The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #776
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: The Loki/Tom Hiddleston Thread. We need Loki-Love. - Part 1

^ Coincidentally, I had the exact comparison (evil brother usurping his sibling king) when I watched Thor in the theaters the first time.

Re: Avengers

Did anybody else get a Silence Of The Lambs vibe during Black Widow's interrogation of Loki?

Quote:
Tell me, Natasha...have the lambs stopped screaming?

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #777
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Did I hear that right that Loki called Black Widow a "Quim" in which case he pretty much called her a ****, how did that get past the censors?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #778
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(o_o)> View Post
Did I hear that right that Loki called Black Widow a "Quim" in which case he pretty much called her a ****, how did that get past the censors?
By not saying ****

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #779
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Say it like Shakespeare and the censors will be fine every time, hack Pg-13 can say sh** as many times as you want with no consequences and nobody even used their one use of the F word.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #780
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

One of the smoothest moves ever pulled off by a movie writer. Well played, Mr. Whedon, as always.

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #781
Adamantium
Your King

If The Avengers takes place almost a year later after THOR then I have a question. When Loki, Selvig and Hawkeye obtain the Tesseract after shooting Fury, as they were leaving I noticed Loki bent over as he was walking, like he stumbled. He looked all worn out when he arrived(all sweaty, etc.)like he did when he fell into the abyss. The same way he looked all roughed up in the scene with Selvig and Fury(after credits scene on THOR). If it was a year later then he must've looked like crap because of traveling through the portal right?

Last edited by Adamantium; 10-01-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #782
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
If The Avengers takes place almost a year later after THOR then I have a question. When Loki, Selvig and Hawkeye obtain the Tesseract after shooting Fury, as they were leaving I noticed Loki bent over as he was walking, like he stumbled. He looked all worn out when he arrived(all sweaty, etc.)like he did when he fell into the abyss. The same way he looked all roughed up in the scene with Selvig and Fury(after credits scene on THOR). If it was a year later then he must've looked like crap because of traveling through the portal right?
Yeah, that's always been my belief, that the journey through the portal was not a pleasant one. If I remember correctly, in one of the children's/junior novelizations that covers just the first part of the movie (can't remember which one). It describes Loki's arrival more as him having to claw his way through the portal (really wish they had done a visualization like that).

There's also, perhaps, this interview that could be taken into account as well:
Quote:
http://www.craveonline.com/film/inte...tom-hiddleston

There was a gap between Thor and The Avengers, and we see at the beginning of The Avengers that some… “stuff” has happened.

Yes.

And we still haven’t really gotten into it in detail. We get a hint at the end of the film. Did Joss [Whedon] fill you in on that? Was that vital to your character?

Yeah, we talked about it a lot. We talked about this idea that Loki disappears through that wormhole of space and time, when the Bifrost is destroyed, and he kind of goes through the Seventh Circle of Hell. And he’s on his own. He’s on his own in the dark corners of the universe, and the journey he goes on is pretty horrible. It’s like getting lost in the rainforest or something. You’re going to come out the other side a bit mangled on the outside, and on the inside...

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #783
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Yeah, that's always been my belief, that the journey through the portal was not a pleasant one. If I remember correctly, in one of the children's/junior novelizations that covers just the first part of the movie (can't remember which one). It describes Loki's arrival more as him having to claw his way through the portal (really wish they had done a visualization like that).

There's also, perhaps, this interview that could be taken into account as well:
With that being said, then I assumed wrong when I first saw the movie, and I bet Thanos didn't have any sway on Loki's "imagined slights" as Thor called it. Going through hell basically he was gnashing and weeping to his own self and convinced himself that Thor had let go. Man, I wish they'd get deep like this and even deeper in their story telling in Phase 2, now that all the origin based stuff is done.

Last edited by Adamantium; 10-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #784
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

Quote:
With that being said, then I assumed wrong when I first saw the movie, and I bet Thanos didn't have any sway on Loki's "imagined slights" as Thor called it. Going through hell basically he was gnashing and weeping to his own self and convinced himself that Thor had let go. Man, I wish they'd get deep like this and even deeper in their story telling in Phase 2, now that all the origin based stuff is done.
I have these same thoughts too. I was very focused on the interaction of the brothers during that scene because I was curious how the ending of Thor movie would be handled here. During that scene, Loki to me was acting as if he believed Thor let him go and fall into the abyss. Hence, his reaction to Thor's "imagined slights".

Traveling to the portal may have messed Loki up physically, but I think Thanos twisted his already unbalanced emotional and mental state some more even before he went through the portal. Once Loki was in a state that Thanos wants, Loki was given the "glow stick of destiny".

I hope they delve deeper on what happened to Loki during that 1 year period.

Lei D Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #785
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Here is Tom Hiddleston's new commerical for BBC Current Affairs
shows
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #786
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

Good on Tom for supporting this cause. And good on BBC for having such a documentary.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #787
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Why did Loki get captured,what was his motive for it?

GoldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #788
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

He just, er, so happened to be captured.
It's kind of part of his plan; he wanted to end up in the Helicarrier so he could mess everybody around. Hawkeye breaking him out was essential to the entire scheme because he knew the attack would trigger the Hulk to come out, causing more hell...
That's what I understood anyway. You remember Fury's line 'Why do I get the feeling he's the only one who wants to be here?'

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #789
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

^I agree. Loki plans to mess up Fury's plans but he can't do that if he's not in the Helicarrier where SHIELD is currently operating.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #790
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

I think a big part of it is getting the sceptre around the members of the team too, to get them all riled up. One shot that stood out out to me in particular was - when they were all arguing with one another - the camera pans over to the sceptre and shows all the characters upside down in the background. I think it's supposed to show that the sceptre is turning them all on their heads. Plus when Banner gets angry he picks it up without even realizing.

That sceptre was such a huge part of the movie yet I feel like it doesn't get talked about enough.

JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #791
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Yeah, that scene reminded me a lot of how the strings were pulled on the characters in Cabin in the Woods without them realizing it...you didn't mention how Tony kind of rubs his face right afterwards and acts like he's he's either getting a headache, feels hot or unwell.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #792
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
Yeah, that scene reminded me a lot of how the strings were pulled on the characters in Cabin in the Woods without them realizing it...you didn't mention how Tony kind of rubs his face right afterwards and acts like he's he's either getting a headache, feels hot or unwell.
I noticed Tony's reaction too. He shook his head to sort of clear the cobwebs. It was pretty obvious at that point, plus the weird camera angles, that something is influencing their emotions.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #793
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGirl299 View Post
He just, er, so happened to be captured.
It's kind of part of his plan; he wanted to end up in the Helicarrier so he could mess everybody around. Hawkeye breaking him out was essential to the entire scheme because he knew the attack would trigger the Hulk to come out, causing more hell...
That's what I understood anyway. You remember Fury's line 'Why do I get the feeling he's the only one who wants to be here?'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei D Loki View Post
^I agree. Loki plans to mess up Fury's plans but he can't do that if he's not in the Helicarrier where SHIELD is currently operating.

Messing with people's heads was a big part of Loki's motivation for allowing them to capture him, but there was another factor. Loki knew that while he was in captivity all of the focus would e on him and not on Barton, Selvig and his other minions who were harnessing the Tesseract's power for the portal. Fury and the Avengers were searching for the Cube's energy signature, yes, but they spent the bulk of their time fretting over Loki's motives for being captured. When Loki started manipulating them, which may have been as early as the fight in the forest, he further distracted them from what should have been their real focus. By the time they were able to regroup, after the Helicarrier attack, Loki had already achieved his primary goal of having Selvig and the rogue scientists create the portal.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #794
Godzilla2000
Titanium Dragon

Quote:
I'm thinking that when Thanos might have been literally beating down Loki's ego a notch Loki was crying out for Odin and Thor to rescue him but never getting a reply or salvation from them. This could owe a lot to why he was so ruthless in Avengers. The abuse Loki must have suffered at Thanos' hands to toughen him up must have been excruciating both physically and mentally, hence why he looked so dragged out and feral at the beginning of the movie. I certainly hope Loki disclosing the hell he'd gone through under Thanos dominion gets touched upon in Thor 2, possibly creating a moment of reconciliation and healing between he and Odin.

- I'd say he's the ragiest but Rajang takes that top spot.

- In a relationship do you want a tough, independent individual who can pull their own weight walking beside you who can lift you up when you need it and vice versa or a heavy burden that you must drag behind you all the time who runs at the first sign of trouble or is incapable of helping in any way?

- I've never really known fragility and tenderness, just grit and steel.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #795
elizah72
Side-Kick

His talk about freedom being a lie and when you understand that you will know peace, really to me smacks of a sort of brainwashing done on Loki. That and the fact that he is now convinced that Thor let him go, not that he let go. He's completely twisted that there, lying even to himself, and there must be a reason for it. I would think there was a lot of torture initially and a lot of reprogramming Loki's mind to do Thanos' bidding during that time, until they felt he was ready. (not excusing his behavior in Avengers, mind you... but just sayin') I feel like Loki seems to be talking about himself a lot in those freedom speeches (both in his first scene and in Germany). I feel like the intention was to mirror Loki's own struggles for power and freedom from doing what Odin or Thor wanted him to do when he was on Asgard. He seems to be telling himself, trying to convince himself, that now that he's accepted Thanos as the master, the one who decides what he does, that is a load of pressure on him and he should be at peace now, and maybe to some extent he is. But as Coulson says, " you lack conviction" and so that would make it seem there's still at least part of him that is not happy or at peace still with this current arrangement. When he gives those speeches in Germany and to Fury I feel like he is trying to convince himself as well as the crowd/Fury that he's doing the right thing here, and that the mortals need someone to take over and make things better, they'll be better off that way, so any nasty thing he has to do to make that happen is for the greater good. Whedon's comments in the commentary are very interesting because he makes it seem like Loki doesn't just want to rule, he wants to be "daddy" and take care of them all, and how messed up it is to want to be that person. The part with Thor where he says how the human's slaughter each other daily, and sarcastically that Thor's doing a great job protecting them, would also seem to point to that.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #796
elizah72
Side-Kick

New interview with Tom out today... (nothing about Thor or Avengers though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnhfQ...ature=youtu.be

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote