The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #101
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 19,915
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah I think a scene like that would only serve to show why he's totally different from a bar drunk, not make him out to be one.
It's an interesting situation when you look at it. Clark hanging out with a bunch of down and outs in a very lonely part of the world. I wonder what it says about him at that point?

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #102
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,079
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

yeah......I'm really interested in just where they are going with this story.

so far everything looks great......it would really suck if the story turns out to be crappy and drastically changes what we love about the characters......

but I remain hopeful......

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #103
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,394
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Unless the plot synopsis is trying to give off a false advertisement on things, I think it says a lot on how the plot synopsis for the film opens with saying that Superman is revered as the most well known hero in the pantheon of heroes; so from just saying that, this film should try to establish on why Superman’s considered by many to be the hero that everyone looks up to and aspires to be like.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #104
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 19,915
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

I think it's all about set up. We see Clark at the beginning, obviously avoiding things at home and running away from his problems. That's not we've seen in the comics, but if they create a good enough reason as to why he's done that, then I won't really mind. But if it's because of a drastic change in his characterization, then that'll have been a very risky move to make.

And Nolan and Goyer have a habit of changing characterization of certain characters. I like what they did with Joker, I dislike what they did with Scarecrow and Zsaz, I thought Two-Face was interesting...and Batman, I like certain elements of his characterization, but I disliked his stance on not saving Ra's. It's all done for their story.

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #105
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,079
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

hopefully with Comic Con coming up (and possibly the trailer with TDKR) we will start learning more concrete info about the story.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #106
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,283
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
It's an interesting situation when you look at it. Clark hanging out with a bunch of down and outs in a very lonely part of the world. I wonder what it says about him at that point?
Well it could be any number of things.

Maybe something bad happened and he feels HE is too dangerous.

Maybe something bad happened and now he's just brooding.

Maybe nothing bad happened, but he's just been on the move for a while because he's afraid of staying in the same place too long and people asking too many questions.

Maybe he's deliberately trying to see what life is like for different people.

Maybe he's a journalist investigating bad conditions for oil rig workers (and it's these bad conditions that lead too an explosion).

Who knows?

We really know next to nothing of the plot. It's kind of exciting though

Really, all I'd like to settle my mind is a pic of Clark with glasses. Because right now, there's this possibility he might not have them, and if that's true it will have a big impact on how I feel about this film and how I approach it.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #107
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,394
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

I'm still holding out that it'll be revealed at the very end that Clark Kent will be wearing glasses, similar to how it was when Magneto finally donned his comic book attire at the very end of FC.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #108
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,283
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Yeah I'd be fine with that. I just wanna know they haven't done away with them completely in this franchise.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #109
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,394
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah I'd be fine with that. I just wanna know they haven't done away with them completely in this franchise.
Yep; on another note, I'm still excited to see how they tackle the stuff that the young actor said (that plays a young teenage Clark Kent in the film) regarding on how the film will deal with a lot of personal stuff in Clark's life for this film, regarding his struggles, and hell, even his love life, and how Snyder and co. are trying to portray Superman in this film in a way where audiences can really learn to care for him as a character.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #110
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,283
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

I can't wait to see it too. Because I KNOW what an amazing character he is, but the GA doesn't know the full extent of that.

I mean, I was having this arguement yesterday with a friend who said the MOS reboot was pointless because everyone knows Superman's origin.

And I said 'No, they really don't', because all people really know is Donner's origin. Kents find him, teenage Clark has an angsty moment, Pa Kent dies, Clark goes off to the arctic, Ice Castle rises up, Clark goes in, Superman flies out.

Basically, Clark becomes Superman because Jor-el tells him to. He tells him the rules, he tells him what to wear.

And that's not an origin I've ever been remotely interested in.

It is SO neccesary to reboot. It is so neccesary to really show Superman's character the way he is in his greatest stories. The guy who DECIDES to become a hero because he WANTS too. The guy with this incredibly strong respect for life, who feels the responsibility of the power he's been gifted with. The guy who grew up with pretty much a human childhood, with the same thoughts and feelings we all have, and who simply believes the goodness in the human race is something worth fighting for.

Not because he's some saviour from another world, not because it's his destiny... But because it is HIS world, and he cares about it.

That's why stuff like those prophecy rumours scare the heck out of me

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #111
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,394
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I can't wait to see it too. Because I KNOW what an amazing character he is, but the GA doesn't know the full extent of that.

I mean, I was having this arguement yesterday with a friend who said the MOS reboot was pointless because everyone knows Superman's origin.

And I said 'No, they really don't', because all people really know is Donner's origin. Kents find him, teenage Clark has an angsty moment, Pa Kent dies, Clark goes off to the arctic, Ice Castle rises up, Clark goes in, Superman flies out.

Basically, Clark becomes Superman because Jor-el tells him to. He tells him the rules, he tells him what to wear.

And that's not an origin I've ever been remotely interested in.

It is SO neccesary to reboot. It is so neccesary to really show Superman's character the way he is in his greatest stories. The guy who DECIDES to become a hero because he WANTS too. The guy with this incredibly strong respect for life, who feels the responsibility of the power he's been gifted with. The guy who grew up with pretty much a human childhood, with the same thoughts and feelings we all have, and who simply believes the goodness in the human race is something worth fighting for.

Not because he's some saviour from another world, not because it's his destiny... But because it is HIS world, and he cares about it.

That's why stuff like those prophecy rumours scare the heck out of me

I completely Agree!!!

I mean truth be told, most of the live action versions of Superman that we've seen since the Donner Era have been so greatly influenced by that version of Superman's origin that none of them have really ventured towards trying to establishing something new when it came to Clark Kent's journey towards becoming Superman.

"Smallville" had attempted to but as soon as they got into Season 5, they started to rely on the Donnerverse too much as a crutch.

And honestly, I was just reading a interview that Matthew Modine had conducted regarding his thoughts on recent superhero films and wow, he really dug himself deep with some of the comments that he had made regarding on how only Batman seems to be relatable for viewers whereas anyone else with powers are too beyond that.

I mention that because one of Superman's biggest criticisms from most fans is that he's unrelatable and how he's too goody goody/boyscout.

People have no problem getting past things like Spiderman having powers, being an genius, or things like Bruce Wayne being a billionaire playboy with the best conditioned body that a human being could have without genetically altering it...but when it comes to Superman, it seems like his powers and his ideals stop most people from digging deeper as to who he is; on who he can be.

Like you said, this is a guy that was raised as a human and has/would have a lot of human traits and wants like any other person has. What makes him so special is that he chooses to willingly put his own needs aside to help others.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #112
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 808
Default The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

If Man Of Steel does it's job right, it should turn the phrase "The weak exist to justify the strong" on it's ass. In this dog eat dog world, compassion tends to get thrown out the window sometimes. Sad but true. Humans are no different than any other animals in that regard. The strong prey on the weak and the intelligent exploit the stupidity of the unintelligent.

Everyone reading this has at least encountered one rotten person in their lifetime. Someone who's selfish, greedy, and narcissistic. I want you all to envision that person right now. Have you done that? Good. Now pretend he has Superman's powers.

- How long do you think it would take for that power to corrupt him completely?
- How long before he starts holding that power over the heads of others?
- You think he might become a little dangerous after awhile?
- Would you trust him with that kind of power?
- Would you trust yourself with that kind of power?

Here's the thing. We're ALL greedy. We're ALL selfish. In a way, we're ALL narcissistic. It is what makes us all human. That's Zod. He's what would happen if that type of power fell into the wrong hands. And that's the thing. Each and every one of us would have the potential to become Zod should we be granted with such power. As the saying goes, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

That's the ultimate conflict that lies within Superman. That's why he's the world's greatest hero. He was raised human. He's like us. And yet when granted with the ultimate power in the universe, he chooses to rise above his humanity and use it not for his own personal gain... but to serve.

Who here would do the same? Probably no one. That's what makes him Superman. That's what this film needs to capture.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #113
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

I don't believe power necessarily corrupts. I think it reveals.

It amounts to one's virtues and the honesty and courage of those virtues. I agree that Superman is exceptional in how he uses his powers.

I'm a huge fan of Nietzsche's philosophy, who's terribly misunderstood. Nietzsche believed that it was a virtue for the powerful to be generous. Not out of charity but philanthropy because one is overflowing with ability. In a sense, greatness is demonstrated in how much you can give.

That's what Dr. Manhattan reveals. He can do anything but ultimately abandons humanity. Superman dedicates his life to inspire excellence and help out because he genuinely values humans instead of looking down on them.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #114
dabilee01
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 336
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
If Man Of Steel does it's job right, it should turn the phrase "The weak exist to justify the strong" on it's ass. In this dog eat dog world, compassion tends to get thrown out the window sometimes. Sad but true. Humans are no differLent than any other animals in that regard. The strong prey on the weak and the intelligent exploit the stupidity of the unintelligent.

Everyone reading this has at least encountered one rotten person in their lifetime. Someone who's selfish, greedy, and narcissistic. I want you all to envision that person right now. Have you done that? Good. Now pretend he has Superman's powers.

- How long do you think it would take for that power to corrupt him completely?
- How long before he starts holding that power over the heads of others?
- You think he might become a little dangerous after awhile?
- Would you trust him with that kind of power?
- Would you trust yourself with that kind of power?

Here's the thing. We're ALL greedy. We're ALL selfish. In a way, we're ALL narcissistic. It is what makes us all human. That's Zod. He's what would happen if that type of power fell into the wrong hands. And that's the thing. Each and every one of us would have the potential to become Zod should we be granted with such power. As the saying goes, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

That's the ultimate conflict that lies within Superman. That's why he's the world's greatest hero. He was raised human. He's like us. And yet when granted with the ultimate power in the universe, he chooses to rise above his humanity and use it not for his own personal gain... but to serve.

Who here would do the same? Probably no one. That's what makes him Superman. That's what this film needs to capture.
Absolutely beautiful. Kudos, my friend. You hit it right on the nail.

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #115
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 26,501
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Wow, this is just so off. Superman does not rise above humanity. He embraces humanity and his place amongst us. If Superman saw himself above humanity, if he thought himself greater then it, he would be Zod or Darkseid or Luthor.

The DC universe has shown us jealousy, greed, selfishness aren't simply human traits. They are prevalent in all intelligent life. Kal-El is simply the best of us. Like his fathers, Bruce Wayne, Wally West, Hal Jordan, Diana and others.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 08-03-2012 at 09:33 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #116
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Clark wasn't raised with any desire to "rise above humanity" or show off. He knows that he's blessed with incredible powers but since he's a genuinely good person (they do exist, believe it or not) with a decent upbringing, Clark creates the Superman persona so he can use his powers to help out his fellow man rather than keep them bottled up and benefit no one.

If you were to give 10 people Superman's powers, at least 9 of them would be content with flying around and bench pressing heavy objects with no desire to rule over humanity. It's just that one guy who wants to mess it up for everyone else. Just my opinion.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #117
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,947
Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Young Clark interview... (old but I've never seen it on here and thought some others might like to see it)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJb-...yer_detailpage

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow


Last edited by The Shield; 08-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.
The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #118
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 808
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Clark wasn't raised with any desire to "rise above humanity" or show off. He knows that he's blessed with incredible powers but since he's a genuinely good person (they do exist, believe it or not) with a decent upbringing, Clark creates the Superman persona so he can use his powers to help out his fellow man rather than keep them bottled up and benefit no one.
I think you misunderstood me. When I say he chooses to "rise above his humanity", I'm not inferring that he sees himself as something greater than us. I'm saying that he chooses not to be a prisoner of his own humanity. Each and every one of us have given into temptation.

I'm sure Clark doesn't necessarily enjoy serving mankind as it's unofficial protector, but he chooses to anyway. I'm sure he's tempted to lead a normal, private life like the rest of us. And no one would blame him for it. He could just as easily take his powers and go home. But he doesn't. Because more so than even Spiderman, he understands that "with great power, comes great responsibility".

If Clark were more bound by his humanity, and he had given in more easily to greed... the world would be without Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
If you were to give 10 people Superman's powers, at least 9 of them would be content with flying around and bench pressing heavy objects with no desire to rule over humanity. It's just that one guy who wants to mess it up for everyone else. Just my opinion.
You don't know that. We are all bound by our limitations. You don't go to work because you want to. You go to work because you have to, because you need money, so you can eat, so you can keep a roof over your head, so you can survive. If you had Superman's powers, who's to say you would still go to work every morning when you can literally have anything you want? Who would stop you? At that point, money serves no purpose because you could just easily take what you want by force without consequence.

And that's not to say you would be on the fast track to enslaving humanity, but eventually you might use your powers to your advantage and take matters into your own hands. I bet you you're not gonna work 40 hours a week for a measly paycheck. And with no money in your pocket you're gonna have to find a way to acquire food somehow. Eventually you're probably just gonna go out there and take what you need any way you could get it... because no one would be able to stop you. And once you cross that line there's no going back. You are now no longer bound by human law. You have willingly chosen to exist beyond the walls of human civilization. You are now above it.

Humanity would live in fear, not knowing your next move and what exactly you might be capable of next. One week it's robbing a grocery store. The next week you're robbing Best Buy for a flat screen TV. Where would you know to draw the line? At what point would you NOT use your powers to serve your own needs? The truth is you may never stop, because as human beings... we always want/need more. You need a new house, right? Where are you gonna live? Clearly you're not paying rent anymore. Maybe you need a new house? Who's gonna build it? How are you gonna pay them? You can't pay them, so you have to force them to do it. Now you are actually bending people to your will. Believe it or not, maybe you do have the potential to enslave humanity.

Clark chooses to work. Clark chooses to exist among us. Clark chooses to use his powers to serve humanity. He's the 1 out of 10. Not Zod.


Last edited by Skrilla31; 08-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #119
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,283
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

I think you're forgetting a big aspect of why Clark's grown up not using his powers.

Because he is afraid of being caught. He is afraid of his life as he knows it being over.

He spent his entire childhood and young adult life choosing to live an ordinary life and hide his powers, because his parents and he know what would happen if the world knew about him. They'd be afraid of him, they'd try to attack him or capture him or even kill him.

And when he decides to become Superman, it's a huge risk he's taking. It's a big scary risk, exposing himself to the world like that. Knowing that all they will see is a threat, and it's very unlikely they will just let him go about his business saving lives as he sees fit... they won't like having such power out of their control.

He carries on working and being the normal Clark Kent because that's the only part of his life that is safe from all that. If the whole world rejected Superman, if the whole thing fails and everyone hates him... he can at least still have the safe haven of his every day life. He can still be Clark Kent.

If I suddenly got Superman's powers, do you think i'd be flying around, using my superpowers willy nilly to take whatever I want just because 'I can and no one can stop me?'

No, that way leads to nothing but bad for me. That way leads to people chasing me constantly. To me having no chance at being happy ever again. And most probably, to my own death (because even Superman's powers don't make you invincible).

It's not just about having these big high morals.

It's about protecting yourself and the people around you by not being a complete idiot.

Zod's different. He's not like us. He has nothing to loose. He has no 'life' to protect. His life, his entire world has been destroyed.

THAT'S what makes him an interesting character.

It's not 'What happens when you give someone who isn't Superman those powers'. It's 'What happens when you give someone who has nothing to loose those powers'.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 08-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #120
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 808
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
If I suddenly got Superman's powers, do you think i'd be flying around, using my superpowers willy nilly to take whatever I want just because 'I can and no one can stop me?'

No, that way leads to nothing but bad for me. That way leads to people chasing me constantly. To me having no chance at being happy ever again. And most probably, to my own death (because even Superman's powers don't make you invincible).
Lol, depends on which era of Superman your powers are drawn from. You might be truly invincible or you might just be kinda invincible. But assuming you were truly invincible and that you could not be hurt, no one is really gonna "chase" you because I'm sure they'd all be too scared to confront you in the first place.

And furthermore, would you use your powers the same way Clark chooses to? To serve and protect? Or would you just bottle it up and cast it aside... assuming of course you have it in you not to go the "Zod" route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Zod's different. He's not like us. He has nothing to loose. He has no 'life' to protect. His life, his entire world has been destroyed.

THAT'S what makes him an interesting character.

It's not 'What happens when you give someone who isn't Superman those powers'. It's 'What happens when you give someone who has nothing to loose those powers'.
Well I agree and disagree. I guess it's kind of a little bit of both. Perhaps the two of us just decide to interpret the character differently. And yet even though the two of us stand on different sides of the spectrum, it goes to show you that a Superman movie can be inherently interesting and that contrary to the belief that he's just a big blue boyscout... he's actually one of the more complex heroes around.

So again, even if we agree to disagree... I hope the film gets this all across in some way or another. One can only hope, right?

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #121
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,283
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Lol, depends on which era of Superman your powers are drawn from. You might be truly invincible or you might just be kinda invincible. But assuming you were truly invincible and that you could not be hurt, no one is really gonna "chase" you because I'm sure they'd all be too scared to confront you in the first place.

And furthermore, would you use your powers the same way Clark chooses to? To serve and protect? Or would you just bottle it up and cast it aside... assuming of course you have it in you not to go the "Zod" route.
No, they wouldn't be too scared to chase you, that's not how it works unfortunately.

The more afraid they were, the bigger guns/exposives they'd use, and the harder they'd try to kill you. Simple as that.

And in what interpretation of Superman is he completely invincible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Well I agree and disagree. I guess it's kind of a little bit of both. Perhaps the two of us just decide to interpret the character differently. And yet even though the two of us stand on different sides of the spectrum, it goes to show you that a Superman movie can be inherently interesting and that contrary to the belief that he's just a big blue boyscout... he's actually one of the more complex heroes around.

So again, even if we agree to disagree... I hope the film gets this all across in some way or another. One can only hope, right?
I'm fully aware of how interesting a Superman movie can be, and I too hope they show a lot of what I said.

Of course, from everything i've seen/read, it seems like what i've said is EXACTLY what we are getting.

An agressive reaction from the military to Superman's presence.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #122
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 26,501
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Clark has given into temptation and his "human" emotions many times. His relationship with Lois ring a bell? Lois would be far more safe without her connection to Superman, but Clark can't help himself. He loves her more then anything.

And yes, Clark may not like the need to protect humanity, but he couldn't live another life. It would be far too much of an internal struggle for him to not do what he is capable of. To help people. He is like those doctors who find themselves in places most of mankind has forgot.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 08-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #123
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
I'm sure Clark doesn't necessarily enjoy serving mankind as it's unofficial protector, but he chooses to anyway. I'm sure he's tempted to lead a normal, private life like the rest of us. And no one would blame him for it. He could just as easily take his powers and go home. But he doesn't. Because more so than even Spiderman, he understands that "with great power, comes great responsibility".

Like most superheroes, helping out mankind is his nature. Giving up the heroics would be difficult for him, especially if he was still physically capable of protecting the world.

You don't know that. We are all bound by our limitations. You don't go to work because you want to. You go to work because you have to, because you need money, so you can eat, so you can keep a roof over your head, so you can survive. If you had Superman's powers, who's to say you would still go to work every morning when you can literally have anything you want? Who would stop you? At that point, money serves no purpose because you could just easily take what you want by force without consequence.

He doesn't need to work but he probably gets a kick out of being a reporter and it allows him to help mankind outside of the costume.

And that's not to say you would be on the fast track to enslaving humanity, but eventually you might use your powers to your advantage and take matters into your own hands. I bet you you're not gonna work 40 hours a week for a measly paycheck. And with no money in your pocket you're gonna have to find a way to acquire food somehow. Eventually you're probably just gonna go out there and take what you need any way you could get it... because no one would be able to stop you. And once you cross that line there's no going back. You are now no longer bound by human law. You have willingly chosen to exist beyond the walls of human civilization. You are now above it.

Humanity would live in fear, not knowing your next move and what exactly you might be capable of next. One week it's robbing a grocery store. The next week you're robbing Best Buy for a flat screen TV. Where would you know to draw the line? At what point would you NOT use your powers to serve your own needs? The truth is you may never stop, because as human beings... we always want/need more. You need a new house, right? Where are you gonna live? Clearly you're not paying rent anymore. Maybe you need a new house? Who's gonna build it? How are you gonna pay them? You can't pay them, so you have to force them to do it. Now you are actually bending people to your will. Believe it or not, maybe you do have the potential to enslave humanity.

Clark chooses to work. Clark chooses to exist among us. Clark chooses to use his powers to serve humanity. He's the 1 out of 10. Not Zod.
Food? TVs? Really?
http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2011/05/diamond-jim.html

Money isn't a problem for someone with Superman powers. Clark chooses to live like a human but it's not like the only alternative is becoming evil like Lex or Zod. He could just as easily choose to become a lazy bum with the Midas touch. Point being, it all depends what kind of person you are and how you were raised. Some would abuse the power for more power, most would be content with being able to fly.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #124
Big Green
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,727
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
I'm sure Clark doesn't necessarily enjoy serving mankind as it's unofficial protector, but he chooses to anyway. I'm sure he's tempted to lead a normal, private life like the rest of us. And no one would blame him for it. He could just as easily take his powers and go home. But he doesn't. Because more so than even Spiderman, he understands that "with great power, comes great responsibility".

If Clark were more bound by his humanity, and he had given in more easily to greed... the world would be without Superman.

Humanity would live in fear, not knowing your next move and what exactly you might be capable of next. One week it's robbing a grocery store. The next week you're robbing Best Buy for a flat screen TV. Where would you know to draw the line? At what point would you NOT use your powers to serve your own needs? The truth is you may never stop, because as human beings... we always want/need more. You need a new house, right? Where are you gonna live? Clearly you're not paying rent anymore. Maybe you need a new house? Who's gonna build it? How are you gonna pay them? You can't pay them, so you have to force them to do it. Now you are actually bending people to your will. Believe it or not, maybe you do have the potential to enslave humanity.

Clark chooses to work. Clark chooses to exist among us. Clark chooses to use his powers to serve humanity. He's the 1 out of 10. Not Zod.
You're wrong here, he clearly can't "take his powers and go home" since home is destroyed and his adopted home is earth.
Clark was raised as a human,acting and feeling just like everyone else. That includes emotions and morals which his parents instilled in him.
Superman IS the story of someone with THE ABILITY TO DO THE RIGHT THING, DOING THE RIGHT THING. It's showing that if you are shown how to be and behave like a "good" person or a "hero" that you wouldn't be corrupted by power.

Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" analysis of Superman/Clark Kent is perfect. Clark is Superman getting to feel like a human, wears glasses even when he doesn't need them. Works when he doesn't have to. Wants to fall in love.

I think we've all summed this up in our posts.
"Having something to fight for is what truly makes you Heroic."

Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #125
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 26,501
Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

I love Kill Bill, but Tarantino doesn't understand Kal-El.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.