The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: Which Hero will likely come in 1st place?
IronmanIII 1st, Superman 2nd, Thor2 3rd and Wolverine 4th. 12 30.00%
IronmanIII 1st, Superman 2nd, The Wolverine 3rd and Thor2 4th. 3 7.50%
Superman 1st, Ironman III 2nd, Thor2 3rd and Wolverine 4th. 8 20.00%
IronmanIII 1st, Thor2 2nd, Superman 3rd and Wolverine 4th. 17 42.50%
Superman 1st, Wolverine 2nd, IronmanIII 3rd and Thor 2 4th. 0 0%
Wolverine 1st, Ironman 2nd, Superman 3rd and Thor 2 4th 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,669
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I think Superman wins, hands down, because ironically enough, Marvel and DC do a shift in 2013: DC goes for a real four-color superhero with Kal-El, while Thor and Iron Man get the Nolanite "dark and gritty" treatment. And I think that will backfire, to great effect for MOS, and disappointing numbers for IM and Thor.

Granted, Zack Snyder isn't Steven Spielberg; he's definitely dropped the ball on some great potential several times. But so has Spielberg --- *many* times. There's one thing that's a guarantee for Snyder: he is extremely faithful to the source material of whatever comic/graphic novel he's adapting, so it's a given that his Superman will be very authentic to the books --- far more so than Bryan Singer's crap, and even the Donner films, which quickly devolved into Joel Schumacher-like camp over several installments.

Avengers was lightning in a bottle, and the bulk of its success draws from the team aspect. That aspect is, of course, lacking in the solo films; and there's already reports that Feige and the filmmakers are trying to steer away from Avenger references to let IM and Thor stand on their own. This is *not* a particularly intelligent strategy, trying to distance yourself from a box-office gold mine.

I'll be glad to reassess my opinion once we start seeing trailers for IM, Thor and MOS; but for now, everything I've seen puts MOS miles ahead of the competition in 2013.
This goes contrary to all existing evidence. The Man of Steel footage as yet revealed is about as "Nolan-ish" as a movie involving a flying solar powered alien farm boy can possibly get, far from being "four color." Meanwhile, there's no reason yet to believe that either IM3 or Thor 2 goes for a dark, gritty tone contrary to prior pattern ( note that IM opened with him being imprisoned by guerillas in the mountains, bad things happening to Stark is not new ).

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,842
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm going with Iron Man 3 in 1st, Thor II in 2nd, Man of Steel in 3rd, and Wolverine in 4th for right now.
Are you going by BO or movie quality?

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange(?), X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Untitled DC movie, Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,842
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I think Superman wins, hands down, because ironically enough, Marvel and DC do a shift in 2013: DC goes for a real four-color superhero with Kal-El, while Thor and Iron Man get the Nolanite "dark and gritty" treatment. And I think that will backfire, to great effect for MOS, and disappointing numbers for IM and Thor.

Granted, Zack Snyder isn't Steven Spielberg; he's definitely dropped the ball on some great potential several times. But so has Spielberg --- *many* times. There's one thing that's a guarantee for Snyder: he is extremely faithful to the source material of whatever comic/graphic novel he's adapting, so it's a given that his Superman will be very authentic to the books --- far more so than Bryan Singer's crap, and even the Donner films, which quickly devolved into Joel Schumacher-like camp over several installments.

Avengers was lightning in a bottle, and the bulk of its success draws from the team aspect. That aspect is, of course, lacking in the solo films; and there's already reports that Feige and the filmmakers are trying to steer away from Avenger references to let IM and Thor stand on their own. This is *not* a particularly intelligent strategy, trying to distance yourself from a box-office gold mine.

I'll be glad to reassess my opinion once we start seeing trailers for IM, Thor and MOS; but for now, everything I've seen puts MOS miles ahead of the competition in 2013.
While I agree that MoS will come in first, I haven't seen anything from IM3 or TDW to suggest that they'll be in the "Nolanite" style.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange(?), X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Untitled DC movie, Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick
 
TheHeatKitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,128
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Iron Man III because it's the first big continuation of the biggest superhero film of all time, not to mention it stars RDJ

Thor II second because it continues previously mentioned saga, riding the Avengers train

Superman third because it will split between people who are weary after Superman Returns and people excited to see a fresh attempt at a Superman film

Wolverine last because of a similar situation to Superman Returns, only insert X-Men Origins Wolverine, and that was epically TERRIBLE, pissed a lot of Marvel fans off and will scare people away from The Wolverine. It will still do well because it's Hugh Jackman and Wolverine, but still below the other three.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #30
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,025
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

^That's pretty much how I see it, too.

__________________
You know, it occurs to me that Captain America is basically the superhero equivalent of Mary Poppins. Practically perfect in every way and all that stuff.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #31
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,129
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Are you going by BO or movie quality?
I thought this was about BO grosses, but going by quality I think it's going to be a toss up between Thor II and IM3.

The directors, the villains, and the cast of Thor II and IM3 are just so full of win.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,596
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
This goes contrary to all existing evidence. The Man of Steel footage as yet revealed is about as "Nolan-ish" as a movie involving a flying solar powered alien farm boy can possibly get, far from being "four color." Meanwhile, there's no reason yet to believe that either IM3 or Thor 2 goes for a dark, gritty tone contrary to prior pattern ( note that IM opened with him being imprisoned by guerillas in the mountains, bad things happening to Stark is not new ).
The MOS reel shown at SDCC is as far from "Nolan-ish" as you can get --- and as far from "Snyder-ish" as you can get. In fact, it looked more like something Terrence Malick might direct: lofty and epic and pensive, philosophical and spiritual.

And the reports on both IM3 and TDW indicate that they're going for darker, more serious tones this time around. Doubtful that they'll be shooting for Oscars, of course, but they definitely seem to want to turn up the drama on these two movies.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #33
TheGuy
Side-Kick
 
TheGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

MOS is in better hands, so MOS. Followed by IM3 and TTDW.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #34
LegendAssemble
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 932
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

IM3 hands down. The Avengers was the biggest movie of 2012 and the two things everyone remembered were Ruffalo's Banner and Downeys Stark. Iron Man will be the first chance anyone can get to get another dose of Tony Stark. It has it's biggest villain in it and it's probably going to get the best marketing.

Man of Steel is going to suffer from Superman Returns and the general disappointment from that. Superman is a popular superhero but he's not the best in the publics eyes anymore. Plus the movie as far as I can tell has a bearded Clark Kent hitchhiking and is shot with a prevalence of grey (from what we've seen so far). Also why is this not Nolanesk, when it's marketed as "from the producer of the Dark Knight Trilogy"?

The Wolverine, X-Men fans aren't expecting much anymore as X3 and Wolverine pretty much killed the franchise. XCF is good, but look at the Days of the Future Past board, it hasn't generated the hype to get it back to where it was in the early 2000s. However Wolverine and Hugh Jackman are still bigger names than Thor.

Thor won't do badly, but it won't dominate at the box office.

LegendAssemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #35
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comics View Post
MOS is in better hands, so MOS. Followed by IM3 and TTDW.
It wont even have the iconic "Superman song" in it yet they still couldn't give us a fresher villain than Zod. So no... It wont top Ironman, sorry.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #36
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendAssemble View Post
The Wolverine, X-Men fans aren't expecting much anymore as X3 and Wolverine pretty much killed the franchise. XCF is good, but look at the Days of the Future Past board, it hasn't generated the hype to get it back to where it was in the early 2000s. However Wolverine and Hugh Jackman are still bigger names than Thor.

Thor won't do badly, but it won't dominate at the box office.
Fox is producing Wolverine as a stand alone film with no real connection to the X-men continuity they built. That just shows how much faith they have in this film in my opinion.

Thor is the underdog here. But if they can channel some of that LOTR/Harry Potter vibe than Thor could top Superman and Wolverine.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #37
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,129
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendAssemble View Post
However Wolverine and Hugh Jackman are still bigger names than Thor.

Thor won't do badly, but it won't dominate at the box office.
Actually Hemsworth is a bigger box office draw than Jackman nowdays, plus THOR made more than every X-Men film except X3.

He's been top 10 in IMDB's "Star Meter" since TA came out, it's safe to say that T:TDW is gonna be alot bigger than THOR..

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 09-06-2012 at 02:39 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #38
Ipodman
Love Tension
 
Ipodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,197
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

I betting iron Man 3 will make the most money, but I'm rooting for Superman or Wolverine to be better movies

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #39
TheGuy
Side-Kick
 
TheGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
It wont even have the iconic "Superman song" in it yet they still couldn't give us a fresher villain than Zod. So no... It wont top Ironman, sorry.
So?

I think IM3's gonna rake in the most money, but MOS is gonna be the most acclaimed which is the most important thing WB needs.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #40
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,025
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

I'm not holding out much hope for MOS or Wolverine, quality-wise. I've yet to see a Snyder movie that I thought was good and Wolvie's still got FOX on it's back.

__________________
You know, it occurs to me that Captain America is basically the superhero equivalent of Mary Poppins. Practically perfect in every way and all that stuff.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #41
Ipodman
Love Tension
 
Ipodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,197
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

I want both MOS and Wolverine to be good, but I have more faith in Wolverine.

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #42
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,596
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Actually Hemsworth a bigger box office draw than Jackman nowdays, plus THOR made more than every X-Men film except X3.

He's been top 10 in IMDB's "Star Meter" since TA came out, it's safe to say that T:TDW is gonna be alot bigger than THOR..
Agreed.
And I think Rush is going to continue to add to Hem's star meter, along with (maybe) Red Dawn. I wholeheartedly believe that TDW will garner bigger b.o. than IM3; but it still remains to be seen how Thor battles it out against Supes. MOS is entirely hit or miss, in Snyder's hands --- he's either got certified greatness on his hands here, or a jumbled mess like Sucker Punch. If it's the latter, Thor wins 2013.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #43
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant
 
Jick09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Across the burning sands
Posts: 8,357
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Iron Man 3
Superman
Thor 2
Wolverine

That's my guess.

__________________
Quote:
Lewis Black
"If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college."
Jick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
T"Challa
Side-Kick
 
T"Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

I think IM3 is going to win the Box office and win over the critics as well. Coming off avengers, RDJ will be in top form again, add Kingsley, Pearce, Hall, Paltrow, Cheadle..its a pretty stellar cast, and Shane Black is going to knock this thing out of the park. IM3 has the most going for it IMO.

MOS should be good but Snyder has been known to be pretty hit or miss with his stuff. The supporting cast is great but i worry if Cavill can truly rock it like Reeve did. I've only seen him in 2 movies, Immortals and Cold Light of Day..Immortals was forgettable and the latter was just pure trash. We'll see.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #45
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comics View Post
So?
Oh I'm sorry it's only one of the greatest movie soundtracks to date even after 30+ years. Though you don't care about it. The theme does capture an audience.

On the flip side I could understand if they're betting on starting fresh. But doing so with Zod instead of making someone in his very huge rogue gallery valid doesn't win over this starting fresh theory.

I still have more hopes for it than Wolverine though. So if it's still a great film, we all win.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #46
Oscorp
Side-Kick
 
Oscorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,358
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

I'm really not interested in this Wolverine goes to Japan story. Was it any good in the comics? I haven't read it. I mean, I love Japan as a country and their history, but this specific story just doesn't interest me at all so far.

__________________
Yeah they should just cancel the films and not even bother and spend the budget on building a giant statue of toby macguire instead!
-BRAB
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #47
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,129
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Agreed.
And I think Rush is going to continue to add to Hem's star meter, along with (maybe) Red Dawn. I wholeheartedly believe that TDW will garner bigger b.o. than IM3; but it still remains to be seen how Thor battles it out against Supes. MOS is entirely hit or miss, in Snyder's hands --- he's either got certified greatness on his hands here, or a jumbled mess like Sucker Punch. If it's the latter, Thor wins 2013.
Yeah I don't know why everyone is underestimating Thor 2, it sure has ALOT more going for it than the original. It's like people are purposefully ignoring Chris' increasing popularilty and appearance in over 4 films in 2012 alone.

That being said I still don't think Thor 2 will gross more than IM3, I mean I would like for that to happen but I don't see how.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Toss up between Thor and Iron Man.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #49
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,729
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Eh, I say IM3 first with TDW and MOS duking it out for second...

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
APOCALYPSE | DAWN OF JUSTICE | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #50
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,842
Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I thought this was about BO grosses, but going by quality I think it's going to be a toss up between Thor II and IM3.

The directors, the villains, and the cast of Thor II and IM3 are just so full of win.
Oh, all right. I thought so, just making sure! Yep, IM3 and TDW are looking full of win. It's about time we got the Mandarin in an IM movie.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange(?), X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Untitled DC movie, Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.