The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman Begins

Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: Batman Begins is the greatest Batman Film to me.

In Begins something I notice is possibly some editing issues, especially in some of the scenes with training with R'as where he says a few of the exact same lines multiple times in a matter of minutes.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Plus, I think it has one of the greatest movie lines of all time "I'm Batman!" - it just says everything in two words!

The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #28
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strategos View Post
Plus, I think it has one of the greatest movie lines of all time "I'm Batman!" - it just says everything in two words!
That was from Batman89. Only that time it wasn't ruined by a mediocre one-liner right afterwards.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I can't even remember the one-liner so it must have sucked !

Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strategos View Post
I can't even remember the one-liner so it must have sucked !
"Nice coat."

That's an anthological example of how to ruin a great scene with only two words. Humour shouldn't be a must, it should come when it comes.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

^^^Then Batman is some how able to fly like Superman. I thought his cape helps him glide when he jumps off a balcony, building or the top of something at least 50 feet in the air. He's on top of Falcone's car holding him with both hands and just takes off like Superman. He didn't use his grappling hook either. So I guess Nolan's batman does have superpowers.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Nah, my theory is that he was planning the trick and so had his magentic grapple already stuck to a high beam so he could just pull up and vanish, terrifiying his enemies just like R'az taught him!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #33
Boom
I got nothin'

The problems that drag Batman Begins down for me:

Excessive repetition of the film's theme
- In college, I convinced my roommates to partake in a BB drinking game. Every time a character said the word "fear," you take a shot. Needless to say, we had to stop fifteen minutes in, as we realized that continuing this game would result in all of our deaths. This movie beats its theme over your head so many freakin' times that WB should have offered moviegoers a complimentary visit to the hospital to be checked for concussions. It was just ridiculously heavy-handed at times.

Katie Holmes, and the character of Rachel Dawes as a whole
This issue kinda bleeds over into TDK, but at least TDK benefits from being spared the awfulness that was Katie Holmes. At no point, in all of my viewings of this film, did I ever buy her as a believable assistant district attorney. She looked like a child trying to fit in with the grown ups. The way she spoke her lines with any sense of urgency or reprimand just screamed, "Take me seriously!" She was way out of her depth, and she compensated by trying way too hard.

The character was condescending and holier-than-thou throughout the entire film, to the point where I seriously wondered what the hell Bruce saw in her. All her little snipes and jabs at him throughout the film (and coming to a head when he's getting ready for his ****ing birthday, of all things), just wore extremely thin for me, to the point where I was seriously rooting for Bruce to just say, "You know what? Screw you, Rachel." There was not a single likable thing about her in this movie for me, resulting in the last scene meaning nothing to me.

Preachy, unnatural dialogue
Did Falcone practice that speech of his in anticipation of Bruce showing up? Because there was nothing natural about his dialogue in that particular scene. People just don't talk that way in spontaneous conversation. When a scene blatantly feels scripted, something's wrong.

This problem surfaces with a few other characters as well - notably Ra's al Ghul, Thomas Wayne, and Rachel. With Ra's, it's somewhat okay, given that he was teaching Bruce ideologies and techniques. But with Thomas and Rachel, it got really heavy-handed at times.

One-liners
Horrible.

Under-utilized villains
Scarecrow being the most egregious of the three. Nolan had an opportunity to go all-out with the Scarecrow - particularly with the fear toxin sequences. Instead, we get a character who is taken out of the picture in the most anti-climactic, pathetic way humanly possible, and fear toxin sequences that were incredibly subdued and left so much to be desired. The character was just barely better than boring. With minor tweaking, he could have been removed from the film, and the plot would have been almost entirely intact.

The third act
All the good faith that Nolan had built up in the first act was almost wiped away with the brainless third act. We went from a thoughtful, engaging character study to a dumbed-down, generic action movie with the monorail sequence.

The batsuit
This is a completely re-invented take on Batman, but we get yet another rubber batsuit? What a ****ing disappointment. It still hurts.

Bruce does not kill?
Bruce claims he will not take a life, yet his actions in the monastery result in the deaths of several ninjas, his actions in the Tumbler endangered the lives of law-enforcing police officers, and his inaction on the monorail resulted in the death of Ra's al Ghul. So homicide is a no-no, but negligent manslaughter is fine and dandy? That doesn't sound like the Batman I know.

Last edited by Boom; 07-04-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #34
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post

- In college, I convinced my roommates to partake in a BB drinking game. Every time a character said the word "fear," you take a shot. Needless to say, we had to stop fifteen minutes in, as we realized that continuing this game would result in all of our deaths. This movie beats its theme over your head so many freakin' times that WB should have offered moviegoers a complimentary visit to the hospital to be checked for concussions. It was just ridiculously heavy-handed at times.

This issue kinda bleeds over into TDK, but at least TDK benefits from being spared the awfulness that was Katie Holmes. At no point, in all of my viewings of this film, did I ever buy her as a believable assistant district attorney. She looked like a child trying to fit in with the grown ups. The way she spoke her lines with any sense of urgency or reprimand just screamed, "Take me seriously!" She was way out of her depth, and she compensated by trying way too hard.

