The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Old 09-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wii U in 'development hell', claims tipster

Geo, you say behind, but I mean I think in 2007 Nintendo surpassed both Sony and Microsoft for videogame hardware and software.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #27
Soapy
It's happening again...

What metric are you using?

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Geo, you say behind, but I mean I think in 2007 Nintendo surpassed both Sony and Microsoft for videogame hardware and software.
Ok, sure the Wii sold an insane amount and Nintendo made a lot of money from it... but it's 2011. A year that saw a huge/early price cut for their new handheld coupled with an actual apology to the owners, and the announcement of a new console that will be on par (possibly slightly ahead) with 7 year old hardware by the time it is released.

I literally have no idea what the last significant 3rd party game for the Wii was.

The idea of a modern console that plays all the best new games and has the new Mario and Zelda sounds fantastic. The problem is, Nintendo is content to target the super casual audience, the ones who bought the Wii in droves and never purchased a game outside of Wii Sports Resort, because they make money on the hardware. Good on them for making money.

As a gamer excited for Skyrim, Uncharted, Battlefield, Arkham City and Zelda, I will be perfectly content to skip the Wii U and wait for the Xbox 3 or the PS4, which is where all the good developers in the industry will focus. I'm not interested in which company is selling more units, I'm interested in the games and owning a system that doesn't collect dust. The Wii has been extremely disappointing to me, and I'm not even close to being alone in that thought.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Nintendo could easily create a console that has graphics on par with MS and Sony, that's obvious. Like I said before, I think they just like to prove a point with their stuff.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #30
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
They didn't use to. They're being as innovative as they always were, it's just that audiences have started favoring style over substance.
It's not just style. There are gameplay-based benefits from a more powerful system. How different do you think Super Mario 64 would have been if they instead released it on the SNES and using a Super FX chip as originally planned?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #31
The Bruce
The First and Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
They have also made me extremely revision aware. I refuse to buy a 3DS because I know they will release a new/better version in a year with better battery, better form and hell possibly with a second circle pad. Why buy a Wii U when in 1-2 years they will release a Wii U Plus that fixes all the issues with the original? It's a weird mentality they have settled into this generation, and I don't much like it.
This is not just a Nintendo problem. How many 360's have MS released since 2005? How about Sony and their PSPs?

The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #32
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Well... That's why I said "on the next Xbox." What better way for Microsoft to get that exclusive content that people say they need than to buy up Nintendo.
Oh hell no. Going 3rd party's fine, but I'll be damned if Nintendo ever gets eaten alive by some soulless conglomerate and loses its identity.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Benstamania
Shot first.

For the record.. I don't think that will ever happen.

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #34
Destructus86
Side-Kick

The Wii had the worst software selection of all three systems.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #35
Dr. House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
The Wii had the worst software selection of all three systems.
there are alot of hidden gems in the wii catalog. the wii just doesnt get respect because of the controller and the gimmicks

Dr. House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. House View Post
there are alot of hidden gems in the wii catalog. the wii just doesnt get respect because of the controller and the gimmicks
This. I have found games I really enjoy, and that are a lot of fun. Mostly they're the games that don't require the controller gimmick. If the WiiU doesn't have the gimmicky motion control, I'll be happy as can be.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #37
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Madworld was THE game back in the day. I know they're bringing it back with Anarchy Reigns.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #38
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

So when is this gentlemen getting his own video game?

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
Ok, sure the Wii sold an insane amount and Nintendo made a lot of money from it... but it's 2011. A year that saw a huge/early price cut for their new handheld coupled with an actual apology to the owners, and the announcement of a new console that will be on par (possibly slightly ahead) with 7 year old hardware by the time it is released.

I literally have no idea what the last significant 3rd party game for the Wii was.

The idea of a modern console that plays all the best new games and has the new Mario and Zelda sounds fantastic. The problem is, Nintendo is content to target the super casual audience, the ones who bought the Wii in droves and never purchased a game outside of Wii Sports Resort, because they make money on the hardware. Good on them for making money.

As a gamer excited for Skyrim, Uncharted, Battlefield, Arkham City and Zelda, I will be perfectly content to skip the Wii U and wait for the Xbox 3 or the PS4, which is where all the good developers in the industry will focus. I'm not interested in which company is selling more units, I'm interested in the games and owning a system that doesn't collect dust. The Wii has been extremely disappointing to me, and I'm not even close to being alone in that thought.
agreed.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #40
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

I personally dont care that much about actual specs. I think spec dick measuring is to justify high price tags and I do not think the games actually use the hardware to its limits. I want games I can enjoy and that includes casual and core games alike. I can play mario then switch to halo no problem.

The Wii lacked big titles but it has some classics there as well. Its a good system at a decent price and FPS games with the wii remote are excellent. Now Nintendo doesnt play to this arms race that is the specs situation which delivers a good system for the price, but I think right now what I want from them is a system where I can play lots of core titles while still being able to play stuff with my fam when they are around instead of having to buy three consoles for different games.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #41
AOElements

As a huge Nintendo fan, i'm really hoping they take the time to develop this console. I dont want any rushed product that needs 100 updates before its ok.
That said, i've been unsure about Wii U since day 1. When the wii came out, i was so excited...but for the first time Nintendo really dissapointed me.
If they manage to pull this off though..it will probably be a huge succsess. But if they have problems..lets just hope they do not release it to early.

But to be honest, i think gaming in general is going a little crazy these days, what happended to the good old times when we only needed a console and a good controller

AOElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #42
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Oh hell no. Going 3rd party's fine, but I'll be damned if Nintendo ever gets eaten alive by some soulless conglomerate and loses its identity.
Agreed, Microsoft is the last company Nintendo would want to be bought by. They'd make a Mario Kinect game for shock value, a gritty Zelda, and in 2 years be making avatar clothes. As much as I'd love a Zelda with Move functionality on a PS4, I realize it would need to be made by Nintendo, as a 3rd party, the way they want to make it. Otherwise it would probably lose it's soul and charm.

StrainedEyes and others already hit my feelings on the Wii U perfectly though. I tried to like my Gamecube, but Mario just doesn't do it for me. While I like Nintendo's handhelds, their consoles only have 1 title I care about (Zelda). Touchscreen, while nifty, won't solely sell the console for me. Neither will having PS3 level graphics as Sony and Microsoft ready to jump next gen, and old ports of Arkham City, and Mass Effect 3 definetly won't (considering I own, and have beat both).

This gen proved my assumptions wrong, so I'm not going to count Nintendo out. However, I think they have an up hill battle. Wii sales cut in half these last few years, and while the 3DS is doing good now, it had a very rocky start requiring a large price drop, and a redesign. Touchscreen is on everything now, so might not catch fire with the casual crowd (who have moved back to phones and Apple anyway). Plus the hardware will be a gen behind at launch. However, Nintendo faithful don't buy for graphics, and the casual crowd is wish washy. So who knows. Nintendo has always marched to their own beat, and may surprise us again.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #43
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Two things, Nintendo will never let itself be bought by Microsoft.

And they've made gritty Zelda games. Majora's Mask being the bleakest.

Quite frankly, these days, we could use some more grittiness in Zelda games.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #44
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Two things, Nintendo will never let itself be bought by Microsoft.

And they've made gritty Zelda games. Majora's Mask being the bleakest.

Quite frankly, these days, we could use some more grittiness in Zelda games.
When I think gritty in terms of games and movies, I think of a more realistic, dirty, abrasive, mature, world of grey's experience. Majora's mask may have had an undertone of impending doom, and an odd hint of sorrow, but I wouldn't call it gritty. Link was still Link, and the NPC's were still exaggerated, colorful charactitures. I've never played Twillight Princess, so I can't comment on it.

A Microsoft gritty version of Zelda would involve a redesigned "cool" Link who talks, doing slow motion blood splattering combos, and grey area moral choices. The setting would probably be steam punk where Link could net a crude gun instead of a boomerang, and Zelda would dress like a ****. Ghanon would probably become a terrorist whose first introduction in blowing up a chunk of the castle with a bomb.

That's what I meant. I agree it won't happen though. It would take Apple joining the race, and a desperate Microsoft shelling out a LOT of cash.

Last edited by Fading; 08-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote