The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #151
66 Face
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official DC Recommendations Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
it actually did hurt a little bit to try it. to see how far the great neal adams has fallen is just disappointing.
Yeah I went and read some reviews and I might steer clear.

He still draws such a great comic though. Visually its tough to stay away.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #152
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Does anyone have recommendations for good Poison Ivy or Mad Hatter stories? Thanks!

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #153
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

For Mad Hatter I believe either the first or second mini series of Secret Six (before the 36 issue ongoing) featured him. Maybe both of the minis I gotta re-read. Regardless BOTH are great. And there is a Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen Detective Comics trade entitled Private Book Cases that has 1 or 2 stories featuring him I believe. But again if my memory is slightly off, still a great read. But he does for sure appear.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #154
OrangeCloud
Side-Kick

So I've never read a single DC comic. Ever. Always been a Marvel guy. Decided I'd give DC a chance and start with the New 52 stories.

Which should and I read and which should I not even both with?

I hear Supergirl is one I should avoid, which is a shame since I've like her in animation that I've seen.

Edit: I'm reading Action Comics right now btw.

OrangeCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #155
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Supergirl isn't bad. I wouldn't say it's one of the best, but if you have interest in the character, I'd suggest at least trying it.

Here are the best series, IMO...

Wonder Woman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Green Lantern
Batman: The Dark Knight (from #10 on)
The Flash
Earth-2
I, Vampire
Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Batwoman
OMAC (it's cancelled now, but it's 8 issue run is great)
Justice League Dark (from #10 on)

All of those series really don't require any previous knowledge or reading. Except for maybe GL.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #156
OrangeCloud
Side-Kick

Great, I'l give it a try. Glad to hear The Flash is a good read, too.

I heard the Batman and GL series aren't true reboots for some reason. Like, the histories and such are kept the same. I know enough about Batman to get by, I'm sure. Guess I'll try GL anyway.

Thankies!

OrangeCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #157
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

Out of the books I am reading from DC's The New 52, I've listed in order from best to worst (this is looking at the OVERALL runs as some books used to be AWESOME but now don't do much for me and vice versa):

Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Justice League Dark
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Demon Knights
I, Vampire
Batwoman
The Flash
Nightwing
Green Lantern
Batman
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Green Lantern New Guardians
Catwoman
Supergirl
Justice League

And out of the "lower tier" books on my list, really the only one that is actually kinda been bad overall is Justice League. Though at least issues 10 & 11 were better. Course, I've been enjoying the Shazam back-up still more than the book.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #158
Maximus One
Oddball

So I've been getting into the DCU more and more here lately, Flash being my most recent obsession. I'm still in the process of obtaining and catching up with some good Flash stories and everything but I wanna know about some other characters because I need some cool stuff to get into and I have a few ideas who I might want to. Mainly, I'm thinking about Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Firestorm and Green Arrow. I know basics about the characters but where are some good trades and story arcs that are good for each of them. Booster Gold's story seems especially interesting to me. Blue Beetle and Firestorm are the two that I know the least about. Any help is appreciated guys. Oh and, how are all of their runs been so far in The New 52?? I've just picked up the last few issues of The Flash and I am really digging them though I wish the art looked something more like what they're doing in GL or something.

Edit:

Actually on second thought, I'd also like to know about Aquaman, I've heard nothing but great things about his newest stuff. And then The Savage Hawkman. Carter Hall, from what I've read and seen thus far, seems like a cool character. So are any of these less popular DC heroes worth getting into? I've always been into Batman and have within the last year or so gotten int Green Lantern heavily and now Flash and I just gotta get into some more DC titles and get my graphic novel and trade collection nice and massive. I've always been more of a Marvel guy until recently for real. Just something about DC seems more mature or something. If that makes sense. Also, what are some of the best, modern Superman books? I know all about Superman and his mythos from shows and cartoons and such but I've barely ever read a single Superman book. I think I may need to get into em

Last edited by Maximus One; 09-16-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #159
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
So I've been getting into the DCU more and more here lately, Flash being my most recent obsession. I'm still in the process of obtaining and catching up with some good Flash stories and everything but I wanna know about some other characters because I need some cool stuff to get into and I have a few ideas who I might want to. Mainly, I'm thinking about Booster Gold, Blue Beetle,
Justice League International. Should be some trades you can find. Also, Countdown to Infinite Crisis has the death of Blue Beetle Ted Kord. There was also two mini's which were awesome called I can't believe it's not the Justice League and I forget the name of the other one....if you saw the title, you'd know cuz it's funny like the first one. Also Booster Gold and Blue Beetle's series. (Pre-Reboot). Jaime Reyes, the 3rd Beetle's series was supposedly awesome. Now it pretty much sucks but if you can find anything from before the reboot, it should be pretty damn good.

Quote:
Firestorm and Green Arrow. I know basics about the characters but where are some good trades and story arcs that are good for each of them.
Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) was pretty good in Joe Kelly's JLA run. Then he "died" and Jason Rusch took over the mantel. He was okay. Should be a few trades for him as well.

For Green Arrow, I'd start with Green Arrow and the Longbow Hunters, followed by Quiver, The Sounds of Violence, Archer's Quest, and then Winnick's run on the book......well....the first two trades at least.....after that the character went into a hole due to s**ty writers.

Quote:
Oh and, how are all of their runs been so far in The New 52?? I've just picked up the last few issues of The Flash and I am really digging them though I wish the art looked something more like what they're doing in GL or something.
With the exception of a few, s**t, but then I have the burden of having read it pre-reboot, so maybe my opinion is colored by having actually read good comics with them in it.

Edit:

Quote:
Actually on second thought, I'd also like to know about Aquaman, I've heard nothing but great things about his newest stuff. And then The Savage Hawkman. Carter Hall, from what I've read and seen thus far, seems like a cool character. So are any of these less popular DC heroes worth getting into?
They've been criminally neglegent with Aquaman trades. What you can do is go back and grab trades from PAD's run. Not really anything from, imo, the best the character's been, Sub Diego. Best bet is to just stick with the current John's run.

Hawkman? Well, I'd suggest you check him out in JSA. Goeff Johns' run. Also, there was a Hawkman book that John's also had which I really liked.....not much else if you aren't willing to go Golden or Silverage......Hawkworld I guess. The new one's s**t. Take away a massive chunk of a character's history and this s**t is the end result.

Quote:
I've always been into Batman and have within the last year or so gotten int Green Lantern heavily and now Flash and I just gotta get into some more DC titles and get my graphic novel and trade collection nice and massive. I've always been more of a Marvel guy until recently for real. Just something about DC seems more mature or something. If that makes sense. Also, what are some of the best, modern Superman books? I know all about Superman and his mythos from shows and cartoons and such but I've barely ever read a single Superman book. I think I may need to get into em
I know exactly what you mean.

Well, All-Star Superman, Superman Secret Identity, The best Superman stories ever told, (I believe that's the name, it's got For the Man who has Everything, What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way? and Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow? The best Superman stories....evers really.) Superman Red Son, Superman for All Seasons, Superman Birthright, Superman For Tomorrow, and Morrison's current Run on Action Comics.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #160
Maximus One
Oddball

Thanx man!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #161
Maximus One
Oddball

Any Blue Beetle or Booster Gold trades that are any good? Seen a few at my local store and was thinking about giving them a shot

Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #162
WompuM
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for good Poison Ivy or Mad Hatter stories? Thanks!
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Haunted Knight
Batman: Hush

All of those feature Ivy and Hatter. All happen to be by Jeph Loeb. But Hatter was also in Secret Six for a while. Poison Ivy was also in a Detective Comics One Year Later story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCloud View Post
So I've never read a single DC comic. Ever. Always been a Marvel guy. Decided I'd give DC a chance and start with the New 52 stories.

Which should and I read and which should I not even both with?

I hear Supergirl is one I should avoid, which is a shame since I've like her in animation that I've seen.

Edit: I'm reading Action Comics right now btw.
Read Batman, Stormwatch, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Any Blue Beetle or Booster Gold trades that are any good? Seen a few at my local store and was thinking about giving them a shot
Johns' Booster Gold series from like 2007 is solid. Read 52. Read the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle book from 2007 as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #163
Maximus One
Oddball

Titles please. There were a few I saw. Something like Paradise Lost or Reality Loss or something similar. I'm trying to think cuz there were like 3 BG books and I think 2 BB books. They seemed more modern in terms of their eras but I was just curious. They both seem like interesting characters to me, figure I'll give em a chance.

How about The Flash: The Dastardly Death of The Rogues? Seen it as well

Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #164
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I want some Justice League with Darkseid in it. Any recommendations?

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #165
Anubis
Sup?

Rock of Ages.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #166
QBComics
Side-Kick

Is the new 52 Swamp Thing book any good? I love the character, but don't know much about the Rotworld DC characters. Is it well written and do I need I read anything before it to understand?

Love The Flash comic. Aquaman is pretty good too.

QBComics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #167
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Can anyone recommend some good Flash stories. Not including anything from the new 52, and besides Flash Rebirth.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #168
Super Mex
Newbie First Class

any good tradepaperbacks or hardcovers on the Spectre?

Super Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #169
Anubis
Sup?

I believe most of Ostrander's run is collected. Don't know if it's in print though.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #170
Super Mex
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I believe most of Ostrander's run is collected. Don't know if it's in print though.
didn't know who that was so I had to look him up and found this bad boy

can I start off with this one (the cover art looks neat) supposedly it collects the first 4 issues of volume 3

Super Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #171
Anubis
Sup?

Sounds like a good start to me.

There's also the end of Gotham Central, Day of Vengeance, and Tales of the Unexpected.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #172
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Didn't Ostrander and Mandrake do a Martian Manhunter series together that's also supposed to be really good?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #173
Anubis
Sup?

Probably.

Ostrander was teh awesome in the 80's.

Suicide Squad being probably his best work.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #174
eplo
agent of nothing

So im trying to get into some more comics, haven't read anything consistently for years, only series im up to date with is ultimate spidey. Characters I know i enjoy are Batman and Spiderman, any recommendations are appreciated. Nothing with Superman please he bores me

eplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #175
Gorblax
New User - Level 0

I'm looking specifically for recommendations of phenomenal single issues, as opposed to books or arcs. I've begun my collection with Batgirl #25, which features the phenomenal battle between Cassandra Cain vs. Lady Shiva -- quite possibly my favorite single issue of any comic.

What would you suggest adding to my collection?

Gorblax is offline   Reply With Quote