The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #26
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

I think we can judge whether things like Lex's powersuit will work after we've seen MOS.

I mean, I can't see it ever having worked in Nolan's Bat franchise.

But in MOS, we do know that Zod is wearing a mo-cap suit at some point in the film, so that may be a strong sign that in this world, battle suits could work just fine.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
The Watchman
Balls McGee

With the success of Iron Man, I can see a Battle Suit working for Luthor in MoS, though I prefer a much different approach to the character.

I just blue myself
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Hmmm, they might even take it a step further and combine Lex and Metallo at some point, maybe in the last sequel should they make a trilogy. Might be a bit much though.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #29
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Nah, I'd rather Lex combined with Brainiac if that were the case.

I can definitely see Lex in his battlesuit, though.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Joel Kinnaman

Robocop? I've never considered him, but he definitely looks like he could pull it off. Since I haven't seen him act, I can't be certain.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Nah, I'd rather Lex combined with Brainiac if that were the case.
I dunno. Has that ever been done and done successfully?

I prefer Brainiac to be independent so to speak. Why would he need a human vessel?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dunno. Has that ever been done and done successfully?

I prefer Brainiac to be independent so to speak. Why would he need a human vessel?
Not sure about the comics. It was done in the JL show, and they did it successfully imo. I forgot exactly why Brainiac did it, though. I think it was because he was in need of a vessel while his new body was being constructed.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 08-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Richard Pryor.

Just kidding. How old is Lex supposed to be in Man of Steel by the way? That would definitely have an effect on who I would personally cast as a dream actor for Lex.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

I know this may be blasphemy but... I hope we don't see Lex Luthor at all in MoS or it's sequels.

He's been done to death over the past 30-40 years. He needs a break.

Superman has other enemies that need some screen time.

The most I'd be ok with is if Lex was the behind-the-scenes puppet master villain. Like if the next film had Metallo as the main baddie, Lex should be the hidden wiizard behind the curtain, you know?

Imagine if Joker had been done as often as Lex... I think we'd all be sick of him by now. I'm surprised more people aren't sick of Lex. He's a great character when done right, mind you. I just... I want to see Braniac, or Doomsday, or Darkseid, or Parasite or Metallo. Not more Lex. Not as the main baddie, anyway.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #35
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I know this may be blasphemy but... I hope we don't see Lex Luthor at all in MoS or it's sequels.

He's been done to death over the past 30-40 years. He needs a break.

Superman has other enemies that need some screen time.

The most I'd be ok with is if Lex was the behind-the-scenes puppet master villain. Like if the next film had Metallo as the main baddie, Lex should be the hidden wiizard behind the curtain, you know?

Imagine if Joker had been done as often as Lex... I think we'd all be sick of him by now. I'm surprised more people aren't sick of Lex. He's a great character when done right, mind you. I just... I want to see Braniac, or Doomsday, or Darkseid, or Parasite or Metallo. Not more Lex. Not as the main baddie, anyway.
Believe me a lot of fans are sick of him and a lot of fans are happy that Lex probably isn't in Man of Steel at all. I'm fine with him being in sequels but I don't ever think that he should be the sole villain in sequels because I like physical matches in my Superhero movies.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #36
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Lex is more than just a villain. He's amember of Superman's supporting cast, just like Lois, Jimmy and Perry.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

And he's never been done RIGHT in movies. EVER. That is precisely why I'm not sick of him. The wisecracking real estate scammer? Yeah, f*** that guy. But the brilliant billionaire industrialist and scientist with an uncontrollable disdain for the Man of Steel that drives him to do unthinkable acts? Yeah, we haven't seen that guy. They tried to add a little bit of those elements with Spacey's Lex, but he still came off like a tool. I want the REAL Lex Luthor. The guy who can be a charming media darling one minute and then will turn on a dime and strangle one of his goons to death for failing him.

The closest we ever got to a true Lex was Rosenbaum on Smallville, but that show fell apart just when it was getting good.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #38
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
And he's never been done RIGHT in movies. EVER. That is precisely why I'm not sick of him. The wisecracking real estate scammer? Yeah, f*** that guy. But the brilliant billionaire industrialist and scientist with an uncontrollable disdain for the Man of Steel that drives him to do unthinkable acts? Yeah, we haven't seen that guy. They tried to add a little bit of those elements with Spacey's Lex, but he still came off like a tool. I want the REAL Lex Luthor. The guy who can be a charming media darling one minute and then will turn on a dime and strangle one of his goons to death for failing him.
This. I had the same reaction to everyone who was "sick of Catwoman" before TDKR. I was like, Pfeiffer was awesome, but that wasn't the Selina Kyle I know, and the POS Halle Berry movie definitely was NOT Catwoman. So no, I didn't think we'd seen enough of Catwoman, and I'm SO glad Anne Hathaway was able to give general audiences another perception of the character.

Same goes for Lex. We haven't seen the definitive Lex Luthor in live-action. I think the closest we got was John Shea in L&C, cheesy as that show was. Rosenbaum had the brilliant, Machiavellian billionaire part down, but he didn't have the "public charmer" aspect at all (because his character wasn't written that way). Shea's Luthor, while still portrayed on the cartoonish level of that show, was a charming, brilliant, and a self-made billionaire industrialist who was beloved by the public, and had a true, viscous hatred of Superman going on because of what he represented to him. And he had the whole world fooled except Superman. That's who Lex Luthor should be, imo. Just, ya know, a less cheesy version of it, lol.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 08-23-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #39
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I'm of the opinion Luthor needs a movie to evolve into the super-villain we all love to fear. Suggest his presence in MOS, have him introduced as a sinister supporting character in the sequel who is obviously prepping for his war with Superman, and then carries it out in the third movie. And when I say war, I mean WAR; a conflict both immensely personal and physical involving a huge amount of collateral damage and multiple fronts.

While the Battle-Suit Lex is one of the easiest and coolest ways to bring Lex up to Clark's level, I kind of prefer his more sleek super-scientist suit with gadgets out the wazoo. I could imagine a fight scene built around the idea that Clark is going head to head with a suited Lex, only to discover that Lex isn't in the suit as he is promptly ambushed by a dozen other drones who can go head to head with him.

One of the other things I like about Lex in other media is how he often attacks Superman laterally. Like when he half-seduced the Matrix Supergirl to work for him, or how Geoff John had him create Superboy with the express purpose of getting close to heroes and betraying them. Or when he built Hope to take Superman's place only to manipulate her into deconstructing Superman's principles and proof a point.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
Norminator79
Newbie First Class

i would like to see Billy Zane as Lex

Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #41
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminator79 View Post
i would like to see Billy Zane as Lex
An inspired choice

Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #42
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
This. I had the same reaction to everyone who was "sick of Catwoman" before TDKR. I was like, Pfeiffer was awesome, but that wasn't the Selina Kyle I know, and the POS Halle Berry movie definitely was NOT Catwoman. So no, I didn't think we'd seen enough of Catwoman, and I'm SO glad Anne Hathaway was able to give general audiences another perception of the character.

Same goes for Lex. We haven't seen the definitive Lex Luthor in live-action. I think the closest we got was John Shea in L&C, cheesy as that show was. Rosenbaum had the brilliant, Machiavellian billionaire part down, but he didn't have the "public charmer" aspect at all (because his character wasn't written that way). Shea's Luthor, while still portrayed on the cartoonish level of that show, was a charming, brilliant, and a self-made billionaire industrialist who was beloved by the public, and had a true, viscous hatred of Superman going on because of what he represented to him. And he had the whole world fooled except Superman. That's who Lex Luthor should be, imo. Just, ya know, a less cheesy version of it, lol.
Yeah, I guess Shea was somewhat close, but he always felt a little too cheesy and hammy to me. Then again, when you're acting against a block of wood (Dean Cain) I suppose you have to overcompensate.

But yeah, I totally agree about the Catwoman thing. I don't doubt Nolan might have introduce Selina earlier (possibly in BB or TDK) if that awful Halle Berry movie had never existed.

Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #43
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

TBH, I find being sick of Lex Luthor as ridiculous as saying you're sick of Lois Lane and don't want her to be the love interest at all in this franchise.

I'm fine with him being absent in MOS, I get that (though I still hope they make a reference to Lexcorp, perhaps through Dr. Hamilton). But to not include him in sequels would be really really stupid.

Luthor is basically everything Superman is fighting against, all rolled up into one; greedy, power hungry and untouchable psychopath causing suffering for innocent people with almost every corrupt business deal he makes.

If you take that out, then you have one of two choices 1. You don't include a plot that involves any kind of fight against hidden corruption. Like the Donner films and SR did, where all the villains where independant, the world knew them as villains. Superman was never really the 'champion of the opressed'. 2. You have someone else take Lex's place as the . I guess Intergang could work, but it would be ridiculously similar to Nolan's Bat franchise then, wouldn't it? Or you could use new figures, like that 'Mr Glenmorgan'. But really what would be the point, when Lex is already there with all that history and potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Agree so much with the both of you

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 08-24-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #44
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I agree that I have not been satasfied with the protrayals of Lex in the films but that still doesn't negate me being sick of him. People can praddle on about him being a supporting character till the cows come home but he is not a supporting character like Lois because he is a full blown villan. It's tiresome to see the same main villain in every film, especially when that villain is no physical match for the hero. Call me a dumb action junky if you please but I am not ashamed to say that I like physical threats in my Superhero films and Lex is never that in the films. Thus we got an entire film in 2000 and ****ing 6 in which Superman just lifted heavier and heavier things. Thats fine for a T.V show and a poorly aged 70's flick but it's ****** for a feature film in the 2000's to do only that. And yes I want to see Superman save people as well so I'm not just asking for him to punch some villain for 2 hours. But I will not apologize for wanting to see him confront a physical villain at least two times in a big screen adaption. I'm happy if Lex plays a big part in a sequel if the film is a hit but I still want him paired with a physical threat.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #45
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I agree that I have not been satasfied with the protrayals of Lex in the films but that still doesn't negate me being sick of him. People can praddle on about him being a supporting character till the cows come home but he is not a supporting character like Lois because he is a full blown villan. It's tiresome to see the same main villain in every film, especially when that villain is no physical match for the hero. Call me a dumb action junky if you please but I am not ashamed to say that I like physical threats in my Superhero films and Lex is never that in the films. Thus we got an entire film in 2000 and ****ing 6 in which Superman just lifted heavier and heavier things. Thats fine for a T.V show and a poorly aged 70's flick but it's ****** for a feature film in the 2000's to do only that. And yes I want to see Superman save people as well so I'm not just asking for him to punch some villain for 2 hours. But I will not apologize for wanting to see him confront a physical villain at least two times in a big screen adaption. I'm happy if Lex plays a big part in a sequel if the film is a hit but I still want him paired with a physical threat.
Aside from the part about being sick of him, I agree with most of this. I DO want Lex in these movies, but I definitely want him paired with villains who are a physical threat to Supes. I too really want to see Superman trading blows with people and performing Super acts that don't involved lifting things. I'd prefer Lex to be the guy who hires and teams up with big guns and manipulates the situations behind-the-scenes, rather than just using some form of Kryptonite to become a physical threat to Supes himself. So guess what I'm really sick of, is Kryptonite. I'm not saying it shouldn't have a place in in the MoS universe, but I think they should hold off on introducing it in the franchise for a while, so that when it finally does make an appearance, it'll actually be a big deal.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #46
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I do agree that I want a physical threat to Supes. The thing is though, Lex could be that, or could have been, if they had ever taken the initiative and allowed him to have the kryptonite battle suit or given him some awesome weaponry. I think there's a chance we could see something like that though, especially since Professor Hamilton is in the movie.

But yeah, I also want to see villains that Supes is on an even keep with physically, so hopefully we'll also see Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo and others somewhere down the road.

Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #47
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Well, yeah, I think we can all unanimously agree that Lex should never again be the sole villain of a Superman film.

1. UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Give Me News, Or Get the Hell Out.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #48
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I would have to disagree there, if for example, the film were based on All-Star Superman.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #49
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

That's pretty much what I want for the potential third film; an adaption of All-Star Superman wherein Lex achieves his goal.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #50
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

What I think would be intriguing is a Moriarty-like charachter, similar to the version in BBC's Sherlock. He doesn't have to be a billionaire. He doesn't have to be charming (in a traditional sense). But he could use his mind and offscreen henchmen to screw with Superman the way Moriarty does Sherlock.

You probably have to have seen the show to realize what I'm getting at. But that sort of character would be a true match for Superman. He doesnt need an army or a suit of armor or kyptonite. This type of charachter would think those types if things are beneath him. He would believe his mind is an equal to Superman's strength.

It would require some very creative, thoughtful writers.

Last edited by ElDuderino; 08-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Closed Thread