The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #51
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake VI

It's vague enough for fans to believe what they want, but it is absolutely clear that for Nolan, he will take the mantle as batman.

TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #52
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464 View Post
So yeah, basically you're saying what I'm saying : Blake has to be "Batman". He has to be identified as Batman, wear the symbol, use the bat signal, etc. You'd rather have him dress like Nightwing? Yeah. Sure. Why not? As long as people think he's Batman, the symbol is still there.

People think Batman's dead and it's a reason for him not to be Batman? All the opposite. Show up as Batman on your first night out, show them Batman can't be killed and will always be around. That'll scare the **** out of criminals. That will make him "everlasting". The legend who ended Gotham's siege and survived a nuke. Criminals are already packing.
Well, if he's dressed as Nightwing, people wont think he's Batman obviously. Theyll know he's not Batman, and that Batman is dead but that this new person is inspired by Batman. To me Bruce never wanted copy-cats. He was willing to let Dent be Gothams hope. Bruce sending Blake to the cave was like "im giving u a choice, if u want this, everythings there".

The idea of Bruce being Batman, then Robin being Batman, then eventually Robin passing Batman onto another kid, and it goes on forever..is stupid to me. I dont think that's what Nolan was going for. Simply carrying the symbol will do just fine. I think whoever Blake hands the symbol over to, wont have to dress like Batman or Nightwing either. It's everlasting and evolving through many forms, as long as the concept and the ideals are still intact through each generation.

A single bat costume isn't what makes up the symbol. Any man can carry this symbol, no matter his race, what he dresses like, Bat-suit or something else entirely. Blake represents the audience, us. We can be the symbol of hope in our lives too, and stand up for others and try to make sure bad things dont happen to good people. We all dont need to walk around like the Batman to achieve this. That's what Blake represents..the common good man/citizen.

Last edited by shauner111; 09-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #54
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's what I think, yes. I wouldn't be so affirmative as to what Nolan believes or not, but it seems to me everything in the film builds up towards John Blake taking up the mantle that was handed to him to make Batman eternal.
Fair enough. I agree that the language of the films, including the title of the last film indicate very strongly that that's what Nolan is implying. Also, his past distaste for the character would seem to reinforce that. He took the best things a mentee character like robin could give... Without making him robin. Oh snap, he still managed to do that. Touché, Nolan, touché.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #56
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
I clearly see where you're coming from, and I think the way you see it is also has a poetic ring to it, with this "symbol of hope" taking many different forms and identities as it is passed along.

I personally don't think that's what Nolan was implying, but then again, it's just my opinion. We approach it differently, and I think both views are equal.

I'm a big fan of the "Batman is eternal" concept. I don't think the costume has to stay the same. Just the legendary character, that can conquer any odds and last forever, as if there was this Order of Dark Knights watching over Gotham through the ages. The main reason I'd "want" Blake to perpetuate the Batman persona is to show Gotham that nothing will kill him or stop him from protecting them. It sends chills down my spine to imagine a scene where Blake goes out as Batman and is spotted for the first time after the nuke.

I can go for that. I think eventually, him becoming a new Batman, once the citizens of Gotham have had several years to let it sink in that Batman is gone and died for them, and several years to rebuild their city, round up the rest of the free'd prisoners. Several years of peace and helping each other until a new breed of mobsters or whatever come into play, THEN the Batman shows up. Yeah i guess a scene like that, if executed properly would send chills down my spine.

Something Batman Beyond-esque. And the people dont know if he's ressurected, or if it's a different man.

You know that I dont think it's necessary for him to be Batman. But if it was executed well, with maybe DC pumping out some comics in the meantime where Blake as a Robin/Nightwing/Red Hood identity, roams around for a year or two doing little things around Gotham. And then BAM they hit us with a movie 10 years from now (when the Justice League universe is wrapped up) Blake returns to Gotham as the Batman? Yeah i would be open to it.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #57
jonnywhc
TeamDatAss.

JGL on Letterman discussing his role as Mr. Robin John Blake...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evBfr...layer_embedded

In my mind, he becomes Nightwing.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #58
georgec
Not a hero

I hate that guy. He ruined the movie!

edit - LOL, I just realized my comment meant to be satirical about the "John Blake ruined the movie" thread can also be applied to Letterman spoiling the ending. I am subconsciously that clever.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.

Last edited by georgec; 09-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #59
shauner111
Side-Kick

I love Letterman, he's such a prick.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #60
jonnywhc
TeamDatAss.

He seems like such a troll lol. Oh and my reasons for Nightwing and not Batman would be..

Batman is extremely personal to Bruce. It is forever linked to the death of his parents...his accidental fall caused the fear, the fear at the opera then lead to their death. He decided to use bats as a symbol for his own fight. Anyone else taking over that, imo, is just a cheap imitator.

Bruce left the fixed batsignal as a sign to Gordon that he was alive and well. It’s a sign of their friendship, not something as obvious as a signal for the next guy. The ''Batman anyone could be'' thing..he means hero, not literally Batman. And notice how its ''Batman could be anyone'' rather than ''anyone could be Batman''..big difference. Later, he tells Gordon that anyone can be a hero. Being left the batcave was more about handing over of a base and the general guardian-baton. He left him the cave and made him enter in that way as a very strong way of making Blake feel just how big a deal this undertaking is...how much of a legacy he would be fighting alongside. While the bats in Begins engulfed Bruce...in Rises they sped past Blake.

Blake is different to Bruce in quite afew ways..specially in that of how they operate. Blake was literally disgusted by the coverup. He’s not Batman in more ways than one. I think Blake, as Nightwing, would work closely with those orphans.

Batman is a stronger symbol in his death and sacrifice than he would be as a continual embodied entity. Then he wouldn't be as relatable to the people of Gotham. As it stands at the end of Rises...an anonymous Gothamite stood up and saved the city. To me...that's far more powerful than some supernatural ageless being saving my city. A real man who lived and died for me...now that would inspire me to never let Gotham become a filthhole again.

And finally..I don't believe Gotham needs a Batman anymore. Batman was extremely useful in inspiring Gotham and saving it. Making the city turn itself around. Now, in this new age, in needs a guiding hand, not a dark knight..it needs a different thing..Robin John Blake..Nightwing. I also think he would be more willing to work in a much more direct way with the police, unlike Bruce..he wouldn't share his resources even when Alfred plead with him. And adult Robin = Nightwing. Can't believe all these people *****ing about him not being called Dick, etc...almost none of the GA would get the reference if it wasn't ''Robin'' lol.

Edit - After reading back afew pages I see some people still can't seem to separate this trilogies take on Batman and the comics takes(multiple) on Batman.

Last edited by jonnywhc; 09-21-2012 at 04:01 AM.
jonnywhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #61
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #62
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Bad-ass Robin.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #63
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Heads up: JGL is hosting Saturday Night Live tonight.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #64
shauner111
Side-Kick

So Philip Seymour Hoffman says JGL is one of his favs these days, and he thought what JGL did in TDKR was the most difficult thing in the movie. And that he pulled it off. He had to show integrity and it's not something you can just fake, etc.

I only heard it out of Peter Travers' mouth when he was interviewing JGL. But that's pretty cool coming from PSH. JGL looked blown away.

That's for all you haters out there who cant stand JGL's "Robin John Blake" character in the movie. If Hoffman respected what he did in the movie, it doesnt mean we all have to...but i think it means something when a top of the line actor like him praises not only Joseph Gordon-Levitt but the Blake character as well.

That other thread...the "Is Blake a problem or not?" thread is getting goddamn ridiculous, so ill just stay in here.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #65
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Anyone watching SNL?

Tres Equis

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #66
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Yeah. So far...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
JGL opened with a Magic Mike parody.

He was with Hader in a detective that draws instead of photographs skit.

I thought I spotted "Dildo Baggins" as that guy's user name or something.

Now JGL is a hypnotist.

No Blake parodies so far.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #67
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

He is a funny ass dude.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #68
Just_Human
Side-Kick

In the opening, he looked like the Riddler with that hat

:-)

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #69
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
No Blake parodies so far.
Wait, so people were actually expecting this?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #70
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Cs Funny Re: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
Wait, so people were actually expecting this?
I was just trying to make the post Blake-related.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #71
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #72
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Amazing .gif is amazing.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #73
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

No doubt an amazing effort.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #74
georgec
Not a hero

On Conan tonight promotion Looper, I reckon.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #75
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Third time in IMAX today...it occurred to me that perhaps Bruce isn't necessarily giving Blake the costume (though I guess one copy is still intact once he fixes the Talia stab hole...), but his detective technology. Blake has proven himself a pretty good detective despite not having Batman's resources (and not being a civil engineer ) and Batman made it a point to have him rescue people instead of beating up bad guys. Even in a pinch, Batman/Bruce will choose to rescue people instead of getting the bad guy, as we saw in TDK as well as TDKR. So. Batman is meant to be a symbol of hope, and Bruce probably hopes for Blake to adopt the detective role and helping Gotham that way, more than the "beating up bad guys and making himself vulnerable to violence" role. At the very least, he expects Blake to be better at sticking to his morals instead of going all paranoid cell phone spying on everyone in Gotham.