The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #576
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Default Re: Explain JGL timeline please

I'd say every other orphan is Batman. Not literally, but has it in them? Sure. Hell yeah. We go through having to chart a similar path. A lot of us wear masks that you guys can't see. And a lot similarly have the instinct of placing others ahead of themselves. You lose something so important like your natural parents, it forces you to have to grow up fast and learn to take charge of your own life. That creates a certain kind of identity. It also can champion one a hero, because there's a sense of belonging to the world at large. Not easy. But, hey - there's a psychological reason why most heroes dating back thousands of years are orphans. And this film just acknowledged that basically by saying any one of those kids could become Batman or Robin, and my money is when Blake's Batman - one of those would become his protege.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 07-30-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #577
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
How did they leave it open?
Well, they don't explain much about what happened in those eight years. All we know for sure is that the Dent Act was enacted, Gordon's wife left him and took the children with her, and at some point Bruce stopped being Batman.

They seemed to leave things open in the film for what may or may not have happened within those 8 years. The Joker could have escaped at some point, the Scarecrow as well or whatever. There could have been small skirmishes on the way to the passage of the Dent Act with them or the mob.

And like others have pointed out, with Blake probably being in his twenties, the overall timeline seems to fit.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #578
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
So Blake knew Bruce was Batman cause he was an Orphan???

ok now that makes sense......so is every other orphan batman too?
He's a natural detective.

Same way Tim Drake was. Same way Tim simply put the pieces together on his own, with no real evidence.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #579
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
No but every Batman is an orphan.
True.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #580
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
That wasn't what I was saying. He just saw the hurt on his face. Years later when Batman appeared is when he figured out Bruce was Batman. Then again, I can't remember the exact conversation. Did he say he realized he was Batman when he first saw Bruce? If so, then shauner and chintai hit on what is most likely the case here.
Yeah, if you suspect Bruce of it it's easy to figure out. A billionaire with a tragic past returns to gotham at the same time a vigilante with a ridiculous armory who has the same height and build comes around.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #581
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
Well, they don't explain much about what happened in those eight years. All we know for sure is that the Dent Act was enacted, Gordon's wife left him and took the children with her, and at some point Bruce stopped being Batman.

They seemed to leave things open in the film for what may or may not have happened within those 8 years. The Joker could have escaped at some point, the Scarecrow as well or whatever. There could have been small skirmishes on the way to the passage of the Dent Act with them or the mob.

And like others have pointed out, with Blake probably being in his twenties, the overall timeline seems to fit.
No, it's said a few times that Batman has not been seen for 8 years. Bruce tells Gordon in the hospital that Batman wasn't needed after Gordon told his lie about Harveys death. "We won". Why would Batman be out doing heroic things and leaving criminals on the GCPD's doorstep when he's supposed to keep up with the lie that HE'S the bad guy.

People just want to believe that Batman existed longer so they can have more Batman stories to think about in their minds. But it's just not true.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #582
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
True.
most super heroes are.

1) The Avengers, 2) The Dark Knight, 3)Captain America:The Winter Soldier, 4) The Dark Knight Rises, 5) The Incredible Hulk, 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World,7) X-Men:FirstClass,8) Thor, 9) Thor:The Dark World, 10) Spider-Man 2,
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #583
georgec
Not a hero

Default Re: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake V

Who is Robin Blake today?

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #584
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Who is Robin Blake today?
The SHH arrogant experts still think he is just a cop

Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #585
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Well, technically, he's just a civilian.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #586
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post

People just want to believe that Batman existed longer so they can have more Batman stories to think about in their minds. But it's just not true.

It seems like wishful thinking. I would of preffered for him to have stayed active in those eight years but everything in TDKR suggests otherwise.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #587
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Well, technically, he's just a civilian.
But is he ordinary?

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #588
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
So Blake knew Bruce was Batman cause he was an Orphan???

ok now that makes sense......so is every other orphan batman too?
Um no. Not only is Blake a natural detective which they show throughout the movie but he lost both his parents in tragic fashion. He knows what it looks like to hide his inner feelings, his hatred for the unfair world. Then he puts two and two together. I loved the poeticness of it. In fact I love the ways people find out. Catwoman through the beating, Bane figures it out himself presumably, and Gordon through the amazing speech.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #589
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah, that and Bruce Wayne disappeared at exactly the same time that Batman did

Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #590
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Never did Bruce and Batman disappear at the same time to the public eye.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #591
Chrisbarnes182
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Yeah, that and Bruce Wayne disappeared at exactly the same time that Batman did
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Never did Bruce and Batman disappear at the same time to the public eye.
Yeah i am pretty sure Wayne went missing to the public sometime before he got the bat beaten out of him by Bane.

