The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: When will the fans turn on TDK Trilogy in Mass?
When a reboot or JL film is announced 32 39.51%
When we get a poster/stills of the reboot/JL film 11 13.58%
The new Trailer(s) 20 24.69%
Week of Release 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #51
66 Face
Side-Kick

Default Re: How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I think its when the reboot happens. I loved the Nolan movies as much as anyone but its not without its flaws. Once people start picking apart the Nolan movies they'll just look for anything and run with it.

That being said, look how the Animated Series is still loved. I'm hoping the reboot actually follows those more than the Nolan movies.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #52
Greens
I'm wasted!

"The Nolan films were boring and emo. THIS is how Batman should be!"

Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #53
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

There are certain circles within the fanboy community that are notorious neophytes. If it's new and shiny, it's better, and the old all of a sudden was never that great anyway. There are also those who hate things that become too popular and acclaimed within the mainstream, citing their distaste for it as evidence of their more palette being more refined than the masses, perhaps with a claim to being a "true fan" thrown in too.

But there are also those who just don't like the films. No film is universally beloved, and as baffling as it might be to those of us who love Nolan's trilogy, the fact is it just left others cold. No ulterior motive, just their opinion.

As much as I adore Nolan's Batman trilogy (The Dark Knight is my favourite film) I can see it being quite easy for it to be toppled in the eyes of certain parts of the fan community. Nolan's focus was on making films that could be considered great films by any margin, rather than just great comic book films. But some fans just want a comic film. If you get a director willing to put in lots of fan service - scenes and images lifted right out of the comics, DCU Easter eggs, a post-credit sequence setting up a Justice League film - and have comics accurate costumes, like Batman in a gray spandex suit and white-skinned Joker - then many will be quick to hail the new franchise as definitive, even if the story, direction and acting pales in comparison to Nolan's films.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #54
Chrisbarnes182
Side-Kick

I don't think it will happen. Not by me at least. I wasn't exactly a Batman FAN period until Batman Begins came out and it made me turn around my entire view on it.

Don't ask me why I wasn't a fan I just always preferred the Marvel comics as a kid.

Chrisbarnes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #55
jmc
callin' it like I see it

It'll never happen. The series was instrumental in changing not only how Batman films are made, but superhero films in general.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #56
BattleCat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
All i know is the entire Internet was "drinking the koolaide" in 2005 after eight years of absence following the heartbreaking "film" that was Batman & Robin. Then in 2008, TDK became the highest grossing film of the decade (before Avatar) and second highest grossing of all time. Again, people were pretty into it and not just Nolanites and Nolan fanboys.

But soon, it's going to be "Nolan didn't have a Lazirus Pit/venom for Bane/permaskin/whatever...." and that is all fans on the Internet will say about his movies. How this, that, and this were wrong and ruined the character.

A storm is indeed coming.
Nolan better batten down the hatches.

BattleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #57
TAK The Voyager
Powerless

Regardless of what the rest of the fans think, I'm still going to stand my ground on the Nolan films. I love these films for so many reasons, even if the reboot is awesome, the fans shouldn't take his films for granted. It's the reason why we're even getting a second reboot.

TAK The Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #58
jb007
Side-Kick

I don't think they will. The reason is he has made a timeless trilogy. Like "Lord of the Rings", the first 3 Star Wars. Timeless. They won't turn on him. The films are too good.

John 16:33

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."
jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #59
Radioactive1980
Banned User

I don't think the fan community will ever turn on Nolan's films, only the superficial fans who weren't even fans in the first place.

Look at the Burton films, they are still loved.
So I'm sure Nolan's films always will be too.

Both Burton and Nolan really stamped their own unique identity onto Batman, and both visions were excellent at capturing a different side of the character.

Radioactive1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #60
aeioulul
Eccentric Billionaire

It won't happen

"Peace has cost you strength. Victory has defeated you."

"Lie still. I've never done this before, and there will be blood."
aeioulul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #61
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It'll never happen. The series was instrumental in changing not only how Batman films are made, but superhero films in general.
I'd like to think the majority of the fan base won't turn on Nolan's films. But there is already a vocal minority talking about how Nolan has "ruined" Batman and we need a new director to reboot the series and "fix" the character.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #62
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

I'm pretty much the opposite personally, it takes me a while to accept new reboots, as I get a tad bit nostalgic and I admit with 2005 Bats I was like but will it be as good as 89' etc etc.

But to answer the question, I think as soon as a new movie is announced and hype begins setting in, speculation begins on how much the new film is going to be better, how it will improve so and so from the previous films. And I think by doing that it takes a little bit out of the previous films, so you inevitably get the 'pwah Nolan didn't get this right......' 'and the new director will do this.....'

uniqueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #63
Chrisbarnes182
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman4ever View Post
I don't think they will. The reason is he has made a timeless trilogy. Like "Lord of the Rings", the first 3 Star Wars. Timeless. They won't turn on him. The films are too good.
Absolutely timeless. To the point if they move completely away from the Nolan-verse I probably wont be to bothered to see it. I probably will see it but as (Cheese Warning) sinead o'connor once said Nothing Compares to you . lol

Chrisbarnes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #64
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I'd like to think the majority of the fan base won't turn on Nolan's films. But there is already a vocal minority talking about how Nolan has "ruined" Batman and we need a new director to reboot the series and "fix" the character.

Let them whine. That vocal minority has been there since day one ever since Nolan intended this Batman series to be it's own thing. They didn't get their precious DC team up movie with Bale as Batman or the films weren't 'comic booky' enough, whatever the hell that is suppose to mean. Boo effing hoo. Batman is is a better place now because of Nolan, and superheroes in general given how much influences his film have had on the genre as a whole.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #65
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

People will turn, but personally I don't think they should. I love these films and in some way they delivered most of the more important aspects of Batman's mythology. With the final film I feel Christian Bale has firmly cemented himself as "my Batman". I definitely feel that people will turn on The Dark Knight and eventually Batman Begins will be viewed as the best of the trilogy.

Having said that I still look forward to what a new talent can bring to the Batman franchise.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #66
jmc
callin' it like I see it

People won't turn because there hasn't been anything yet that's match the quality of the films, and chances are there won't be anything for a long time that will.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #67
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

The fringe hardcore comic aficionados that dwell on the internet and throw around wild exaggeration's have already been adamant on how Nolan hasn't followed the comics to a T. So in a way it has already begun.

The majority (GA) though won't turn against this franchise. For them and for a good deal of Batman fans who enjoy any good incarnation of the character feel that Nolan did a great job. They won't turn their backs on this franchise.

The Nolan Batman series will always hold a special place in my heart the same way the Burton Batman films also have a place there too. As long as we don't ever get the toy/theme park merchandising slave that were Batman Forever and Batman & Robin then I'm good.

Thankfully the merchandising department of studios have learned to still make a wide variety of toys without meddling so much with the film itself. Make as many variations of Batman you want, just don't touch the subject matter or tone of the film to make a giant toy commercial.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB

Last edited by craigdbfan; 07-31-2012 at 08:22 AM.
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #68
Art Damage
Turtle Power

It won't happen and especially won't happen to me.

These are my favorite set of films and MY favorite interpretation of the character.

I'm going to miss the hell out of it.

Art Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #69
bratpack

I think it all comes down to how the film is made and if it was made with passion behind it.

Look at the 1st two alien movies still very very enjoyable even today they hold up very very well

Look at jurassic park 1 it was passionate to steven and it damm well shows it still holdsup

Nolan has made these movies with care and great love for the stories he was trying to tell

They havent been to CGI heavy either so I think these movies will age very well and be respected in movie history just like those 1st two alien movies have been.

bratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #70
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCat View Post
Nolan better batten down the hatches.

Actually, Nolan will be fine. By the time the reboot rolls around hopefully he'll have another masterpiece or two out and knows that the GA and critics will hold his still as the benchmark. And I still have the naive hope that TDKR gets a token BP nomination, if for nothing more than a make-up for missing TDK, and thereby can say he has the only superhero movie nominated for BP. I think TDK will always b an undisputed classic and therefore will keep BB and TDKR held up as part of a classic trilogy for those who love great movies, as opposed to just how they are related to comic books.

But fans who love this movie on this site? We better batten down the hatches.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 07-31-2012 at 11:48 AM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #71
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let them whine. That vocal minority has been there since day one ever since Nolan intended this Batman series to be it's own thing. They didn't get their precious DC team up movie with Bale as Batman or the films weren't 'comic booky' enough, whatever the hell that is suppose to mean. Boo effing hoo. Batman is is a better place now because of Nolan, and superheroes in general given how much influences his film have had on the genre as a whole.
Out of curiosity which superhero movies do you think Nolan's take influenced? I would definitely say TASM was more than a little inspired by Nolan. I also think there was some BB influence on IM1. Any others? Those are the two most obvious for me.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #72
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

X-Men:First Class.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #73
JonnyT23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Now, I'm not naming names, but I'm already seeing a disgruntled blowback on TDKR that is starting to extend to the whole trilogy. Despite being almost universally beloved on this boards in 2005 and 2008, fans are starting to taste change in the air and the possibility for something new....

Now, we've seen it happen time and again. When the new comes along, fans not only turn on the old, a majority at some point comes to the consensus they NEVER liked the old toys and always hated them. We saw this with Burton when Nolan came along. We saw this with Raimi when Webb came along. We saw this with Singer when Vaughn came along. And if you just scroll down to the Superman boards you can see it right now starting to trinkle out with Donner now that Snyder/Nolan have come along.

So, I'll be optimistic and say that it won't be a majority until the week of a reboot and/or JL film, but there will be a plurality of discontent by the trailer. And yet the cynic in me says soon as there is an announcement or poster the bandwagon will begin.

So let the voting begin.
It's already happening. Don't you know it's now cool to hate Nolan, especially his Batman movies? The typical post goes like this: "was disappointed in da moviez. Dere were editing problemz, too many characterz and stuffs going on, I wuz lost... Avengerz wuz da bomb.. and so waz spidermanz." Funny thing is those two marvel movies had those problems in spades; not to mention, they lacked any heart (it was your typical, summer block buster CGI-fest, void of emotion, and intelligence). Don't even get me on Spiderman, if you want to talk bad screen-writing; the entire movie felt like a bad joke (Spiderman taking his mask off in front of the public every 10 minutes, or breaking his promise to Gwen's dying father after two days... I can go on and on and on). The really dumb thing is that people don't apply the same criticism to the movies they already love/are invested in, they just want to tear down that new, original, compelling piece of work they're insecure/afraid of.

JonnyT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #74
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Honestly...I'm not even phased by this if it happens.

Nolan's legacy will stay in tact for the most part. The only people who'd have a problem with bashers are Nolan fans...and some of those fans were the same people who were all too eager to bash the Burton films, as anyone who was around in 2005-2008 can attest to.

Not only that, as much as I like the Nolan franchise, he is not the end all be all. For example, I've still yet to see Bruce Wayne truly reach his onscreen potential, as much as I love Michael Keaton and Christian Bale.

Last edited by The Batman; 07-31-2012 at 12:03 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #75
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
People won't turn because there hasn't been anything yet that's match the quality of the films, and chances are there won't be anything for a long time that will.
Precisely! These are quality films. Plus minimal use of cgi means they'll all age well. That's one thing that starts to kill movies for me after a while.

These are my favorites but I still really like Batman '89.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is offline   Reply With Quote