The character was condescending and holier-than-thou throughout the entire film, to the point where I seriously wondered what the hell Bruce saw in her. All her little snipes and jabs at him throughout the film (and coming to a head when he's getting ready for his ****ing birthday, of all things), just wore extremely thin for me, to the point where I was seriously rooting for Bruce to just say, "You know what? Screw you, Rachel." There was not a single likable thing about her in this movie for me, resulting in the last scene meaning nothing to me.

Did Falcone practice that speech of his in anticipation of Bruce showing up? Because there was nothing natural about his dialogue in that particular scene. People just don't talk that way in spontaneous conversation. When a scene blatantly feels scripted, something's wrong.

This problem surfaces with a few other characters as well - notably Ra's al Ghul, Thomas Wayne, and Rachel. With Ra's, it's somewhat okay, given that he was teaching Bruce ideologies and techniques. But with Thomas and Rachel, it got really heavy-handed at times.

One-liners
Horrible.

Under-utilized villains
Scarecrow being the most egregious of the three. Nolan had an opportunity to go all-out with the Scarecrow - particularly with the fear toxin sequences. Instead, we get a character who is taken out of the picture in the most anti-climactic, pathetic way humanly possible, and fear toxin sequences that were incredibly subdued and left so much to be desired. The character was just barely better than boring. With minor tweaking, he could have been removed from the film, and the plot would have been almost entirely intact.

The third act
All the good faith that Nolan had built up in the first act was almost wiped away with the brainless third act. We went from a thoughtful, engaging character study to a dumbed-down, generic action movie with the monorail sequence.

The batsuit
This is a completely re-invented take on Batman, but we get yet another rubber batsuit? What a ****ing disappointment. It still hurts.

Bruce does not kill?
Bruce claims he will not take a life, yet his actions in the monastery result in the deaths of several ninjas, his actions in the Tumbler endangered the lives of law-enforcing police officers, and his inaction on the monorail resulted in the death of Ra's al Ghul. So homicide is a no-no, but negligent manslaughter is fine and dandy? That doesn't sound like the Batman I know.
I agree with you on all of your problems with BB. In fact I couldn't have said it better myself. This movie is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from the greatest batman movie,imo.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #35
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #36
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I also found Racheal extremely annoying and something about just looking at her made me feel tired. Also, conidering Gothan clearly is a temperate country, she was harldy wearing any clothes!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

One-liners
Horrible.

Under-utilized villains

The third act

The batsuit

Bruce does not kill?
Good list.

I particularly agree about the repetition of the theme, the dialogue, Holmes, and the third act.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #38
ALP
In The Mountains

I love this movie, I think it's a really terrific film. Begins was the first Batman film I ever saw in theaters and it's what got me into comics. For that, I will always be indebted to Nolan. Batman Begins will always have a very special place in my heart. There was a time when I had just about the entire film memorized from watching it so much.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #39
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

BB is absolutely my favorite Batman film. I even like the little flaws. It also has the best batsuit I've ever seen because it was intimidating and it didn't make Bruce look like a man in a suit. What makes me like BB the most is that it has an ugly horror movie tone.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #40
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:

One-liners
Horrible.

Under-utilized villains

The third act

The batsuit

Bruce does not kill?
Best post ever. Begins is overrated.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #41
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:

One-liners
Horrible.

Under-utilized villains

The third act

The batsuit

Bruce does not kill?
I knew there was a reason I enjoy your posts.

With that said though, I prefer Batman Begins over The Dark Knight.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #42
ALP
In The Mountains

U guyz are teh suck!!!!1

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #43
The Strategos
Side-Kick

And I still think "I'm Batman" is the best line in a superhero movie EVER !

Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #44
ALP
In The Mountains

But which movie!?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #45
The Strategos
Side-Kick

It's from Batman Begins of course, when he pulls Falconi up out of the car!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #46
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
^^^Then Batman is some how able to fly like Superman. I thought his cape helps him glide when he jumps off a balcony, building or the top of something at least 50 feet in the air. He's on top of Falcone's car holding him with both hands and just takes off like Superman. He didn't use his grappling hook either. So I guess Nolan's batman does have superpowers.
Batman uses that grappling wire the same way he uses it when he escapes from his attack on Scarecrow at the Narrows when he gets on the roof to call Alfred. It doesn't show the wire, but it's obvious as it's the same way.

Superpowers

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #47
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Batman uses that grappling wire the same way he uses it when he escapes from his attack on Scarecrow at the Narrows when he gets on the roof to call Alfred. It doesn't show the wire, but it's obvious as it's the same way.

Superpowers
Oh I knew that was the case, but it was poorly done, imo. It looked cheesy.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #48
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Didn't look cheesy at all once I saw that spot in the Narrows.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #49
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Agreed, it was awesome IMHO !!!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #50
Ilayda
Banned User

I totally agree with the topic. All those movies got inspired by BATMAN. It is not only a fantastic movie but also has a philosophical discourses in it. Also, it got 8.3 on imdb

Last edited by Ilayda; 07-27-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Ilayda is offline   Reply With Quote