I'll Deal With It 20 8.93%
Remains To Be Seen 56 25.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

I don't hate Routh, and I think he gets way too much **** for that movie.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #52
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I don't hate Routh, and I think he gets way too much **** for that movie.
I don't hate him either, but I truly dislike (read HATE) his Superman.

I agree Routh is probably a good guy, but that doesn't make me like him as Superman. As it is...I want Cavill to make generations feel the way C. Reeve made people feel after he played the role. I don't care about the suit....I don't care about his power level.... I just want the GA to love him and remember him like C. Reeve. I don't know a person alive who doesn't/didn't know Christopher Reeve as Superman. He EMBODIED that role. He didn't just try to act like someone else. HE WAS SUPERMAN!!!! I hope Cavill is able to achieve the same.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #53
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

That was such a wonderful interview.

I thought the choice of questions was great, and Cavill's answers were perfect. And not in that 'it's obvious he's been told what to say' way. His response to Superman being called a boring boy scout was much too well said to be anything but his actual opinion. And the fact that he shares that opinion with myself and so many of Superman's fans is really really great

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #54
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

I concur, great interview

Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #55
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I agree he does interviews very well, I really hope I can say in a year from now that this man is the Superman for the ages.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #56
Glassjaw
In training

Don't have much to add except agree, a great interview. I don't know why but I see the fact that he can articulate himself and talk about the subject so well, to be a factor in being able to really bring a great performance. So long as he gets good dialogue and Supe's journey is good, I can't imagine a situation where Cavill doesn't deliver.

Something I've always thought interesting, is he's obviously done his research. Like hopefuldreamer pointed out, his answer to Superman being a boy scout and not interesting wasn't rehearsed, it seems more like an opinion based on his own research, his own reading of the comics. Which makes me wonder: at Comic Con, when asked what reading he had done for the role, had he been told to not mention Earth One and Birthright? I think we have a pretty good idea they're major inspirations for this take on the character. It seems odd that he would mentioned the (still brilliant) Red Son and not those. Do you think its because if he did mention those, it would be essentially giving the basic structure/plot of the film?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #57
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I'm not sure. He's mentioned Red Son every time he was asked what material he's read. I think he also mentioned reading the New Krypton saga.

It may be that those just happen to be the ones that pop into his head, or it may be as you said, he has been told to steer away from mentioning the ones that are closest to the plot.

P.S. Where in Somerset are you from Glassjaw?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #58
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I'm not sure. He's mentioned Red Son every time he was asked what material he's read. I think he also mentioned reading the New Krypton saga.

It may be that those just happen to be the ones that pop into his head, or it may be as you said, he has been told to steer away from mentioning the ones that are closest to the plot.

P.S. Where in Somerset are you from Glassjaw?
Yeah that's what had me thinking, those books haven't been name checked yet, there're very suspicious in their absence!

I'm in a small village like 10minutes outside of Street, so near Glastonbury, Bridgwater etc. Pretty quiet area, not much to do except wait for films a year away to get released

Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #59
Slugster
the Slugster

The only thing wrong with Routh, is Singer. It had a bad suit, hair and nothing other than the plane save was really eppic.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #60
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Yeah that's what had me thinking, those books haven't been name checked yet, there're very suspicious in their absence!

I'm in a small village like 10minutes outside of Street, so near Glastonbury, Bridgwater etc. Pretty quiet area, not much to do except wait for films a year away to get released
Cool I'm from Minehead so I know the area. Just moved to Bristol a few months back, and definitely enjoying having a bit more choice of what to do! We didn't even have a real cinema in Minehead!

*\S/T*
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #61
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Cool I'm from Minehead so I know the area. Just moved to Bristol a few months back, and definitely enjoying having a bit more choice of what to do! We didn't even have a real cinema in Minehead!
Mmmm Forbidden Planet Bristol Would love to live near that.
It's about 30mins drive to a cinema from here, come MoS though I'll be making the longer treck to London the Waterloo Imax. Probably going to end up at another 3am showing like I did for Watchmen

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #62
Ursa
Villainess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
The only thing wrong with Routh, is Singer. It had a bad suit, hair and nothing other than the plane save was really eppic.
Routh has NO charisma.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #63
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Mmmm Forbidden Planet Bristol Would love to live near that.
It's about 30mins drive to a cinema from here, come MoS though I'll be making the longer treck to London the Waterloo Imax. Probably going to end up at another 3am showing like I did for Watchmen
Haha that's exactly my plan! I'm gonna make as big a deal as possible about seeing that for the first time

And I was lucky with Watchmen, I was at uni in Cardiff so got to go to a midnight veiwing... though it was 3am by the time we got out lol.

And yeah, Forbidden Planet's pretty cool, though I never buy anything because it's always cheaper online and i'm broke

*\S/T*
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #64
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I don't hate Routh but I don't love him either. He was sort of meh in Superman Returns.

At first I thought it might of been the script but I've seen Routh in over stuff and his just a bit bland to be honest.

The west country Yarp

Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #65
shauner111
Side-Kick

I cant stand Routh as Superman.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #66
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Routh's performance is underrated by many.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #67
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Routh was a good Clark and good as Superman the existential brooder, but not very convincing as Superman the inspirational figure. Though to Singer's credit Supes in the movie was a lot of the former. I wonder, then, if Routh got to play morw of the latter how far would he be able to carry it?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #68
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

There is a Routh thread, folks.

This is the Cavill thread.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #69
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I love his choice of words everytime he speaks about superman. I wonder if he'll take part in writing future superman movies cause he seems to really get superman.....I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit......we still gotta see if he can potray superman, but it would be nice if he nails it, that he could do what CR did with the role

Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #70
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't have much to add except agree, a great interview. I don't know why but I see the fact that he can articulate himself and talk about the subject so well, to be a factor in being able to really bring a great performance. So long as he gets good dialogue and Supe's journey is good, I can't imagine a situation where Cavill doesn't deliver.

Something I've always thought interesting, is he's obviously done his research. Like hopefuldreamer pointed out, his answer to Superman being a boy scout and not interesting wasn't rehearsed, it seems more like an opinion based on his own research, his own reading of the comics. Which makes me wonder: at Comic Con, when asked what reading he had done for the role, had he been told to not mention Earth One and Birthright? I think we have a pretty good idea they're major inspirations for this take on the character. It seems odd that he would mentioned the (still brilliant) Red Son and not those. Do you think its because if he did mention those, it would be essentially giving the basic structure/plot of the film?
Actually Cavill mentioned liking earth one although he pionted out that he knew it was a mixed bag among fans.That tells a lot of the kind of research hes been doing.He mentioned a third book which i cant seem to rembr but has twice stated red so to be his favorite.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #71
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I know he also mentioned really liking the Death of Superman (and the Return) as a reference points to the lengths Superman was willing to go and what he meant to the world.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #72
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I downright appreciate Cavill. He is not only well-spoken and dedicated, but he's very humble and approachable/likable. Despite the recent criticisms from The Cold Light of Day (performance-wise), I remain confident in Cavill's acting skills. He was damn good on The Tudors.

Keep in mind, for those out there jumping on Henry, Fassbender's acting abilities were called into question several times when signed on to basically play a ****ty character.

I truly hope Man of Steel is a smashing success. Cavill honesty deserves it.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #73
sf2
Side-Kick

Some much 'love' to cavill when we dont even see a proper scene of MOS .

Or if MOS failed, I wonder how much of these 'love' will remain. Same treatment like routh?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #74
Glassjaw
In training

It's not so much that because he's a popular choice with some, that we'll just look past a really bad performance and proclaim he's the best thing since sliced bread. If he puts in a bad performance in a good film, or a bad performance in a bad film, there'll be very little to defend.

It's more that, since we know so little, and haven't seen a single scene, we have to extract a lot out of the few facts we do know. Things such as him having done his research, and knowing very well what the role requires, and the physical transformation he went through, at least suggests he has the best possible chance of giving us a great Superman. There's 'love' for him because it seems he's treated the role and responsibility as seriously as any Superman fan could want him to. Which is great for now, but it doesn't mean the final verdict is in.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #75
Vaibow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Some much 'love' to cavill when we dont even see a proper scene of MOS .

Or if MOS failed, I wonder how much of these 'love' will remain. Same treatment like routh?
Singer gave Routh the gig simply from looks, he thought well, the kid is no oscar winner, but will get by. Sadly, in some scenes, the direction was all wrong. I do feel Routh would have been good, had he been allowed to do superman/clark in a totally original way - but we will never know.. sadly the material he has produced since, hasn't been great.

Imagine if they had made a batman vs superman, bale and routh.. how would bale have taken to routh?? another audio file leaked of him saying 'how the ***** did you get the gig, you walk like that one more time robot boy and you will never work with me again.. i am done.. done working with you....' lol

Closed Thread