The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #101
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Oh wow, Bale's wife is really pretty.
Indeed she is; heck he's been known to have called her his personal "wonder woman" back when he had received a MTV movie award for his performance as Batman in BB back in 06.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #102
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed she is; heck he's been known to have called her his personal "wonder woman" back when he had received a MTV movie award for his performance as Batman in BB back in 06.
Wonder Woman confirmed. JLA movie confirmed.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #103
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Bale looked really relaxed during the premiere.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #104
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

yeah he seems to have that Bruce Wayne calmness in him these days. Though from that shot of him in the suit, i dunno, he buttons it too tight right? That seems a bit uncomfortable, he isn't rocking the vest-look as much as JGL imo. But yeah, an early 20th-century dress up would've looked great in these films, I recall Maggie Gyllenhaal sporting something evocative of that period in some of her shots with Eckhart. And of course, Anne Anne Anne!

Looking forward to that masque scene. My brother was complaining how in that clip in "The Bat" Bale faking the cane is too obvious. I never noticed that, but maybe i'm too partial to this to notice any shortcoming, lol.

That cane really leaves a strong visual mark, and yes, for some reason, reminds me of the Gilded age.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #105
kvz5
HBIC

I still expect Anne and Tom to get the most praise when it's all said and done because of the nature of their roles but I'm extremely happy that Bale is getting more recognition this time around for his work in TDKR (compared to during TDK).

Here's a nice summary of the critics' reviews that I found at another site (putting them in spoiler tags just in case):

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"As both Batman and Bruce Wayne, Christian Bale’s work here is master-class, and he gives the character such an inescapable melancholy – a certain perseverance in the face of absolute resignation to his fate – that he becomes a more tragic figure than ever." (Indiewire)

"Needing to portray both his characters as vulnerable, even perishable, Bale is at his series best in this film. At times in the past his voice seemed too artificially deepened and transformed; there's a bit of that here, but far less, and, as Bruce becomes impoverished and Batman incapacitated, the actor's nuances increase." (The Hollywood Reporter)

"The final chapter in the Dark Knight saga allows Bale to move deeply into Bruce/Batman's troubled soul. Bale, up to every challenge in a tough role, gives a hypnotic, haunting performance." (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

"Bale gives his finest performance yet in the role. With these three Batman films, he has brought to life the most fully-formed, multi-faceted screen superhero yet." (IGN)

"Bale, a boyish 30 when he first slipped into the cape and cowl back in 2004, has matured impressively in the role. For the first half of TDKR he is a gaunt, haunted wraith, so weary of life that he might have joined his beloved Rachel in the grave. By the end, the actor has given everything, left every nuance and agony on the table for his big finish." (Time Magazine)

"Bale has never explored the depths of the character Wayne/ Batman as he does within this film. He is simply superb. Can anyone ever question him as the best portrayer of the character again? This is a tortured man, beaten down by who he is, but what he has become, by what he feels guilty for. Bale is extraordinary in the part and about the voice…it works." (Awards Circuit)

"It’s testament to Christian Bale’s stalwart, admirably unshowy but soulful performance that we once again feel for a man born to privilege but eternally trapped in a personal prison." (Empire)

"Bale's performance here is miles different than his work in either of the other films. In "Batman Begins," there is a boyish inexperience, and I like the material where he's figuring out this new identity for himself. Even though "The Dark Knight" is very dark at times, there's an exuberance to Bruce as he comes into his own, and he seems driven, pleased to have found a purpose. In this film, a sorrow has settled onto him, and even when he is suited up and in action, he barely seems like a shadow of the man he used to be. He's rotting from the inside, knowing full well what his actions have cost the people around him. He is dying because of the loss of Rachel in "The Dark Knight," and he doesn't seem to know how he can heal at all. The end of the first film, when Rachel confronts him about his identity, offers Bruce his one way out of things, and much of "The Dark Knight" deals with his struggle to take that escape route and what happens when it's taken from him forever. In this new film, he has no more hope, no more heart, and it makes him just as dangerous as Bane, but to himself more than anyone else." (Hitfix)

"In a more gratifying development, the film reasserts the primacy of its title character and the general excellence of Bale's performance, forcing Wayne to reckon once and for all with the alter ego he's fashioned for himself and Gotham in the name of justice." (Variety)

"Bale has more to carry than in TDK, reminding how terrific he was in Batman Begins." (MovieCity News)

"As any Director of Photography knows, Christian Bale can do bluster like no other. But he also captures well the fragility of a hero who opens the film walking with a cane and has no cartilage left in either his knees or shoulders. Bale also manages the difficult task of making billionaire orphan Wayne likeable - when his privileged upbringing is questioned, he deadpans the line, "Actually I was born in the regency room". " (GQ Magazine)

"The unifying strength of these Batman films has been Nolan’s seriousness in treating Batman as a complex figure, and Bale has been incredibly effective at personalizing an iconic superhero, giving him all the gravitas required. For all the fine actors who have populated this trilogy, it’s important to remember how crucial Bale’s contribution has been as the films’ emotional centre. " (Screen Daily)

"And Christian Bale? Never more vulnerable, likeable or willing to get his gloves dirty, pushing to new emotional depths for his final Gotham go-around." (Total Film)

"There is plenty to admire in Bale's saturnine performance." (The Independent)

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #106
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I still expect Anne and Tom to get the most praise when it's all said and done because of the nature of their roles but I'm extremely happy that Bale is getting more recognition this time around for his work in TDKR (compared to during TDK).

Here's a nice summary of the critics' reviews that I found at another site (putting them in spoiler tags just in case):

"As both Batman and Bruce Wayne, Christian Bale’s work here is master-class, and he gives the character such an inescapable melancholy – a certain perseverance in the face of absolute resignation to his fate – that he becomes a more tragic figure than ever." (Indiewire)

"Needing to portray both his characters as vulnerable, even perishable, Bale is at his series best in this film. At times in the past his voice seemed too artificially deepened and transformed; there's a bit of that here, but far less, and, as Bruce becomes impoverished and Batman incapacitated, the actor's nuances increase." (The Hollywood Reporter)

"The final chapter in the Dark Knight saga allows Bale to move deeply into Bruce/Batman's troubled soul. Bale, up to every challenge in a tough role, gives a hypnotic, haunting performance." (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

"Bale gives his finest performance yet in the role. With these three Batman films, he has brought to life the most fully-formed, multi-faceted screen superhero yet." (IGN)

"Bale, a boyish 30 when he first slipped into the cape and cowl back in 2004, has matured impressively in the role. For the first half of TDKR he is a gaunt, haunted wraith, so weary of life that he might have joined his beloved Rachel in the grave. By the end, the actor has given everything, left every nuance and agony on the table for his big finish." (Time Magazine)

"Bale has never explored the depths of the character Wayne/ Batman as he does within this film. He is simply superb. Can anyone ever question him as the best portrayer of the character again? This is a tortured man, beaten down by who he is, but what he has become, by what he feels guilty for. Bale is extraordinary in the part and about the voice…it works." (Awards Circuit)

"It’s testament to Christian Bale’s stalwart, admirably unshowy but soulful performance that we once again feel for a man born to privilege but eternally trapped in a personal prison." (Empire)

"Bale's performance here is miles different than his work in either of the other films. In "Batman Begins," there is a boyish inexperience, and I like the material where he's figuring out this new identity for himself. Even though "The Dark Knight" is very dark at times, there's an exuberance to Bruce as he comes into his own, and he seems driven, pleased to have found a purpose. In this film, a sorrow has settled onto him, and even when he is suited up and in action, he barely seems like a shadow of the man he used to be. He's rotting from the inside, knowing full well what his actions have cost the people around him. He is dying because of the loss of Rachel in "The Dark Knight," and he doesn't seem to know how he can heal at all. The end of the first film, when Rachel confronts him about his identity, offers Bruce his one way out of things, and much of "The Dark Knight" deals with his struggle to take that escape route and what happens when it's taken from him forever. In this new film, he has no more hope, no more heart, and it makes him just as dangerous as Bane, but to himself more than anyone else." (Hitfix)

"In a more gratifying development, the film reasserts the primacy of its title character and the general excellence of Bale's performance, forcing Wayne to reckon once and for all with the alter ego he's fashioned for himself and Gotham in the name of justice." (Variety)

"Bale has more to carry than in TDK, reminding how terrific he was in Batman Begins." (MovieCity News)

"As any Director of Photography knows, Christian Bale can do bluster like no other. But he also captures well the fragility of a hero who opens the film walking with a cane and has no cartilage left in either his knees or shoulders. Bale also manages the difficult task of making billionaire orphan Wayne likeable - when his privileged upbringing is questioned, he deadpans the line, "Actually I was born in the regency room". " (GQ Magazine)

"The unifying strength of these Batman films has been Nolan’s seriousness in treating Batman as a complex figure, and Bale has been incredibly effective at personalizing an iconic superhero, giving him all the gravitas required. For all the fine actors who have populated this trilogy, it’s important to remember how crucial Bale’s contribution has been as the films’ emotional centre. " (Screen Daily)

"And Christian Bale? Never more vulnerable, likeable or willing to get his gloves dirty, pushing to new emotional depths for his final Gotham go-around." (Total Film)

Skimmed through that quickly, and I loved what I read. So glad Bale is getting his due. Thanks for that!

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #107
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:

Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #108
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:

Bale, dammit!

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #109
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Skimmed through that quickly, and I loved what I read. So glad Bale is getting his due. Thanks for that!
Yeah, it's nice to see the Batman himself get praise. Bale's got a lot to work with thematically (can't wait to see his bearded, depressed side)

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #110
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Yeah, it's nice to see the Batman himself get praise. Bale's got a lot to work with thematically (can't wait to see his bearded, depressed side)
Yeah, recluse Bruce all the way. I will miss the playboy facade a lot, but I'm glad that he will be more "real Bruce" when he's in the public eye, and even more philanthropic. It will serve his arc very, very well.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #111
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Wow this official The Dark Knight Trilogy Trailer is AWESOME
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://youtu.be/1T__uN5xmC0

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #112
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Wow this official The Dark Knight Trilogy Trailer is AWESOME
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://youtu.be/1T__uN5xmC0
I got chills just watching that. It's amazing to see Bruce grow throughout these 3 movies. He is going to go through so much hell in TDKR.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #113
kvz5
HBIC

I don't want to clog this thread yet with bajillion spoiler tags but I do have just this one question for those that have seen it:

(don't read if you haven't seen it yet)

Did the movie end with the Wayne name/legacy on good standing? From what I read/heard, no one (with the exception of few) knew that Bruce is Batman so it's not like Gotham knew about his sacrifices. Most thought/assumed that he just died from the attacks/raids on the rich. So did he die with people still thinking that he was this crazy, hermit (who did return back to normal) that ended up being penniless and that was it? Is the only thing he left Gotham to remember the Wayne name by the Wayne manor?

Bruce leaving a mark on the Wayne legacy is something I consider to be very important so I'm curious on this one.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #114
kvz5
HBIC

Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #115
stefan850
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't want to clog this thread yet with bajillion spoiler tags but I do have just this one question for those that have seen it:

Did the movie end with the Wayne name/legacy on good standing? From what I read/heard, no one (with the exception of few) knew that Bruce is Batman so it's not like Gotham knew about his sacrifices. Most thought/assumed that he just died from the attacks/raids on the rich. So did he die with people still thinking that he was this crazy, hermit (who did return back to normal) that ended up being penniless and that was it? Is the only thing he left Gotham to remember the Wayne name by the Wayne manor?

Bruce leaving a mark on the Wayne legacy is something I consider to be very important so I'm curious on this one.

