Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #26
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
well to be fair who of the big four was a big name character before these movies...Hulk??? Maybe Cap????
Touche. But those characters have far larger profiles even in comicdom, let alone the movie-going audience.

Right now, I wouldn't say that T'Challa is an A-List Marvel character, would you? I mean that whole Storm marriage stupidity was done to boost his status...which failed.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I wouldn't say he's a-list, but the Storm marriage undoubtedly boosted T'Challa's profile, and helped make Volume 4 a success. It's often critiqued, but there's no doubt that it sold well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Cameos from any of the Big 4 (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk or Thor) would be essential.
I'm not feeling you here. At all. Nick Fury, yeah, but Black Panther isn't so deplorable that he can't stand on his own two feet. And a cameo can have the opposite effect, btw. Like Howard Stark in Cap, it can derail the film a bit and send the message that the character isn't worth telling without other heroes around.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
Lightning Strykez!

Are they still married? I dropped off in my readership after the whole female Black Panther thing emerged.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yep. They're apart a lot though. Generally it gets mentioned when characters tear down one or the other individual (usually T'Challa) to discredit the marriage.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
Lightning Strykez!

Okay I'm going on a limb here but...

...what is the likelihood of Marvel taking the rights of Storm from FOX and casting a new actress opposite the T'Challa character as the Wakanda Queen in a solo film for him? She could be a supporting character--and not be Halle Berry--but would bring some interesting visual effect to the film and hold the fort down while he handles the film's main challenge. I think seeing two of Comicdoms greatest and most successful black characters on sceen together could be amazing...

...thoughts?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #31
Changeling
Banned User

Quote:
Okay I'm going on a limb here but...

...what is the likelihood of Marvel taking the rights of Storm from FOX and casting a new actress opposite the T'Challa character as the Wakanda Queen in a solo film for him? She could be a supporting character--and not be Halle Berry--but would bring some interesting visual effect to the film and hold the fort down while he handles the film's main challenge. I think seeing two of Comicdoms greatest and most successful black characters on sceen together could be amazing...

...thoughts?
Dude great idea, but I dunno if I see it happening, if Marvel could easily get certain characters back from Fox wouldnt they have done it already ?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #32
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah, while I would definitely enjoy it, and it could definitely be amazing, the probability is virtually nil. There is simply no way to get the Fox properties back.

I think Monica Lynne did well pre-Ororo, and there is always the possibility of developing the Dora Milaje as adequate love interests.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #33
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
Why does every superhero movie need a love interest?
Because that's what movie executives think brings in female viewers and directors/produces thinks gives the hero something to fight for besides themselves, both of which have not exactly been proven correct.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #34
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Cameos from any of the Big 4 (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk or Thor) would be essential.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #35
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

I'll admit that I haven't followed the Black Panther all that much.. But who are even his villains? Iron Man fought Stane and Hammer.. Cap fought the Red Skull.. Hulk fought Abomination.. And Thor fought Loki.. Who is Panther going to fight.. Man-Ape? Who are his other Villains?? And could Marvel really sell him as a main charecter?? I can see him in more of a support role..

Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #36
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboy00 View Post
I'll admit that I haven't followed the Black Panther all that much.. But who are even his villains?
Klaw and Killmonger are probably his most popular ones besides Man-Ape.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

Ok.. I've heard of Klaw, but no clue who Killmonger is.. Do you think they could make an exciting movie with any of them as the villain

Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Ok.. I've heard of Klaw, but no clue who Killmonger is.. Do you think they could make an exciting movie with any of them as the villain
Yes. Yes, they can.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #39
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

Ok.. I just think Black Panther could be used better as like a main Co-star.. Like I heard about a possible Nick fury or SHIELD movie, Have Panther come save the day helping SHIELD.. The movie wouldn't be totally focused on him, but he would be the Big hero of the movie..

Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Ok.. I just think Black Panther could be used better as like a main Co-star.. Like I heard about a possible Nick fury or SHIELD movie, Have Panther come save the day helping SHIELD.. The movie wouldn't be totally focused on him, but he would be the Big hero of the movie..

Black Panther has had his own comic (in various runs) for many decades. He doesn't really "fit" with any other title beyond the Avengers. And his story is vast, rich and exotic, and can only be told in a full movie (or two), not in a brief exposition scene or flashback in somebody else's flick.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

Ok.. Understandable.. Like I said, I havent followed the Panther too much.. So I was juts curious a little

Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #42
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
Why does every superhero movie need a love interest?
Because it allows the storyteller to expose another side of the hero in a way that is easily accessible by the audience. Every blockbuster action movie has this for the same reason, as well as most dramas. There are ways around it, such as having a story with no women, or making the movie entirely action (thus with shallow characters), or having a sort of non-romantic love between two same sex characters. Generally, to make these good it takes more artistry than 90% of writers have. Generally, writers that are that good are working on their own artsy projects, and not on summer blockbusters and action movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Black Panther has had his own comic (in various runs) for many decades. He doesn't really "fit" with any other title beyond the Avengers. And his story is vast, rich and exotic, and can only be told in a full movie (or two), not in a brief exposition scene or flashback in somebody else's flick.
This.

Quote:
Ok.. Understandable.. Like I said, I havent followed the Panther too much.. So I was juts curious a little
You weren't just curious. You specifically and repeatedly suggested he works better as a co-star, simply because you've never read him. You can see how that would really suck for someone who is a fan of a character to hear, right?

Let's help you out then:
Reasons Black Panther is awesome:
1) He's Black. Let's admit it, it's there, and it works. Not only does that make him stand out as unique, but it also brings in all the positive stereotypes associated with black people. He is expected to be a physically capable badass, for instance. It also opens the door for some great actors who haven't gotten a shot at being a superhero before. Chiwetel Ejiofor. Djimon Honsou. Michael Jai White. Adewale Abbaje-Akinouye. Anthony Mackie. To say nothing of young up and comers like Aldis Hodge. Toyanga Chrisi. Michael B. Jordan and so on. With the supporting cast it's even worse when you talk about accomplished actors who have no danger of double dipping because they've never gotten to be in a superhero film before. Oscar winners and mess. Movie poster in the bag.
2) He's a king. This means he has his own country to run, which invites all the political storylines you might be familiar with from James Bond to Enemy of the State to Executive Decision to Air Force One. The President from Independence Day? That's what he does on a day to day basis. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter? Been there done that, since 1976. This also makes his supporting cast incredible, as it includes things like The President of the United States, his "harem" of ceremonial wives in training, the Dora Milaje, a situation/war room full of people to argue foreign policy while they have their fighter jets scrambling. International incidents. Royal court coups. Pomp and all manner of circumstance. Epic storyline in the bag.
3) He's one of the best hand to hand fighters in the world, on par with Cap, Wolvie, Elektra and the best of the best. Plus, he's got some plant-based superhuman stats. Imagine if Avengers Captain America had MCU Black Widow's fighting agility and skill. That's what Black Panther is on. He's not just peak human (and past peak human in agility) but he knows how to use it better than any other superhuman. With an artistic fighting style based partly on capoeria, his fighting is also unorthodox, which makes him hard to beat on paper, and interesting and exciting to look at on screen. Fight scenes are in the bag.
4) He's got gadgets out the wazoo. Cap's SHIELD is the kind of low-tech thing Wakandans give away to people they like. Their swords cut like lightsabers, their computers are ten years ahead of everyone else's and T'Challa's costume absorbs energy and sound to make him the stealthiest amongst the stealthy, in addition to anything else he invents. Yeah, he does that too, Reed Richards level at times. Geek out moments are in the bag.
5) He's in Africa. Which provides a lot of rich locales ala Blood Diamonds, District 9 and Last King of Scotland. Not to mention when he travels to other nations to handle business. Also, it's cheaper to shoot in Africa, if you can get the crew to go. Cinematography is in the bag.
6) He's got a fair rogue's gallery. Better than Cap or Wonder Woman's, not as good as Spider-Man or Batman's. Ulysses Klaw, his sound-manipulating origin villain tops them off, but a close second is Erik Killmonger, the homegrown mastermind that can actually take T'challa in a fistfight. M'Baka (Man-Ape) is a bit like his venom, the stronger dumber version of himself, basically, also homegrown. Add to this other sundries like the elemental trader Moses Magnum, traitorous brother Hunter, fickle Panther God Bast and all the assorted malcontents that aren't smart enough to run things, but get employed by Klaw and Killmonger from Malice (former fiance of T'Challa) to Rhino (borrowed from Spidey), to Radioactive Man and Baron Macabre. Trilogy's worth of epic climactic battles in the bag.

7) Can they make it exciting, though?

They already know how to make it exciting. They just have to decide to fit it in the schedule and hope people will actually watch instead of guessing out of the blue that he works better as a sidekick.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 07-09-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #43
Raiden
The Captain

So, do we know if Marvel will indeed make a BP movie, even if they have to push it to Phase III? I hope they're committed to this project even if it is a long-term goal for them, because we are just way overdue for a great movie featuring a black superhero. And BP is one of the best in the comicdom, regarding of ethnicity, due to his powers, origin, and ultra-cool appearance.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #44
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

BP better make phase 3.

He better, or there will be consequences.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #45
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Klaw is made up of pure sound. There is a ton they could do with that on screen. Imagine how cool it would look to see a guy like that on screen. He can move at the speed of sound, and can use sound in any fashion he desires. It could be what Sandman should have been in Spider-man 3.

Killmonger is basically T'Challa's opposite. He's a great fighter, but a deadly planner and politician. He's very self centered and cynical. If Marvel gave him a chance he'd easily be a top villain. Imagine an African Red Skull that could beat you with his mind and his fists.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #46
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

They may be looking for some spectacle with the villain and may opt for Klaw, unless they decide to bring him in alongside Killmonger.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #47
Lightning Strykez!

I just hope they stay away from themes of voodoo or other spiritistic stuff. It's so stereotypical now of films based in Africa. I want to see science and technology be the strength of Wakanda, not mysticism.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #48
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

No bones through the nose and cutting off chicken heads in this flick, Disney, y'hear?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #49
marcvader
Lurker #1

How about leopard print loin cloths?

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #50
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

And all the women have to be topless, even the ones that live in the city. Just all up in the business meetings with both of them hanging out.

Closed Thread