The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #126
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread - Part 1

So I suppose the question becomes...how are they tying in The Great Gatsby in Days of Future Past?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #127
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Gatsby's a mutant.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #128
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Daisy gets kidnapped by Nimrods

Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #129
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Gatsby's a mutant.
He has the mutant ability to be as hedonistic as humanly possible?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #130
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yes, that's true, but it's a lot trickier when the set actually features a design by an artist.
I'm puzzled by this.

Personally, I like the idea of the film being post-X3 because it would tie into DOFP.

Logan did leave The X-Men in one of the many unseen endings of X3 - which according to Kinberg wasn't an alternate ending, but rather an epilogue the studio felt was too dark and somber to end the film with.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #131
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
He has the mutant ability to be as hedonistic as humanly possible?
I was going to say lasers, but that's way better.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #132
BMM
Side-Kick

I'm glad this issue has been resolved. I'm not sure how much I would have liked to have seen The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning in an adaptation of Claremont and Miller's Wolverine.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #133
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I'm glad this issue has been resolved. I'm not sure how much I would have liked to have seen The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning in an adaptation of Claremont and Miller's Wolverine.
Yes, that is a point, though they can't just have entirely standalone films if they want to create a coherent franchise.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #134
JP
Smelly

There has been zero indication that this will tie into DoFP.. and why should it? Why connect this to DoFP when there is zero connection that can be made? Why force connections that aren't there?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #135
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
There has been zero indication that this will tie into DoFP.. and why should it? Why connect this to DoFP when there is zero connection that can be made? Why force connections that aren't there?
If any of it takes place post X3 then I think its ok. Especially if Logan is planned as a part of DOFP. But if its all Pre X1 then yeah leave it out.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #136
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yes, that is a point, though they can't just have entirely standalone films if they want to create a coherent franchise.
We’ve already seen Fox try to use a Wolverine solo film as a last minute stepping stone to a more coherent franchise, and the end result detracted from that film and caused more problems down the line. Hugh Jackman’s involvement, and a semblance of a decade, is about as much of a tie-in as I need. We’re almost six films into this franchise, and almost 2/3s of the way through the First Class trilogy, with no discernible overall arc whatsoever and no guarantee these actors are going to return after their contracts have expired. It’s a little late to try to turn this into Fox’s Avengers, in my opinion. It just needs to be a good film.

I mean, what are they going to do? Spend an entire movie in Japan only to tack on a random assassination, cue the sentinels, cut to credits, and expect that to be enough for audiences to turn out in droves for Days of Future Past, as though they have any idea what they just saw? And what of the loose ends leftover from the original trilogy, and how are the First Class mutants of the 1960s supposed to stop an event that happens after The Last Stand? Not to be a total killjoy, I guess it’s possible somehow, but it just sounds like a mess being heaped on The Wolverine.

Last edited by BMM; 09-11-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #137
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
We’ve already seen Fox try to use a Wolverine solo film as a last minute stepping stone to a more coherent franchise, and the end result detracted from that film and caused more problems down the line. Hugh Jackman’s involvement, and a semblance of a decade, is about as much of a tie-in as I need. We’re almost six films into this franchise, and almost 2/3s of the way through the First Class trilogy, with no discernible overall arc whatsoever and no guarantee these actors are going to return after their contracts have expired. It’s a little late to try to turn this into Fox’s Avengers, in my opinion. It just needs to be a good film.

I mean, what are they going to do? Spend an entire movie in Japan only to tack on a random assassination, cue the sentinels, cut to credits, and expect that to be enough for audiences to turn out in droves for Days of Future Past, as though they have any idea what they just saw? And what of the loose ends leftover from the original trilogy, and how are the First Class mutants of the 1960s supposed to stop an event that happens after The Last Stand? Not to be a total killjoy, I guess it’s possible somehow, but it just sounds like a mess being heaped on The Wolverine.
All valid points that I understand and agree with - but we don't know what they have in mind or if they have any big 'link' in mind. Aside from the weird coincidence of that Jean Grey School emblem, we've had no real indications of The Wolverine leading into anything else.

I agree the ending of XMO: Wolverine did prove a problem in the long run. Once Bryan Singer was enticed back to the franchise and Josh Schwartz's treatment was jettisoned, then that ending no longer served its purpose. That's the danger. If they are going to create these connecting scenes (as Marvel has done, usually only in minor post-credits sequences), they have to have one person overseeing the whole thing (as Feige does with Marvel).

I don't think we're ever going to get true cohesiveness at this stage. That would only happen if one director did a trilogy, like Nolan's Batman or Jackson's LOTR, or if one pre-published storyline was the template to follow without deviation (like the Harry Potter films).

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #138
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If the Wolverine ties Into X-Menays of future Past It would likely be one of 2 ways

1:In main timeframe of film wolverine Is at mansion eather post X2 or Last Stand and leaves for Japan
2:The ending Is flash forward to wolverine at mansion post X2 or last Stand

James Mangold's comment on where The wolverine fits In Film serious cannon hints at more going on that was first thought.

With Days of future Past going Into production In Januray-Spring Fox could have first look at film as The Wolverine's post credit scene

Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #139
JP
Smelly

It's not going to tie into DoFP.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #140
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
It's not going to tie into DoFP.
Yeah but who knows? its FOX.

I feel like there might be a small chance that they are going to tie it with DOFP since they are releasing Wolverine just one year before DOFP. It could build more hype for DOFP especially if Wolverine is gonna appear in that movie too.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #141
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Maybe the film ends with Sentinels or some clear lead-in to DOFP like Mjolnir in IM2 or The Cosmic Cube in Thor.
Yeah, They have done post credits with X3 and XMOW. Since these films are so close to eachother they know exactly what they are leading into, so there shouldnt be any problem with that. If they plan on doing anything I expect it to be end credit type stuff. Which I think is fine, that wont derail from any of the focus and excite people for the next.

Last edited by def28; 09-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #142
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah, They have done post credits with X3 and XMOW. Since these films are so close to eachother they know exactly what they are leading into, so there shouldnt be any problem with that. If they plan on doing anything I expect it to be end credit type stuff. Which I think is fine, that wont derail from any of the focus and excite people for the next.
I don't mind a teaser sequence at the end - though post-credits stuff annoys me because you have to wait too long for it.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #143
narrows101
Side-Kick

Signing autographs - wonder what was filmed there. Nice shirt:

Hugh Jackman @RealHughJackman
Thanks to all the fans in Tomonoura... we loved it! We will miss you! pic.twitter.com/BtyhJow2

Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #144
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't mind a teaser sequence at the end - though post-credits stuff annoys me because you have to wait too long for it.
Yeah, I liked the early credit way they did it for Avengers and Fast Five.

Honestly as long as the film is good I could care less what they tie in. XMOW sucked cause its a badly written movie. The whole flicks just a bad watered down representation of Wolverines Origin with little to no plot, and X3's mistakes were that it didnt give a ****. If they can tie it in with DOFP somewhere without taking away from the initial story and make it work then Im all for it.

Last edited by def28; 09-12-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #145
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Post-credits is the only way they should do a DOFP-tie-in.
THE WOLVERINE was written as a stand-alone, it should stay that way.
Studio interference screwed up X3 and we don't need another X3.

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #146
narrows101
Side-Kick

I don't know what this means but I assume some do:

S Martin ‏@smartin180
@mang0ld Are you shooting Wolverine in Panavision? I remember reading years ago how much you loved it on Identity

James Mangold @mang0ld
@smartin180 anamorphic widescreen. Same format as Identity.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #147
JP
Smelly

I'd love to read it...

Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #148
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

T'is a shame that Ninja's have died out in the last 20 years

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #149
Project862006
Banned User

why do you keep calling it aronfsky script lol he did'nt touch mcquarrie's script

darren is not really a writer he best works are not from scripts of his own

Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #150
runningman3000
Side-Kick

Tom Rothman Leaving 20th century fox!

Quote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...century-370515

"Studio co-chairman Jim Gianopulos will run the film studio as 20th TV co-chairs Dana Walden and Gary Newman will now report to News Corp. COO Chase Carey"
Wondering how this will affect wolverine and X-men series??

Closed Thread