The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Default Peggy's status

I think even some hardened sorts were at least a little sad for Steve and Peggy.

Would you like to see it followed up on? According to deleted Avengers material, Peggy is alive and living in London.

Would you like that to be disregarded or do you want to see Cap visit old Peggy, perhaps have that dance they talk about?

I think I'll be in the minority that says; she died a while ago. She got married to one of the Howling Commandos, had a long, fulfilling life, and died happy.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Peggy's status

Personally, I don't think that it was said that they had filmed a scene between Steve and Peggy and then deleted it and that it was just originally in the script before being taken out by Joss, thus the scene itself not having ever been filmed.

Be that as it may, i think she may still be alive and see no reason why she couldn't be, even after the fact that a reunion between her and Steve in the modern day was originally intended to take place in "TA".

I think it would be bittersweet, probably one of the most saddest scenes in the MCU thus far if we saw Steve reuniting with an elder Peggy at the end of CA2 and them sharing their dance, and it would just be a icing on the cake if she were to finally pass away right after that.

For me, she definitely represents the last obstacle that Steve needs to overcome before he can truly move on with his life in the new world.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think it would be bittersweet, probably one of the most saddest scenes in the MCU thus far if we saw Steve reuniting with an elder Peggy at the end of CA2 and them sharing their dance,
Awww, I was against a return of Peggy in the sequel but now I just hope they cast someone like June Whitfield or Carla Laemmle...maybe even Angela Lansbury (although I don't think she fits the part as well as Carla or June, but certainly has the bigger name) and shoot that scene.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Awww, I was against a return of Peggy in the sequel but now I just hope they cast someone like June Whitfield or Carla Laemmle...maybe even Angela Lansbury (although I don't think she fits the part as well as Carla or June, but certainly has the bigger name) and shoot that scene.
I think it would actually be better and fitting if they brought in Hayley for that along with some impressive make up artists and just have her play the part again in the film.lol

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I think even Chris Evans would be creeped out by having to dance with some 95-year old for the sake of some fanservice.

Just let him visit her tombstone and deliver a tearful soliloquy, then move on.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I think even Chris Evans would be creeped out by having to dance with some 95-year old for the sake of some fanservice.

Just let him visit her tombstone and deliver a tearful soliloquy, then move on.

Chris Evans is a proffessional actor getting paid millions to do his job, not to mention a seemingly pretty nice dude...

I doubt he'd have a problem dancing with a little old lady if it would make a powerful scene for the movie.

And while I liked Haley as Peggy, no make up, get a real old lady
old people make-up is never very convincing
especially with that huge of an age difference

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think it would actually be better and fitting if they brought in Hayley for that along with some impressive make up artists and just have her play the part again in the film.lol
Old age make up never looks convincing. It just takes you out of the movie.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Old age make up never looks convincing. It just takes you out of the movie.
I agree 100% and I would totally not want to see a sappy dance between an old Peggy and Steve.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Blackman
C'mon Son

I actually wouldnt mind the first scene, at least with Steve, is him visiting Peggy's grave and talking to it

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Chris Evans is a proffessional actor getting paid millions to do his job, not to mention a seemingly pretty nice dude...

I doubt he'd have a problem dancing with a little old lady if it would make a powerful scene for the movie.

And while I liked Haley as Peggy, no make up, get a real old lady
old people make-up is never very convincing
especially with that huge of an age difference

Yeah, but they all have that musty old folks' smell. Wouldn't want to subject Evans to that

Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Yeah, but they all have that musty old folks' smell. Wouldn't want to subject Evans to that
Well then you must feel terrible that Chris spent so much time with Stan Lee on the set of The Avengers. God forbid people should live long enough to become old and possibly offend your senses.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
I don't know if you're just trolling or are in fact just that despicable. It would be a great, touching moment in the film, I don't know wha the hell your problem is with old people.

The old folks jokes are just that....jokes.
But the tombstone scene wasn't a joke. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Cap doing some silly dance with a 90-year old woman, or worse, Hayley in crappy makeup. The tombstone scene is starker, simpler, more sincere, less awkward, and gives Chris a far better chance to shine on his own. Plus it removes the creepy/douchey factor placed on Steve if he starts dating Sharon while Grandma Peggy's still not in her grave yet.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

I'd like to see the grave scene, but I'd take it one step further.

Peggy married Union James Falsworth/the Howling Commando in the maroon beret from the first movie. They're buried in adjoining graves and Steve visits them on their anniversary. He talks to them both, and isn't bitter or really sad, just wistful.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
marcvader
Lurker #1

^^^I like that. It actually helps in facilitating a relationship with Sharon.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Can't they digitally age Hayley Atwell by CGI? I agree old makeup never looks convincing, but that's because it seems a bit overdone and the prosthetics look fake. However, if they used CGI, wouldn't that be using her real face and skin but just manipulating it?

I think it could be touching if Cap gets to dance with Peggy. What could also work is having Hayley in make up in only a few scenes, but then either Peggy or Cap imagining that she's just as young as she ever was, so they have scenes of them looking like they normally look. Then when Steve pulls away (or Peggy pulls away) it goes back to showing her as old again. So it was all a kind of reverie moment for them. Perhaps Steve still sees her and thinks of her as the young woman he knew, or Peggy fantasises about being young again.

I don't really want Peggy to be played by another actress. It's just not the same, because you know it's not Atwell.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #16
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Can't they digitally age Hayley Atwell by CGI? I agree old makeup never looks convincing, but that's because it seems a bit overdone and the prosthetics look fake. However, if they used CGI, wouldn't that be using her real face and skin but just manipulating it?

I think it could be touching if Cap gets to dance with Peggy. What could also work is having Hayley in make up in only a few scenes, but then either Peggy or Cap imagining that she's just as young as she ever was, so they have scenes of them looking like they normally look. Then when Steve pulls away (or Peggy pulls away) it goes back to showing her as old again. So it was all a kind of reverie moment for them. Perhaps Steve still sees her and thinks of her as the young woman he knew, or Peggy fantasises about being young again.

I don't really want Peggy to be played by another actress. It's just not the same, because you know it's not Atwell.
That's why I'd much prefer to just dodge all that mess and say Peggy's long since passed away. That, and have Hayley Atwell return --- as Sharon Carter. That would go a loooong way to explain why/how Steve hooks up with Sharon: "You're the spitting image of your great aunt (or whatever)."

Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Blackman
C'mon Son

Speaking of old person makeup. They actually did a real good job for THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I think with the love they set up between Steve and Peggy, and how he still loves her and thinks about her in the Avengers, and how SHIELD could easily take him to London, I would like to see him visit Peggy. Maybe see that she moved on, had kids, her kids had kids. Something to help Steve and the audience know its okay to move on.
However if Steve finds out that she has died while he was frozen and visits her grave to say goodbye then that also would help him and the audience to move on.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Sorry guys, but Kevin Feige and Joe Johnston said she's alive, so she's alive. And it's staying that way.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Sorry guys, but Kevin Feige and Joe Johnston said she's alive, so she's alive. And it's staying that way.
Joe Johnston isn't making this movie.
And if Peggy isn't needed for the plot of CA2, then Feige isn't going to throw a hissy if the Russos say she's dead.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #21
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Joe Johnston isn't making this movie.
And if Peggy isn't needed for the plot of CA2, then Feige isn't going to throw a hissy if the Russos say she's dead.
Exactly.

The accumulated theatrical releases are all that matter.

If there's nothing in the movies that says one thing or the other about Peggy being dead, then it's still up in the air if she is or isn't.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #22
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Wrong. Feige clearly has some final, creative say in all of this. He says Peggy is alive. Doesn't matter what you guys think. None of you are the writers or producers.

Feige said she's alive and so she is alive. That's that. Until they say otherwise, she's alive. You saying she's dead on SHH forums doesn't means she's dead. The producer of the movie and architect of the MCU says she isn't dead.

In fact, she JUST actually died in the 616 as I recall so she'd been alive in the comics as well all this time.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #23
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wrong. Feige clearly has some final, creative say in all of this. He says Peggy is alive. Doesn't matter what you guys think. None of you are the writers or producers.

Feige said she's alive and so she is alive. That's that. Until they say otherwise, she's alive. You saying she's dead on SHH forums doesn't means she's dead. The producer of the movie and architect of the MCU says she isn't dead.

In fact, she JUST actually died in the 616 as I recall so she'd been alive in the comics as well all this time.
So you're saying that there's absolutely no way that Captain America 2 will reveal that Peggy had died anywhere from 60 years to six months ago, right?

No way is that going to happen. He couldn't change his mind and say that Peggy was dead all that time. Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

*Where* does Kevin Feige say Peggy is still alive?
Please quote this. Or Joe Johnston, for that matter.
I'll buy you a cookie if you can produce a quote that backs you up.

Here's the deal:
JOSS WHEDON is the one who *hinted* she might still be alive, because he told the NYT that he had a scene in the Avengers script that would have featured Steve meeting an old, old Peggy who was still alive, but he scrapped it without shooting it because he realized it didn't work at all.

Again, if you can find *any* evidence that Feige says Peggy Carter is still alive, and will return in CA2, this cookie can be yours....all yours

Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

What if they go with the Ultimate approach where she's alive and moved on with someone else, like someone stated before maybe with a howling commando, but I do like the dance idea that's closure from first film

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote