The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Which Beast do you prefer?
Kelsey Grammer's Original/Classic Beast 41 54.67%
Nicholas Hoult's Cat Beast 34 45.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #226
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Default Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yes indeed.

I wonder how they will handle all these returning and existing characters in a two-hour movie though! That's assuming we see many characters from the original trilogy in the future. Will people be content with brief glimpses before these characters are incinerated by Sentinels?
No way! Which is why it can't be a 2 hour movie and and they try to make it that this movie will be HORRIBLE!!! This is a epic event that can't be told in 2 hours. Has to be TDK length and split into almost between the past and the present/future and then the conclusion.

And
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
Fully aware of that. I have piles of Marvel Comics at home. But, still, I wouldn't want to derail this thread.
I'm sure you are, I'm just saying that as long as were talking about the Marvel universe as a whole were talking about Beast. Technically its all one universe. Its just not licensed that way. Plus when it comes to the X-Men's non-Continuity its so screwed up that even if they did bring back the original actors from X1-X3 they'd have to be established in the all new altered continuity created by XM-FC and the possible total retcon for XMO:W.It would be so much easier to just call First Class a reboot and let that be the end of it.. But Fox, as always like to be difficult to their own fault and self inflicted demise

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #227
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
No way! Which is why it can't be a 2 hour movie and and they try to make it that this movie will be HORRIBLE!!! This is a epic event that can't be told in 2 hours. Has to be TDK length and split into almost between the past and the present/future and then the conclusion.
Unless, perhaps, we only see most of the returning original trilogy characters in the final scenes after the past is altered and a new timeline created. That new timeline could be the reason Cyclops and Jean are shown to still be alive, and serve to set up a new X4/X5.

Quote:
I'm sure you are, I'm just saying that as long as were talking about the Marvel universe as a whole were talking about Beast. Technically its all one universe. Its just not licensed that way.
We have to forget that, because it isn't that way and I couldn't really see Beast popping up in the Avengers franchise as it stands at present. Marvel Studios isn't allowed to acknowledge mutants, nor even mention the word. So it's pointless thinking in terms of one universe, because it isn't one in cinematic terms. Spider-Man is elsewhere (along with Ghost Rider), and X-Men and Fantastic Four are elsewhere. As it stands, those are separate franchises.

Quote:
Plus when it comes to the X-Men's non-Continuity its so screwed up that even if they did bring back the original actors from X1-X3 they'd have to be established in the all new altered continuity created by XM-FC and the possible total retcon for XMO:W.It would be so much easier to just call First Class a reboot and let that be the end of it.. But Fox, as always like to be difficult to their own fault and self inflicted demise
As I suggested above, perhaps the original actors appear as a result of an altered timeline.

It might have seemed more logical to declare First Class a reboot but...

a) they brought back Singer who has directed/produced the only solid and widely-praised X-movies so he was unlikely to disregard his own material

b) the general audience are still very much familiar with the existing trilogy, as can be seen by the enthusiasm to the news revealed/leaked by Patrick Stewart about returning cast members

c) the Wolverine franchise is still going on with the same actor so to reboot X-Men but keep the same Wolverine wouldn't really have worked.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #228
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Unless, perhaps, we only see most of the returning original trilogy characters in the final scenes after the past is altered and a new timeline created. That new timeline could be the reason Cyclops and Jean are shown to still be alive, and serve to set up a new X4/X5.
I guess..

Quote:
We have to forget that, because it isn't that way and I couldn't really see Beast popping up in the Avengers franchise as it stands at present. Marvel Studios isn't allowed to acknowledge mutants, nor even mention the word. So it's pointless thinking in terms of one universe, because it isn't one in cinematic terms. Spider-Man is elsewhere (along with Ghost Rider), and X-Men and Fantastic Four are elsewhere. As it stands, those are separate franchises.
I can't!!! Hence why I think I may need therapy

Quote:
It might have seemed more logical to declare First Class a reboot but...

a) they brought back Singer who has directed/produced the only solid and widely-praised X-movies so he was unlikely to disregard his own material
But it doesn't change the absolute mess. You already know the issues. IMO retcon one you need to recon them all. First Class wasn't meant to change the future but some how it did cause of EGO..

Quote:
b) the general audience are still very much familiar with the existing trilogy, as can be seen by the enthusiasm to the news revealed/leaked by Patrick Stewart about returning cast members

c) the Wolverine franchise is still going on with the same actor so to reboot X-Men but keep the same Wolverine wouldn't really have worked.
Because of Blu ray and DVD They can also be as aware of the issues and now they realize that It matter hence the Mark Millar hiring (At least thats what their intentions should be) but he can't fix all that crap before First Class that was X-3 and XMO. They can do like TIH did. It was a loose reboot and they called it that. If they're disregarding them then say so. If it's a reboot say so. If it's a loose reboot say so. Don't piss on our head and tell us it's raining by just to say the we took liberties with the existing cannon but it a direct prequel to the franchise which The Last Stand is part of the franchise regardless of Vaughns ego. That is BS and disrespectful to our intelligence. Just disregard it. the audience will be cool with that. The Wolverine is sort of a reboot though its not a origin story. JUST SAY IT FOX!!! It's why I Can't stand them most times and haven't supported their Marvel Properties after The Last Stand

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #229
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
But it doesn't change the absolute mess. You already know the issues. IMO retcon one you need to recon them all. First Class wasn't meant to change the future but some how it did cause of EGO..

