The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #76
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises Critic Review Thread

I'm not saying they should be avid fan of comics. But they must know what's Batman and what makes a good Batman movie. And you gotta know it.

Same goes for any book adaptation. If you go to the Shining, you can't criticize the movie because it has supernatural elements. It's based best seller book.

They can criticize the story,storytelling,direction and all..but they can't criticize Batman being grim. That's ignorance. It's a character known as grim. Just because a critic don't like grim characters, doesn't give him right to bash the movie because it represent the character faithfully.

Batman is a comic book movie. It's not something totally new. It's 70 years of legacy. If they don't like darker superheroes, it shouldn't effect their review. They may hate the movie but can't say it's bad because it has darker tone.

Majority of audience is Batman fans. Not hardcore maybe, but still they know most of the characters, at least Batman. Then comic book movies fans.Then action fans. Then others.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #77
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

If i criticize LOTR movie because hobbits aren't sexy and trees are talking.. that makes me ignorant or a dumbass. Eighter i don't know LOTR is an adaptation and criticize main characters for what they suppose to be.

Of course it's still has to be good movie general. That's not what they criticize. They are giving their personal taste about characters and giving a negative note for it.

Can you criticize Peter Parker for being socially awkward? No. That's who he is. Just because a critic doesn't like awkward people, he can't has right the bash the movie because main character is faithful to main source of the movie.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #78
Bat-fan

Nowadays everyone can write a film critic on the internet, it's no big deal, I usually read critics by "professionals" after having seen a film because they often contain too many spoilers and even if the majority of the reviewers finds it a good film it does not necessarily mean that I'll agree with them since something like an "objective critic" simply doesn't exist.
Professional critics are usually more profound and provide more film facts, they are written in a more sophisticated language which makes them appear more serious than those of ordinary writers.
I think that the film producers are interested in the attendance figures anyway and it's questionable whether film critics have such a big influence on them, a good trailer has much more impact on the viewers decision of wanting to watch it.

Bat-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #79
Minus Shock
Captain Simple Jack

Wow this debate is still going on :P. I am saying after seeing the movie, in the Marathon mind you, I could care less what anyone's opinion of the movie is. I am content with knowing that I have seen something so special on screen that I will likely never see again.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #80
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baneis8feettall View Post
I'm not saying they should be avid fan of comics. But they must know what's Batman and what makes a good Batman movie. And you gotta know it.
There is no single answer to what makes a good Batman movie, that's the whole point.

By the way, are you still going to defend the people who sent death threats to reviewers?

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #81
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
There is no single answer to what makes a good Batman movie, that's the whole point.

By the way, are you still going to defend the people who sent death threats to reviewers?
I have never defend death threats Also if you are implying what happened it colorado, that's nothing to do with it.

There is nothing wrong to criticize anyone unprofessional in their jobs. If critics can't handle with cricitism, that's quite hypocrisy.

Making a good movie while being faithful to source enough. Like any other movie adaptation. Especially if it's as well known as Batman.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #82
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
There is nothing wrong to criticize anyone unprofessional in their jobs. If critics can't handle with cricitism, that's quite hypocrisy.
Right, but I'm not arguing against the idea of writing in to critics. My issue is with this particular instance - people writing in angry about a review to a movie they haven't seen. You're defending that and trying to make it comparable to 'Roger, I saw Batman last weekend and I really disagree with your review and here are the reasons why...'

Quote:
Making a good movie while being faithful to source enough.
Faithful to source? Which source? You mean the first Batman issues where he killed people? Or maybe the first appearance of Robin, the kid sidekick?

Again, my point - there is no one correct idea of Batman. Different writers have done different things with him in the comics the same way Nolan is doing his own unique take in his movies.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #83
Dannyboy3D
Newbie First Class

It comes down to this...

WATCH TDKR & BE YOUR OWN CRITIC. IT'S THE BEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN!

Dannyboy3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #84
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

A great review from the always-insightful Mark Kermode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58FU_yQYqhc

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote