The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: When will the fans turn on TDK Trilogy in Mass?
When a reboot or JL film is announced 32 39.51%
When we get a poster/stills of the reboot/JL film 11 13.58%
The new Trailer(s) 20 24.69%
Week of Release 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #26
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Criticism on Nolan's films will build over time, just as criticism for any movie does, but I doubt there will be a 180 degree turn on the trilogy. Even if the reboot is a masterpiece, most people will recount how they enjoyed the Nolan films at the time of their release.

Even with the Burton films, there are plenty of people who admit to still liking them even if they admit that their appreciation for them has been diminished a bit. The Spider-Man movies were different because the third film made obvious the flaws of the first two, magnifying them to an enormous degree. The Nolan films, on the other hand, remained fairly consistent.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #27
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Spider-Man 2 is absolutely fantastic. Still one of the finest in the genre.

Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #28
American_Hobo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Everything's an opinion. Unless it's fully concluded fact. Of course, not liking this trilogy comes under that banner.

Same way anyone who likes Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man is slightly insane.
Ok...

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #29
American_Hobo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I really like the movie but Avengers backlash has already begun in small doses.

"It was pretty fun but I dunno if I'm in a big hurry to watch it again."

"It's like one of the Transformers films."

I frequent several forums and outside of Rotten Tomatoes I've yet to see The Avengers beat Rises in a poll... and it's usually dramatically in favour of the latter. The internet is a funny place.
LOL.. people are already bashing Avengers?
Wow, people change their mind so quickly.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #30
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #31
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Hobo View Post
Ok...
And yes, I did that on purpose. I have no issues with Maguire as Spider-Man (bar Spider-Man 3). But anyway, yes. Crazy.

Though on a slightly deviated note, the original Spider-Man trilogy has aged terribly. Visually it seems completely off and certain lighter parts of the story just seem corny as hell.

I think The Dark Knight actually has the strongest script of the three. Thematically and visually, Rises is the strongest, but TDK benefit from an excellent script.

Horses for courses I guess.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #32
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Oh, definitely. If Raimi's Spiderman, Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman and Singer's X-Men franchises weren't safe from the ugly turn, then no franchise is safe. Whedon's The Avengers is absolutely gonna receive backlash a decade from now. The sequel is going to garner a more polarizing reaction from fans.
I actually think the sequel is going to be better, which is going to make the first one more susceptible to criticism people don't want to hear right now. A good number of fans got tired of hearing how great TDK was for 4 years straight, they were waiting to hold something, anything, else up and say "Look! this is good too."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Hmmm... I think the TA backlash will happen at the 3rd one rather than the 2nd one.
Definitely going to be the sequel, which is still a good ways off. Primarily because it's going to start influencing other superhero films much like TDK did. Instead of trying to shove dark and gritty themes into characters it doesn't belong, everything's going to start being too light, with jokes that don't work and goofy interactions that fall flat. Plus, I think the sequel will just be better in it's own regard.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #33
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I stand by saying he doesn't understand some of Batman's characters, and that Bale's bat-voice is the worst bat-voice ever.
Well, that varies. Some say Burton's films were more loyal to the source material and that his characters were more brilliantly written compared to Nolan's films. And yet, when you examine The Dark Knight Trilogy as a whole, ironically, Nolan's franchise is more loyal to the source material than Burton's, in my opinion.

I think it's just safe to say that fanboys are a peculiar bunch and will never be fully satisfied.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #34
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

The Avengers sequel will be very interesting. If Whedon isn't back, I'm not sure who can succeed him. He must return. He must.

Nolan had en excellent handle on the characters. Yes, Batman (1989) was more comic book oriented, but it was also bloody boring. Nolan went a long way towards humanizing the characters and importing a sheen onto them that's needed for cinematic adaptations.

My favourite Batman stories are typically Legends of The Dark Knight material. Others being done by Jeph Loeb. So anything that deviates too much into the superheroic or fantastic, tends to bore me.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #35
georgec
Not a hero

It's already happened. LOL just open any thread on here.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #36
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
The Avengers sequel will be very interesting. If Whedon isn't back, I'm not sure who can succeed him. He must return. He must.
He'll return.

What's ridiculous is Marvel over-saturating the market with more solo Iron Man and Captain America films. It might work in the short term but eventually the general public is going to start feeling overkill. Superhero movies have been a summer staple for several years now but this is a different scenario. Marvel has a full-blown enterprise on their hands... a virtual monopoly outside of Batman and maybe Superman.

The experiment worked -- moar Avengers pleez.

Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #37
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

I don't have an issue with more Iron Man / Cap / Thor films, but I think they do need to create more compelling films.

Whilst at the time Thor and Captain America were fanboy moments to see on the big screen, they're now pretty boring films that go Beginning/Middle/End.

Eventually the audience, loyal and casual, will catch on if it's just factory made product.

DC have a unique chance to go against the system. **** a shared universe and actually make self-contained stories that have something important to say and show.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #38
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I actually think the sequel is going to be better, which is going to make the first one more susceptible to criticism people don't want to hear right now. A good number of fans got tired of hearing how great TDK was for 4 years straight, they were waiting to hold something, anything, else up and say "Look! this is good too."
I've never been a fan of Whedon's style for storytelling. In fact, I find Joss' stories to be overrated. It's his characters that tend to capture my attention and heart. For instance, I disliked Firefly/Serenity but I was captivated by his characters.

The Avengers was the first Whedon product that I enjoyed, but after my third viewing of the film I couldn't conjure the strength to see it again. The story was just so flat. It'll be interesting to see how he handles a more small-scale film for Avengers 2.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #39
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
I've never been a fan of Whedon's style for storytelling. In fact, I find Joss' stories to be overrated. It's his characters that tend to capture my attention and heart. For instance, I disliked Firefly/Serenity but I was captivated by his characters.

The Avengers was the first Whedon product that I enjoyed, but after my third viewing of the film I couldn't conjure the strength to see it again. The story was just so flat. It'll be interesting to see how he handles a more small-scale film for Avengers 2.
I know that's what he wants, but I don't know if he'll have that option. Marvel has shown a propensity to discontinue work with any and everybody. I feel like they won't think anything but bigger will be better for Avengers 2. If that's the case, Joss is either gonna have to play ball, or possibly get replaced. At one time, Jon Favreau was the golden boy too. And while he could've came back for IM3, reading between the lines, I think he grew tired quickly with Marvel's input.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 07-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #40
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

They do seem to be a bit over the top with their control. Credit to Warner. When they trust their director, they really do go the whole hog.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #41
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Considering not everyone loves the Nolan films, it's not going to be a turn against his films, just people drinking the Nolan koolaid will realize not everyone liked his Batman.
All i know is the entire Internet was "drinking the koolaide" in 2005 after eight years of absence following the heartbreaking "film" that was Batman & Robin. Then in 2008, TDK became the highest grossing film of the decade (before Avatar) and second highest grossing of all time. Again, people were pretty into it and not just Nolanites and Nolan fanboys.

But soon, it's going to be "Nolan didn't have a Lazirus Pit/venom for Bane/permaskin/whatever...." and that is all fans on the Internet will say about his movies. How this, that, and this were wrong and ruined the character.

A storm is indeed coming.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #42
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464 View Post
Actually I'm expecting the opposite when a new director is announced for the next franchise...

Some kind of "No one will ever top Nolan". Until the next movie comes out at least, and the new guy either proves himself worthy or proves the haters right.

But let's not be half-empty glass guys here... A lot of movies actually get more praise as time passes.
I agree that truly good films only become more obviously so as time passes. And I do think that those who look back at films that defined the 2000s or the post-9/11 and Bush War on Terror years, TDK is going to be a benchmark for the level of dread, paranoia and even moral ambiguity about the "good guys'" tactics it permeated throughout the film. Plus, Ledger's performance will go down as one of the all-time greats.

BUT, I'm talking about the fan community. The majority turns on everything eventually. If it happened to Donner, Raimi, Singer and Burton (majority, not all fans), it will happen to Nolan.

At this point it is more bemusing and entertaining to me. Especially because I do think the second one is a definitive rendering of the character on film.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #43
PSYLENTGuardian
El Pollos Hermano

I don't remember people turning on Bryan Singer's first X-Men or X-Men 2 when Matthew Vaughn came around. X-Men 3 and XMO: Wolverine, on the other hand. Even though that latter two have always had a majority against them.

PSYLENTGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #44
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
I know that's what he wants, but I don't know if he'll have that option. Marvel has shown a propensity to discontinue work with any and everybody. I feel like they won't think anything but bigger will be better for Avengers 2. If that's the case, Joss is either gonna have to play ball, or possibly get replaced. At one time, Jon Favreau was the golden boy too. And while he could've came back for IM3, reading between the lines, I think he grew tired quickly with Marvel's input.
To Marvel Studios, Joss is expendable if he refuses to play ball (despite what fans say), I agree. Whedon wasn't even their first choice for director. He was only hired because he came cheap. It wouldn't be surprising if Whedon walked away. Marvel Studios has pissed off alot talent in the past.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #45
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYLENTGuardian View Post
I don't remember people turning on Bryan Singer's first X-Men or X-Men 2 when Matthew Vaughn came around. X-Men 3 and XMO: Wolverine, on the other hand. Even though that latter two have always had a majority against them.
I'm actually of the mind that the first X-men was a bit overrated. I know I loved it when it came out, but it just doesn't hold up now. Really the whole trilogy, it's more Wolverine & Friends, then X-men. I think it's the rare case that the new director really did revamp things for the better.

Quote:
To Marvel Studios, Joss is expendable if he refuses to play ball (despite what fans say), I agree. Whedon wasn't even their first choice for director. He was only hired because he came cheap. It wouldn't be surprising if Whedon walked away. Marvel Studios has pissed off alot talent in the past.
Oh for sure. I respect what they've done, the cinematic universe. It was different and worked to a certain extent. But eventually, talented directors won't want to have the studio over their back, and they'll just want to make whatever standalone film they wish to make.

- Kobe Bryant

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 07-31-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #46
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #47
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Oh if it hasn't already happened it will. However there's always room for different interpretations of Batman. Just like there are numerous different takes in the comic scene why not with movies. I shall give any other version a chance, but its going to take something very VERY special to eclipse this trilogy and even if it does I willl still enjoy this one for years to come as it will always be the first GREAT comic book trilogy of all time in my eye's and nothing can change that.

If you consider yourself to be a fan of the trilogy then to me that will never change, I will always be a fan of it!

BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #48
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Oh for sure. I respect what they've done, the cinematic universe. It was different and worked to a certain extent. But eventually, talented directors won't want to have the studio over their back, and they'll just want to make whatever standalone film they wish to make.
Yep. Marvel Studios had to do they did to succeed, but in the process they've pushed actors and directors away. Whedon can go wherever he wants now and get a studio's blessing after his work on The Avengers. What director doesn't dream of complete creative freedom?

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #49
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Oh if it hasn't already happened it will. However there's always room for different interpretations of Batman. Just like there are numerous different takes in the comic scene why not with movies. I shall give any other version a chance, but its going to take something very VERY special to eclipse this trilogy and even if it does I willl still enjoy this one for years to come as it will always be the first GREAT comic book trilogy of all time in my eye's and nothing can change that.

If you consider yourself to be a fan of the trilogy then to me that will never change, I will always be a fan of it!
Very true. I still hold B89 in a very special place. It was my first ever VHS tape as a kid (Ironically, TDK prompted me to take the Bluray plunge.) I played that VHS until it broke lol. Literally. I can probably quote that movie almost verbatim. BR I feel is a good Burton movie as I grew to like it more than I did when I was young, it's just not a good Batman film. I even like BF well enough. There's definitely room for different interpretations. I actually think the best way for DC to go is a complete comic translation, cloth suit and all. It's never been done big screen, and opens up the filmmaker to a whole new avenue to exploit.

That being said, almost every wish I've ever had for Batman came true with Nolan's trilogy, one way or another. They definitely need to let this franchise breath for a little.

Quote:
Yep. Marvel Studios had to do they did to succeed, but in the process they've pushed actors and directors away. Whedon can go wherever he wants now and get a studio's blessing after his work on The Avengers. What director doesn't dream of complete creative freedom?
Exactly, it's going to be a hard reputation to get rid of after awhile. Sooner or later, all the good directors might have their "superhero" fix as it is, with 3-4 movies coming out every year. Over-saturation, lack of creative control, these are all reasons to enjoy this era of comic flicks now. I have a feeling things are going to change sooner rather than later. IMO, it might not be a bad thing either. I'd prefer to get 1 or 2 quality movies a year as opposed to 3 or 4 mediocre ones.

- Kobe Bryant

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 07-31-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #50
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Until the reboot comes out, it will be 'Why are they bothering, they can't top Nolan!' and if it's good, there will be plenty of people who completely flip-flop on Nolan.

Uroboric Forms is offline   Reply With Quote