The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

View Poll Results: Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?
Captain America 9 5.56%
Iron Man 17 10.49%
Thor 7 4.32%
Hulk 5 3.09%
Black Widow 19 11.73%
Hawkeye 24 14.81%
Nick Fury 20 12.35%
Maria Hill 26 16.05%
A new Avenger (please specify) 3 1.85%
A new SHIELD agent (please specify) 1 0.62%
Other (please specify) 6 3.70%
No one! 25 15.43%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #176
catintheengine
Registered Rhymnicologist

Default Re: Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Because Ultron is A.I. too, while he takes over the networks he may take over Jarvis, or Jarvis can sacrifice himself while trying to destroy Ultron.
I can actually see that working quite well. Something with Tony telling J.A.R.V.I.S. to put up firewalls or something and J.A.R.V.I.S. replying that Ultron is getting through or something and that options are extremely limited, there needs to be a reactionary firewall, etc. etc.

Then Tony asks J.A.R.V.I.S. for an update and there's just silence.

An interesting way to kill of a character without actually killing off one of the humans.

catintheengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #177
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by catintheengine View Post
I can actually see that working quite well. Something with Tony telling J.A.R.V.I.S. to put up firewalls or something and J.A.R.V.I.S. replying that Ultron is getting through or something and that options are extremely limited, there needs to be a reactionary firewall, etc. etc.

An interesting way to kill of a character without actually killing off one of the humans.
Yeah, something like that would work
And people already know JARVIS since the very first MCU movie so for some it could be a shock and show that Ultron is a threat.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #178
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Should be a multi-vote poll.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #179
catintheengine

Quote:
Yeah, something like that would work
And people already know JARVIS since the very first MCU movie so for some it could be a shock and show that Ultron is a threat.
It could also be an emotional scene, not just for the character of Tony, but for the audience as well.

To use a crude similarity, it's like when they kill off a dog in a movie. The movie might have several human deaths in it, but as soon as you see a dog die, people start losing it.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #180
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
It could also be an emotional scene, not just for the character of Tony, but for the audience as well.

To use a crude similarity, it's like when they kill off a dog in a movie. The movie might have several human deaths in it, but as soon as you see a dog die, people start losing it.
Yeah, i was thinking about that similarity too

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #181
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:

I really like this idea. I would also love to see this because it might get Tony back into the Mark I armor (although apparently that's destroyed in IM3, unless he rebuilds his whole armory).

Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #182
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
If Ultron is the villain of Avengers 2 then why not kill J.A.R.V.I.S.
Quote:

Dude! Best idea I've seen in this thread! People keep saying that Ultron is too specific of a villain to Hank Pym for a balanced Avengers sequel, but stuff like this makes me think Ultron is evil enough to make it personal for every member of the team!

And then.. and then.. for the comic book resurrectionists out there.. Ultron can reboot J.A.R.V.I.S. as Vision?!?! Hehe. Sorry, I'm being silly.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #183
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I think someone had mentioned that Paul Bettany should play Vision after the Ultron stuff is over. I know a lot of people don't like the whole "kill a character just to bring them back" nonsense. But I always liked that idea.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #184
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Nah, they have to kill off a REAL person. JARVIS isnt even a true AI, just a fancy operating system with a voice interface.

And I'm sure Tony has a backup disk lying around somewhere. Sorry, one of the heroes has to die. Its like mandatory now.

Maria Hill, or some other glorified "red shirt", doesnt count either. Has to be one of the main heroes.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #185
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Nah, they have to kill off a REAL person. JARVIS isnt even a true AI, just a fancy operating system with a voice interface.

And I'm sure Tony has a backup disk lying around somewhere. Sorry, one of the heroes has to die. Its like mandatory now.

Maria Hill, or some other glorified "red shirt", doesnt count either. Has to be one of the main heroes.
Uh oh, looks like Joss Whedon has infiltrated this thread! =)

I dunno, JARVIS has a good amount of personality for a fancy operating system. More personality than Black Widow in IM2 or Hawkeye in Avengers, that's for sure.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #186
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Okay Im busted. My posts will have to be much snarkier from now on.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #187
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Uh oh, looks like Joss Whedon has infiltrated this thread! =)

I dunno, JARVIS has a good amount of personality for a fancy operating system. More personality than Black Widow in IM2 or Hawkeye in Avengers, that's for sure.
"What was I thinking, you're usually so discreet."

Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #188
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
"What was I thinking, you're usually so discreet."
Exactly. Even his "Sir, should I try Ms. Potts?" was dripping with reverent emotion and sympathy!

The death of J.A.R.V.I.S. in an Ultron story could be very powerful, real person or not. Let's not forget how people cried when a volleyball floated away in Cast Away.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #189
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Exactly. Even his "Sir, should I try Ms. Potts?" was dripping with reverent emotion and sympathy!

The death of J.A.R.V.I.S. in an Ultron story could be very powerful, real person or not. Let's not forget how people cried when a volleyball floated away in Cast Away.
Actually I'm kind of curious how Jarvis will even play a role any longer after the Extremis plot in IM3. Assuming its true to the comics, Stark will mentally control the suit. Does this mean him and Jarvis will have a mental link?!!? lol idk. food for thought.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #190
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Actually I'm kind of curious how Jarvis will even play a role any longer after the Extremis plot in IM3. Assuming its true to the comics, Stark will mentally control the suit. Does this mean him and Jarvis will have a mental link?!!? lol idk. food for thought.
I'm sure they could make it work and keep the JARVIS connection with the suit.

I just hope they don't have Tony kick JARVIS to the curb, causing JARVIS to turn into a vengeful sentient being bent on the destruction of humanity...

Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #191
Chewy
REDACTED

I'm terrified that he's going to kill Rocket Raccoon

DON'T DO IT, JOSS. NO ONE WILL EVER FORGIVE YOU

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #192
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Okay I think the Mouse would put his foot down over that one. Rocket is probably safe.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #193
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Because Ultron is A.I. too, while he takes over the networks he may take over Jarvis, or Jarvis can sacrifice himself while trying to destroy Ultron.
But then Tony would just invent the software again. He wouldn't really die.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #194
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Yeah "killing" Jarvis doesnt count. And killing Maria Hill or some other non-team member wouldnt have much impact. It has to be full-fledged Avenger, or an Avenger's girlfriend (doubtful).

It has to really really hurt if its gonna be truly "Whedonesque". Something to make the audience gasp in unison, followed by "oh no"'s (think Wash's exit in Serenity).

Im just having fun with this btw. Its not essential that one of the Avengers die in the fillm. But I'm okay with it if thats what Whedon want's to do.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 08-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #195
catintheengine

I'd saying killing JARVIS off in the second movie works just fine.

Here's my reasoning: Whedon is a smart storyteller. He is fully aware that people familiar with his work expect him to kill off lovable characters. It's what he does. He's like the grim reaper of Hollywood (not in the Michael Bay "I'm going to butcher everything you loved about the 80's" kind of way).

But no director wants to become predictable. No storyteller wants to become predictable.

I actually agree that we will, eventually, have to see one of the major heroes fall. That's what gives us a sense that the stakes are raised. That sacrifice actually had to be made.

So, my prediction would be that Whedon will kill off a 'non-character' in Avengers 2. Someone like JARVIS is a prime candidate. I know I used the dog simile earlier, but I think it does apply. It's the same reason Coulson was killable in the first movie - he was a likable character, even though we hardly knew him. I wouldn't expect a major character to die until the third movie.

However, there is a significant chance that we may see Nick Fury bite it in the next movie, depending on if Whedon wants to go for a downbeat at the end of the film.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #196
cleverusername8
Or something like that

I don't think the general audience has enough reason to care about Hawkeye for Whedon to kill him off with sufficient emotional effect. Likewise, the new characters that come with Phase II probably wouldn't be as meaningful either.

To these points I say either Nick Fury or Hulk.

Fury has been there from the beginning and as others have said, he is the reason why the Avengers are together in the first place making him a symbol. Killing him off would be like burning the flag of the superheroes. SHIELD would temporarily fall to pieces and the heroes would be impacted as well.

Hulk would also work because the general audience went crazy over him. Aside from that, he is the one that would probably stand the best chance against Thanos out of the original six. Having him die first would show howuch Thanos doesnt play around amd sort of take away one of the team's strongest points which would raise the stakes.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #197
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername8 View Post
Hulk would also work because the general audience went crazy over him. Aside from that, he is the one that would probably stand the best chance against Thanos out of the original six. Having him die first would show howuch Thanos doesnt play around amd sort of take away one of the team's strongest points which would raise the stakes.
Actually Thor has always been the one who put up the best fight against Thanos, even fighting him one on one.

Idk why

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #198
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

Thing is, if they intend to keep at this Cinematic Universe, I don't really want big characters like Fury, Hawkeye and Hulk being killed off this early. Smaller characters, like Couslon, were fine because they weren't big characters that could make an impact or their own film, etc.

Killing big characters now, unless you bring them back to life, taking away completely from other deaths ("they'll be back soon, in a few movies hwne they need him/her") would really be Marvel kicking themselves in the foot.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #199
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
Thing is, if they intend to keep at this Cinematic Universe, I don't really want big characters like Fury, Hawkeye and Hulk being killed off this early. Smaller characters, like Couslon, were fine because they weren't big characters that could make an impact or their own film, etc.

Killing big characters now, unless you bring them back to life, taking away completely from other deaths ("they'll be back soon, in a few movies hwne they need him/her") would really be Marvel kicking themselves in the foot.
Yeah that's why I say save any major deaths for The Avengers 2 or atleast the very end of A2.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #200
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

As long as it's well done, I suppose a smaller caharcter could be alright. But people who are saying they should kill off Stark or Cap are silly.

Also...