The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #101
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 5

2 months is not a lot of time. The last time FOX rushed a Marvel film to start we got X3. Food for thought.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #102
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
2 months is not a lot of time. The last time FOX rushed a Marvel film to start we got X3. Food for thought.
Actually, last time Fox rushed a Marvel film to start we got X-Men: First Class. But I'd say that's the exception to the rule, and I totally agree with you.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #103
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

XM-Men First Class wasn't rushed, it just had a short shooting schedule from the beginning. X3 is the one where it kept on getting rushed to an earlier release.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #104
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
XM-Men First Class wasn't rushed, it just had a short shooting schedule from the beginning. X3 is the one where it kept on getting rushed to an earlier release.
Actually, Fox never moved the X3 release date up, but in fact pushed it back three weeks that May. They announced their original date before even having a director yet, and it was considered rushed at the time. It just got even more rushed when Ratner replaced Vaughn right before filming the previous June.

I consider both movies to be rushed because of the dates they were to be released and when Fox set them. I mean, some of the effects in First Class seem pretty unpolished/cheap, and probably could have been served by a longer production schedule.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #105
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

No, X3 was pushed forward in order to get their movie out before Superman Returns, so they could get the comic movie revenue first, as well as the issues against Singer as well as Marsden.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #106
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
No, X3 was pushed forward in order to get their movie out before Superman Returns, so they could get the comic movie revenue first, as well as the issues against Singer as well as Marsden.
this is how i remember it as well

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #107
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's a matter of perspective. Fox never changed the date from a later one to an earlier one (one definition of rushing), but it did force a very short production schedule on its directors. X-Men: First Class did the same thing.

I will concede that X3 was rushed in the sense that they did not wait for Singer to come back from Superman Returns and set the release date to directly compete with SR, but even if Singer wasn't doing SR and was directing X3, I still would have considered the May 2006 date to be rushed.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #108
Chewy
REDACTED

Vaughn had four months after signing on before they started shooting, but Singer had likely started a lot of the previs and set design work

Ratner signed on shortly before filming but there were a few guys before him who got everything set up, he was mostly a hired hand

It sounds like any Daredevil movie would have to be built from the ground up, from scratch. Anything they produce without an extension will be absolute horse****

Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #109
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykhris View Post
What's all this talk about working with FOX? They have NEVER played fair with Marvel/Disney. A day after the merger what they do announce they were going to make new DD & FF films.

Wasn't their an article saying FOX would do everything it could to keep Marvel properties away from Disney? Look at Comic Con they were talk the same thing. NO DEALS we want it all (not all we're never getting the X-Men back)
I do remember reading that article and I remember thinking at the time: "Sounds like Fox is trying to drive up the price." If they truly want to keep the rights and make films, there's no point in bluster such as that. Just make films and shut up about Marvel.

The louder I hear Fox talking, the more I think they want to sell. And I think they want cash - not characters in trade.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #110
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Vaughn had four months after signing on before they started shooting, but Singer had likely started a lot of the previs and set design work

Ratner signed on shortly before filming but there were a few guys before him who got everything set up, he was mostly a hired hand

It sounds like any Daredevil movie would have to be built from the ground up, from scratch. Anything they produce without an extension will be absolute horse****
yeah, apparently singer came in one day and snatched all of his concept and work he had done on X3 and left the building. (which........ even as an artist /professional is incredibly immature) FOX owns his work on their property. He's the one that baled on them.

[=]
Old 08-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #111
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
yeah, apparently singer came in one day and snatched all of his concept and work he had done on X3 and left the building. (which........ even as an artist /professional is incredibly immature) FOX owns his work on their property. He's the one that baled on them.
Is there a link talking about that?

It's a wonder that they mended the fences on First Class.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #112
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Is there a link talking about that?

It's a wonder that they mended the fences on First Class.
i don't have one. it was so long ago.. but both parties were incredibly ridiculous... and Singer was known for being incredibly arrogant at the time. Rebecca, Ian, Halle, and Alan all spoke out against him as well.. Ian specifically was quoted as saying something about how he hopes to never be invited to a singer event for how boring he is (or something like that).

you just don't break a contract to do another film like he did... (and then try to steal cast members away to) he also tried to get shawn and famke. but James was the only one to go along

He's good friends with the x-men producer Lauren Schuler Donner (aka Richard Donner director of superman's wife) so... me thinks she promised him a chance to direct supes, and he ditched fox for it. and she's probably the one to mend things with Bryan and Tom

[=]
Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #113
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think Singer made a mistake by leaving for Superman, but what can you do.

- CM Punk
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #114
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
if x men had magneto as a core villian in pretty much every x men film i dont see a problem here

Correction: every X-Men film had Magneto AND THE BROTHERHOOD (with a changing roster), and later the Hellfire Club. Doom has.....a bunch of robots who look just like him. And that's all for supporting cast.

Yeah, "The Fantastic Four Go To Latveria, Parts I, II & III" isn't going to fly. At all.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #115
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Correction: every X-Men film had Magneto AND THE BROTHERHOOD (with a changing roster), and later the Hellfire Club. Doom has.....a bunch of robots who look just like him. And that's all for supporting cast.

Yeah, "The Fantastic Four Go To Latveria, Parts I, II & III" isn't going to fly. At all.
I agree. Also, Magneto wasn't a core villain for most films. Half of them he was the villain, the other two he was a rogueish ally/hero. That's not what I'd want from Doom either.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #116
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

1=DOOM + Dragon Man + Latveria
2=Moleman, PsychoMan.. whomever
3=Doom causes rift in N-zone, causes war between Annihilus (or blaastar) and earth.

[=]
Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #117
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Well, you're right and wrong about Universal. They did the distribution for TIH in 2008 in a similar way Paramount did for the other MCU movies.

Good point about the C-list characters; this whole time we have been working under the assumption that Marvel Studios wouldn't have FF at their disposal to introduce BP or Namor (and so we've been defaulting to solo movies or Avengers introductions), but it's definitely been exciting to even open up the FF conversation, even if it won't happen!
No. The point being Universal settled on the distribution deal because Hulk was a failure for them. Fox could do the same, knowing the end result of RotSS.

I just don't see that happening. Fox isn't going to just hand it over after a couple of years. Something needs to be worked out. This wheeling and dealing for certain characters doesn't fly for me. For one, Marvel is asking for way too much, and if they made that offer to me as an owner of FF, I would have laughed at them.

But Marvel has a reputation of low balling so I am not surprised. They are going to have lower their asking price if they want FF and/or related characters. If I am Fox, I would gladly let DD revert than take anything close to a deal like that.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #118
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
1=DOOM + Dragon Man + Latveria
2=Moleman, PsychoMan.. whomever
3=Doom causes rift in N-zone, causes war between Annihilus (or blaastar) and earth.
At this point, looking at the results of ASM, TIH, and Punisher/GR to a lesser extent, it is obvious to me that the general public will not be receptive to more FF, whether it is given serious treatment or otherwise. ASM and TIH weren't bad movies. Had they came out in 02/03 people would have though those were the greatest summer blockbusters ever. A pitch containing more Doom will fell like a rehash in every sense, just as what Spidey is going through now. I don't think using B-list villains while setting up for Doom/Annihilus later will work because one one will even care if the first film fails.

Last edited by AvengeME; 08-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #119
LauraT
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just don't see that happening. Fox isn't going to just hand it over after a couple of years. Something needs to be worked out. This wheeling and dealing for certain characters doesn't fly for me. For one, Marvel is asking for way too much, and if they made that offer to me as an owner of FF, I would have laughed at them.

But Marvel has a reputation of low balling so I am not surprised. They are going to have lower their asking price if they want FF and/or related characters. If I am Fox, I would gladly let DD revert than take anything close to a deal like that.
To be fair, we really don't know what's on the table either fully character wise, rights wise or fanancially. All we've got to go on are at best 3rd/4th hand reports and clear signs of both playing negotiating tactics. We don't know the full extent of Marvel's offer (if there is one) and we can only guess what FOX want out of it, if anything.

A lot of fans are interpreting both how they want in multiple ways. We've been discussing everything from a loan of SS/Galactus rights for an extention of DD rights to Marvel gunning for the entirety of Fantastic Four to revert to the MCU in exchange for continual rights to DD and everything in between. Some of those might be considered lowballing others might be a fair exchange.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #120
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

... Spidey isn't going through anything right now... It did above most expectations considering its a reboot. Its doing better than batman begins........ (it actually about doubled its box office) The studio considers it a success .

He's not hurting

Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #121
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Movie probably cost twice as much as what Batman Begins did.

To me above expectations for Amazing Spider-Man would be matching or surpassing Spider-Man 3.

- CM Punk
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #122
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Movie probably cost twice as much as what Batman Begins did.

To me above expectations for Amazing Spider-Man would be matching or surpassing Spider-Man 3.
BB = 150m ASM= 230m
BB profit = 222 mil ASM profit = 447 mil thus far

Any 5 second clip from asm did that....... The bar was pretty low

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 08-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #123
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I meant in terms of box office.

- CM Punk
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #124
AvengeME
Banned User

And FF is coming off a much less successful predecessor. I don't see how that pitch draws the general public back in the game. Unless we are bringing in Clooney for Reed, Kidman for Sue, Daniel Day Lewis for Doom, and Spielberg/Jackson to direct. It just looks like more of the same from a story/structure standpoint if nothing else. My point being I think any reboots from now on have to be part of something bigger. Avengers changed the game in that sense. People want a more immersible world, not retreads.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #125
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I meant in terms of box office.
See above

[=]
Closed Thread