Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #76
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU: Phase II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Really? When did that happen?
I saw Cap giving orders to everyone *except* Iron Man, who was off doing his own thing. I think Whedon made it perfectly clear by the end of the movie that the divide still exists between Tony and Steve, even if there's a brothers-in-arms kind of truce going on right now.
After the big 360į scene with the six Avengers in a circle, Iron Man says, "Make the call, Cap." And Cap gave Iron Man the mission of keeping the Chitauri within the perimeter that he had previously set up with the police. He also was a team player in telling Hawkeye to clench up when giving him a lift. =)

So yeah, in addition to my argument about Iron Man's arc, I think the character definitely grew in some respects from the beginning of the movie to the end (probably more so than the other characters).

That all said, I actually agree with you that the characters don't really need to undergo so much change (and definitely not aging) as the MCU progresses--once characters are established, you kind of want to have them take different journeys while maintaining what we love about the characters.

Last edited by spideymouse; 07-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #77
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

SDCC live on Spike right now for the next 3 hours

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #78
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
And the Indy movies/shows are also completely different because theyre not even chronological. Temple is a prequel to Raiders and the show is of course him as a kid. Maturing isnt really an option.
The point is Indiana Jones doesn't work in the 70's and later. Will we ever see a modern archeologist in the same vein? If we do, it will be a different character from a video game or something, not Indiana Jones.

So the only way you could bring Tony Stark into the far future would be science fiction or reboot. His father lived in the 40's as an adult. Stark made his contributions in modern times. The events in Avengers will probably always be referenced at some point in MCU films, so it won't be wiped out from the histroy books. I don't see Iron Man movies for the next 30-40 years. Maybe the next 5-8 years tops, with RDJ playing most if not all those films.

Eventually the character will be introduced to a new generation where the depicted technology is even closer to reality than it is today. That will be a reboot however.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #79
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
The point is Indiana Jones doesn't work in the 70's and later. Will we ever see a modern archeologist in the same vein? If we do, it will be a different character from a video game or something, not Indiana Jones.

So the only way you could bring Tony Stark into the far future would be science fiction or reboot. His father lived in the 40's as an adult. Stark made his contributions in modern times. The events in Avengers will probably always be referenced at some point in MCU films, so it won't be wiped out from the histroy books. I don't see Iron Man movies for the next 30-40 years. Maybe the next 5-8 years tops, with RDJ playing most if not all those films.

Eventually the character will be introduced to a new generation where the depicted technology is even closer to reality than it is today. That will be a reboot however.
I'm sorry, but this is one of the stupidest and illogical remarks ever made against tony stark. You do realize who he is right? He's ALWAYS learning and building new tech thats beyond what the present technology of the day is. He just suddenly wouldn't stop learning and building new things... VCR's get dated and retired... Stark Industries does not.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #80
spideymouse
Side-Kick

I'm not a fan of the idea of eventually rebooting the MCU. This isn't like Spider-Man, Batman, and even Superman, where you are rebooting a 3-4 movie franchise about one character. By the time you have this supposed MCU reboot, you will have had at least 10 movies (and perhaps up to 15 or more) worth of established continuity, established relationships between probably more than 10 heroes, and at least two pretty big crossover movie events, that you would be completely wiping out.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #81
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I'm not a fan of the idea of eventually rebooting the MCU. This isn't like Spider-Man, Batman, and even Superman, where you are rebooting a 3-4 movie franchise about one character. By the time you have this supposed MCU reboot, you will have had at least 10 movies (and perhaps up to 15 or more) worth of established continuity, established relationships between probably more than 10 heroes, and at least two pretty big crossover movie events, that you would be completely wiping out.
you don't have to worry about it.. Marvel Studios has said it wont happen

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #82
Lord
All Mighty

I see the MCU lasting some 10-20 years, in least i hope it lasts that long. And origin stories need to take a rest, or in least be more rare.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #83
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you don't have to worry about it.. Marvel Studios has said it wont happen
Thanks, I'm not worrying about it--I said that because AvengeME is pretty adamant that they'll reboot after RDJ leaves the franchise.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #84
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is one of the stupidest and illogical remarks ever made against tony stark. You do realize who he is right? He's ALWAYS learning and building new tech thats beyond what the present technology of the day is. He just suddenly wouldn't stop learning and building new things... VCR's get dated and retired... Stark Industries does not.
Why would Stark Industries disappear? All I am saying is that Stark will one day retire from being Iron Man. He doesn't have to stop building stuff, but he won't be flying around battling Chitauri in his later years. Don't bank on seeing grandpa Stark fighting Thanos' kids in future MCU films. The MCU will have to move on without Stark's Iron Man from that point on as long as they maintain a single continuity.

Quote:
Thanks, I'm not worrying about it--I said that because AvengeME is pretty adamant that they'll reboot after RDJ leaves the franchise.
No. Never said they would. What I think is going to happen is Iron Man 3-Avengers 2 and 3 will have larger time gaps. There will be unaccounted time to do more stories for Iron Man in between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 3 with new actors to prolong the timeline. Same continuity though. Think of the end game of Phase III ala LOTR:Return of the King. Still plenty of stories to explore if you leave the time gaps.

Last edited by AvengeME; 07-13-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #85
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
He also learned to make the sacrifice play, to lay himself on the wire and let the other guy step over him, to be a real hero and not just fight for himself. Tony's was the biggest character arc in The Avengers.
100% disagree. Banner's was equally as strong as Tony's. Same with Cap's. the 3 of them see the most growth in the film, but I disagree on Stark having THE biggest.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #86
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
Why would Stark Industries disappear? All I am saying is that Stark will one day retire from being Iron Man. He doesn't have to stop building stuff, but he won't be flying around battling Chitauri in his later years. Don't bank on seeing grandpa Stark fighting Thanos' kids in future MCU films. The MCU will have to move on without Stark's Iron Man from that point on as long as they maintain a single continuity.

No. Never said they would. What I think is going to happen is Iron Man 3-Avengers 2 and 3 will have larger time gaps. There will be unaccounted time to do more stories for Iron Man in between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 3 with new actors to prolong the timeline. Same continuity though. Think of the end game of Phase III ala LOTR:Return of the King. Still plenty of stories to explore if you leave the time gaps.
So....you're agreeing that there *will* be recasts, even of RDJ? If so, then why on earth would you think Iron Man would need to "retire," or that ANY of the MCU films are set to a finite schedule and moving towards a definite ending date in the near future? If you agree that fans won't revolt with a Tony Stark recast, then you've also got to accept that the recast can certainly "immortalize" the character....i.e., he's not gonna age in real time.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #87
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

The panel is today so hopefully we get tons of phase II news. I'm friggin stoked

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #88
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I'm hoping we get a conformation of a movie for Black Panther, Ant-Man & Wasp, The Guardians of The Galaxy and another Hulk movie with Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #89
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
100% disagree. Banner's was equally as strong as Tony's. Same with Cap's. the 3 of them see the most growth in the film, but I disagree on Stark having THE biggest.
Disagree. Tony went from completely self centered to self sacrificing. No one made that big a turnaround, certainly not Cap. Banner already had an understanding with the Hulk before he embraced him, and even directed him in TIH.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #90
roach
I am the night

Tony was the only one with an arc.
Everyone else was the same going into the film as they exited

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #91
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
So....you're agreeing that there *will* be recasts, even of RDJ? If so, then why on earth would you think Iron Man would need to "retire," or that ANY of the MCU films are set to a finite schedule and moving towards a definite ending date in the near future? If you agree that fans won't revolt with a Tony Stark recast, then you've also got to accept that the recast can certainly "immortalize" the character....i.e., he's not gonna age in real time.
It's just one possibility. And I wouldn't have an issue with them telling more stories about Iron Man as long as it fits the established story/continuity. We have to see what Iron Man 3 leaves us with.

But by coining these intervals PI, PII, PIII, I do see and end game here and I see this being a trilogy. Not my ideal way of doing things, but that appears to be what they are going for. It will be a conclusion to this set of Avengers. I won't rule out a fourth movie with the core roster because Evans/Hemsworth are still young and signed for 5-6 movies. I think they will do whatever they can to get RDJ back for one or two more ensembles but they won't recast until much later.

I see Avengers 2/3 sort of the swan song for Iron Man for quite some time. Keep in mind that is potentially three more films so it's not like audiences haven't had their share. But we could see Iron Man movies taking place in between that time, or much later in the timeline as an adviser (unlikely), or by preserving his youth through nanotechnology (but that devalues the character).

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #92
roach
I am the night

30 minutes

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #93
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

Captain America 2: Winter Soldier!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #94
Sebastos
Bebop User

And Thor 2: The Dark World...

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #95
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

and Guardians of the Galaxy!!! and Ant-Man!!!

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #96
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

The news from this panel is melting my brain!!!!

Winter Soldier in CA2!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #97
Sebastos
Bebop User

Guardians of the Galaxy concept art:

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #98
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy concept art:

Awesomesauce!!!

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #99
Boom
I got nothin'

Okay. Rocket Raccoon looks ****ing boss.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #100
Sebastos
Bebop User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Okay. Rocket Raccoon looks ****ing boss.

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Closed Thread