The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #176
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Single biggest problem with the show its artificial retardation of Clark Kent. He had natural progression in the beginning, with his powers growing, gaining a new one each season, getting more powerful etc. But around season 5 all that comes to a stop and his character lacks any real development and growth (other than the death of his father), he becomes stagnant.

The whole rule of no flights and no tights makes sense only if it's applied across the board to all the characters. It became increasingly transparent and contrived as we saw characters in full costume and flying, with clark aware that he has the power to fly but for some silly reason he can't. We have multiple episode in which he "kind of flies" but can't. How much more artificial can you get. If you didn't want him to fly fine, but don't make everyone fly around him.

You don't ever want to show him in full costume even in the finale, fine, but then I sure as heck didn't need to see Green arrow for 4 seasons, or Booster Gold or the Justice Society. Why have a rule that only serves to hold back your main character but doesn't apply to anyone else. It was arbitrary rules like this and their application that ruined much of the show for me.

It felt like if you removed all the filler episodes and focused in on essential plots you could probably reduce smallville from 10 seasons to like 6 and have a much tighter/cohesive series. What was the point of dragging it on with virtually no growth for clark. Seasons 5-7 particularly. It was hard to stomach. Season 9 was good in my opinion but season 10 while it had great character stuff with Lois and Clark, the whole Darkseid plot was one of the worse offenders of "build up all season with little to no pay off at the end". And pretty the key to beating pure evil was to fly thru it?!! Couldn't Kara have done that sooner and saved us a whole lot of melodrama?
I gotta agree with you here.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #177
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Single biggest problem with the show its artificial retardation of Clark Kent. He had natural progression in the beginning, with his powers growing, gaining a new one each season, getting more powerful etc. But around season 5 all that comes to a stop and his character lacks any real development and growth (other than the death of his father), he becomes stagnant.
In all reality they should just have had all the characters go to(and stay in) College in Season 5, you don't even have to make any plots centered around College(like we hardly got any HS based plots in early seasons). If that was the case at least it would seem like Clark was doing something if we got the odd mention of College every 4-5 episodes. Chloe could have easily did her hacking in a College journalism room instead of placing her at the DP.

I think the problem was the producers didn't think it would last so long so they just felt like College was bothersome and they might as well ignore it completely. By time you get to S6 + 7 Clark doing absolutely nothing with his life really hurt his character(whereas if he mentioned college every 5th episode you can say well at least he is in college)

Another more drastic thing the show should have done was a cast overhaul in S5. I personally would have loved this but I am guessing the producers felt that the show couldn't survive without Lana or Chloe. It would also be a case if you think the show might only last 1-2 seasons more is it really worth it to introduce new characters by the point. All that being said a cast overhaul in S5 would give Clark new people to deal with and freshen up things, which i think would have helped alot when you looking at 4+ more seasons

I think in general the big problem for the show is it never really planned out long term, it just took things season by season, hell sometimes episode by episode, which wasn't a big deal in early seasons but come later seasons it showed that the show had no bigger direction making the character look stagnant

Last edited by SV Fan; 05-09-2012 at 04:22 AM.
SV Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #178
Jordacar
The Endless One

Speaking of the best, Captain Logan just posted his latest "Counting Kryptofreaks" review of the first season finale "Tempest".
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #179
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Totally the blocking progression stuff where bad. If they really didn't want flight and all that. I agree they never should have hinted at it so dam early. They was plently of things they could have done in the middle season to progress clark while still slowing things down so it wouldn't been superman then.

Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #180
Rockstar
Banned User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rba-3...ure=plpp_video

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #181
harryden
New User - Level 0

Matrix done a very bad act in season 10 which i don't like it....So it's too bad for meeeee....

Watch Survivor Online without any downloading...

harryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #182
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Clark's retardation, Clark can't fly but everyone else can.Lois in seasons 5-7, she shouldn't have been there AT ALL!
Also the Princess Lana effect that all the characters and writers had.
Also the second worst thing after Clark's lack of intelligence is how the relationship between Lois and Clark was portrayed. According to Smallville Lois is his second choice because they refused to end CLana! Also Lois herself comes off as a bimbo airhead who dates anyone and everyone.

Last edited by Szetsilya; 07-16-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #183
Johnny
Side-Kick

^^ Go. Blow. Yourself.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #184
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Clark's retardation, Clark can't fly but everyone else can.Lois in seasons 5-7, she shouldn't have been there AT ALL!
Also the Princess Lana effect that all the characters and writers had.
Also the second worst thing after Clark's lack of intelligence is how the relationship between Lois and Clark was portrayed. According to Smallville Lois is his second choice because they refused to end CLana! Also Lois herself comes off as a bimbo airhead who dates anyone and everyone.
Smallville Lois basically was the same Lois from the comics, TV shows and cartoons with just a few minor differences. Her being a bimbo is a huge exaggeration.Clark was displayed as intelligent from 1-4 and 8-10. And Lois has met Clark in the comics before he became Superman so Lois not suppose to be there is kind of invalid excuse.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #185
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I don't consider lois a second choice. His relationship develop and grew over the years. And she was his true romance. Where as lana was just a puppy love. I do agree seasons 5-7 they did dumb down clark to much. But rectified that from 8 and on.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #186
Rockstar
Banned User

Season 8 definitely portrayed Lois as the second choice.

But seriously... who cares

This was one of the biggest problems of Smallville, it wasted too much focus on Clark's love life, at the expense of everything else.

When you have male fans arguing over shipping, you know the show did something wrong.

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #187
chumchees
Side-Kick

I think Lois is portrayed as stupid. She is hardy ever part of the main storyline. She gets knock out a lot, and many times it is not necessary. She did pretty much nothing season 4-5. Season 6-7 was better, but still just there for B storylines. Season 8 she is only focused on for the Clark/Lois relationship. She was portrayed a lot better in season 9, but still hardly part on the main storyline. Ditto for season 10. Her reporting career was not handled great, but still a million times better than Clarks. But despite everything, she was one of the better parts of this show, and millions times better than Chloe or Lana.

chumchees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #188
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

the whole stuff of lois not doing much you have to remember when they first got the rights to use her in season 4. They were blocked from doing certain things like her reporting and dating clark. And if you want to get all *****y at any one who was knocked out in the show almost every single person was knocked out way to many times in the series.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #189
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Season 8 definitely portrayed Lois as the second choice.

But seriously... who cares

This was one of the biggest problems of Smallville, it wasted too much focus on Clark's love life, at the expense of everything else.

When you have male fans arguing over shipping, you know the show did something wrong.
U sure they're arguing about the ships and not about which chick is hotter? I of course hated the obsession with Clark's love life but a part from that they downplayed him to build up other comic characters, mostly Oliver.
And I don't care if they couldnt do certain things with the character, I would prefer no Lois rather than a bimbo airhead Lois with little intelligence and whose only purpose is to date any many she encounters. Which is why I said Lois should have left in S4 and not come back til S8 when the writers were ready to treat the character with respect.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 07-20-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #190
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
U sure they're arguing about the ships and not about which chick is hotter? I of course hated the obsession with Clark's love life but a part from that they downplayed him to build up other comic characters, mostly Oliver.
And I don't care if they couldnt do certain things with the character, I would prefer no Lois rather than a bimbo airhead Lois with little intelligence and whose only purpose is to date any many she encounters. Which is why I said Lois should have left in S4 and not come back til S8 when the writers were ready to treat the character with respect.
smallville was a drama/started off as a teen drama of course Clark's love life was going to be made important. Lois was basically the same Lois in Superman the animated series, comics, movies and Lois and Clark series only younger and more adult(in terms of nature. Lois in Superman TAS dated Batman, Lex Luthor, etc and Lois in Lois and Clark dated Daily Planet reporters(one was part of the reason she became a reporter like Smallville Lois)before she met Clark, Lex Luthor, etc. And when she needed to used whatever she could to get a story. Sure Lois dated Aquaman(who she admitted later it was only for a day), Green Arrow and Grant who besides Clark were her most important relationship. Every thing else I could remember being traits in the comics(army brat, smoker, calling Clark "Smallville", always trying to find the truth, distrust of LexCorp and Lex Luthor, etc). I personally like some of the ways they did Lois becoming a journalist and how Clark and Lois ended up together but I guess everyone's tastes are different.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #191
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

The basics of Lois were there but the other aspects they added were bad. A girl who couldnt finish highschool then drops out of college, dates every man and superhero who crosses her orbit, beer guzzling, likes monster trucks and mechanical bulls; they couldn't do more to de-class this version of Lois if they tried. And that's not adding in the lobotomy they gave her in season 10 to turn her into Susie Homemaker/Superbride.
Sorry there were some things I liked about Smallville's Lois, some things I tolerated and some things I hated. I'm very into the character of Lois Lane and I admit I can be hard to please when it comes to portraying her.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #192
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Sze like I said days ago reasons why character was written as she and otherrs was. Was due to all the blocking from wb/dc comics on what characters we got to use and what stuff we could do with them. Judt like why we didn't get bats/ww in the show blocking of other kryptonians to later seasons and so forth. Same with what they where allow to do during the time sr was in production/in theaters.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #193
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
The basics of Lois were there but the other aspects they added were bad. A girl who couldnt finish highschool then drops out of college, dates every man and superhero who crosses her orbit, beer guzzling, likes monster trucks and mechanical bulls; they couldn't do more to de-class this version of Lois if they tried. And that's not adding in the lobotomy they gave her in season 10 to turn her into Susie Homemaker/Superbride.
Sorry there were some things I liked about Smallville's Lois, some things I tolerated and some things I hated. I'm very into the character of Lois Lane and I admit I can be hard to please when it comes to portraying her.
Only thing I'm going to address of this post: the Lois of the comics likes monster trucks as well.

Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #194
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna View Post
Only thing I'm going to address of this post: the Lois of the comics likes monster trucks as well.
And this a Lois who came in at season 4 at 19 and left season 10 as a 26 year old women so of course she would have a llittle differences and there were minor compared to other smallville characters

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #195
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

So true there folks change and grow over time.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #196
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

It's just little nitpick but, it still bothers me a little that both kal-El / Clark Kent's biological Kryptonian parents had blonde hair.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #197
chumchees
Side-Kick

Here is one of my many nitpicks with this show. The stupid red jacket Clark always wore. He always wore that and it was so annoying.

chumchees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #198
Pepsiguy2
Snyder Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
It's just little nitpick but, it still bothers me a little that both kal-El / Clark Kent's biological Kryptonian parents had blonde hair.
young Jor-El had black hair when he was played by Welling and first came to Earth. He probably dyed it later on.

Pepsiguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #199
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumchees View Post
Here is one of my many nitpicks with this show. The stupid red jacket Clark always wore. He always wore that and it was so annoying.
It was meant to resemble the cape, although he also wore blue and tan jackets on the show in the early seasons. After season 7 however, the red jacket didn't really show up all too much.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #200
redrover
Banned User

Erica D is still the worst, as her Lois was stupid, dumb, and slept her way into the DP, not only once but twice. And that she and Tom has zero chemistry, and had acting stiles so out of touch made it laughable, and sad.

Number 2, that Welling didn't care about the character or his role in history was a total shame. That he couldn't act only adds to that shame.

redrover is offline   Reply With Quote