Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #76
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I think he's a good choice for Superman. His scores are big and powerful, and so is Superman. I'm expecting something stirring and regal.
YES! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have faith that it's going to be something all original and it will be EPIC sounding. Absolutely can't wait to hear what he comes up with.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #77
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
I will be interested to hear what Hans Zimmer will come up with for a Superman Score. There is no doubt he is a talented composer, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of creating mediocre scores. Hopefully he does an awesome job. I absolutely love King of Pride Rock from Lion King and Time from Inception. Hopefully he can match that quality.
I have this strange feeling that Nolan is going to have A LOT of input as to how the score is going to come out.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #78
raybia
Signing off

Not surprising but its a very good choice. Looking forward to hearing Zimmer's music characterization of Superman.

I would love if he can erase in my mind Williams' score but odds are he won't be able. I don't know if anyone can.

Thanks Hype for the memories!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #79
Alchemy Arcade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
I'm interested in hearing what sound Zimmer will come up for Krypton seeing that it has neo-medieval feel.
Well now I'm even more excited.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #80
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

So after he concluded his lackluster scores for the Nolan batman trilogy he'll begin writing new lackluster scores for the MOS franchise. Oh goodie. So Hans is also a liar. He said a while back that he wouldn't score Superman "it'd be like trying top Beethoven's 9th" or something like that he said. So he must think he can top Williams' theme? Good luck on that.

They couldn't find anybody else? Somebody who could use a project like this. Somebody who's trying to breakout like Chris Bacon, for example. Or a established composer like Giachinno, Powell, Don Davis, Marco Beltrami, Shore, Desplat to name a few. Zimmer and his cronies are scoring every blockbuster movie these days it's pathetic. Hollywood give them a break already. This just proves that Zimmer is very overrated. He'll probably end up scoring the JL movie whenever that happens.

I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's gonna be really tough for me. They really should've went with somebody else instead, imho.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #81
Krumm
Beer Snob

Any complaints? No? Didn't think so

Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #82
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
thank god, the last thing i would have wanted was someone too much like John Williams, to which they would just be a much lesser john williams.
Agreed. Makes more sense to go with a different style. Personally, I wouldn't even be that bothered if there wasn't a strong theme anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well, I'm just glad it's not Tyler Bates. I was admittedly hoping for someone else, but Zimmer scores are usually enjoyable and powerful when they need to be, so I guess I'm happy.
I would've been really disappointed if it were Bates. Zimmer will know what to do with movie, I'm sure.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #83
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post

So after he concluded his lackluster scores for the Nolan batman trilogy he'll begin writing new lackluster scores for the MOS franchise. Oh goodie. So Hans is also a liar. He said a while back that he wouldn't score Superman "it'd be like trying top Beethoven's 9th" or something like that he said. So he must think he can top Williams' theme? Good luck on that.
I don't think he was lying at the time (however, people involved with the film industry lie all the time) -- he was busy working on TDKR and Madagascar 3 at the time. And what you were referring to is that he wouldn't re-arrange or use John Williams' themes.

Zimmer getting involved is purely Nolan's doing. And even then he probably wasn't even swayed into doing MOS until he saw footage and decided he wanted to do this. It's not like the studio had a film option on him like they do with the actors. It's not just Nolan calling a favor on a friend and Zimmer changed his tune, he had to have seen some footage and liked what he saw.

You're overreacting to this. And he's better than the alternative: Tyler Bates.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #84
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

I'm ecstatic hearing about Hans scoring! He's a very versatile composer with a wide range of styles. You know you're good when you can make a score like Kung Fu Panda's then pull a 180 with a score like Inception. He's also well verse heroic themes (Gladiator, Last Samurai, the Rock, Pearl Harbor, etc). My worries about the score being uninspired and underwhelming can now be put to rest.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #85
The Guard
Side-Kick

Eh. Solid. Safe. Decent, to be sure, but often somewhat generic. Hopefully he'll at least come up with something that works well with the film, if its not particularly memorable.

Can't wait to hear the "foreign choral voices" for Kryptonian sequences, and the "dundundundundundundundundun" applied to Superman.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #86
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I don't think he was lying at the time (however, people involved with the film industry lie all the time) -- he was busy working on TDKR and Madagascar 3 at the time. And what you were referring to is that he wouldn't re-arrange or use John Williams' themes.

Zimmer getting involved is purely Nolan's doing. And even then he probably wasn't even swayed into doing MOS until he saw footage and decided he wanted to do this. It's not like the studio had a film option on him like they do with the actors. It's not just Nolan calling a favor on a friend and Zimmer changed his tune, he had to have seen some footage and liked what he saw.

You're overreacting to this. And he's better than the alternative: Tyler Bates.
Yeah I am overreacting but I have my reasons. They really should've went with somebody else. It's like every big franchise movie is being scored by Zimmer and his cronies. It would be nice to see somebody else getting a shot at a film like this. It's not that Hans really needs this project. And that's not saying much that Zimmer is better than Bates. There's many composers working today I feel are way better than Bates.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #87
A.Stabelli
Man Of Steel

Hans is a great choice. I feel he can bring something different to Superman. And what this movie needs is to be different from the previous Superman films. The score needs to reflect that, and I think Hans is the right man for the job.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #88
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
My worries about the score being uninspired and underwhelming can now be put to rest.
Hans is a talented guy and when he puts his mind to it, he can turn out some amazing product. Omitting his animated scores, work like The Thin Red Line, The Da Vinci Code and "The Pacific" represent Zimmer at his creative best. Even the minimalist The Ring was stunningly beautiful, in a bleak, monochromatic way.

It's just that he's doing a lot of action movies, and a lot of his action scores today have become uninspired. And most of his work on Nolan's movies have fallen into the uninspired territory. Even Inception's best music moments were mostly inspired from Zack Hemsey's trailer music for said film.

Considering Zimmer will be working with Snyder and not Nolan at the spotting and scoring sessions, I pray Snyder lets Zimmer go in different creative directions. Have him write music to picture, as opposed to writing a cue that will be cut into pieces to fit the film.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #89
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Stabelli View Post
Hans is a great choice. I feel he can bring something different to Superman. And what this movie needs is to be different from the previous Superman films. The score needs to reflect that, and I think Hans is the right man for the job.
It'll be different from Williams' score that's for sure. But it won't be any different from Zimmer's other blockbuster scores or any other MV/RC blockbuster scores for that matter. Superman shouldn't sound like any other blockbuster score especially ones scored by Zimmer and his crew.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #90
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Yeah I am overreacting but I have my reasons. They really should've went with somebody else. It's like every big franchise movie is being scored by Zimmer and his cronies.
The film is well over a year away from release. There's always a possibility that the studio wants a different approach, throws Zimmer's score out and brings in someone like Alexandre Desplat or Patrick Doyle to bring a more lyrical tone to the film.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that happening. But the possibility of Zimmer being replaced on MOS is very slim.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #91
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
The film is well over a year away from release. There's always a possibility that the studio wants a different approach, throws Zimmer's score out and brings in someone like Alexandre Desplat or Patrick Doyle to bring a more lyrical tone to the film.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that happening. But the possibility of Zimmer being replaced on MOS is very slim.
Which is very true I'm sad to agree.. I'll try to keep an open mind but like I said before it's going to be tough for me.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #92
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The greatest news I've read today

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #93
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Well, at least Bates wasn't hired? The score AT LEAST needs to be as good as Inception, but I'm not getting my hopes up, though. At this point, I'm just hoping it doesn't end up as hit twenty-fifth aping of The Rock.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #94
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Love Zimmer.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #95
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCAW View Post
???......your point being?....I never said any which movie he's worked on, without saying it I hinted towards that everything the man has done has a dark tone to it in some way.

And from all the movies you listed I've seen all (excrept for Rango) and they do clearly have dark tones.
Have you seen the first Kung Fu Panda? There's not a dark tone amongst any of that score. Even the darkest parts of the score still sound fun and exciting.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #96
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
YES! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have faith that it's going to be something all original and it will be EPIC sounding. Absolutely can't wait to hear what he comes up with.
Exactly. Hans knows how to do epic.

In the past Zimmer said: "John Williams, the greatest living composer ó full stop. And that happens to be one of his greatest themes. So no. And Iím not thinking of rewriting Beethovenís ninth either. It just sounds like a thankless task, you know?"

A reboot of the music is essential and we will get that. I'm very confident Zimmer will move in a different direction and not try to replicate that style of theme. Therefore each thing can be judged seperately.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #97
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCAW View Post
???......your point being?....I never said any which movie he's worked on, without saying it I hinted towards that everything the man has done has a dark tone to it in some way.

And from all the movies you listed I've seen all (except for Rango) and they do clearly have dark tones.
and superman score shoud have some dark tones aswell

superman is'nt finding nemo lol

Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #98
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

This is awesome. I just hope he's past seeing this as a "thankless task" and gives it his all. I'd also love it if he took a cue from his own stuff in "Prince of Egypt".

Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #99
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Zimmer is known for his powerful scores, but can he do soft melodious tones for emotional parts of the movie ?

I would not mind if he teams up with JNH again, but it may not happen.

*\S/T*
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #100
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Zimmer is known for his powerful scores, but can he do soft melodious tones for emotional parts of the movie ?

I would not mind if he teams up with JNH again, but it may not happen.
Lion King - This Land
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The Last Samurai - Safe Passage
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Gladiator - Now We Are Free
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End - What Shall We Die For
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

just to name a few

Last edited by Project862006; 06-19-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Closed Thread