The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #101
superhero#1
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Michael Shannon IS General Zod - Part 3

I think zod and co do come in spaceships, How else they gonna get to earth?They won't gain superpowers until they get to earth.The spaceships make sense.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #102
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
But why shouldn't he be able to create something like a teleportation machine? It's something that we're already working on in reality. I understand what you mean by improving already existing technology, and I agree, but something like teleportation should be possible in this universe. Although the homemade phantom zone projector and mind control machine would be lame imo...The MCU will soon have a man that uses a combination of technology and particles to shrink himself; DC needs to start with a bang, because they have a lot of ground to cover scientifically. Since Emil Hamilton will be in MoS, I'm hoping for S.T.A.R. Labs to make an appearance and show off some advanced technology.
As far as most people know, teleportation is 100% pure sci-fi. As such, improving on what we have currently, teleporting a lot of information, would be fine and cool and swell, and a little bit badarse if he explained it right and it was used well. Taking that to the purely sci-fi realm of teleporting people... meh. But again, all this goes out the window when he gets access to sci-fi tech, like Zod's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
... I also want his sheer genius to be conveyed properly and that should be shown in his technology.What sets him apart is that he's able to achieve and create things that most human scientists cannot. It's one of the reasons why he's such a formidable opponent for Superman.
I definitely, definitely don't think his genius should come across primarily in his technology. It's one thing to do something most human scientists cannot do. That's awesome and necessary. It's another thing to do something no human scientist could ever hope to do. That's weak, and shows he's not smart, he's a cartoon with special reality-ignoring powers. I think he should be formidable because of his intelligence and resourcefulness, not because of his inventing skills, though should be incidental, imho.

I think that's why it's important that Zod come first, because Zod brings with him tech and DNA that can be left over for Lex Luthor to manipulate and become an incredibly formidable opponent for Superman. #Ontopic?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #103
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
As far as most people know, teleportation is 100% pure sci-fi. As such, improving on what we have currently, teleporting a lot of information, would be fine and cool and swell, and a little bit badarse if he explained it right and it was used well. Taking that to the purely sci-fi realm of teleporting people... meh. But again, all this goes out the window when he gets access to sci-fi tech, like Zod's.

I definitely, definitely don't think his genius should come across primarily in his technology. It's one thing to do something most human scientists cannot do. That's awesome and necessary. It's another thing to do something no human scientist could ever hope to do. That's weak, and shows he's not smart, he's a cartoon with special reality-ignoring powers. I think he should be formidable because of his intelligence and resourcefulness, not because of his inventing skills, though should be incidental, imho.

I think that's why it's important that Zod come first, because Zod brings with him tech and DNA that can be left over for Lex Luthor to manipulate and become an incredibly formidable opponent for Superman. #Ontopic?
Lex's natural knack for technology/science is one of the cool things about him imo. I'm not saying I want his intelligence to come across primarily in his inventions(he has many ways of doing that), but I do want to see his expertise with it on screen. It's not about reality-ignoring powers, this isn't our reality. This is the DC reality, where things occur that are not possible in our own. I want a Lex that can invent incredible things, that's just my personal preference. Even though I wouldn't necessarily put it in a movie, I'd want to see a Luthor that is capable of figuring out something as complicated as teleportation.

I do agree with Lex using tech and DNA from Zod, but I also want him capable of scientific feats on his own. These are comic book movies first and foremost, where mortal men are capable of impossible things with science. I'm personally hoping for technology and science in these movies closer to the MCU side of things, where human scientists can do things that no other scientist can do.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 09-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #104
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Shannon- "I felt like I was in a scene with Superman and not a guy trying..."
That was really good to hear coming from him.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #105
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
As far as most people know, teleportation is 100% pure sci-fi.
I know you're saying that there are levels of plausability and that suspension of disbelief can only go so far before it becomes farcical but it's not that much of a stretch for me.

Sure, given the sheer number of atoms in the human body it's certainly a tough nut [that I truly dont know we're ever going] to crack but if we can actually teleport singular atoms now, in the real world, and on-screen we have a world in which there are aliens on earth who can fly and are invulnerable, in my mind it's not so much of a leap in plausability to say that [in that very same on-screen world] they we found a way of teleporting the complex atomic structure of the human body.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #106
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

So judging from the new info and descriptions we have, it seems that this version of Krypton was a very inhospitable planet, almost like a nightmarish vision of Earth if the Blade Runner comparisons are correct. I wonder how that could have lead to the creation of a man like Zod.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #107
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm praying they make him an idealist who wants to create a better Krypton now.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #108
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Definitely. There's an image that described him being shackled as they imprison him, really makes me wonder how exactly his time spent in the Zone wil affect his views. I'd think if anything he'd come out a whole lot more militant (if that's possible for a guy like Zod) but I wonder how he'll feel about Kal-El. It could really go any direction knowing the N/G writing team

Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #109
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Well, it partially depends on what he thinks of Jor-El, I guess. Stamp's Zod was like "6 people sentenced me, but the last one who did will fell 100% of my wrath. And his heirs". Which is beyond retarded.

Hopefully this one will be more complex. Jor-el could even not be presented as a heroic figure, if he's part of the State that makes Krypton so bad. Or maybe Jor-El's fighting the system from within. Maybe Zod wants to use Kal-El. Maybe Zod and Jor-El departed as friends and there's a twist in the myth here (although that would make Zod and Superman's animosity a bit trickier to create).

SO many possibilities.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #110
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Indeed.
I'm actually more excited about the Krypton scenes than I am the rest the film at the moment.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #111
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I do believe that they're gonna make Krypton an essential part of this franchise. Which is good. I don't even care about the planet's screentime. The fact that they're including Krypton technology and buildings as part of the final fight is encouraging. So is the fact that the suit is Kryptonian.

Combine that with what his ideals and mission are, they've got the most possibilities to achieve a "torn between legacies" thematic. Zod is a genius choice for this flick if they're going where I think they're going.

Last edited by Gianakin_; 09-14-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #112
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I really,really hope that they don't "blow up the balloon" so to speak, (ok maybe a liitle).

For me the ideal is that this trilogy would end Clark's story much like Bruce's was, with perhaps taking it's cues from All-Star Superman. For me that'd be the absolute best.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #113
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I want a far more polarizing and dramatic ending for Superman than for Batman. It's not that Superman won't get challenged and beaten down, but Nolan absolutely sodomized Bruce throught his journey. He was cruelly punished throughout his life and the ending we got in TDKR was more than deserving for the character.

What do you mean with "blowing up the balloon"? It's a bit early to talk about that in the sense Nolan mentioned it with regard to TDKR, innit?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #114
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Yeah I meant more of a potential third act there, sequels gotta have Brainiac wrecking havoc on a massive scale whilst part three should be, at least in my eyes, smaller and more intimate. Superman dying perhaps, maybe have Lex be the main villain once again and potentially explore the Clark/Lois relationship, can they have children? That sort of thing.

The ideal ending I have in my head for Superman's journey would be him flying into the dying sun, giving his life to reignite it as the ultimate sacrifisal act.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #115
dark_b
Side-Kick

blowing up the balloon like as in a TO good movie ?

i hope they make the best movie possible. as of right now i am looking at this movie as the last movie. franchise? who cares its not going to happen ( in context i am talking about MOS. there is nothing befor eand nothing after MOS). we and they are not in a position to think about a better movie in 4 years. its MOS or nothing. holding back for sequels is not a good idea.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #116
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah I meant more of a potential third act there, sequels gotta have Brainiac wrecking havoc on a massive scale whilst part three should be, at least in my eyes, smaller and more intimate. Superman dying perhaps, maybe have Lex be the main villain once again and potentially explore the Clark/Lois relationship, can they have children? That sort of thing.

The ideal ending I have in my head for Superman's journey would be him flying into the dying sun, giving his life to reignite it as the ultimate sacrifisal act.
I wouldn't be opposed to a "smaller" 3rd flick, but only if MoS2's scale is bigger than TDK and TDKR's combined (I actually think TDKR is smaller in scale than TDK). I also wouldn't be opposed to the idea of MoS3 being loosely co-based on Kingdom Come (and All-Star), where we get a MUCH older Luthor and perhaps a world where Lois is dead.

At this point, an All-Star ending would be ideal in my mind. Makes the scale of the finale itself global.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #117
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Well considering it's Nolan and Goyer I'm fairly sure they'll go in one story at a time, compete said story as best they can and then regroup at a later date to see where they could take it after the fact.

Considering there's a whole host of stories to pick and choose from, I think it's interesting to speculate where potential story beats could lead.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #118
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to a "smaller" 3rd flick, but only if MoS2's scale is bigger than TDK and TDKR's combined (I actually think TDKR is smaller in scale than TDK). I also wouldn't be opposed to the idea of MoS3 being loosely co-based on Kingdom Come (and All-Star), where we get a MUCH older Luthor and perhaps a world where Lois is dead.

At this point, an All-Star ending would be ideal in my mind. Makes the scale of the finale itself global.
It almost elevates Superman into something of mythic proportions, didn't Snyder call Superman the "God-king of Superheroes" or something?

Also, there's a scene in All-Star that really sums it up well. I think it was during the second last issue where Supes is going across the world and galaxy doing his best to sort of fix all these worldwide and even galactic problems, yet in between it all he still has a moment to save a single teenage girl from committing suicide. That's a bigger scale, and a more personal side aswell.

Last edited by Roose Bolton; 09-14-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #119
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

King-Daddy. God-King's Xerxes.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #120
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I can see Supes getting freaky with the Persians

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #121
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I could try to edit Supes in the scene where Ephialtes goes to find Xerxes and he witnesses the orgy.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #122
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I'd buy ten copies

Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #123
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It'd be for free.

But they need to shoot an appropriate pose for Supes to maximize hilarity.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #124
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Well the last series yielded the now famous drunk Superman, I can only imagine the shenanigans Cavil gets up to.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #125
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Deviantman.

Closed Thread