The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: Which mask should wolverine have in a movie?
The tan and brown mask 58 49.57%
The yellow and blue mask 22 18.80%
Neither, it won't work for a movie 37 31.62%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #76
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wolverine's Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I dont think the samurai idea is necessary, the x-force or brown and tan costumes could look awesome onscreen.
But seriously, any other character's costume gets changed for a movie and it's "OMG they're destroying the character! just adapt what's on the page!!"

But with Wolverine, its: "that's ridiculous, this suit can't be pulled off in real life, just put him in jeans and a tshirt"

Bryan Singer brainwashed everyone into thinking its impossible!
Or maybe it really does look bad onscreen and detracts from the actor's performance. For instance, Marvel has gone to great lengths to ensure that the integrity of the Avengers' uniforms remain intact, but they sure steered clear of adapting Hawkeye's mask, which closely resembles Wolverine's. Why?

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #77
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Or maybe it really does look bad onscreen and detracts from the actor's performance. For instance, Marvel has gone to great lengths to ensure that the integrity of the Avengers' uniforms remain intact, but they sure steered clear of adapting Hawkeye's mask, which closely resembles Wolverine's. Why?
I think because Hawkeye had no reason to wear it - it doesn't offer protection and he doesn't need to be disguised. Whedon also said he didn't want to hide Renner's face, saying it was too attractive to cover up.

There's no reason for Wolverine to have pointy-eared headgear unless some sort of ornate Japanese headgear could be made to look like the comic mask, without seeming too contrived.

Also, Catwoman's ears were only included when Nolan figured out a way to do it by making them hi-tech goggles pushed back over her hair.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #78
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
But also even if it was samurai armor, it would still look pretty damn ridiculous, not to mention really clunky looking.
Until it's actually made it's not easy to tell if it will look good or not. Plus it's a movie and doesn't really have to conform that much to how a Samurai armour is actually made. It can be more form fitting and have other changes that make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I'd guess that it's to do with Hawkeye's main costume being a bit too goofy overall rather than just the mask.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #79
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I'm not saying the mask would be easy to make look good, but it could be done.

Hawkeye, I think with his limited screen time, his revised SHIELD origins, and the oscar nominated actor playing him, these things resulted in no mask for him

And don't even get me started on Catwoman in TDKR
You don't need some real-world plausible reason, it's their iconic look
There was no reason for Michelle Pfeiffer's catwoman to have the cowl, but they made it look great.
Anne Hathaway's Catwoman outfit was a lame attempt from people who were uneasy embracing the comic book their comic movie came from.

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #80
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I'm not saying the mask would be easy to make look good, but it could be done.

Hawkeye, I think with his limited screen time, his revised SHIELD origins, and the oscar nominated actor playing him, these things resulted in no mask for him

And don't even get me started on Catwoman in TDKR
You don't need some real-world plausible reason, it's their iconic look
There was no reason for Michelle Pfeiffer's catwoman to have the cowl, but they made it look great.
Anne Hathaway's Catwoman outfit was a lame attempt from people who were uneasy embracing the comic book their comic movie came from.
Really, I thought it was just an homage to the exact same suit from the 60s show? The CAMPIEST of all Batman incarnations...

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #81
BoredGuy
Killing Time

yeah but the show balanced the suit with the over-the-top performances from those catwomen

and besides, we're talking about adapting comic suits, not older live-action suits
I love the Nolan films, don't get me wrong, but I thought the catwoman suit was pretty lazy

Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #82
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

This would look great in live action, just shorten the boots a bit and make the 'head-fins' as someone called them a little smaller.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #83
Project862006
Banned User

sorry no it would'nt lol

sorry a hero should wear a mask for 2 reasons

protection

or hide identity

and wolverine does'nt give a crap about an identity to need one and he heals himself

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #84
x-fan
Side-Kick

in that case project, lets put Batman in a ski mask, cause that is more realistic, certainly Bruce wouldn't wear a bat cowl in real life. I say screw his Iconic look and lets put him in a black swat uniform, shoot and Spidey for that matter, and Superman would never wear red and blue form fitting anything, blue jeans and a Tee for him, all these things are no more ridiculous than putting Wolverine in one of his Icon costume, It only matters that it aint yellow and blue,I repeat NO YELLOW AND BLUE. they all have the same elements the mask is the same no matter the color the basic design is present in them all as well, tone them down if you must but don't remove them entirely for reality sake or we could have a bunch boring looking superhero movies if they applied your thinking to the rest of them.

Last edited by x-fan; 09-03-2012 at 07:12 AM.
x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #85
Project862006
Banned User

well his make sense he needs to protect himself from bullets and his bat outfit has a whole is armor oriented not to mention he is a billionaire and it was made for him by Lucias Fox and he took the symbol as a bat even in the movie

wolverine is a loner he really has no reason for wearing an outfit why does he need a mask when he cant get hurt and he does'nt care that people know who he is

guys like spiderman and batman protect their identity

and superman's out fit is a royal outfit passed down by his father

wolverine does'nt have any of this he is one hero who does'nt really need it

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #86
parlaquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-fan View Post
in that case project, lets put Batman in a ski mask, cause that is more realistic, certainly Bruce wouldn't wear a bat cowl in real life. I say screw his Iconic look and lets put him in a black swat uniform, shoot and Spidey for that matter, and Superman would never wear red and blue form fitting anything, blue jeans and a Tee for him, all these things are no more ridiculous than putting Wolverine in one of his Icon costume, It only matters that it aint yellow and blue,I repeat NO YELLOW AND BLUE. they all have the same elements the mask is the same no matter the color the basic design is present in them all as well, tone them down if you must but don't remove them entirely for reality sake or we could have a bunch boring looking superhero movies if they applied your thinking to the rest of them.
well said. Hadn't thought of it that way, but they bring up an excellent point.

parlaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #87
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

No, bring on the yellow and blue! Bring them all! Use everything in this movie!
Let's make this worse than Origins.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #88
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
well his make sense he needs to protect himself from bullets and his bat outfit has a whole is armor oriented not to mention he is a billionaire and it was made for him by Lucias Fox and he took the symbol as a bat even in the movie

wolverine is a loner he really has no reason for wearing an outfit why does he need a mask when he cant get hurt and he does'nt care that people know who he is

guys like spiderman and batman protect their identity

and superman's out fit is a royal outfit passed down by his father

wolverine does'nt have any of this he is one hero who does'nt really need it
It's a COMIC BOOK movie. Who cares why he's wearing a costume? Comic book heroes and villains wear them. Have him put it on when he fights the villains and the audience won't care one bit about why he's wearing it.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #89
Project862006
Banned User

it would look ridiculous and you know it his costume is bright yellow and brown

dont give me that lazy it is a comic book film excuse

when need realism for our films give me a realistic reason for wearing his costume?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #90
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I've always felt that Wolverine's yellow and brown costumes looked ridiculous, no matter how bad-ass he is. If he has to look like something that comes from the comics, then his ultimate look (one of the few things I appreciate from the ultimate universe) is the best way to go.

Duran Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #91
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
It's a COMIC BOOK movie. Who cares why he's wearing a costume? Comic book heroes and villains wear them. Have him put it on when he fights the villains and the audience won't care one bit about why he's wearing it.
He doesnt need a mask. It's a comic book movie? Really? If it doesn't makes sense, then it shouldn't be in the movie: period. Especially with this film where it's not just some CBM for little kids...things have to make sense.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #92
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I just don't understand how his character would explain the idea to wear such an outfit in the film?

With batman he's taught to be theatric and take on the dark image of what scares him, captain america wants to be seen as a representation of america and dons it's colors. Spider-man originally based his outfit on the flashy wrestling gear he wore when he first took advantage of his powers.

Where are we going to get logan going "the only thing missing from me is a bright yellow and blue/brown tight outfit"?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #93
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I support a traditional outfit, even if it is some kind of ninja-culture explanation.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #94
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I just don't understand how his character would explain the idea to wear such an outfit in the film?

With batman he's taught to be theatric and take on the dark image of what scares him, captain america wants to be seen as a representation of america and dons it's colors. Spider-man originally based his outfit on the flashy wrestling gear he wore when he first took advantage of his powers.

Where are we going to get logan going "the only thing missing from me is a bright yellow and blue/brown tight outfit"?
Exactly, there's no reason for it.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #95
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Maybe he needs to hide his identity doing some shady dealings with Yukio/Viper/Shingen, whatever...

Like, he assasinates someone for the Hand, and doesn't want Mariko/Shingen to find out.

Jesus, why is it so tough for some people to fathom a decent excuse for him to look like the damn SOURCE MATERIAL???

You guys are too narrow-minded
A good writer could find a perfectly reasonably explanation to throw a mask on him

Also, what's the problem with blue and yellow?
They did it in First Class, and everybody around here sucks that movie's ****
If Magneto could look like a badass, so could Logan

Last edited by BoredGuy; 09-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #96
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

In First Class they had a valid reason, they were flight suits. There's no real good reason for why Wolverine would go around dressed in a ridiculous costume like the comic.

Also Magneto did look kinda ridiculous at the end with the little thing attached to the helmet. They could have done without adding that.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #97
x-fan
Side-Kick

You take good writers and you can get away with making a good movie with the costumes, and as far as why wear a mask, Logan looks like most people, can pass for normal I mean, so IF he is out killing people/ things, a mask makes since to me. He certainly doesn't want to be locked up, no he wouldn't kill the cops to get away, they are just doing their jobs. Tone down the colors mute them so they aren't so bright, Tan and Brown, Black and grey, don't make it spandex but some sort of tactical suit, see batman vs wolverine on youtube for example. batman being theatrical doesn't make the suit any less silly in real life, same for the rest of the ideas. Wolverine does feel pain, why not protect himself a little with a bit of Kevlar or some other government tech suit. fans want to see the iconic look on screen just like the bat fans do or supe fans, just look at some of the flack on those sites and see how intense it can be, but at least they are getting a suit, not civie supes or BATS.

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #98
BoredGuy
Killing Time

^Precisely! thank you..

Good writers could find a good reason

Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #99
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
You take good writers and you can get away with making a good movie with the costumes, and as far as why wear a mask, Logan looks like most people, can pass for normal I mean, so IF he is out killing people/ things, a mask makes since to me. He certainly doesn't want to be locked up, no he wouldn't kill the cops to get away, they are just doing their jobs. Tone down the colors mute them so they aren't so bright, Tan and Brown, Black and grey, don't make it spandex but some sort of tactical suit, see batman vs wolverine on youtube for example. batman being theatrical doesn't make the suit any less silly in real life, same for the rest of the ideas. Wolverine does feel pain, why not protect himself a little with a bit of Kevlar or some other government tech suit. fans want to see the iconic look on screen just like the bat fans do or supe fans, just look at some of the flack on those sites and see how intense it can be, but at least they are getting a suit, not civie supes or BATS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #100
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
You take good writers and you can get away with making a good movie with the costumes, and as far as why wear a mask, Logan looks like most people, can pass for normalI mean, so IF he is out killing people/ things, a mask makes since to me. He certainly doesn't want to be locked up, no he wouldn't kill the cops to get away, they are just doing their jobs. Tone down the colors mute them so they aren't so bright, Tan and Brown, Black and grey, don't make it spandex but some sort of tactical suit, see batman vs wolverine on youtube for example. batman being theatrical doesn't make the suit any less silly in real life, same for the rest of the ideas. Wolverine does feel pain, why not protect himself a little with a bit of Kevlar or some other government tech suit. fans want to see the iconic look on screen just like the bat fans do or supe fans, just look at some of the flack on those sites and see how intense it can be, but at least they are getting a suit, not civie supes or BATS.
he isn't spiderman or batman who have a secret identity he doesn't care that people know he is a mutant he is a rebel and a loner wearing a mask to hide his face would go against his personality

and yes he feel pain but he feels it even when he brings out his claws he has probably accustomed himself to it