The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #76
OB12
Side-Kick

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

To me, the problem with a SHIELD show is that SHIELD is already to tightly integrated with the Avengers and they really deal on a more global scale. If they go with something like Heroes for Hire, they could expand the universe of characters, provide commentary on the larger cinematic goings-on, and still have some interaction with SHIELD.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #77
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
To me, the problem with a SHIELD show is that SHIELD is already to tightly integrated with the Avengers and they really deal on a more global scale. If they go with something like Heroes for Hire, they could expand the universe of characters, provide commentary on the larger cinematic goings-on, and still have some interaction with SHIELD.
I agree, in addition to the fact that the SHIELD depicted on a weekly television show would be diminished in relation to what had been shown in the MCU. Casual viewers might turn in to see the the massive floating base, the one-eyed director and the arrow toting assasin and come away disappointed. SHIELD should play a role in the series, but closer to the Agency's role in Iron Man as a powerful secret orginization keeping close tabs on the newly formed "Heroes for Hire" investigation/detective/security agency.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #78
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I agree, in addition to the fact that the SHIELD depicted on a weekly television show would be diminished in relation to what had been shown in the MCU. Casual viewers might turn in to see the the massive floating base, the one-eyed director and the arrow toting assasin and come away disappointed. SHIELD should play a role in the series, but closer to the Agency's role in Iron Man as a powerful secret orginization keeping close tabs on the newly formed "Heroes for Hire" investigation/detective/security agency.
We've only seen the core of what SHIELD is. We haven't seen the sub groups. The smaller teams that are sent out into the world to take care of the smaller issues.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #79
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post

If the TV show focuses more on the MKU (Marvel Knights Universe) than the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), I agree with this presentation....i.e., HFH.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #80
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

So, let's see.. I see Whedon staying away from Blade because of the inevitable Buffy/Angel comparison...then again, it could be a compelling challenge to explore vampire/monster hunting from a totally-different, largely un-romantic protagonist's POV.. Punisher would be a challenge beyond belief to keep it PG-14 for TV but could still be fun if they took cues from the original Ennis run.. Gnucci family, etc.
Runaways would seem to be in his wheelhouse, though a TV run (mostly) sacrifices any notions of a movie franchise.. okay there was the x-files movie, but...
Power Pack starts off with kids much younger than the Buffy gang. not sure if he's ultra-interested in the concept.. but a TV version [provided they cast age-appropriate] means that their ages wouldn't (naturally) jump drastically between films..
Cloak and Dagger doesn't have as many core characters compared to Runaways (how many of them are there, 6?), and doesn't have a deep-well of core villains, so there's plenty of room to develop new adversaries (which could have the Harley Quinn effect of appearing in comics..) A drawback could be retread comparisons to the Buffy & Angel relationship (plucky, teen blonde teams up with morose, vampiric good guy)..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #81
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I agree that a TV-sized SHIELD "sub group" would be disappointing to casual viewers who would equate SHIELD with Fury. Of those listed by Hypestyle, Runaways is the most Whedon-esque, with its action girl-heavy teen drama. He even had a run in Runaways (though it was rushed and unfinished, I think it was while he was working on Wonder Woman). But that doesn't really fit with the MCU so much.

I'm really seeing Misty Knight and Colleen Wing happening, guys.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #82
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ I don't think a SHIELD show has to have Fury in it. He could just be an ominous presence that's always mentioned but never shown as a "mysterious boss" type character. I think just having Coulson play the lead is enough. His character would be more than strong enough to lead the show in Fury's stead and probably do one even better.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #83
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
^ I don't think a SHIELD show has to have Fury in it. He could just be an ominous presence that's always mentioned but never shown as a "mysterious boss" type character. I think just having Coulson play the lead is enough. His character would be more than strong enough to lead the show in Fury's stead and probably do one even better.
As much as I like Coulson, there's no reason to put him on TV, even in a hypothetical SHIELD show. Not unless you "prequel" the Avengers in it, in which case you're probably not going for the recruit-a-hero format, so no thanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #84
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I agree that a TV-sized SHIELD "sub group" would be disappointing to casual viewers who would equate SHIELD with Fury. Of those listed by Hypestyle, Runaways is the most Whedon-esque, with its action girl-heavy teen drama. He even had a run in Runaways (though it was rushed and unfinished, I think it was while he was working on Wonder Woman). But that doesn't really fit with the MCU so much.

I'm really seeing Misty Knight and Colleen Wing happening, guys.
Alongside Luke Cage and Danny Rand, you mean

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #85
ares834
Side-Kick

Heroes for Hire is the way to go with this. I also pray they can get Hercules into this somehow...

Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #86
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Alongside Luke Cage and Danny Rand, you mean
Alongside as in "Buffy is alongside Spike," yeah. I think I'd prefer LC and IF front and center, but I don't think they will be. Whedon could surprise me though. My favorite series of his (Firefly) has a male lead, even though it has a more female stars. But then again you also have the issue where LC and IF would appear as ersatz Daughters of the Dragon. Strong black figure, lithe martial artist. That'd have to be played with on some level.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #87
Chewy
REDACTED

Angel had a male lead too. I don't think the gender of the lead is really an issue if there's a story to tell

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #88
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Well, yeah, there's definitely not an "issue," I'm just looking at Joss Whedon's preference/pattern. Based on the shows he's made. If he has free reign, he seems just more likely to do a Carol Danvers show than Luke and Danny. My only real point is that Whedon will take more into consideration than the easiest/ripest/most logical thing to translate, but his particular storytelling style will have to do with what characters are front and center, and the show will be better for it.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #89
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

I prefer Moon Knight for the 1st TV series, but damn NBC has to screw up first with The Cape.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #90
The Guard
Side-Kick

The smart thing to do would be to just make a MARVELS or a SHIELD show. This could encompass SHIELD and various other characters, and possibility build interest for a SHIELD feature film.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #91
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I've really been thinking... and kinda hoping. With "Item 47" coming out on the avengers dvd next month, and it telling a story of average citizen essentially becoming villains robbing banks with the chitari tech.. a great theme to explore. I wonder if this is a "test" for a precursor for a television series?

1) Lizzy Kaplan is to great and fun of an actress to waste

2) it's sorta taking a theme we have never seen in a film or television show ... it's showing the POV of a civilian in this "super" world. Much like the acclaimed book "MARVELS" did...

I think this would be genius because you really wouldn't have to worry too much about getting the heroes from a show to be in a movie, it'd be a great way to introduce lesser known heroes, it'd also be a great way to merge the worlds together... (if sony agreed, or if it matters because it's on tv and not film) maybe call the film "The Bugle" or "Front Line" or just simply "Marvels" it'd be a great way to handle a lot of things from damage control, to marvel's top reporters, etc...

i think it'd be pretty brilliant. And Joss would do wonders with writting a show like that.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #92
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

The Pulse maybe?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #93
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

I think another route he/MCU/Disney could go is feature different people each wk like the old tv show 'The Name of the Game' (1968 to 1971)

Quote:
The Name of the Game rotated among three characters working at Howard Publications,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nam...28TV_series%29

Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #94
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I've really been thinking... and kinda hoping. With "Item 47" coming out on the avengers dvd next month, and it telling a story of average citizen essentially becoming villains robbing banks with the chitari tech.. a great theme to explore. I wonder if this is a "test" for a precursor for a television series?

2) it's sorta taking a theme we have never seen in a film or television show ... it's showing the POV of a civilian in this "super" world. Much like the acclaimed book "MARVELS" did...

I think this would be genius because you really wouldn't have to worry too much about getting the heroes from a show to be in a movie, it'd be a great way to introduce lesser known heroes, it'd also be a great way to merge the worlds together... (if sony agreed, or if it matters because it's on tv and not film) maybe call the film "The Bugle" or "Front Line" or just simply "Marvels" it'd be a great way to handle a lot of things from damage control, to marvel's top reporters, etc...

i think it'd be pretty brilliant. And Joss would do wonders with writting a show like that.
This a great idea and maybe a sidebar story of telling who Thanos/Adam Warlock is/are whatever.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #95
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Eh, I really wouldn't be interested in watching a tv show about regular people who happen to exist in the MCU. What'd be the point? To watch people who occasionally mention "Oh, hey, did you hear about what Iron Man did the other day?" *yawn* I want to see a show about something, not a show which is about people talking about something.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #96
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Eh, I really wouldn't be interested in watching a tv show about regular people who happen to exist in the MCU. What'd be the point? To watch people who occasionally mention "Oh, hey, did you hear about what Iron Man did the other day?" *yawn* I want to see a show about something, not a show which is about people talking about something.
Go read MARVELS, or a Pulse or Frontline comic. the show would be your typical television drama that'd introdue the audience to lesser characters as well as interweave stories from the movies.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #97
OB12
Side-Kick

You are talking about people reacting and providing commentary on the fallout of the Avengers. That's great, I like it, but you can do the same thing with HfH. Luke Cage and Iron Fist could provide that commentary because they are the guys on the street, trying to make a living while helping the little guy. You could have Cage and Fist have to deal with a criminal network that has acquired some of the Chitauri weapons. The Avengers have brought the world back from the brink, but in the aftermath there is still work to be done to clean up a world that is still in turmoil. That's where HfH comes in. One of the seasonal arcs could be tracking down this criminal network that is now using this advanced weaponry to become more powerful and influential.

Last edited by OB12; 08-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #98
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

You can't hinge the entire MCU on "fallout from the Avengers," though. Yeah, Item 47 is interesting, but I'd hate like hell to see the TV show devolve into salvaging stray Chitauri leftovers from the invasion.

It's not rocket science, people: average audiences hear that there's a TV show from Marvel about Marvel set in the Marvel universe, so whaddya think they're going to want to see? You get three guesses, and if "superheroes" and "supervillains" don't constitute your first two answers, then you're already wrong.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about the mundanes. The show needs to be about supers. Period.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #99
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post

I've actually been thinking for some years now that i would like to see a tv show called Marvel or Marvels set during the golden age when the heroes first started to appear, sort of Mad Men meets Heroes, with Phill Sheldon as the main character.

A scene like this on a tv show would be reall cool

To have the Torch work on a tv budget they could make him human most of the times and not use too much of his flames so as to not burn his clothes. The golden age also had a lot of street crime fighters and this could be explored.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #100
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
You can't hinge the entire MCU on "fallout from the Avengers," though. Yeah, Item 47 is interesting, but I'd hate like hell to see the TV show devolve into salvaging stray Chitauri leftovers from the invasion.

It's not rocket science, people: average audiences hear that there's a TV show from Marvel about Marvel set in the Marvel universe, so whaddya think they're going to want to see? You get three guesses, and if "superheroes" and "supervillains" don't constitute your first two answers, then you're already wrong.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about the mundanes. The show needs to be about supers. Period.
I agree with that. The show needs to have superheroes versus supervillians on some scale. That's why HfH works so well, they can do all those things. They can deal with the mystery-of-the-week, they can deal with the criminal underground, they can square off against lower-level supervillians, and they can help deal with the ramifications of The Avengers. All while trying to make a living but more times than not, getting no compensation for the help they are providing.

Closed Thread