Because of Blu ray and DVD They can also be as aware of the issues and now they realize that It matter hence the Mark Millar hiring (At least thats what their intentions should be) but he can't fix all that crap before First Class that was X-3 and XMO. They can do like TIH did. It was a loose reboot and they called it that. If they're disregarding them then say so. If it's a reboot say so. If it's a loose reboot say so. Don't piss on our head and tell us it's raining by just to say the we took liberties with the existing cannon but it a direct prequel to the franchise which The Last Stand is part of the franchise regardless of Vaughns ego. That is BS and disrespectful to our intelligence. Just disregard it. the audience will be cool with that. The Wolverine is sort of a reboot though its not a origin story. JUST SAY IT FOX!!! It's why I Can't stand them most times and haven't supported their Marvel Properties after The Last Stand
I think Days of Future Past will serve to reboot it, at least by allowing the franchise to move forwards without having to bear in mind X3 and XMO:W. But it won't be a full reboot in terms of all-new actors, it will just undo the bigger issues.

The studio is obviously aware of the continuity/timeline issues and hopefully they are now addressing them. Fingers crossed!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #230
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

I think Beast in First class would fit in more with the Grinch and the Cat in the Hat from the live action Dr. Suess films better than he does with the x-men. Beast in last stand fit in more with the look of the other blue mutants in the original series like Mystique and Nightcrawler. He wouldnt look out of place next to these two mutants where as First Class Beast would look out of place standing next to other blue mutants in the series or anyone who wasnt from Jim Henson's workshop.

TDK elbowstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #231
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I don't mind the cat design of Beast at all, I just thought it wasn't that well executed in FC.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #232
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I though FC's Beast was fine enough, but I do prefer Kelsey's Beast. I don't think it's a big problem. You could just argue that movie Beast's mutations happen the other way around and rather than ending up more cat-like as in the comics.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #233
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I don't mind the cat design of Beast at all, I just thought it wasn't that well executed in FC.
I hope they will improve his look in DOFP!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #234
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

I think the biggest thing that separates FC Beast and X3 Beast is the person under the make-up. While Hoult was fine as pre-transformation Beast, once the makeup was done it just fell very flat. Grammar's performance as Beast, however, was so perfect that I could not imagine anyone doing any better.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #235
Hellion
He's Not Serious

I enjoyed both from the actors, to the make up (even though both did have faults)--I loved them.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #236
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I think the biggest thing that separates FC Beast and X3 Beast is the person under the make-up. While Hoult was fine as pre-transformation Beast, once the makeup was done it just fell very flat. Grammar's performance as Beast, however, was so perfect that I could not imagine anyone doing any better.
Hoult probably couldn't move his face that much with all of those prosthetic make-up.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #237
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Hoult probably couldn't move his face that much with all of those prosthetic make-up.
That's very true. A make-up can look great, but if it hinders a performance, then that's no good. I hope in DFP they can streamline Hoult's make-up a bit to allow for a greater performance.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #238
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
That's very true. A make-up can look great, but if it hinders a performance, then that's no good.
Too bad it didn't fulfill that function either

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #239
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I though FC's Beast was fine enough, but I do prefer Kelsey's Beast. I don't think it's a big problem. You could just argue that movie Beast's mutations happen the other way around and rather than ending up more cat-like as in the comics.
That the way I see it.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #240
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Yeah I have absolutely no problem with the two different looking Beasts. In the comics his mutation evolved and changed him into a more cat-like Beast, in the film universe it can be the other way around.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #241
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Never been a fan of the Cat like beast myself, especially how that further mutation happened as well in the books, and casting Grammar for him in X3 was the most inspired choice they made with that film (perfect voice and manner for the role and they did the make-up very well too), so it's the classic look beast for me.

If Hoult is retruning I'd like them to tone down those features so his own expressions can come through more (and would also show the slow reversal to the more human looking classic beast we saw in X3). Would also have him play the part more confidently now he has had a decade to get used to living in that skin (he was reserved & shy in First Class, so a lean towards the extrovert brash elder Beast would be a welcome change).

Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #242
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, Id like to see some short of evolution on Hoult's version, to make it a bit closer to the X3 version. And agree about his personality, Beast should be more confident this time, after a 11 years jump, and why not? to have some sense of humour too. That could give the sequel some needed drama breaks, and cool little moments between the x-men, just like the original comics did.

the stuff between the young x-men on FC was really great, and we have seen many users inside and outside the board liked it too.

how Banshee used to answer to Hank's commments, or how Alex joked about Beast and his explanations. Now we need Hank to show that side too

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #243
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Yeah, personality wise, Beast should be more Beast-like after 11 years. Or maybe they are saving that character development for the film itself? Personally, I hope not. His experiences in First Class is enough for me to imagine him becoming more like the Beast we all know personality wise.