Bruce was not seen again by anyone except Catwoman when he asked to help him find Lusious Fox.

From then on it was all Batman.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #592
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
It seems like wishful thinking. I would of preffered for him to have stayed active in those eight years but everything in TDKR suggests otherwise.
It was a good idea to set up a return, but the way it was handled, you didn't really 'feel' the passage of time or the effects of it as much even though it was telling you. So to some, it must have felt a bit WTH that he'd be sitting around so long. But apparently, the story indicates that Batman wasn't needed during that time by Gotham, even though Wayne may have needed him.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #593
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
No, it's said a few times that Batman has not been seen for 8 years. Bruce tells Gordon in the hospital that Batman wasn't needed after Gordon told his lie about Harveys death. "We won". Why would Batman be out doing heroic things and leaving criminals on the GCPD's doorstep when he's supposed to keep up with the lie that HE'S the bad guy.

The only time I remember it mentioned that he hadn't been seen was from Foley said, when he told Blake after squad cars chasing Bane spotted Batman, that the "last confirmed sighting" was on the night of Dent's death. I don't know, I thought it still left room for some low key activity from Bats.

I don't remember Bruce telling Gordon that after Dent's death Batman wasn't needed. I'll have to see the film again to confirm, but I don't remember him even mentioning Dent's death to Jim in the hospital. He did say they'd won, which was why he retired.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #594
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

After gordon says we were in this together, and then you were gone, bruce says the batman wasnt needed anymore, we won.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #595
shauner111
Side-Kick

People should check the other thread about how long the Batman was active since he began. Because he was gone for the entire 8 years, and you would accept it once you read the new info from one of the new books. It says he was active for 3 years (not 6 months like we thought) between the end of Begins and TDK. And there's a jump in time during Batman Begins. Between Batmans first appearance where he takes down Falcone and the train sequence with Ras...there's actually a 2 year gap almost.

So he's been active for a while. It should make you fans breathe better, the ones who so desperately want Batman to be active throughout the 8 year gap. He retired right after Dents murder.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #596
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
The only time I remember it mentioned that he hadn't been seen was from Foley said, when he told Blake after squad cars chasing Bane spotted Batman, that the "last confirmed sighting" was on the night of Dent's death. I don't know, I thought it still left room for some low key activity from Bats.

I don't remember Bruce telling Gordon that after Dent's death Batman wasn't needed. I'll have to see the film again to confirm, but I don't remember him even mentioning Dent's death to Jim in the hospital. He did say they'd won, which was why he retired.
But that's the thing...if there was any 'activity' after Dent's death, it was so low key and non-eventful that it's basically insignificant. So for all intents and purposes, he was retired for the full eight years. Aside from not being a 'constant' thing like comics, perhaps some fans see that as some sort of abandonment of duties...like it's somehow out of character for Batman. It's really not if Gotham didn't actually need him to take care of its major crimes...and as we see, the time off has not been kind, most notably because he does seem to yearn to be Batman again.

So the circumstances of such a long sabbatical are different than the 'norm', but the character is still very much Batman because it hasn't sat well with him.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #597
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
It was a good idea to set up a return, but the way it was handled, you didn't really 'feel' the passage of time or the effects of it as much even though it was telling you. So to some, it must have felt a bit WTH that he'd be sitting around so long. But apparently, the story indicates that Batman wasn't needed during that time by Gotham, even though Wayne may have needed him.
It's kind of strange because Gotham wouldn't clean up overnight. I could see Batman having a reason to hang around a bit longer. However the police were probably more capable with the Dent act and also Batman would of been a distraction.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #598
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
It's kind of strange because Gotham wouldn't clean up overnight. I could see Batman having a reason to hang around a bit longer. However the police were probably more capable with the Dent act and also Batman would of been a distraction.
Not clean-up overnight...but also remember that he was immediately wanted as a murder suspect, so he had to lay low for at least a while right afterwards while the city healed from the trauma of the last week now that Joker was locked up securely. It seems that the Police, especially with Gordon now commissioner, was able to crack down harder...especially since Joker already pretty-much beheaded all the crime families. Makes sense that the police were able to take more command after that.

Last edited by KalMart; 07-31-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #599
bullets
bang bang

Yeah , that's why I say he would of been a distraction. They would be wasting time trying to hunt down Batman while other criminals were running around. I like how Foley was obsessed with catching Batman during the Wall Street chase.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #600
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

I just love it that we basically saw Robin being trained by Bats and Gordon throughout the whole movie, and the non-fanboy audience - certainly not the one I saw it with - didn´t even realize it. He´s not Dick Grayson, but then again there were several Robins in the comics. Being a cop is consistent with Dick´s Nightwing identity, for instance.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
Closed Thread