The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: Which mask should wolverine have in a movie?
The tan and brown mask 58 49.57%
The yellow and blue mask 22 18.80%
Neither, it won't work for a movie 37 31.62%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #176
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wolverine's Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
I'm pretty sure if Mangold & Bomback kept the scene featuring the costume in the film, audiences would cheer (specially with the brutal carnage that follows).
Agreed. Thats the kind of stuff Wolverine fans have been waiting to see since X1. I couldnt see anyone complaining over it if that scene was brought to the screen.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #177
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Agreed. Thats the kind of stuff Wolverine fans have been waiting to see since X1. I couldnt see anyone complaining over it if that scene was brought to the screen.
Here's hoping Mangold & Bomback didn't alter Aronofsky's draft too much (it definitely went through alot of changes).

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #178
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if Mangold & Bomback kept the scene featuring the costume in the film, audiences would cheer (specially with the brutal carnage that follows).
That would rock. More for the comic book geeks, but nonetheless it would rock!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #179
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
That would rock. More for the comic book geeks, but nonetheless it would rock!
I just gotta give Aronofsky props for finding a brilliant way to put it in there.

It couldn't be the same as it is with Batman or Superman's costumes. He really has nothing to hide from.

But to make it a tool that emphasizes Mariko's pain in seeing the man she loves slaughter dozens of people makes it both iconic and poignant.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
She looks for him in the masked beast murdering the Yakuza and finds him through the eyes.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #180
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think that would depend on how the costume looks.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #181
Mr.?
Side-Kick

Can someone tell me in the script how it's written why he wears a mask?

Mr.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #182
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.? View Post
Can someone tell me in the script how it's written why he wears a mask
he breaks into a dressing room at an opera in Tokyo where a Yakuza boss sits in the front row. Wolverine grabs a costume off a rack (the brown and orange costume) to blend in and walks onto the stage. He then kills everyone in the front row. At first the audience thinks its part of the play but then people start shooting at Wolverine so people begin to storm out of the theatre. Amongst them are Mariko and Noburo - who's personal security rushes to get out. Mariko manages to lock eyes with Wolverine through the mask and she cries as he slaughters the Yakuza. As soon as she's out of his periphery, he chops a guy's head off right behind him.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #183
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I just gotta give Aronofsky props for finding a brilliant way to put it in there.

It couldn't be the same as it is with Batman or Superman's costumes. He really has nothing to hide from.

But to make it a tool that emphasizes Mariko's pain in seeing the man she loves slaughter dozens of people makes it both iconic and poignant.

She looks for him in the masked beast murdering the Yakuza and finds him through the eyes.
The only other way I can think of to introduce the costume and mask would be for it to be part of a psychological ritual to help Logan separate the man from the animal.

Giving him a mask and costume and sending him on a mission would be their way of making him embrace the animal while in the costume - and then shut that part of himself away when he takes the costume off, a way of trying to divide the two personas.

A bit like Batman taking on the character of bat/darkness/shadows when putting on the costume.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #184
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
he breaks into a dressing room at an opera in Tokyo where a Yakuza boss sits in the front row. Wolverine grabs a costume off a rack (the brown and orange costume) to blend in and walks onto the stage. He then kills everyone in the front row. At first the audience thinks its part of the play but then people start shooting at Wolverine so people begin to storm out of the theatre. Amongst them are Mariko and Noburo - who's personal security rushes to get out. Mariko manages to lock eyes with Wolverine through the mask and she cries as he slaughters the Yakuza. As soon as she's out of his periphery, he chops a guy's head off right behind him.

That's sounds pretty awesome, hope something like that appears in the film!

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #185
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
You see naysayers? All it takes is some thought in you can come up with a reasonable solution to at least give an instance where wearing a costume is plausible.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #186
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
You see naysayers? All it takes is some thought in you can come up with a reasonable solution to at least give an instance where wearing a costume is plausible.
I'm just not sure that such a costume - the style and 'fit' of it, especially - would be something worn in a Japanese play.

I prefer my own idea of it being something especially devised for a ritual in an attempt to help Wolverine is helped to embrace the animal (while wearing it) and suppress the animal (when not wearing it). A way of trying to separate his animal and human aspects so that he can switch between them and not be dominated by either one.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #187
marcvader
Lurker #1

Whatever but my point is the mask can be done.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #188
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
I'm just not sure that such a costume - the style and 'fit' of it, especially - would be something worn in a Japanese play.

I prefer my own idea of it being something especially devised for a ritual in an attempt to help Wolverine is helped to embrace the animal (while wearing it) and suppress the animal (when not wearing it). A way of trying to separate his animal and human aspects so that he can switch between them and not be dominated by either one.
Thing is, there's no need to separate the man from the animal but rather train the man to control the animal.

In the script, Wolverine is the animal throughout the first act, killing dozens of people brutally. In the second act, through training, he learns to control the animal and kill like a warrior.

The scene with the costume is brilliant because at first Mariko's not sure its him. When she locks eyes with him through the mask she realizes it is him and is immediately mortified to see the man she loves slaughter all those people.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #189
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Thing is, there's no need to separate the man from the animal but rather train the man to control the animal.

In the script, Wolverine is the animal throughout the first act, killing dozens of people brutally. In the second act, through training, he learns to control the animal and kill like a warrior.

The scene with the costume is brilliant because at first Mariko's not sure its him. When she locks eyes with him through the mask she realizes it is him and is immediately mortified to see the man she loves slaughter all those people.
It sounds great if they could pull it off. Seeing the costume would be a fantastic geek-out moment.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #190
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
It sounds great if they could pull it off. Seeing the costume would be a fantastic geek-out moment.
Definitely.

It takes me back to Point Break when Keanu has the drop on Swayze & they lock eyes, Swayze's baby blues piercing through the Reagan mask...just awesome.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #191
Mr.?
Side-Kick

Quote:
That sounds cool but
Is it just for a scene or does he wear it the rest of the movie?

Mr.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #192
marcvader
Lurker #1

Just for that scene. It's a nod to the fans.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #193
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Just for that scene. It's a nod to the fans.
Yep.

There are more nods, like
the origin of the hair style

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #194
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

whoa...so the script leaked?

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #195
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
whoa...so the script leaked?
The one being discussed is Aronofskys draft. So its more then likely been changed since then.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #196
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
The one being discussed is Aronofskys draft. So its more then likely been changed since then.
Its definitely been changed.

We got that set construction report a few months ago that revealed a second mutant in the film and a WWII Japanese prison camp. Neither of those are in Aronofsky's draft nor is Viper - who features heavily in Mangold's film.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #197
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Well we haven't seen too much of Viper in the set reports and whatnot. Maybe her role isn't HUGE...
They better not be pulling another Origins...

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #198
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well Viper was In 2010 story breakdown that leaked so I am guessing she was In original
script dropped from Aronofsky's rewrite and put back in rewrite after James Mangold came
on.It's should also be noted while a WWII japanese prison camp sequenze was added
we have had no indiction of the second mutant the site mentioned Inless Viper Is
second mutant.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #199
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Well Viper was In 2010 story breakdown that leaked so I am guessing she was In original
script dropped from Aronofsky's rewrite and put back in rewrite after James Mangold came
on.
My guess as well.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #200
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Brilliant! I always knew this could be done!

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote