Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #76
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Default Re: The Official Michael Shannon IS General Zod - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
For instance, I dont wanna see Lex building impossible gadgetry solely with earth-materials and means.
What would you consider impossible gadgetry?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #77
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I dunno, maybe Lex somehow creating a wormhole or a portal to access the PZ. Or that "alien" invasion he stages in Birthright. Maybe that'd be a bit of a stretch even for a billionaire.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #78
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
I dunno, maybe Lex somehow creating a wormhole or a portal to access the PZ. Or that "alien" invasion he stages in Birthright. Maybe that'd be a bit of a stretch even for a billionaire.
I like Lex being able to do things like that. It makes it believable that he would be able to do things like generating a clone using Superman's DNA, creating Metallo, building a battlesuit using a fragment of Brainiac's technology, etc. I really want them to go all out for the world's smartest man. Besides, the alien invasion was just holographic technology with some actual mercenaries dressed like Kryptonians thrown in. I think he could afford that, especially when the technology was from Lexcorp to begin with. But I don't like the idea of him staging an invasion anyway... I'd have Darkseid invade Earth in the third movie, while Brainiac infiltrates Earth's technology(including Luthor's) in the second.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #79
TheWatcher
Dapper

It's a Superman movie. Lets not forget that.

-Christian Bale
Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #80
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
To me, it's not so much that the gadgetry's impossible (as Kryptonian tech would prove it isn't), it's that a human scientist could come up with this stuff out of thin air. If Earth can produce a scientist who can come up with these sorts of crazy things, why is the planet still so relatively low-tech? What's the catalyst that leads to all these human mad scientists pulling death rays and teleporters and wormhole generators out of their butts when they weren't before Superman came on the scene?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #81
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Something like that. But there's a fine line between things that stay within the suspension of disbelief-zone and just being plain stupid. That's where a lot of "serious" CHMs fail imo. That balance and not knowing which side to be on.

And yes, this is a movie about Superman, and yes, it has to have some certain ingredients, I suppose. But if you've been keeping up with the production, you'd know they're going new places with him. Dont expect the same old hat here.

Last edited by Rust; 09-01-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #82
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
To me, it's not so much that the gadgetry's impossible (as Kryptonian tech would prove it isn't), it's that a human scientist could come up with this stuff out of thin air. If Earth can produce a scientist who can come up with these sorts of crazy things, why is the planet still so relatively low-tech? What's the catalyst that leads to all these human mad scientists pulling death rays and teleporters and wormhole generators out of their butts when they weren't before Superman came on the scene?
That's because the DC Universe won't be the real world. The technology should be more advanced to fit the world. It's the same thing with Iron Man over at Marvel Studios. The world is still relatively low-tech like you said, and yet Stark is able to create all sorts of gadgetry. Same with S.H.I.E.L.D., who tapped into a cosmic energy source and generated a portal with their technology.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 09-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #83
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Something like that. But there's a fine line between things that stay within the suspension of disbelief-zone and just being plain stupid. That's where a lot of "serious" CHMs fail imo. That balance and not knowing which side to be on.

And yes, this is a movie about Superman, and yes, it has to have some certain ingredients, I suppose. But if you've been keeping up with the production, you'd know they're going new places with him. Dont expect the same old hat here.
Exactly, and we've never seen a Lex Luthor on screen that can create the same technology that he can in the comics. Snyder has said on multiple occasions that this movie would be closer to the comics, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #84
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I actually wonder if Zod in this film will have some sort of grand master plan that involves a device or something other than the standard, "Use my superior strength to defeat and conquer the inhabitants" of Earth approach.

From what we could see or saw from the CC Trailer, there was a shot of some kind of energy beam hitting with something, with countless debris flying around as a result. Some people initially thought that it was a shot of Krypton perhaps being destroyed, but people have been able to notice later that one of the debris shown was a school bus and other earthly looking items. Thus we're lead to potentially wonder if Zod has some type of weapon up his arsenal that he may use to aid in his assault towards Earth.

Also, those who were supposedly involved with the Chicago set have mentioned on how the scenes involving the extras running in fear and looking up in the sky was because of Zod having an actual spaceship to use as well in this film.

A part of me actually thinks that it's possible that Zod in some ways could be comparable to the likes of "Nero" from the recent Star Trek film in terms of characterization, mentality, and even usage of Alien technology.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #85
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I wouldn't be surprised if Zod used the warships from Birthright.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #86
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Maybe it's not a deathray, but rather an alternative to the PZ. One that disolves matter and reassembles it elsewhere. Akin to Brainiac's shrinker.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #87
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Zod used the warships from Birthright.
Indeed.

Heck, not to start any type of DC vs Marvel campaign or discussion, but if the people involved thought big and secured enough money, they could actually do the invasion angle that could rival the scale of "The Avengers".

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #88
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

The Avenger's invasion could easily be rivaled scale-wise, both in size and execution.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #89
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
The Avenger's invasion could easily be rivaled scale-wise, both in size and execution.
Indeed. Given that Snyder is great with visuals and that the guy who's in charge of cinematography of MOS has had some great visual films under his belt (E.G. Transformers 3; while the story and acting was obviously bad.lol, I thought a lot of the scenes and visuals were done well and had a lot of visual depth even), so both know on how to film an well executed action sequence.

And honestly, superman has the powers that could afford him the luxury of taking on such a huge threat alone.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #90
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Just the combination of Nolan, Goyer, Snyder, Mokri and Zimmer is reason enough for anyone to get excited about MOS.

Edit: also WETA and Double Negative doing special effects !

*\S/T*
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #91
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Just the combination of Nolan, Goyer, Snyder, Mokri and Zimmer is reason enough for anyone to get excited about MOS.

Edit: also WETA and Double Negative doing special effects !
Indeed; not to mention the level of talent involved when regarding the cast.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #92
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
And honestly, superman has the powers that could afford him the luxury of taking on such a huge threat alone.
Might take an older more established Supes, but yeah, sure...

Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #93
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
That's because the DC Universe won't be the real world. The technology should be more advanced to fit the world. It's the same thing with Iron Man over at Marvel Studios. The world is still relatively low-tech like you said, and yet Stark is able to create all sorts of gadgetry. Same with S.H.I.E.L.D., who tapped into a cosmic energy source and generated a portal with their technology.
Well, as long as the advanced technology fits within our world, for instance, we see it created, or we know that it came from space, that works just fine. But if some human inventor takes human science and makes something ridiculously superhuman in a limited amount of time, it's going to be a turn off for me, it's going to be cartoony. Stark is making armor and power sources, things we have, he just makes them better. Lex can do stuff like that and not be cartoony to me, but if he starts making homemade phantom zone projectors and teleportation devices and mind control machines, it's going to be whack. If, like the portal with the Tesseract (SHIELD didn't generate that by the way, it was cool that they couldn't understand it fully), Lex takes something alien (ie Superman's DNA, Zod's tech) or whatever and improves on it (Bizzaro, Metallo, etc), that's cool. That makes sense.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #94
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Well, as long as the advanced technology fits within our world, for instance, we see it created, or we know that it came from space, that works just fine. But if some human inventor takes human science and makes something ridiculously superhuman in a limited amount of time, it's going to be a turn off for me, it's going to be cartoony. Stark is making armor and power sources, things we have, he just makes them better. Lex can do stuff like that and not be cartoony to me, but if he starts making homemade phantom zone projectors and teleportation devices and mind control machines, it's going to be whack. If, like the portal with the Tesseract (SHIELD didn't generate that by the way, it was cool that they couldn't understand it fully), Lex takes something alien (ie Superman's DNA, Zod's tech) or whatever and improves on it (Bizzaro, Metallo, etc), that's cool. That makes sense.
But why shouldn't he be able to create something like a teleportation machine? It's something that we're already working on in reality. I understand what you mean by improving already existing technology, and I agree, but something like teleportation should be possible in this universe. Although the homemade phantom zone projector and mind control machine would be lame imo...The MCU will soon have a man that uses a combination of technology and particles to shrink himself; DC needs to start with a bang, because they have a lot of ground to cover scientifically. Since Emil Hamilton will be in MoS, I'm hoping for S.T.A.R. Labs to make an appearance and show off some advanced technology.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #95
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
But why shouldn't he be able to create something like a teleportation machine? It's something that we're already working on in reality.
You're far over selling our abilities with teleportation. We can "teleport" bits of quantum information, but we're centuries away from teleporting actual objects. The data storage and energy requirements are literally astronomical. We're not even close.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #96
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
You're far over selling our abilities with teleportation. We can "teleport" bits of quantum information, but we're centuries away from teleporting actual objects. The data storage and energy requirements are literally astronomical. We're not even close.
I'm not over selling anything. I'm saying that scientists are researching teleportation and working on it, which is true. Of course we're far from being able to do it, that's the point... that doesn't mean that a genius like Lex Luthor wouldn't be able to discover a way to do so.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #97
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not over selling anything. I'm saying that scientists are researching teleportation and working on it, which is true. Of course we're far from being able to do it, that's the point... that doesn't mean that a genius like Lex Luthor wouldn't be able to discover a way to do so.
Working on it =/= Plausible within our lifetimes.

There are geniuses here in the real world too. They haven't figured it out.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #98
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Working on it =/= Plausible within our lifetimes.

There are geniuses here in the real world too. They haven't figured it out.
It doesn't have to be plausible "within our lifetime". Geniuses are working on a lot of things that sci-fi movies have already made possible. My point is that Lex Luthor should be the one to discover how to do so, because he's the smartest man on the planet in the DC Universe when it comes to technology. It's not meant to take place in our world, but in the DC Universe. These are comic-book movies, with science that is more advanced than what he have in reality. If you can't expand your imagination and tolerate a comic-book movie with that type of science, then you don't need to be watching these movies. Simple.

Just like in the Marvel Universe, once again. We don't have the technology to shrink ourselves or objects, and yet we'll have to accept that a man can do so when 2014 comes along. In reality, something like the Hulk wouldn't be possible... yet he exists in that universe. None of these things are plausible or possible at this time, yet that doesn't hold them back from being included in these movies. The DC film universe should follow a similar path.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 09-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #99
moviedoors
Side-Kick

There's a line the Marvel movies too. Yeah, we've got super soldier serums and energy weapons and skull faced Nazi's, but no one's gonna buy a kid as Cap's sidekick in WWII. You can get away with a lot of ridiculous stuff in film, but there has to be a line somewhere. That's half my point.

The other half was just taking umbrage with you implying that inventing teleportation of matter isn't all that far fetched. It just is. It's mindbogglingly far fetched. It's possible, but the energy requirements exceed any system we know of in the universe. Sure, go for teleportation in a comic book movie, but let's not pretend it's not a leap.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #100
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
There's a line the Marvel movies too. Yeah, we've got super soldier serums and energy weapons and skull faced Nazi's, but no one's gonna buy a kid as Cap's sidekick in WWII. You can get away with a lot of ridiculous stuff in film, but there has to be a line somewhere. That's half my point.

The other half was just taking umbrage with you implying that inventing teleportation of matter isn't all that far fetched. It just is. It's mindbogglingly far fetched. It's possible, but the energy requirements exceed any system we know of in the universe. Sure, go for teleportation in a comic book movie, but let's not pretend it's not a leap.
Super solider serums, energy weapons, and skull faced Nazis are exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to science that our reality hasn't reached. The kid as a sidekick thing has nothing to do with it because I'm specifically talking about science here. If we were having a conversation about Robin then sure, but other than that it isn't needed. Yes, the line has to be drawn somewhere scientifically. I don't want Lex creating weather manipulation machines, mind control tech, etc., but I also want his sheer genius to be conveyed properly and that should be shown in his technology. What sets him apart is that he's able to achieve and create things that most human scientists cannot. It's one of the reasons why he's such a formidable opponent for Superman.

Also, I'm not implying that full-blown teleportation isn't far-fetched, because in our time it absolutely is. I was simply saying it's something that scientists are working on. Regardless of how far they've gotten, it's still being researched in reality and that is my point. Same as time travel, which is also far-fetched for us, but it's still being researched in reality. Thing like that shouldn't be and are not far-fetched in most comic-book realities, and the movies should reflect this... which was the rest of my point.

It's like people accepting Harry Potter and his world full of magic, while it also fits perfectly in that reality. Comic book movies should be no different.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 09-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Closed Thread