The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

View Poll Results: Rating for The Avengers?
10 134 59.29%
9 57 25.22%
8 28 12.39%
7 5 2.21%
6 0 0%
5 1 0.44%
4 0 0%
3 1 0.44%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #51
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) -

Well, Figsnfilms, the only point of yours I can agree with is Cap's mask.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #52
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) -

I think he meant neutered.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #53
Big and green
Side-Kick

I can actually see where somebody would think that about this movie. It's not a "timeless classic" by any means. Some people just aren't into the imagination thing. But I do agree with his point about the world not being really threatened, it was the opening act of a bigger story, Thanos's invasion.

Big and green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #54
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigsNFilms View Post
Loki isn't particularly threatning, or menacing. In fact he's quite the opposite, he's even played like a lachey via the alien race (who also doesn't intimidate or threaten)

Loki was played like a lachey? Can we expect to see Newlyweds: Loki & Jessica on MTV this fall?

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #55
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

What's lachey?

Does he mean lackey? If so, how did he even come across in that way?

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #56
FigsNFilms
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I think he meant neutered.
I did, was on my phone.

How did Loki come across as a lackey? He was virtually being played by the Chitari the entire time. Thor even calls him out on his ignorance in the final act confrontation between the two.

Either way, both antagonists (Loki and Chitari) are completely non threatning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big and green View Post
Some people just aren't into the imagination thing.
I have plenty of imagination. I'm on a superhero message board afterall. I just didn't think the movie was anything particularly special

FigsNFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #57
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
7 / 10

Probably one of, if not the most overrated movies and/or event movies I've ever witnessed.

The first act was horrendously slow. They took the time to use five movies to weave all these characters together, and the movie takes forever to get going.

Some of the early scenes with Loki and the very cheesy looking Chitari were ripped straight out of a 90's Power Ranger show.

Saving grace of the film is humor, even though it at times undercuts meaningful scenes or doesn't allow for actual tension.

Even Coulson's death, apparently the now unifying and important character to bring the heroes together is even shrugged off with a line of humor.

Robert Downey Jr once again completely owns, and makes a rather un interesting character ... ridiculously charismatic and interesting. Without him I shutter to think what this movie would have been.

Loki isn't particularly threatning, or menacing. In fact he's quite the opposite, he's even played like a lachey via the alien race (who also doesn't intimidate or threaten)

At no point did I feel danger for our world, the civilians, or the heroes themselves. The alien race never did anything particularly brutal or scary to give an obstacle for the Avengers.

Evans as Cap is still odd choice to me given he doesn't really fit the part, IMO. And that costume (mask specifically) looked horrendously cheesy.

As did Hawkeye, him and his bow and arrow. Multiple scenes dragged between him and Widow. Who IMO again, don't even belong in the concept of the Avengers given how ridiculous they look with these 4 other super powered people and demi-gods.

The movie doesn't have a whole lot of internal logic. Who runs SHIELD? Who finances these ridiculous flying aircraft carriers? Why do they have the authority to NUKE MANHATTAN, which would essentially cause more damage than the easily defeatable and goofy looking Chitari?

Why was Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury? His character was nudered, and was so boring. Having Samuel Jackson snap on a group of superheroes would have been actually FUN to watch.

With that said they finally nailed the Hulk. The inherent concept is funny in of itself, is played for laughs, with alot less melodrama and it works to perfection.

Overall, pretty average. I wasn't even that stunned with any action sequence in particular. Too much obvious CGI.

This may sound like a hating rant, but it was my actual opinion of the movie. Very over-hyped fluff of a movie.
I'm sorry, you must have accidencently typed that instead of "OMG IT WAS BRILLIANT ADFFSSKSKA 10/10

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #58
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I did, was on my phone.

How did Loki come across as a lackey? He was virtually being played by the Chitari the entire time. Thor even calls him out on his ignorance in the final act confrontation between the two.

Either way, both antagonists (Loki and Chitari) are completely non threatning.

I have plenty of imagination. I'm on a superhero message board afterall. I just didn't think the movie was anything particularly special
Sounds like you didn't even watch the movie. The Chitauri weren't in charge of anything. They are drones.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #59
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
Am i the only one who enjoyed the SHIELD action sequence at the beginning? I haven't heard alot of comments about this sequence, but i found it fresh that SHIELD was the center of the movie.
I loved that sequence. I loved how they had a big prologue before the movie really starts. It was alot like Abrams Star Trek where you have that whole opening bit with Kirk's dad.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #60
FigsNFilms
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Sounds like you didn't even watch the movie. The Chitauri weren't in charge of anything. They are drones.
Really, all of that and I didn't watch the movie? Cute.

Loki was promised earth, because he was being WORKED by a much more significant threat.

IE the character shown in the after credits (thus making Avengers a commercial for yet ANOTHER movie) .. the CGI purple cahracter that general audiences know absolutely nothing about.

Yea, Loki was being worked by that guy.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #61
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

@ Avengers being a commercial

I guess Marvel Studios doesn't ever make movies, just commercials for other commercials.

Son of Coul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #62
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

Iron Man 3's a commerical for The Runaways!

Missing you, Heath
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #63
Lorus
Side-Kick

Quote:

Saving grace of the film is humor, even though it at times undercuts meaningful scenes or doesn't allow for actual tension.

Even Coulson's death, apparently the now unifying and important character to bring the heroes together is even shrugged off with a line of humor.

As did Hawkeye, him and his bow and arrow. Multiple scenes dragged between him and Widow. Who IMO again, don't even belong in the concept of the Avengers given how ridiculous they look with these 4 other super powered people and demi-gods.
Can I just take a second to protest these frequently stated idea that Coulson's "so that's what it does" shrugs off or destroys any drama in the situation.

Firstly, the moment where Coulson is stabbed is played absolutely straight, as is Thor's reaction and the conversation Loki has with Coulson before the infamous mood destroying line. Surely, at the very least, any tension or drama that was created before that moment still stands and has dramatic validity.

More importantly, however, the actual moment where Coulson dies is completely devoid of jokes, it also takes place a scene or two after the line itself which presumably creates some tonal separation. Fury goes to help Coulson and their conversation is exactly as 'serious' as you might expect. When Coulson finally dies, Fury's expression surely sells some dramatic impact.

More importantly though, it's from this point that we actually see the impact Coulson's death has had and again, I stress that there is not a single joke. We see Fury openly grieving, not shouting or being calm, just expressing resentment and hopelessness as he talks to Steve and Tony. I think that the return of the trading cards has dramatic weight as does everything that follows. I believe that after another quiet scene between Widow and Hawkeye we see Tony now very openly grieving, cracking exactly zero jokes while Steve talks to him which leads to Tony's declaration that he is not a soldier, another moment I feel has dramatic weight. At this point, Coulson's dry, resigned one liner must have been so long ago that unless you're still laughing then it can't have affected anything.

I'm also curious about your statement regarding Widow and Hawkeye. Why do you think scenes between them dragged? They only have one dialogue scene together which drives home an essential point about Natasha and pays off the companionship that we know they must feel for each other. It also seems odd to me to draw the line in the sand at them being Avengers when they are so obviously skilled beyond normal people and find some completion in their heroism, just like all the other Avengers.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #64
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

The Coulson line was just a bittersweet moment for Phil to get in his fun little badass moment before leaving us. It's the thing that makes people in the audience go "haha, awww..." The drama's still there, ask the heaps of people upset by his death in the movie. I guarantee that nobody watching the movie viscerally thought, "Yeah, I felt bad he was dying for a second, but when the character made a joke I just didn't care anymore."

How his offhand remark can even be considered a joke doesn't even make sense. It's humorous and gets a laugh, but a joke that does not make. Reminds me of when people were saying that Darcy was "making puns" throughout the Thor trailer. Really, puns?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #65
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
How his offhand remark can even be considered a joke doesn't even make sense. It's humorous and gets a laugh, but a joke that does not make.
Huh? That's exactly what a joke does.

Quote:
Reminds me of when people were saying that Darcy was "making puns" throughout the Thor trailer. Really, puns?
Lol. Darcy barely said some awful one-liners. Mispronouncing 'Mjolnir' is certainly not a pun. Nor it was comedy.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #66
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Typically, a joke is defined as something with a set-up and punchline (ie. Thor's "he's adopted" line). Whether or not the moment is objectively a joke, the point still stands.

And yeah, Darcy was completely unnecessary.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #67
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Typically, a joke is defined as something with a set-up and punchline (ie. Thor's "he's adopted" line). Whether or not the moment is objectively a joke, the point still stands.

And yeah, Darcy was completely unnecessary.
So, we know the concept of a joke but we also know the concept of an unnecessary joke.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #68
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

I dunno about you but yes, I do.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #69
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Really, all of that and I didn't watch the movie? Cute.

Loki was promised earth, because he was being WORKED by a much more significant threat.

IE the character shown in the after credits (thus making Avengers a commercial for yet ANOTHER movie) .. the CGI purple cahracter that general audiences know absolutely nothing about.

Yea, Loki was being worked by that guy.
So A New Hope was a commercial for The Empire Strikes Back which was a commercial for Return of the Jedi?

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #70
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Sorry, I just wanted to say how proud I am to be a Marvel nerd (...aside from Ultimate Spiderman). Every time I've seen this movie I've cried. It's my childhood. My escape. Something I know and love and ugh it's just so amazing. This film really brought out one of my all time faveourite teams to life and for that I just am so happy.
Chears for a friggin amazing movie!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #71
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

my only complaint would be with captain america. The costume was bad, I dont like chris evans as cap, and he wasnt nearly super soldier like enough. Remember in ed nortons hulk movie when that one soldier had the 'partial' super soldier serum and he was blurring around at super speed, running rings around hulk and fighting him, cap being a full super soldier should be at least as fast and strong as that, but he just seemed like a well trained normal guy with no super powers

I guess if i had to pick another complaint it'd be Loki, he was not threatening at all and should have been a much more intimidating force, not hulks rag doll and a joke

Sparta* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #72
FigsNFilms
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
So A New Hope was a commercial for The Empire Strikes Back which was a commercial for Return of the Jedi?
Meh, those films didn't play out with deliberate tie ins to the next film.

Subtelty is fine, and preferred. All these after credit sequences, so deliberate ... it's cheesy and off putting for me as a viewer. It makes the whole film feel cheap, and thus like a commercial.

Hell, Thor and Captain America: FA literally felt like movies without much of conclusions for their own story, and felt like necessities just to get to Avengers.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #73
FigsNFilms
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
So, we know the concept of a joke but we also know the concept of an unnecessary joke.
Either way it was a joke ... and undercuts the gravity of the scene. At least it did for me.

LMAO @ this guy arguing ridiculous semantics to say it wasn't a joke.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #74
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

edit: meh, not worth it anymore

Last edited by Son of Coul; 06-20-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #75
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Quote:
The Coulson line was just a bittersweet moment for Phil to get in his fun little badass moment before leaving us. It's the thing that makes people in the audience go "haha, awww..." The drama's still there, ask the heaps of people upset by his death in the movie. I guarantee that nobody watching the movie viscerally thought, "Yeah, I felt bad he was dying for a second, but when the character made a joke I just didn't care anymore."

How his offhand remark can even be considered a joke doesn't even make sense. It's humorous and gets a laugh, but a joke that does not make. Reminds me of when people were saying that Darcy was "making puns" throughout the Thor trailer. Really, puns?
Yeah, I really didn't think it was a joke at all, just Phil's last shining moment before getting Jossed. And for me, it added to the moment, bittersweetness and all. At least JW let Coulson go out like a boss, his death being one of the least painful, traumatic moment for me in a Whedon project.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote