The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Default Re: How will Clark being found by the Kents be handled?

I hope it's just mentioned. I want new stuff, and adding all the preassumed scenes will just take time.

I believe some aspects of the mitology will be taken as "known" so that there is more focus to the story being told than to explain all the thing we already know or that we have seen before.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
You're right that it may be "too much work" or take up too much screen time. But if you were to go the miscarriage route, it doesn't just serve the purpose of a plot device explaining how people would accept that he's their son. It also serves the purpose of emotionally bonding the Kents and Kal-El in a way that's never been done before, so if done well it could be worth that extra effort or screen time.
i see what you mean. i jsut don't want it to take up too much time explaining to the townsfolk where Clark came from. The simplest explinations are the best

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
i see what you mean. i jsut don't want it to take up too much time explaining to the townsfolk where Clark came from. The simplest explinations are the best
If the miscarriage route were taken, there would be no need to explain to anyone what happened, because it gets rid of any and all suspicion.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I saw 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green' today (which was great, btw, but it might be adoptee bias there) and it got me wondering...

If MOS takes a realistic approach, how could Superman's origin be told realistically?

A couple finds a baby abandoned in a space ship, take him in, have him as their son and no one asks about birth certificates or records or anything?

TOLOTM really brought to mind in Timothy meeting the family that everyone would be, "how did you get this boy overnight?!"

SMALLVILLE (yeah, I know some Superman fans don't like it) did this well with saying Jonathan got help from Lionel Luthor in forging the documents. That's believable that someone with his level of power and wealth could do that.

But, here we don't have that causing one to question...

How do you think they'd ground this aspect of it or not bring it up?
It'easy. They could just do what countless illegal immigrants do. Technically Clark is one.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #30
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Earth One and the backups from Superman and the Men of Steel do feature a realistic way of doing this. I would add that maybe they'll have Martha pregneat, everyone knows it, but they go to the hospital and she has a miscarriage. They decide to hold off telling everybody because its personal as they're grieiving, then the rocket crashes with the baby who could pass as a newborn, and they give him the name that they're now gone son would've had; Clark.
Earth One and the "he's my sister's son" route works the best out of those. The miscarriage one... that's a little trickier because there would be doctors and nurses who would probably know what happened. The one route I really like the best is the comic book one of putting Clark into the system then getting him out soon after. Or in this day and age the Kents would probably just request to foster him and since the birth parents haven't shown up - adopt him (which would be the modern day equivalent of that).

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #31
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Pretty good topic. I'm guessing they'll just brush over this and not go full into extraneous details regarding his legalisation as their adoptee.

I actually like in the New 52 how government military showed up and took the ship after Jonathan and Martha had taken Clark. As I find it hard to believe a vessel can enter Earths atmosphere now without being detected. It'll probably be explained as some 'stealth mode' entry as we can tell from the comic-con trailer it was hidden by Jonathan.

I also think the meteor shower in Smallville is probably a good way to go. Besides wasn't there set photos of newspaper clippings written by Lois about meteor effects in Smallville?

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #32
Naite22
Side-Kick

What if the movie starts up entirely different then one might expect??? Maybe it starts off as a total "Perfect storm" kinda way, with clark working the boats??? Than through flashbacks and such (Batman Begins style), we see Krypton stuff, along with Clark childhood stuff, also being found by the Kents??? Do we even know for sure that we'll actually see Clark crashland on earth this time around???

Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #33
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
What if the movie starts up entirely different then one might expect??? Maybe it starts off as a total "Perfect storm" kinda way, with clark working the boats??? Than through flashbacks and such (Batman Begins style), we see Krypton stuff, along with Clark childhood stuff, also being found by the Kents??? Do we even know for sure that we'll actually see Clark crashland on earth this time around???
That's actually what I'm expecting. That the first shots from the teaser is also the first time we're introduced to Clark. But there might be a prologue on Krypton that opens the movie though.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #34
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
That's actually what I'm expecting. That the first shots from the teaser is also the first time we're introduced to Clark. But there might be a prologue on Krypton that opens the movie though.
Could very well be :-)

I remember the opening for Begins.. It was like - What!!??? How does this all fit together with Bruce being in jail?! Soon after, everything fell in to place though, in the most badass way. I'm hoping for something similar with MOS.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #35
Dagoods
Side-Kick

PAPA KENT = J. JACKSON

in this movie...

Dagoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

The Martha's sister's child thing is among the least believable explanations in my opinion. In the real world, taking custody of a family member's child involves legal documents and proceedings and the child would already be in the system and have things like a birth certificate. The whole ruse would collapse as soon as anyone discovered that there are no records of the sister giving birth. Clark needs those sort of documents if he is ever to get a driver's licence or attend college.

I think simpler is better. Have the Kents claim they found the child abandoned and have them get legal custody through the system. Smallville is a small community and everyone would know about the difficulties they have had trying to had children of their own, so I'm sure the local public officials would speed up the process and make sure it went in their favour.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #37
A&W
Side-Kick

You guys are forgetting something. Superman is technically an illegal immigrant. Illegal immigrants are never really burdoned with having to explain where their immigrant children come from. No explanation is needed. But I like the misscarriage idea.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&W View Post
You guys are forgetting something. Superman is technically an illegal immigrant. Illegal immigrants are never really burdoned with having to explain where their immigrant children come from. No explanation is needed. But I like the misscarriage idea.
Big difference. Clark is depicted as living the life of an American citizen - going to college, being employed by a reputable newspaper. That sort of life require one to be in the system. It's a rather different kind of life. It's not like he is paid cash to clean someone's house or do manual labour. You cannot really equate Clark with real life illegal immigrants.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
I like this....it could open with an already established superman...we see him take out some bankrobbers or something similar. after, we see him fly up to the top of a building and give the pose that we all know...he looks out over metropolis, we see lexcorp and star labs off in the distance....silence except for the wind..
we hear a voiceover by him start and we are transported to the past and krypton.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 12-16-2012 at 06:40 PM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #40
nocomics
Side-Kick

Do they really need to show the Kent's finding Clark or spending any great deal of time on it? If they do I suspect in Flashbacks which would be fine with me.

nocomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #41
dabilee01
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I like this....it could open with an already established superman...we see him take out some bankrobbers or something similar. after, we see him fly up to the top of a building and give the pose that we all know...he looks out over metropolis, we see lexcorp and star labs off in the distance....silence except for the wind..
we hear a voiceover by him start and we are transported to the past and krypton.
imho, no thanks. i don't want the entire movie as a flashback. start somewhere in clark's journey towards becoming superman, add in flashbacks to flesh out his character and build a connection with the audience, then continue moving forward, and have his big reveal/battle be the climax of the movie.

i never enjoyed movies or tv shows where the journey's already ended and they push the narrative forward with a "x years ago" plot device.

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Big difference. Clark is depicted as living the life of an American citizen - going to college, being employed by a reputable newspaper. That sort of life require one to be in the system. It's a rather different kind of life. It's not like he is paid cash to clean someone's house or do manual labour. You cannot really equate Clark with real life illegal immigrants.
There are illegal immigrants with driver's liscenses who go to college and even work in journalism. One went public. He works for time magazine. He is on the cover of the issue American in every way except one

Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #43
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&W View Post
There are illegal immigrants with driver's liscenses who go to college and even work in journalism. One went public. He works for time magazine. He is on the cover of the issue American in every way except one
My mistake. I didn't realize American laws were that lax. Here, in Canada, you need a birth certificate or passport and visa to get things like driver's licences or apply to university. I assumed that the US paranoia over illegal immigration would mean that your laws would probably be tougher. However, I still don't think the comparison works. The Kents need to explain the child somehow. If it is passed off as the child of a relative, there still needs to be documentation. If they claim that it is their child after even a secret miscarriage, the local hospital would know that the jig is up because of their records.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #44
sf2
Side-Kick

Not interested to know. Unleast it is a 10hours movie.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
My mistake. I didn't realize American laws were that lax. Here, in Canada, you need a birth certificate or passport and visa to get things like driver's licences or apply to university. I assumed that the US paranoia over illegal immigration would mean that your laws would probably be tougher. However, I still don't think the comparison works. The Kents need to explain the child somehow. If it is passed off as the child of a relative, there still needs to be documentation. If they claim that it is their child after even a secret miscarriage, the local hospital would know that the jig is up because of their records.
I'm just pointing out the Kent's do not have to do anything that special.
They don't have to actually explain how the parents pull this off. They didn't in the original and it could even leave open options for future stories. Imagine if the wrong person discovers kent does not have a valid social security number and it leads to them finding out his identity. It could even help make him more relatable if he can't find a job because he doesn't have a social security number.
But for the most part your right about the u.s. the laws vary in different states.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #46
Naite22
Side-Kick

In some form or way, I believe that we WILL see the Kents finding Clark and the crashed ship. We already know from the new trailer that we'll see him being sent to earth by his Kryptonian birth parents. You see them kissing him goodbye, so we MUST be seeing it all, like it was presented in the original Donner film as well. Otherwise it's just unbalanced. And talking about unbalanced, it just doesn't seem balanced at all if we don't get to see the Kents finding him at "the other end". Maybe we'll see glimpses of this in trailer 3, which I don't think will premier before sometime of mid-april.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #47
A&W
Side-Kick

Most young audience members don't know all this stuff about superman.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #48
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
In some form or way, I believe that we WILL see the Kents finding Clark and the crashed ship. We already know from the new trailer that we'll see him being sent to earth by his Kryptonian birth parents. You see them kissing him goodbye, so we MUST be seeing it all, like it was presented in the original Donner film as well. Otherwise it's just unbalanced. And talking about unbalanced, it just doesn't seem balanced at all if we don't get to see the Kents finding him at "the other end". Maybe we'll see glimpses of this in trailer 3, which I don't think will premier before sometime of mid-april.
I agree 100percent