'd forgotten how much of a trick is it to go from Western to Star Wars and make it work perfectly with the characters. This is not a sit com with a laugh track and two recycled jokes.

Quote:
So Feige figures Cap needs a sense of humor for CA2. I don't know if that's a *bad* thing yet; but it sure as hell is a new direction for Cap, wouldn't you say?
Sure if he starts acting like he's on "Two and a Half Men" but I thought Cap in Avengers was still recognisably himself from TFA, he was clearly the most earnest, serious and dedicated to the mission out of the entire cast. I don't think he'll studdenly start throwing out Tony Stark-esque one liners, but if they want to have a few "flying monkey" moments I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Quote:
Very likely. Hopefully when it is officially announced and/or at Comic Con well get more of an idea about where Marvel are going with this movie. I can still understand why people are and but I don't think they're either cheaping out or wanting to turn Cap into Tony just yet.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #122
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Hey guys. I never post, and don't really come on here much but I think this decision is so great I want to come on here and voice my support! I clearly see what Fiege is doing here. Going forward, MCU films are going to be done more in the style of TV episodes, and it's brilliant. I personally believe that over the last decade or so TV has really taken off and has overtaken film. Whedon, Taylor and the Russo's, while different genres, all have track records of great television. There is no way the creators of shows like Arrested Development and Community would feel comfortable working with the Russo's if they didn't have incredible talent when it comes to telling a story. Plus these next movies I think will be tied much closer together than the previous films were. Fiege understands the Avengers was great because it focused on the characters, let them drive the movie, and had it be a fun adventure film more than anything else. Big budget monster of the week type stuff, with awesome characters. This guy Fiege knows what he's doing.
Well, to offer a dissenting opinion: I disagree and I hope this isn't the route they are going by and large. When I go see CA2 or any future movie(in general as well as MCU) I am going to the Movies, and I would hope I get a real CINEMATIC and MOVIE-going expereience. If I walk out of Cap2 feeling like I just watched a 2 hour TV episode I will extremely Frustrated and Disappointed.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #123
Bryn
Side-Kick

I think Cap 1 had some good humor. I think there's a place for humor in the movie. I do think Cap is really hard to do. He's got a sense of humor ... He's a smart guy. But he's firm on what he believes and on right and wrong.

I think they're going to bring in Falcon and possibly have Cap get stripped of his costume (Nomad). That story line did have him tripping on his cape, by the way.

We'll see. I think Marvel has done a perfect job selecting their directors. The one I was really skeptical about was Favreau. and he was fantastic with Iron Man. Haven't been concerned since that one. Very well selected. The movies have all been well done.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #124
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
Well, to offer a dissenting opinion: I disagree and I hope this isn't the route they are going by and large. When I go see CA2 or any future movie(in general as well as MCU) I am going to the Movies, and I would hope I get a real CINEMATIC and MOVIE-going expereience. If I walk out of Cap2 feeling like I just watched a 2 hour TV episode I will extremely Frustrated and Disappointed.
I'm simply saying the style they are going for will be more similar to television, not necessarily the effects or way it is shot. If you want to get guys who know how to do characters, go to television. That's where television excels way over movies. Did you think the Avengers was enough of a cinematic experience? Because Avengers was done in the style I'm talking about. The characters are the focus of the movie, and done extremely well. That's why it was so great. Was the plot anything special in the Avengers? No, of course not. But the characters were done phenomenally well, because Whedon knows how to write characters, which is evident by his history in television. I think it's also why JJ Abrams has made great movies recently, his history in TV. Look at how well the characters were done in Star Trek. I think it isn't a coincidence that the style was similar, in that the characters are good enough that they can carry whatever the plot is. Show creators need to make much more nuanced characters in order for them to be able to hold a show. They need to give them really strong, identifiable personalities, which is one of the toughest things to do I think. It's where the strength of the medium is, because they need to drag a story out muchhh longer. You can't have weak characterization in a tv series or it won't last. Which is why I think the route they are taking is brilliant. I'm liking everything this guy Fiege has done so far, and I think he is just starting. He will get better as he continues. Remember, Marvel Films is still a very young film studio. They know what made the avengers great, and will keep going in that direction.

Just some guy's opinion.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #125
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
I think Cap 1 had some good humor. I think there's a place for humor in the movie. I do think Cap is really hard to do. He's got a sense of humor ... He's a smart guy. But he's firm on what he believes and on right and wrong.

I think they're going to bring in Falcon and possibly have Cap get stripped of his costume (Nomad). That story line did have him tripping on his cape, by the way.

We'll see. I think Marvel has done a perfect job selecting their directors. The one I was really skeptical about was Favreau. and he was fantastic with Iron Man. Haven't been concerned since that one. Very well selected. The movies have all been well done.
Yikes. I hope Nomad never sees the light of day. You can have Cap have some crisis of conscience and reject his own government (god knows if he lost faith in America simply over the Nixon years, he should have been horrified at the neo-fascist regimes, both Democrat and Republican, that followed), but I'd hate like hell to see him lose the costume and switch it for a dollar-store generic cape in the movies. His iconography is about his faith in his country and his people, *not* the government.

Closed Thread