The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #76
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Really? When did that happen?
I saw Cap giving orders to everyone *except* Iron Man, who was off doing his own thing. I think Whedon made it perfectly clear by the end of the movie that the divide still exists between Tony and Steve, even if there's a brothers-in-arms kind of truce going on right now.
After the big 360į scene with the six Avengers in a circle, Iron Man says, "Make the call, Cap." And Cap gave Iron Man the mission of keeping the Chitauri within the perimeter that he had previously set up with the police. He also was a team player in telling Hawkeye to clench up when giving him a lift. =)

So yeah, in addition to my argument about Iron Man's arc, I think the character definitely grew in some respects from the beginning of the movie to the end (probably more so than the other characters).

That all said, I actually agree with you that the characters don't really need to undergo so much change (and definitely not aging) as the MCU progresses--once characters are established, you kind of want to have them take different journeys while maintaining what we love about the characters.


Last edited by spideymouse; 07-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
spideymouse is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #77
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!
 
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 9,379
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

SDCC live on Spike right now for the next 3 hours

__________________
Check out my mixes @ www.soundcloud.com/DJ-Kidd-Vicious

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #78
AvengeME
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 248
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
And the Indy movies/shows are also completely different because theyre not even chronological. Temple is a prequel to Raiders and the show is of course him as a kid. Maturing isnt really an option.
The point is Indiana Jones doesn't work in the 70's and later. Will we ever see a modern archeologist in the same vein? If we do, it will be a different character from a video game or something, not Indiana Jones.

So the only way you could bring Tony Stark into the far future would be science fiction or reboot. His father lived in the 40's as an adult. Stark made his contributions in modern times. The events in Avengers will probably always be referenced at some point in MCU films, so it won't be wiped out from the histroy books. I don't see Iron Man movies for the next 30-40 years. Maybe the next 5-8 years tops, with RDJ playing most if not all those films.

Eventually the character will be introduced to a new generation where the depicted technology is even closer to reality than it is today. That will be a reboot however.

AvengeME is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #79
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,941
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
The point is Indiana Jones doesn't work in the 70's and later. Will we ever see a modern archeologist in the same vein? If we do, it will be a different character from a video game or something, not Indiana Jones.

So the only way you could bring Tony Stark into the far future would be science fiction or reboot. His father lived in the 40's as an adult. Stark made his contributions in modern times. The events in Avengers will probably always be referenced at some point in MCU films, so it won't be wiped out from the histroy books. I don't see Iron Man movies for the next 30-40 years. Maybe the next 5-8 years tops, with RDJ playing most if not all those films.

Eventually the character will be introduced to a new generation where the depicted technology is even closer to reality than it is today. That will be a reboot however.
I'm sorry, but this is one of the stupidest and illogical remarks ever made against tony stark. You do realize who he is right? He's ALWAYS learning and building new tech thats beyond what the present technology of the day is. He just suddenly wouldn't stop learning and building new things... VCR's get dated and retired... Stark Industries does not.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #80
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

I'm not a fan of the idea of eventually rebooting the MCU. This isn't like Spider-Man, Batman, and even Superman, where you are rebooting a 3-4 movie franchise about one character. By the time you have this supposed MCU reboot, you will have had at least 10 movies (and perhaps up to 15 or more) worth of established continuity, established relationships between probably more than 10 heroes, and at least two pretty big crossover movie events, that you would be completely wiping out.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #81
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,941
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I'm not a fan of the idea of eventually rebooting the MCU. This isn't like Spider-Man, Batman, and even Superman, where you are rebooting a 3-4 movie franchise about one character. By the time you have this supposed MCU reboot, you will have had at least 10 movies (and perhaps up to 15 or more) worth of established continuity, established relationships between probably more than 10 heroes, and at least two pretty big crossover movie events, that you would be completely wiping out.
you don't have to worry about it.. Marvel Studios has said it wont happen

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #82
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,197
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

I see the MCU lasting some 10-20 years, in least i hope it lasts that long. And origin stories need to take a rest, or in least be more rare.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #83
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you don't have to worry about it.. Marvel Studios has said it wont happen
Thanks, I'm not worrying about it--I said that because AvengeME is pretty adamant that they'll reboot after RDJ leaves the franchise.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #84
AvengeME
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 248
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is one of the stupidest and illogical remarks ever made against tony stark. You do realize who he is right? He's ALWAYS learning and building new tech thats beyond what the present technology of the day is. He just suddenly wouldn't stop learning and building new things... VCR's get dated and retired... Stark Industries does not.
Why would Stark Industries disappear? All I am saying is that Stark will one day retire from being Iron Man. He doesn't have to stop building stuff, but he won't be flying around battling Chitauri in his later years. Don't bank on seeing grandpa Stark fighting Thanos' kids in future MCU films. The MCU will have to move on without Stark's Iron Man from that point on as long as they maintain a single continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Thanks, I'm not worrying about it--I said that because AvengeME is pretty adamant that they'll reboot after RDJ leaves the franchise.
No. Never said they would. What I think is going to happen is Iron Man 3-Avengers 2 and 3 will have larger time gaps. There will be unaccounted time to do more stories for Iron Man in between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 3 with new actors to prolong the timeline. Same continuity though. Think of the end game of Phase III ala LOTR:Return of the King. Still plenty of stories to explore if you leave the time gaps.


Last edited by AvengeME; 07-13-2012 at 11:46 PM.
AvengeME is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #85
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 39,201
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
He also learned to make the sacrifice play, to lay himself on the wire and let the other guy step over him, to be a real hero and not just fight for himself. Tony's was the biggest character arc in The Avengers.
100% disagree. Banner's was equally as strong as Tony's. Same with Cap's. the 3 of them see the most growth in the film, but I disagree on Stark having THE biggest.

Spider-Fan is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #86
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
Why would Stark Industries disappear? All I am saying is that Stark will one day retire from being Iron Man. He doesn't have to stop building stuff, but he won't be flying around battling Chitauri in his later years. Don't bank on seeing grandpa Stark fighting Thanos' kids in future MCU films. The MCU will have to move on without Stark's Iron Man from that point on as long as they maintain a single continuity.



No. Never said they would. What I think is going to happen is Iron Man 3-Avengers 2 and 3 will have larger time gaps. There will be unaccounted time to do more stories for Iron Man in between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 3 with new actors to prolong the timeline. Same continuity though. Think of the end game of Phase III ala LOTR:Return of the King. Still plenty of stories to explore if you leave the time gaps.
So....you're agreeing that there *will* be recasts, even of RDJ? If so, then why on earth would you think Iron Man would need to "retire," or that ANY of the MCU films are set to a finite schedule and moving towards a definite ending date in the near future? If you agree that fans won't revolt with a Tony Stark recast, then you've also got to accept that the recast can certainly "immortalize" the character....i.e., he's not gonna age in real time.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #87
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!
 
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 9,379
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

The panel is today so hopefully we get tons of phase II news. I'm friggin stoked

__________________
Check out my mixes @ www.soundcloud.com/DJ-Kidd-Vicious

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #88
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,494
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

I'm hoping we get a conformation of a movie for Black Panther, Ant-Man & Wasp, The Guardians of The Galaxy and another Hulk movie with Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk.

The Caped Knight is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #89
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
100% disagree. Banner's was equally as strong as Tony's. Same with Cap's. the 3 of them see the most growth in the film, but I disagree on Stark having THE biggest.
Disagree. Tony went from completely self centered to self sacrificing. No one made that big a turnaround, certainly not Cap. Banner already had an understanding with the Hulk before he embraced him, and even directed him in TIH.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #90
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 39,607
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Tony was the only one with an arc.
Everyone else was the same going into the film as they exited

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #91
AvengeME
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 248
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
So....you're agreeing that there *will* be recasts, even of RDJ? If so, then why on earth would you think Iron Man would need to "retire," or that ANY of the MCU films are set to a finite schedule and moving towards a definite ending date in the near future? If you agree that fans won't revolt with a Tony Stark recast, then you've also got to accept that the recast can certainly "immortalize" the character....i.e., he's not gonna age in real time.
It's just one possibility. And I wouldn't have an issue with them telling more stories about Iron Man as long as it fits the established story/continuity. We have to see what Iron Man 3 leaves us with.

But by coining these intervals PI, PII, PIII, I do see and end game here and I see this being a trilogy. Not my ideal way of doing things, but that appears to be what they are going for. It will be a conclusion to this set of Avengers. I won't rule out a fourth movie with the core roster because Evans/Hemsworth are still young and signed for 5-6 movies. I think they will do whatever they can to get RDJ back for one or two more ensembles but they won't recast until much later.

I see Avengers 2/3 sort of the swan song for Iron Man for quite some time. Keep in mind that is potentially three more films so it's not like audiences haven't had their share. But we could see Iron Man movies taking place in between that time, or much later in the timeline as an adviser (unlikely), or by preserving his youth through nanotechnology (but that devalues the character).

AvengeME is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #92
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 39,607
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

30 minutes

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #93
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick
 
TikkiEXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 868
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Captain America 2: Winter Soldier!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

TikkiEXX is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #94
Sebastos
Bebop User
 
Sebastos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Terre
Posts: 19,772
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

And Thor 2: The Dark World...

__________________
Sic Parvis Magna

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #95
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

and Guardians of the Galaxy!!! and Ant-Man!!!

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #96
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe
 
kaijunexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,497
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

The news from this panel is melting my brain!!!!

Winter Soldier in CA2!!!

__________________
kaijunexus is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #97
Sebastos
Bebop User
 
Sebastos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Terre
Posts: 19,772
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Guardians of the Galaxy concept art:


__________________
Sic Parvis Magna

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #98
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy concept art:

Awesomesauce!!!

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #99
Boom
I got nothin'
 
Boom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sitting on the nitpicket fence
Posts: 32,471
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Okay. Rocket Raccoon looks ****ing boss.

__________________
Everything in this post is my fault.
Boom is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #100
Sebastos
Bebop User
 
Sebastos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Terre
Posts: 19,772
Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Okay. Rocket Raccoon looks ****ing boss.

__________________
Sic Parvis Magna

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.