The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #101
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Default Re: Peggy's status

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It's never an official internet flamefest until somebody throws a little homophobia into the mix, is it. *sigh*

I just said that those two were of compatible gender and orientation.

They're a straight man and a straight woman, far as we know. Ergo, they're compatible with each other.

So would two gay men, a straight woman and a bisexual man, and so on.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #102
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Assuming if the Date listed at the very top right corner of the paper is her birth date, Peggy was born on April 9, 1919; which would make her 93 in 2012 and would have made her 26 in 1945.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #103
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

Assuming if the Date listed at the very top right corner of the paper is her birth date, Peggy was born on April 9, 1919; which would make her 93 in 2012 and would have made her 26 in 1945.
And if you want to read a lot more into the document as something MS gave a lot of thought to (not likely, but hey), you could even say that it gives you an idea of when the SSR officially became SHIELD.

The last entry shows Peggy as still active in the "SSR" through 1985. That would put her at 65-66 years old, the obvious time for her to take her retirement. So adding to that, we know that the SSR hadn't converted to the SHIELD monicker until at least the mid-80s. Which seems to be when the original dossier was compiled.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #104
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Convenient on how they just show enough not to reference on that sheet if she ever got married or had children of her own.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #105
CGHulk
Green Guy

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #106
mynameschris

The odd thing is how they never updated the picture on her file.

mynameschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #107
Orphix
Side-Kick

lol @mynameschris - nice one!

I have to say those document/props aren't a reliable source of info AT ALL!!!

There is one for Tony Stark. It gives his date of birth as late April 1970. And his parents death as 17 Dec 1991.

So (you may ask)?

Well he inherited Stark Industries when he came of age when he was 21 (according to IM1). If he was born in 1970 he would have been 21 years of age when his pappy died and there would have been never any need for Stane to run the company.

Canon can only be applied to thearical release material. You can use other sources for building up the MCU BUT these are very much secondary (or even tertiary) and include things like novelisations, comicbook tie ins, etc. However, if they contradict the theatrical release then the film takes precedence.

The really big problem is when the theatrical releases actually contradict each other...which has happened, annoyingly, a few times!

Orphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #108
optimus2861
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphix View Post
Well he inherited Stark Industries when he came of age when he was 21 (according to IM1). If he was born in 1970 he would have been 21 years of age when his pappy died and there would have been never any need for Stane to run the company.
That little contradiction can be explained: Howard may have had some provision in his will that stated Tony could only own the company in trust until he was 25 or 30, so while Tony owned the company he couldn't be actively involved in controlling/managing it.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #109
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
That little contradiction can be explained: Howard may have had some provision in his will that stated Tony could only own the company in trust until he was 25 or 30, so while Tony owned the company he couldn't be actively involved in controlling/managing it.
Actually the first movie says that Tony took over at 21.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #110
swordwhale

(spoilers, though I suspect you've all seen it by now)

OK, some diehard comic fan pleeeeease tell me why didn't Steve look up Peggy before that scene in CA: TWS... I mean, how did she NOT know he was alive (and out there saving New York and all).. and how did he NOT know she was still alive....

ARRRRGHHHHHHH! (it was still a sweet scene)

swordwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #111
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordwhale View Post
(spoilers, though I suspect you've all seen it by now)

OK, some diehard comic fan pleeeeease tell me why didn't Steve look up Peggy before that scene in CA: TWS... I mean, how did she NOT know he was alive (and out there saving New York and all).. and how did he NOT know she was still alive....

ARRRRGHHHHHHH! (it was still a sweet scene)
He knew she was still alive (that scene in Avengers where he is not sure about calling her)

And she seems to be have Alzheimer in CA2

Just_Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #112
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

The impression I got was that he visits her regularly and the his visit we saw wasn't the first.

She just forgets sometimes.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #113
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Agreed, from the subject matter and tenor of the conversation and the way they interact he visits her regularly. When Peggy has that episode of Dementia we see the reaction she probably had when she first saw him again after almost 70 years. How calmly Steve reacts, how he talks to and soothes her, gives her water speaks to how often he's done this. Though it obviously hurts him he's not shocked or thrown.

The Russos said in an long audio interview with Empire - that visiting Peggy and the Smithsonian (to see a young Peggy, to see Bucky, The Howling Commandos and his past) is something he does routinely.

TalismanRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #114
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
Agreed, from the subject matter and tenor of the conversation and the way they interact he visits her regularly. When Peggy has that episode of Dementia we see the reaction she probably had when she first saw him again after almost 70 years. How calmly Steve reacts, how he talks to and soothes her, gives her water speaks to how often he's done this. Though it obviously hurts him he's not shocked or thrown.

The Russos said in an long audio interview with Empire - that visiting Peggy and the Smithsonian (to see a young Peggy, to see Bucky, The Howling Commandos and his past) is something he does routinely.
I agree with you! but when I first watched the film I didn't know that he visited regularly until I watched interviews so it makes more sense, but do you think they could have made that slightly more clear in the film because it sort of jumps straight to the Peggy scene and I would have liked slightly more build up towards it, but obviously if he visits regularly you couldn't have something like that Avengers deleted scene before it etc

I wonder what happens with old Peggy now because the scene ends and we don't see her at the end of the film etc, so I wonder if she will be in Cap 3, her funeral maybe?

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #115
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

I'm thinking one of the early scenes will be her funeral, perhaps borrowing from Captain America vol 6 #1.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #116
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I'm thinking one of the early scenes will be her funeral, perhaps borrowing from Captain America vol 6 #1.
Yeah, I think that is what will happen, one of the early scenes in Cap 3 will be her funeral and Sharon attends from the CIA.

Cap will ask something like 'What are you doing here? Did you know her or something?' and Sharon will finally come out with that she was her Aunt and her name is Sharon Carter and then that will set up their relationship throughout the Cap 3 film.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #117
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
I agree with you! but when I first watched the film I didn't know that he visited regularly until I watched interviews so it makes more sense, but do you think they could have made that slightly more clear in the film because it sort of jumps straight to the Peggy scene and I would have liked slightly more build up towards it, but obviously if he visits regularly you couldn't have something like that Avengers deleted scene before it etc

I wonder what happens with old Peggy now because the scene ends and we don't see her at the end of the film etc, so I wonder if she will be in Cap 3, her funeral maybe?
I don't think the scene needed anything to lead up to it but a brief transition scene after with him talking to a Dr or nurse about how it had been a good or bad day this week would have made it crystal clear that this is a regular visit.

TalismanRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #118
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
I don't think the scene needed anything to lead up to it but a brief transition scene after with him talking to a Dr or nurse about how it had been a good or bad day this week would have made it crystal clear that this is a regular visit.
I think that would have been perfect! It instantly shows the audience he visits regularly while the doctor is telling us him and the audience her condition. I'm actually surprised the filmmakers didn't do something like that.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #119
speno94
Side-Kick

Even though I loved the scene and it makes sense now that he visits regularly. I somewhat in a way wish that we saw Steve visit old Peggy for the FIRST time and his initial shock and his reaction, but I understand you couldn't have done that other than flashback and the film takes place 2 years after Avengers, so it wouldn't take him this long to see her for the first time, so this was probably the best option.

But like TalismanRing said, the part where she forgets is sort of like how she would react seeing him for the first time, so we get the best of both worlds with that scene.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #120
Windows
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Yeah, I think that is what will happen, one of the early scenes in Cap 3 will be her funeral and Sharon attends from the CIA.

Cap will ask something like 'What are you doing here? Did you know her or something?' and Sharon will finally come out with that she was her Aunt and her name is Sharon Carter and then that will set up their relationship throughout the Cap 3 film.
I really wish they would have hinted at their relationship in CA2, besides having Natasha set them up. There wasn't that much of a romantic vibe during the laundry chat, and by the end of CA2, Steve and Sharon are still at square one, that is, as acquaintances. If they don't start building their relationship in CA3 until after Steve finds out that Sharon is related to Peggy, then that would kind of be weird.

Quote:
Canon can only be applied to thearical release material. You can use other sources for building up the MCU BUT these are very much secondary (or even tertiary) and include things like novelisations, comicbook tie ins, etc. However, if they contradict the theatrical release then the film takes precedence.

The really big problem is when the theatrical releases actually contradict each other...which has happened, annoyingly, a few times!
This is why we need a Leland Chee for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #121
hafizbat
Side-Kick

They could take a direction like Brubaker's run, where someone starts killing off all of Cap's WWII buddies. Dum Dum and the others could still be alive, and someone murdering Peggy is sure to fire things up.

hafizbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #122
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

It didn't come across as the first time he visited her, and her dementia was pretty clear from that scene too, and not that she was just seeing him for the first time.