The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #51
hockeyboy89
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 109
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Now that I've seen it three times, I enjoyed it much more. The first time I hated it. The Bane/Talia twist was lousy. Alfred leaving (you still haven't given up on me......never, or until you're too old and cranky......... then I'll leave). Bruce taking a vacation while Gotham needs him the most was foolish.

It wasn't until talking to a coworker I realized my issues with it. I knew too much about Batman and his history. If I just took this at face value for a stand alone movie, it's fine. I'd have let Talia escape......I mean show her preggo at the LOS compound or what not. Bane should have met his end by Batman. While I thoroughly enjoyed Selina Kyle throughout, it should have been Bats to win. Have Alfred stick around till then end then they reunite on holiday.

I just don't believe Bruce would ever just leave. Sure he gave Robin a good start, but BRUCE WAYNE should have stayed to help rebuild his city. Bruce could have been the face of hope needed. "they need you....your knowledge your resources. Not your body". That could have come to play here.

All in all, a 7 out of 10. I started out hating it, but came back. I appreciate it for what it was, and look forward to the next series.

hockeyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #52
maninthechair
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 133
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

I'm surprised that I haven't seen too many comparisons to the Dark Knight Returns in the posts I have read.... Bruce coming out of retirement for his obsession. Alfred trying to discourage him from doing so because of age. The almost exact scene with the older cop telling the younger one to "sit back and enjoy the show". Getting his ass kicked and coming back to beat the opponent like he did against the Mutants (yes, I know it's based on Knightfall, but it's still there.) And ultimately faking his death and trusting the future of Gotham in others.

I've read a lot of comments about this Bruce being so different from the one in the comics but I have to disagree. Yes, he is a different character than the Bruce/Batman in normal canon, but he is very similar to Frank Miller's version in the Dark Knight Returns.

maninthechair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #53
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Dang...am I the only one that loves TDKR more everytime I watch it? Lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #54
OrgasmicPotatoe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

I just got back from the theater. First time seeing it, I am blown away.

I found myself smiling and staring, in awe, during both Bane/Batman fights. Bane giving Batman such a hard time was one of the things I wanted to see most. And it didn't disappoint. But Batman punching Bane's mask was just as satifying.

I think I never felt that good after seeing a movie since the first time I saw The Dark Knight. Nice one, Nolan !

OrgasmicPotatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #55
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,885
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Dang...am I the only one that loves TDKR more everytime I watch it? Lol.
Nope.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #56
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,611
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

IMO, even with the faults and quibbles of TDKR, it can't be lower than an 8/10. Their is just too much greatness in the film for it to be less than that.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #57
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy89 View Post
Now that I've seen it three times, I enjoyed it much more. The first time I hated it. The Bane/Talia twist was lousy. Alfred leaving (you still haven't given up on me......never, or until you're too old and cranky......... then I'll leave). Bruce taking a vacation while Gotham needs him the most was foolish.

It wasn't until talking to a coworker I realized my issues with it. I knew too much about Batman and his history. If I just took this at face value for a stand alone movie, it's fine. I'd have let Talia escape......I mean show her preggo at the LOS compound or what not. Bane should have met his end by Batman. While I thoroughly enjoyed Selina Kyle throughout, it should have been Bats to win. Have Alfred stick around till then end then they reunite on holiday.

I just don't believe Bruce would ever just leave. Sure he gave Robin a good start, but BRUCE WAYNE should have stayed to help rebuild his city. Bruce could have been the face of hope needed. "they need you....your knowledge your resources. Not your body". That could have come to play here.

All in all, a 7 out of 10. I started out hating it, but came back. I appreciate it for what it was, and look forward to the next series.
I agree, comic Bruce Wayne would NEVER give up being Batman.

But Nolan's Brucr Wayne has always been a far different character - he has been since Begins - and what he does is totally in-character and totally a fitting end for the type of character Nolan had shaped over the course of 3 films.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #58
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,016
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Bruce Wayne of the comics will always and forever be haunted by the murder of his parents. In many ways he still uses their loss as his primary motivation to fight crime.

Chris Nolan's Bruce Wayne started out like that as well...only to realize that he must look beyond his own pain and use the example they left behind to inspire good.

That's why we never once got a scene of Bruce visiting his parents graves in the Nolan trilogy. In this universe, being Batman is more than about, to quote the Joker in Batman Beyond: ROTJ, "A little boy in a play suit, crying for mommy and daddy."

I'm not knocking either interpretation. The tormented Dark Knight is what made him so appealing to me as a child to begin with.

They're both very different. Yet handled very well...


Last edited by LostSon88; 08-10-2012 at 04:13 AM.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #59
gothamist
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

I saw the movie for the 3rd time last night. The first two times were in rapid succession a few weeks ago, and at the time I couldn't shake a weird confusion summed up best as "uhmm,what did I just see?" For some reason, I just needed to see it again to put my mind to rest.

Finally, this time around, I managed to leave all preconceptions at the door. I stopped trying to force the movie to be what I wanted/expected it to be (basically, a remake of TDK), and instead just sat down ready to be entertained. I was ready to accept the movie on its own terms.

And wow, did it not disappoint. I'm not sure what it was about the 3rd time around, but it hit me like a ton of bricks. This is a powerful and epic movie. All the minor plot-holes (as if TDK didn't have gaping ones) were washed away, and I actually even caught some new intrigue,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
like Talia flagging the wrong truck as the bomb truck while she is still Miranda
. The whole Blake angle is great when you understand that the theme of this movie is the tranformation of Batman from man (Bruce Wayne) to idea (ie "it can be anybody"). From that angle, this movie is great at tying together the themes of the trilogy and ultimately, letting us celebrate Bruce Wayne's redemption and success: he finally managed to inspire good (as opposed to chaos a la TDK).

I now understand why several critics gave this movie 5 stars. And frankly, sitting here right now, if I was given the choice of watching TDK or TDKR, I think I'd go for TDKR.

gothamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #60
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,479
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamist View Post
I saw the movie for the 3rd time last night. The first two times were in rapid succession a few weeks ago, and at the time I couldn't shake a weird confusion summed up best as "uhmm,what did I just see?" For some reason, I just needed to see it again to put my mind to rest.

Finally, this time around, I managed to leave all preconceptions at the door. I stopped trying to force the movie to be what I wanted/expected it to be (basically, a remake of TDK), and instead just sat down ready to be entertained. I was ready to accept the movie on its own terms.

And wow, did it not disappoint. I'm not sure what it was about the 3rd time around, but it hit me like a ton of bricks. This is a powerful and epic movie. All the minor plot-holes (as if TDK didn't have gaping ones) were washed away, and I actually even caught some new intrigue,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
like Talia flagging the wrong truck as the bomb truck while she is still Miranda
. The whole Blake angle is great when you understand that the theme of this movie is the tranformation of Batman from man (Bruce Wayne) to idea (ie "it can be anybody"). From that angle, this movie is great at tying together the themes of the trilogy and ultimately, letting us celebrate Bruce Wayne's redemption and success: he finally managed to inspire good (as opposed to chaos a la TDK).

I now understand why several critics gave this movie 5 stars. And frankly, sitting here right now, if I was given the choice of watching TDK or TDKR, I think I'd go for TDKR.
Now, you get it.

Keeping an open mind helps, consider this to be an elseworlds take on Batman. In fact, All movies made on comics based superheroes are else world takes on the characters, they follow the directors (and writes) vision of the super hero.

TDKR is more emotional and has better performances by Bale, Caine, Oldman and Hathaway.

BTW, welcome to hype.

__________________

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 08-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #61
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,479
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgasmicPotatoe View Post
I just got back from the theater. First time seeing it, I am blown away.

I found myself smiling and staring, in awe, during both Bane/Batman fights. Bane giving Batman such a hard time was one of the things I wanted to see most. And it didn't disappoint. But Batman punching Bane's mask was just as satifying.

I think I never felt that good after seeing a movie since the first time I saw The Dark Knight. Nice one, Nolan !
There are really not many movies so far that are like TDKR, in terms of wide canvas storytelling, for a Superhero movie.

A great way to end trilogy.

__________________

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #62
OrgasmicPotatoe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Another thing I am really pleased about is seeing a little part dedicated to Harvey Dent and his legacy, how his death affected Gotham. I wasn't sure they were going to mention it that much, so I was a little bit afraid to be let down on that. But I loved how Gordon's letter an Batman's guilt (or no guilt) about Harvey's murders was a whole plot in the movie.

OrgasmicPotatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #63
Tasogare Sebei
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Dang...am I the only one that loves TDKR more everytime I watch it? Lol.
No.

Tasogare Sebei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
ShaDynasty
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 121
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Yeah. comic Bruce Wayne pretty much personified his madness through Batman. Batman is comic Bruce Wayne's "only hope for a normal life," while Rachel was his only hope in the movies.

TDKR is still amazing though.

Oh and regarding TDK's plot holes, when Gordon at the end said "five dead. two of them cops." who is he referring to? Dent kills wuertz and then maroni's driver...but who else?

ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #65
Fudgie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,090
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Wurtz, Maroni, Maroni's driver, the officer Joker killed guarding Dent and Dent himself.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #66
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,885
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Dent isn't a cop. I guess we'll just have to assume Gordon meant "people on the side of the law" when he said cops though, cause that's as close to an explanation as we can garner.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #67
BlackFox
Kuzuri
 
BlackFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: in a beserker rage
Posts: 2,381
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Dang...am I the only one that loves TDKR more everytime I watch it? Lol.
No note alone.........there is another

BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #68
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 35,582
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Dent isn't a cop. I guess we'll just have to assume Gordon meant "people on the side of the law" when he said cops though, cause that's as close to an explanation as we can garner.
Wurtz and the Cop in the hospital. There's your two Cops.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #69
kthevs
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 470
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3


kthevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #70
3-D
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 77
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Hahaha, that is hilarious.

3-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #71
Pontillo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Me too, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Dang...am I the only one that loves TDKR more everytime I watch it? Lol.

Pontillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #72
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff
 
GregComicFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

I saw TDKR for a second time at a legit IMAX theater (one of the jumbo screens)... the movie was better the second time around. The only real complaint about the movie I had on the first view was pacing (ie. Bruce returning to Gotham from the pit so quickly).... the second viewing had a much better pacing because I was already aware of what was going to happen in the movie. I think my only complaint is I still think a 3rd Batman movie in-between TDK and TDKR should of occurred... with Gordon actually getting to BE commissioner Gordon, trying to catch Batman while simultaneously assisting him, covering up Two-Face's death, ... I love how Nolan interprets the villains so I want to see more villains from him... Batman could of fought another villain after the Joker AND THEN decided to quit and go into hiding...

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #73
TheNolan
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 22
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

3.5 out of 5.

TheNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #74
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,496
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthevs View Post
Lol.

Although not finding batman's body would be expected after the bomb, bruce wayne's apparent death would have to be seen as shady. Aside from the no body he was once declared dead before only to return.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #75
munchie64
I'm NOT Batman
 
munchie64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,288
Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Well it can be assumed MANY rich people died during Bane's takeover.

__________________
In 2005 the night began. In 2008 the night was at its darkest. In 2012 the dawn will rise.

I like: The Star Wars prequels, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, X-men 3, the Pirates sequels, and Indiana Jones 4.
WARNING! My opinion might be invalid!
munchie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.