No one but a chosen few know what Bruce Wayne did, so yeah most of Gotham will believe that he died as a broke, ex billionaire weirdo...nothing about it is shown in the movie...although he did leave his House etc to become a how do you call it? Centre for children without parents...orphanage? And it's called Thomas and Martha Wayne house for ...children, something like that...that was in Bruce's will...So I guess might be remembered in positive light by that...

stefan850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #116
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:

Gordon effectively realised that Bruce was Batman just as he took off in The Bat. Well before that, Bruce is removed from the board - to which Fox even agrees, goes back to Wayne Manor, has a funky time with Tate and while doing so the power is cut off. Bruce goes out to take on Bane (he arranged with Selina, he said he knew Batman and he wanted her to lead him to Bane, and they do so - cue the "don't be shy" scene. Bruce gets smashed in combat, sent overseas and after returning from the pit, meets Selina out on the street and later they meet up as Batman/Catwoman where he gives the batpod to her. She was going to do the job and ride out of town, but Batman says there's more to her than that, she says she's sorry to keep letting him down. Bruce isn't seen in public again, only as Batman. It's a bit vague, I really need to see it again, but I think pretty much Wayne's will was used with a positive impact

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #117
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan850 View Post
No one but a chosen few know what Bruce Wayne did, so yeah most of Gotham will believe that he died as a broke, ex billionaire weirdo...nothing about it is shown in the movie...although he did leave his House etc to become a how do you call it? Centre for children without parents...orphanage? And it's called Thomas and Martha Wayne house for ...children, something like that...that was in Bruce's will...So I guess might be remembered in positive light by that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Gordon effectively realised that Bruce was Batman just as he took off in The Bat. Well before that, Bruce is removed from the board - to which Fox even agrees, goes back to Wayne Manor, has a funky time with Tate and while doing so the power is cut off. Bruce goes out to take on Bane (he arranged with Selina, he said he knew Batman and he wanted her to lead him to Bane, and they do so - cue the "don't be shy" scene. Bruce gets smashed in combat, sent overseas and after returning from the pit, meets Selina out on the street and later they meet up as Batman/Catwoman where he gives the batpod to her. She was going to do the job and ride out of town, but Batman says there's more to her than that, she says she's sorry to keep letting him down. Bruce isn't seen in public again. It's a bit vague, I really need to see it again, but I think pretty much Wayne's will was used with a positive impact
Thanks guys.

I'm a bit disappointed that the philanthropic side of Bruce and continuing on the legacy of the Waynes were underplayed again since those were lacking in BB and TDK. It's just a shame that Gotham will remember him as that "playboy turned crazy billionaire that went broke" and that was the last Wayne that they will remember. But at least him giving the Wayne Manor and turning it as an orphanage will hopefully make a lasting impact to Gotham.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #118
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Interesting that
Gordon emphasised that the hero was The Batman - the legend they erect in the form of a statue

Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #119
kvz5
HBIC

No need to be specific, I just want a yes or no, were there more Bruce (not Batman)/Selina (not Catwoman) scenes besides the ones that we've seen from the trailers, reports and set pics (the crossbow/maid scene, apple scene, masked ball scene)?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #120
stefan850
Side-Kick

Quote:
No need to be specific, I just want a yes or no, were there more Bruce (not Batman)/Selina (not Catwoman) scenes besides the ones that we've seen from the trailers, reports and set pics (the crossbow/maid scene, apple scene, masked ball scene)?

Yes

stefan850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #121
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan850 View Post
Yes
Oh, that's good news to me! Thank you.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #122
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Bale is so good in those early scenes. I loved him throughout. He is my Batman.

He's so great, he gets a statue.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #123
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Bale was awesome in TDKR. My only gripe is this:

He never gave Bane the badass beatdown that Bane deserved.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #124
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Bale was awesome in TDKR. My only gripe is this:

He never gave Bane the badass beatdown that Bane deserved.
I agree with that. I wanted Batman to
completely dominate Bane - return to the City in a big way. He does get Bane down but soon after (due to Talia, but even still) Bane's back on his feet and in charge again.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #125
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Yeah, it kinda bothered me, too.

Yeah, he "beats" Bane at the city hall fight, but only by virtue of exploiting Bane's weakness. Fact is, if Bane didn't need the mask, Batman never could have beat him.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote