The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #101
DeadPresident29
Newbie First Class

Default Re: The Story. - Part 1

I suppose this is an appropriate enough topic to post this question in:

I'm not familiar with the Superman comics in the least, even less so the number of story arcs/complexities they consist of. So my question is mainly aimed at anyone with quite a history of interest in the comics. After all that mumbling, here's the question: Among the dedicated and long-serving fans, would a single movie be preferred to a potential trilogy/number of sequels considering the risks associated with each?

I ask mainly in relation to people mentioning Jimmy and his potential to be properly explored, a trilogy would probably give a lot more opportunity for auxiliary characters to be given proper exposure and satisfy the most fans?

DeadPresident29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #102
X Knight
Saber Class

I want a trilogy or multiple movies that cover a well written story arc.

Superman deserves more than just a one-and-done movie.

however, I want each movie to feel satisfying in its own right and not just feel like it's merely setting up a sequel ( like say.......Prometheus or Amazing Spider-man ).

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #103
8wid
Banned User

Would anyone be for any type of Kryptonite other than the green kind, such as red to which can make Superman angry and aggressive in some way.

8wid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #104
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Not for this movie. But it would be cool to see that eventually.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #105
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
Would anyone be for any type of Kryptonite other than the green kind, such as red to which can make Superman angry and aggressive in some way.
Red shapeshifts.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #106
X Knight
Saber Class

I'd rather they stay away from the multi-colored Kryptonite crystals and just stick with green.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #107
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Wouldn't be opposed to using it somewhere in the franchise. But wouldn't mind if they left it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Red shapeshifts.
Huh?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #108
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Red Kryptonite gives random effects, but they are usually confined to shapeshifting.

Someone posted about Red making Superman angry, but it is usually Black that strips people of their sanity.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #109
Alchemy Arcade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Personally I'd like them stay with Green Kryptonite and focus on a bigger storyline, no point in convoluting things any more with multiple forms of Kryptonite, unless it can be sprinkled into the story well.

However, even though Superman III was an atrocity imo, I did enjoy the apathetic Supes via Red Kryptonite.

Alchemy Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #110
tomoe
Side-Kick

I'd rather them just stick to green kryptonite too. I especially absolutely do not want to see red or any kryptonite that changes his personality. The thing I most hated about Superman 3 was seeing jerk/angry/drunk borderline evil Superman. In my view it tarnishes his image; what he does 'under the influence' is unforgivable even if he's being affected because it's still him doing it. The reason Superman's my favorite is because he's very close to a perfect white knight and I don't want to see any dark side that makes him do something stupid or unforgivable. Not that he shouldn't ever feel angry or depressed or negative but that should always be balanced and overcome by his goodness and kindness.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #111
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Red Kryptonite gives random effects, but they are usually confined to shapeshifting.

Someone posted about Red making Superman angry, but it is usually Black that strips people of their sanity.
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah Red K has a history of completely unpredictable effects, even on LnC.

It's only Smallville that consistently had it affect his self control and make him agressive and impulsive.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #112
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I'd rather them just stick to green kryptonite too. I especially absolutely do not want to see red or any kryptonite that changes his personality. The thing I most hated about Superman 3 was seeing jerk/angry/drunk borderline evil Superman. In my view it tarnishes his image; what he does 'under the influence' is unforgivable even if he's being affected because it's still him doing it. The reason Superman's my favorite is because he's very close to a perfect white knight and I don't want to see any dark side that makes him do something stupid or unforgivable. Not that he shouldn't ever feel angry or depressed or negative but that should always be balanced and overcome by his goodness and kindness.
kind of weird that you feel that way lol

do you also hate cyclops for trying to kill jean in x men 2?

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #113
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Irrelevant, contrived if not right and probably too similar to SMIII, but you could possibly get a story where Lex synthesizes Kryptonite to affect Superman's behaviour in the worst way, in the attempt to destroy the world's trust and admiration for him. And in a world where they're treating the arrival of an Alien more realistically than the previous movies, it could be done in a really awesome way.

It could be done by Lex because he thinks the world has gone mad by looking up to an Alien! and this is his way to bring the world back to the way it should be, and so everybody will look up to him, as they rightfuly should be doing, but they're not.

Kryptonite to me is generally misused in storylines just as a convenient way to fill time. Use it for a GOOD reason and not just out of convenience. The way they did it in SR was pretty good, but the way they used it in SMIII was wasted.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated

Last edited by Rodrigo90; 08-14-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #114
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
kind of weird that you feel that way lol

do you also hate cyclops for trying to kill jean in x men 2?
I loved X2, but I did not like how many of the characters were so easily controlled. However, I'm not as big a fan of Xmen as I am of Superman so it didn't bother me so much that I didn't enjoy the movie. With Superman though, it would ruin the movie for me. To me, he should have a mental strength just as or almost as strong as his physical strength to be able to resist such 'mind control' devices.

Also, how could the world ever trust him completely if he goes nuts under the influence. If he is so easily affected by red or black or whatever kryptonite, he would be like a ticking time bomb to them and always be feared, which is the opposite of how he should be viewed.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #115
Project862006
Banned User

^never liked how easily public embraced superman in the first place in donnor's take

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #116
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
^never liked how easily public embraced superman in the first place in donnor's take
Oh, I agree about that. It's fine and understandable that the public fears or does not embrace him initially. I just don't think their reason to fear him should stem from something BAD that he did. They could fear him because he's an alien, he is different, he has extraordinary powers but not because he juggled babies for the fun of it under the influence.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #117
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

And with that I would not recommend the last episodes of STAS.

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #118
tomoe
Side-Kick

Nope, did not like those last few episodes at all. Why does it seem unacceptable for Batman to be mind controlled but acceptable for Superman? I do not like how Superman seems to be portrayed as inferior in this aspect. He should be just as strong willed and clever. I remember watching their animated team-up and Superman was portrayed as such a moron ugh.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #119
Zionite1
Side-Kick

I truly hated their animated team ups.Superman was always potrayed as such an idiot all to make Batman shine.I fear this might happen in a Jl movie.

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #120
Ravage
Side-Kick

Trilogy would be fine. Not sure about how second one with most possibly Brainiac will go but third one can definitely use Luthor as the creator of Doomsday (as some incarnations did) for "hero dies?" factor.

Can also make an outstanding villain out of Luthor if they use it correctly. I always loved that Luthor in Azzarello's Man Of Steel. He wasnt your everyday intelligent cocky plotting Superman killer wannabe with money, he was just a simple human with enough resources who cant accept living in a world where humanity relies on an alien.

Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #121
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I'm kind of hoping the black kryptonite is refined into the classic green type-and that it gets used sparingly. The idea of one piece of kryptonite existing in the whole world makes that one piece a true macguffin with actual value; if you can just dig one out of the earth in Hoboken, New Jersey, something's wrong.

And I really want to see an amalgamated Luthor. I want a genius who's got some science skills combined with an immense private fortune and powerful company, and I want him ot have a very public presence.

godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #122
Bren
Forevernoob

I really don't mind Batman being a better strategist and detective (Clark IS an investigative journalist), but in terms of a villian needing to take out the team, it should be most obvious they must dedicate the most effort to neutralizing Superman first. And end up underestimating both of them, not just Batman.

Anyway, can't bloody wait for this film!!!

Bren is offline   Reply With Quote