The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #76
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Default Re: Could this be the Star Wars of comic movies?

I'm pretty confident in the fact that this will be one of, if not the, most memorable movies from the past 15 years. People turned out in droves to see this, and I've personally talked to dozens of my friends who were blown away by the film. The Avengers set the bar for what a comic book movie that fully embraces the source material can really do, people won't forget that. It may not make as big as a cultural impact that star wars did back in its day, but you never know..

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #77
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The Hulk has spent years and years of entirely popular runs as an intelligent, rational character who largely does super hero stuff. There is nothing about the Hulk's concept that requires that he *always* be hunted by the military, non-stop, no changes ever. The core concept of the Hulk is a mix of Jekyll/Hyde and Frankenstein; having a story where "Jekyll and Hyde" come to some accommodation, and Frankenstein actually finds a place, is a totally valid progression of events. Particularly seeing as Marvel has *already moved in that direction*, which means reverting to the prior status quo would be a really bad idea from a dramatic perspective ( and a "selling tickets to audiences" perspective ).
I agree. In TIH they had the introduction for Doc Samson, The Leader, and I think they could do Absorbing man the right way, not that abomination (pun intended) they did with Ang Lee's film.

I thought the whole MCU did a great job of taking us from the real grounded world of the first Iron Man film to the more fantastical elements in Thor and Avengers. So it's time to bring that to the Hulk.

One small caveat, is that I loved William Hurt as Gen. Ross and would not mind seeing him return.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #78
elgaz
Side-Kick

I loved Avengers, and I think in terms of box-office, talk amongst fans, merchandising, etc, it will be as big as Star Wars was at the time of it's release. You simply can't deny that it's been a massive hit. It's also a massive talking point amongst film fans in general, the subject of intense analysis, and it will definitely boost the careers of some of its stars (just as Harrison Ford found out).

Will it have the same cultural impact though? No, I don't think so.

As fresh as Avengers was, it was still using established characters who have been around now in comic and cartoon form for many years. And also in film form, to a lesser extent. That blunts the effect somewhat in terms of cultural impact.

Star Wars on the other hand was something entirely new, an unknown entity. Nobody knew who Luke Skywalker was, or Darth Vader, or C3PO. Like an asteroid, it came out of nowhere and obliterated cinema audiences everywhere, and thats why it left this huge crater behind it which numerous people have been trying to fill ever since with sequels, ripoffs, adaptions, etc. The characters were beautifully written, the universe they inhabited was uniquely crafted with great detail, the stories were dramatic, and so on. But the main thing was, it was all very new and exciting. There hadn't been anything really like Star Wars until ........................... well, Star Wars.

But then again ................................. Star Wars essentially revitalised a tired genre (the space flick) which had become stale after a diet of 60s and 70s sci-fi efforts. In a similar manner, Avengers is arguably revitalising a genre which already exists also. Ironically, around the same time that Star Wars came out, there was a little comic-based film called "Superman" which brought humour, bright colours, action and superhero spectacle to our cinema screens. Since that film though, comic-based movies have grown a bit darker, a bit more serious, and take themselves a bit more seriously. One thing that Avengers (and it's Marvel-character predecessors over the last few years) has done very, very well is to take that genre and give it an injection of fun again, and does so without being campy or cheesy.

elgaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #79
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
But then again ................................. Star Wars essentially revitalised a tired genre (the space flick) which had become stale after a diet of 60s and 70s sci-fi efforts. In a similar manner, Avengers is arguably revitalising a genre which already exists also.
Superhero genre neede to be revitalised? I wasn't aware. Last thing I heard was that there were a bunch of those movies coming every year and not long ago one did a billion dollars too.

Quote:
Ironically, around the same time that Star Wars came out, there was a little comic-based film called "Superman" which brought humour, bright colours, action and superhero spectacle to our cinema screens. Since that film though, comic-based movies have grown a bit darker, a bit more serious, and take themselves a bit more seriously. One thing that Avengers (and it's Marvel-character predecessors over the last few years) has done very, very well is to take that genre and give it an injection of fun again, and does so without being campy or cheesy.
Fun and colors needed to be brought back? Really? Were they vastly missing in these movies? Again, I wasn't aware.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #80
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Superhero genre neede to be revitalised? I wasn't aware. Last thing I heard was that there were a bunch of those movies coming every year and not long ago one did a billion dollars too.
Not revitalised in a monetary sense. Revitalised in terms of tone and mood. In the sense that .......... the film doesn't have to dwell on pain, angst, darkness, etc, as the driving force for our heroes. And it doesn't have to be ultra serious. Batman, Spiderman and Superman have all had this approach in recent incarnations. The Avengers was just fun. Even the bits of it which could have come across as very sombre (Banner's admission of the suicide attempt) were still handled in a relatively upbeat way befitting the overall tone of the movie. Glad you're now aware

Quote:
Fun and colors needed to be brought back? Really? Were they vastly missing in these movies? Again, I wasn't aware.
Colours? FF and Spiderman had them. Batman films have been dark, SR quite muted. Hulk films were a mish-mash .... dark in places, bright but mishandled in others. Very few of the more recent films have really been fun to watch, unlike Avengers. My opinion

elgaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #81
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Not revitalised in a monetary sense. Revitalised in terms of tone and mood. In the sense that .......... the film doesn't have to dwell on pain, angst, darkness, etc, as the driving force for our heroes. And it doesn't have to be ultra serious. Batman, Spiderman and Superman have all had this approach in recent incarnations. The Avengers was just fun. Even the bits of it which could have come across as very sombre (Banner's admission of the suicide attempt) were still handled in a relatively upbeat way befitting the overall tone of the movie. Glad you're now aware
That's not revitalising. That's just choosing one approach. Which is far from being forgotten before Avengers. Raimi's Spider-man movies were nothing dark or gritty, let alone ultra serious (scratch that, just serious).

Quote:
Colours? FF and Spiderman had them. Batman films have been dark, SR quite muted. Hulk films were a mish-mash .... dark in places, bright but mishandled in others. Very few of the more recent films have really been fun to watch, unlike Avengers. My opinion
Well, Thor was darkened in colors, so was Loki and certainly Hawkeye, who didn't have an iota of purple or his mask.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #82
Agent 194
Class One Supervisor

Been a while since I've been on here. El Payaso,...far and away my favorite avatar and character on the boards.

I enjoyed Avengers. I thought it was a bit like an, ah, adult movie. You just kept waiting for the exposition to get over with and get to the action. And once it did some of the action was a bit silly. Some of it very satisfying.

I'd like to see a fight done however, similar to the ones Kirby drew in the old FF's. Kinda like FF #73 http://www.samruby.com/OtherTitles/F...ticFour073.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmynXHrR74w&NR

Agent 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #83
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 194 View Post
Been a while since I've been on here. El Payaso,...far and away my favorite avatar and character on the boards.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #84
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

If Avengers is like Star Wars with being family friendly Sci-fi fantasy adventure then Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/TDKR is like Terminator 1 & 2/Blade Runner as they are dark, adult and drama driven movies like those 3.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #85
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

LOL @ this thread.

No. The Avengers was a popcorn flick. They avoided going into a plot with depth and opted for one liners and some snazzy action scenes. As pointed out in other thread, Xmen First Class is far superior with depth in handling a lot of characters on screen. Much better film and with a good plot.

Avengers +lot's of cool heroes -same old alien portal plot -villain gets boring after a while and no other main baddies to boost up interest

Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #86
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

Hmhm. We'll see in a few years, but I shrewdly suspect general opinion will disagree with you.

Adamantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #87
uchiha_itachi
Baym!

I like to think this is the current generations Original Trilogy Star Wars.

"Madam, I am a professional. The Key to my release is under this pillow."

Add me on Playstation Network!
Avvy By
uchiha_itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #88
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Guardians of the Galaxy will be the Star Wars of comic book movies.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #89
El Payaso
Banned User

In order to be the Star Wars of something, you need no other Star Wars-similar movies around.