This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
cryptic name
No Limits

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I was checked out of the movie the second his helmet came off. I would have the following a pass;

a) Officers take the helmet off when Dredd is arrested.

b) The helmet (and uniform) comes off before he is checked out into the cursed earth.

c) The helmet comes off in darkness but Dredd's features are rearranged by a machine, I guess to resemble Stallone.

If they'd done any of the above I could have lived with sans helmet Dredd, but the nonchalant why the helmet comes off was a middle finger to the fans.
I absolutely agree. I dunno, the whole framed/cursed earth story is problematic for this reason. I like that they tried to do the Rico story and introduced the Angel family but...ugh it just sucks so much.

If they do the cursed Earth in a hypothetical sequel to this Dredd, I hope they go with a version of the comics story where Dredd has to lead a caravan to deliver the cure to a plague that's ravaging another Mega City. Go all Road Warrior with it. Could be really cool.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

God...just watching this makes me facepalm.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
they were just boned by Stallone's vanity and a desired pg-13 rating
Was it really Stallone's fault? Because I often come across people saying that Stallone wanted to keep the helmet on, but the Studio heads paid for his face, so he needed to take the helmet off.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
God...just watching this makes me facepalm.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I AM!

THE LAW!

Good God, I'd almost forgotten how awful Stallone's acting was in this movie. And I don't even think he's a bad actor like Arnold, Dolph, Chuck and some of his other action movie counterparts. But wow. He sure gave an awful performance in that movie.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
metaphysician
Side-Kick

You know, I don't actually think Dredd did *change* in the remake. He's a hardass certainly, but he's a hardass who does things like:

1. Give a harmless beggar fair warning to stop lawbreaking rather than letting him go unwarned

2. Took down a couple kids nonlethally who were pointing guns at him, because they were clearly dumb kids over their heads

3. Told Anderson that "99% certain isn't good enough to execute a man."

Dredd at the end of the movie didn't soften his views on the law. Rather, he softened his views on *Anderson*, who showed that she was both learning the lessons, and had judgement and conviction to match her idealism.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

I've seen clips of Stallone's Dredd film but I never got around and watch the entire thing. I may have to find a way to watch it.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
You know, I don't actually think Dredd did *change* in the remake. He's a hardass certainly, but he's a hardass who does things like:

1. Give a harmless beggar fair warning to stop lawbreaking rather than letting him go unwarned

2. Took down a couple kids nonlethally who were pointing guns at him, because they were clearly dumb kids over their heads

3. Told Anderson that "99% certain isn't good enough to execute a man."

Dredd at the end of the movie didn't soften his views on the law. Rather, he softened his views on *Anderson*, who showed that she was both learning the lessons, and had judgement and conviction to match her idealism.
But in the process, he softened his black and white perspective. Anderson says herself that she failed the test early on because she lost her gun. Dredd mentioned that constitutes an immediate fail. Yet, in the end, he passes her. He learns that maybe not everything can or should be taken at face value, that there are, in fact, grey areas. Though subtle, that's a pretty big change for a character like Dredd IMO.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Was it really Stallone's fault? Because I often come across people saying that Stallone wanted to keep the helmet on, but the Studio heads paid for his face, so he needed to take the helmet off.
What I've heard from Danny Cannon is that the film underwent some fairly significant changes to suit Stallone's wishes. I'm sure the studio wanted it that way too, though.

What I've always wondered is, if they wanted Stallone's face, why didn't they have him play Rico as well as Dredd? The two are supposed to be clones, afterall. And it would have been a potentially cool thing to see. Oh well. We have an actual Dredd flick now.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Exactly Balthus, the Dredd at the start of the movie would have definately failed Anderson for losing her weapon, but through his interactions with her and obviously what they went through together he softened, looked at the world a little differently, especially by the end.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
What I've heard from Danny Cannon is that the film underwent some fairly significant changes to suit Stallone's wishes. I'm sure the studio wanted it that way too, though.

What I've always wondered is, if they wanted Stallone's face, why didn't they have him play Rico as well as Dredd? The two are supposed to be clones, afterall. And it would have been a potentially cool thing to see. Oh well. We have an actual Dredd flick now.
Helmet or no helmet... that didn't bother me. But that stupid codpiece... seriously, what were they thinking with that horrid thing?

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
cryptic name
No Limits

It gets its own close up too...

I believe in Batfleck
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

A close up that would make Joel Schumacher proud.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Dredd has tanked at the box office But has mostly positive reviews from both critics&fans and maybe dvd/blu-ray sales&rentals will do decent that a sequel will be greenlit
,I'm doubting it right now But I'm hoping so bad that one day in the near future I read and article with the headline reading"Dredd gets a sequel AND Karl Urban returns for the role"

Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Spark
Side-Kick

I still think a sequel is on the cards.

Oh and Giant was originally failed before he went on to redeem himself. Sometimes the circumstances require a bit of leeway.

Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
grout
Side-Kick

Aside from Looper this weekend,, I cant see why it can make some good money. I hope!

grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Spark
Side-Kick

Apparently there is yet another animated film released this weekend.

Maybe we were just poor and there were fewer of them about but we used to watch those things on TV. It seems parents are too tied up with the latest 3D animated shiz to see stuff for themselves.

Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #19
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Helmet or no helmet... that didn't bother me. But that stupid codpiece... seriously, what were they thinking with that horrid thing?
Dredd without his helmet, for me at least is a big deal. Dredd never takes his helmet off, ever* so that would be like Batman without the cowl**, Superman without the cape***, Spider-Man without the mask****.

* Dredd has appeared without his mask but;
Had his face rearranged by a machine.
Had bandages covering his face.

** Batman has appeared in several elseworld tales without his cowl

*** Electric Superman had no cape

**** Spider-Man is forever taking his mask off in the comics and movies

All of that is true but Dredd is perticular is famous for not taking his mask off so more than any other superhero it IS a big deal.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post

THANK YOU!!!!

I've said the same for years [many a time in here, no less].

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #21
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Saw it yesterday in 3d. Didn't want to see it in 3d, just wanted to see the movie. But when I went to the theater they said the listing online was wrong and they only had 3d. I hate 3d movies.

The movie itself was good, not great. After the novelty of the first few kills wears off I didn't find it very interesting. It's a decent action movie, it'll make for a good sequel, but I wonder if the "slo-mo" gimmick is gonna be used again? Just like the first few kills, that wore off after the first few times too.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #22
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

There's not really going to be a readilly available source of Slo-Mo out there in the Cursed Earth, so I'd say the 'gimmick' most likely be seen if again if a sequel gets made. The Slo-Mo served a purpose in this movie - absolutely no real need to carry it over into the next imo.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #23
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Dredd without his helmet, for me at least is a big deal. Dredd never takes his helmet off, ever* so that would be like Batman without the cowl**, Superman without the cape***, Spider-Man without the mask****.

* Dredd has appeared without his mask but;
Had his face rearranged by a machine.
Had bandages covering his face.

** Batman has appeared in several elseworld tales without his cowl

*** Electric Superman had no cape

**** Spider-Man is forever taking his mask off in the comics and movies

All of that is true but Dredd is perticular is famous for not taking his mask off so more than any other superhero it IS a big deal.
Agreed, though Dredd was also seen without his helmet for the 'Dead Man' story, however he was badly scarred (had been badly burned all over his body) with no memory, so the readers didn't know it was Dredd until near the end of that story. We did learn from that one though that his bionic eyes (acquired after having his real eyes torn out during City of the Damned) have square Irises.

But that is the point: No artist has ever been allowed to draw Dredd's actual face fully, nor should they. It's kinda like the Doctor Doom deal.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Saw it yesterday in 3d. Didn't want to see it in 3d, just wanted to see the movie. But when I went to the theater they said the listing online was wrong and they only had 3d. I hate 3d movies.

The movie itself was good, not great. After the novelty of the first few kills wears off I didn't find it very interesting. It's a decent action movie, it'll make for a good sequel, but I wonder if the "slo-mo" gimmick is gonna be used again? Just like the first few kills, that wore off after the first few times too.
Geeze,, "novelty" "gimmick"...critical much??

The gimmick, was showing the effect of the drug they took.. It was for the purpose of showing that viewpoint.. I thought that was pretty amazing.

The novelty, if he had to kill in order to survive how does that qualify as a novelty.

If you didnt like the movie or the "gimmick" and/or "novelty" served 0 purpose for the movie I could understand.

Im glad you enjoyed the movie but what your saying sounds like "I love to go to car races, I just hate when they go fast, i hope they have more car races".

I dont understand....

Last edited by grout; 09-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.
grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

Loved the movie, just watched it last night. I hope they do a sequel.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Mike_D202 is offline   Reply With Quote