The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #51
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: Timeline of Nolan's trilogy.

I mean, when you have both sides making valid points that conflict, you can either believe the story told through dialogue or the dates made by pd. I know which one I'd believe over the other, but once again would argue that the dates are trivial and would not add to the films either way.

Also, when both dates Alex talks about happen to coincide with the years of release of each film, making it more likely that pd didn't check the specificity of the stories' dates since 99% of people won't see it.

The dialogue, however, is king to storytelling, and does seem to make it clear that the mob had been ineffective for about a year, most likely coinciding with the initial rise of the batman. What other evidence is there to account for the extra two years that you, Alex, claim to have passed other than a date on a paper?

Like I said, ultimately I'd like you to be right, because it would like him to be batman for more than a year, but I just don't see it. Would love to see more evidence to the contrary if you've got it, because a date on a prop that could easily be born out of inattentiveness is not proof of anything. If we're using that, I'd say the 'real' timeline should be around bb 2005, Tdk 2006, tdkr 2014.

Last edited by TheBat812; 09-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
TheBat812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #52
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Some pretty thick headed guys here.

GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #53
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Logan View Post
You're not respecting my opinion, you can't even see past your own. Your friend Joker over there has done nothing but dismiss my claims and make fun of everything I've said. I'm just done man, I don't care anymore. I didn't do all this work to get stepped on.
Wait, he made fun of yur work?

Quote:
Maybe you should factor that into your thinking and get back to me when you've done something equally noteworthy.
Quote:
Get a better TV.
Quote:
Wow, stop the press, you made a one page blog. I designed a whole website with graphics, information, and hundreds of pages... from scratch.
You should stop and look at your oun posts before you talk, this thread as become a true flame wars. By the way thanks for suggesting The Joker as a friend, i'll add him right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I just do it like this:
Pre-Year 22 - Bruce Wayne develops fear of bats; Waynes murdered, age 8
Pre-Year 7 - Bruce Wayne Missing, age 23
Year 1 - Batman Begins; Bruce Wayne, age 30
Year 2 - The Dark Knight; Bruce Wayne, age 31
Year 8 - The Dark Knight Rises; Bruce Wayne, age 39
This is the same timeline I did for my wiki; he returns to Gotham at age 29 and gradually creates Batman, so he went missing at age 22 (they say something about it being 14 years after Joe Chill's arrest at his parole hearing). Ra's crashes his 30th birthday party.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #55
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I mean, when you have both sides making valid points that conflict, you can either believe the story told through dialogue or the dates made by pd. I know which one I'd believe over the other, but once again would argue that the dates are trivial and would not add to the films either way.

Also, when both dates Alex talks about happen to coincide with the years of release of each film, making it more likely that pd didn't check the specificity of the stories' dates since 99% of people won't see it.

The dialogue, however, is king to storytelling, and does seem to make it clear that the mob had been ineffective for about a year, most likely coinciding with the initial rise of the batman. What other evidence is there to account for the extra two years that you, Alex, claim to have passed other than a date on a paper?

Like I said, ultimately I'd like you to be right, because it would like him to be batman for more than a year, but I just don't see it. Would love to see more evidence to the contrary if you've got it!
Well, unfortunally you won't hear anything more on the subject from me. I'm tired of arguing about this. It was suppost to be a fun project that everyone could enjoy. Instead it was turned into a childish spectacle by one condescending person.

Last edited by Alex Logan; 09-03-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #56
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Just ignore him and we can continue the discussion. If you really thought yourself wouldn't you just present the evidence? The rest of us would certainly be interested. And it's only arguing when those involved are too bullheaded to think they can't possibly be wrong.

Don't take this stuff so seriously though, there's no reason to get mad when debating fictional timelines, lol.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #57
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Well, unfortunally you won't hear anything more on the subject from me. I'm tired of arguing about this. It was suppost to be a fun project that everyone could enjoy. Instead it was turned into a childish spectacle by one condescending peron.
You're the one here judging others

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #58
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Maybe this could help:

Newspaper says Tuesday, July 21, 2005

Surveillance photo says 2008/07/18

Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #59
Celestin

Sigh...

Batman Begins takes place in 2005:

The Dark Knight takes place in 2008:

Kinda funny that the opening event of the film happened on the date that the movie opened.
EDIT:It seems like the above poster beat me to it, LOL. Wtf!

Celestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #60
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Just ignore him and we can continue the discussion. If you really thought yourself wouldn't you just present the evidence? The rest of us would certainly be interested. And it's only arguing when those involved are too bullheaded to think they can't possibly be wrong.
I've already posted the evidence I have and you're the only person who even acknowledged it. I've watched each film over 100 times, taken notes, done research on the internet, taked to other passionate fan and read though the The Dark Knight Manual many times. Those things cannot be posted here.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #61
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

They use the dates as 2013 in TDKR such as on license plates (2013 registration could be in 2012). Means nothing.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #62
TheBat812
Side-Kick

There's gotta be more evidence than dates, which cannot be considered proof, because pd does not always get details like that right, as evidenced by the above poster. There's no story or plot in the novels, comics or those books that give rise to there being more than a year had passed at the time joker speaks of it? If that's the case it goes back to what I was saying that it cannot be confirmed, and therefore should be considered unimportant to the contents of the films.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #63
JKKS085
Side-Kick

I think that both sides have solid arguments regarding the actual timeline of the movies.
As for the screencaps I posted, those aren't background plates you'll anyways barely see in the background of the movies but front-loaded, specially crafted props. I think that it's highly unlikely that such a big detail was just overlooked by the the films' crew.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #64
TheBat812
Side-Kick

You'd hope, but as someone in the film industry, its a faith that's misplaced. They have a lot of **** to do, and things slip by. If it were the case, I'm not sure what the joker is referencing with his year comment. It's unlikely that the event he's referencing is not the moment the da follows Rachel's advice in not being intimidated by the mob. Having said that, we both agree both sides have good points, and therefore must conclude that either the dates are inconsequential or they purposefully used info that only happened behind the scenes. This would not take advantage of the story they had already set up, which is the most unlikely scenario given the Nolan's attention to story enhancing story.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #65
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I don't think they care about exact dates:

http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/images/film_full.jpg

Old 09-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
I think that both sides have solid arguments regarding the actual timeline of the movies.
As for the screencaps I posted, those aren't background plates you'll anyways barely see in the background of the movies but front-loaded, specially crafted props. I think that it's highly unlikely that such a big detail was just overlooked by the the films' crew.
Actually, it's probable that they just put the date of when that paper was made, but it can be looked either way.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #67
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

To believe the props in TDK that it was 2008, you would have to believe TDKR takes place in 2016. But the props in TDKR do not say that, AFAIK.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #68
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Easy with the personal insults here guys. I don't want to hand out any warnings or infractions.

Keep it clean.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #69
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I don't think they care about exact dates:

http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/images/film_full.jpg
Props made for the film and props made for the virals are very different things.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #70
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Easy with the personal insults here guys. I don't want to hand out any warnings or infractions.

Keep it clean.
Feel free to hand them out....sometimes it's the only way to get through to some of these guys.

In other words people....act civil or leave.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #71
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I just do it like this:
Pre-Year 22 - Bruce Wayne develops fear of bats; Waynes murdered, age 8
Pre-Year 7 - Bruce Wayne Missing, age 23
Year 1 - Batman Begins; Bruce Wayne, age 30
Year 2 - The Dark Knight; Bruce Wayne, age 31
Year 8 - The Dark Knight Rises; Bruce Wayne, age 39
I've always looked at the timeline like this, as far as the dates on the newspaper and the security footage it's just a matter of that being the year the movie was released. The dates on the "Dark Knight Manual" say Dent and Rachel died on May 2004, but then again it doesn't seem that they were anything official other then some dates by the people who threw the book together. I personally look at them as BB is 05, TDK is 2006, and TDKR is 2014.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #72
Blue_Scholar
The Battiest and Manliest

Quote:

I took Batman 2 years to make a dent in the mob and to build up a reputation in Gotham.

Where in the movies does it say that?

"The Dark Knight Trilogy" is such a pretentious title, I'm leaning more towards "RISES: The Dark Batman Knight Begins".

That's much better.
Blue_Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #73
JackWhite
Third Man

I was reading the art and the making of TDK trilogy, and Nolan makes mention of Bruce having a 5 year plan to try and clean Gotham up. So I thought about it, and it makes sense that it would take a little while to get the mob in a corner, and then for Dent to rise up and join him and Gordon on there mission. But I have debunked that because would it really take Bruce over 5 years to rebuild Wayne Manor? And not only that, but it wouldn't have taken 5 years for Batman to finally square off with the Joker.

But it really couldn't have been just a year between BB and TDK. It had to have been a few years of Batman fighting the mob and perhaps even a few more mob oriented freaks, Penguin or Black Mask come to mind. Hell, in the Gotham Knight series Batman faced Dead Shot and Killer Croc. Is Gotham Knight considered canon?

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #74
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I was reading the art and the making of TDK trilogy, and Nolan makes mention of Bruce having a 5 year plan to try and clean Gotham up. So I thought about it, and it makes sense that it would take a little while to get the mob in a corner, and then for Dent to rise up and join him and Gordon on there mission. But I have debunked that because would it really take Bruce over 5 years to rebuild Wayne Manor? And not only that, but it wouldn't have taken 5 years for Batman to finally square off with the Joker.

But it really couldn't have been just a year between BB and TDK. It had to have been a few years of Batman fighting the mob and perhaps even a few more mob oriented freaks, Penguin or Black Mask come to mind. Hell, in the Gotham Knight series Batman faced Dead Shot and Killer Croc. Is Gotham Knight considered canon?
Exactly.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #75
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
They use the dates as 2013 in TDKR such as on license plates (2013 registration could be in 2012). Means nothing.
Quote:
To believe the props in TDK that it was 2008, you would have to believe TDKR takes place in 2016. But the props in TDKR do not say that, AFAIK.
Exactly.

If you have to pause a movie frame and magnify it then these dates are obviously NOT meant to be noticed by the audiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
You're right, it wouldn't. The dialogue and events in the movies don't follow a three year or five year difference. Joker robbing banks for 3-5 years? Wayne Manor taking that long to get rebuilt? Joker said a year ago Cops and Laywers in Gotham didn't dare cross the mob. In Begins and TDK they did.

Quote:
But it really couldn't have been just a year between BB and TDK. It had to have been a few years of Batman fighting the mob and perhaps even a few more mob oriented freaks, Penguin or Black Mask come to mind.
Why did it have to be a few years? Nothing in the mob had changed in TDK other than Maroni having stepped in to run Falcone's organization. What else was different with the mob that it made you think years had to have passed?

As for mob oriented freaks, why does he have to have faced them? You're talking about a Batman universe where he quit for 8 years and not a reference to any villains having popped up in that period.

Quote:
Hell, in the Gotham Knight series Batman faced Dead Shot and Killer Croc. Is Gotham Knight considered canon?
No, it's not.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote