The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

SHH! Another one bites the dust!!! 8(

Hi guys, well, it finally happened, my 60GIG/640GIG launch PS3 is DEAD!!! Yeah it sucks, but it could have been worse, I could have lost everything!!! All is not lost though, yesterday I bought myself a shiny new PS3 Slim 120GIG, now a 640GIG, to replace my fallen system RIP!!! Thankfully I had my System backed up so I managed to save most of my game saves, with the exception of Killzone 2 (this one really hurt), Assassin's Creed 2 (ouch), Red Dead Redemption (cries), and Transformers: War for Cybertron (starts balling uncontrollably), oh well I'll just have to start all over, oih vey!!! Other than that and having to reinstall all the game installs and PSN stuff, I'd say I got off easy!!! So to recap, I now have a PS3 Slim with a 640GIG HDD ready for action and the world is green again!!!

The Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

Default Re: Another one bites the dust!!! 8(

welcome to the slim ps3 club *bows*

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

SHH! Re: Another one bites the dust!!! 8(

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalinferno View Post
welcome to the slim ps3 club *bows*
Lol, thanks, it's much quieter and doesn't heat up nearly as much and I like the design, so despite everything I think I made the right choice, I like it!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
RyanJ
Side-Kick

Jeez that really sucks. A system you paid, what, $600 for and it doesn't even last 4 years? I'd be really super pissed if it were me. I have one of the original 20GB and if it dies I will be really upset. I just recently got it and ended up buying a bunch of old PS2 games to play on it. It's not quite as good as the 60GB but it works.

RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Jeez that really sucks. A system you paid, what, $600 for and it doesn't even last 4 years? I'd be really super pissed if it were me. I have one of the original 20GB and if it dies I will be really upset. I just recently got it and ended up buying a bunch of old PS2 games to play on it. It's not quite as good as the 60GB but it works.
There are more important things in life dude and as you get older you realize that you can't control everything!!! Things just happen so it's best not to worry too much about it, because it's out of your control and getting upset won't change anything, so it's best just to move on and enjoy your new system as I'm sure you're doing, enjoy!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Havok83
Side-Kick

Mine YLOD'd this weekend again as well. I sent it out for repair but if it messes up again, Im just gonna give up and stick with a slim. I did a full back up after I got it back the last time, so Im not to worried about game saves, but unofrunately some dont carry over like KZ2 and Heavy Rain

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
RyanJ
Side-Kick

I guess my post made it sound like I would nerd rage or something over my broken PS3 lol. True I'd be bummed but you're correct, things happen and best not to let the little things bother you. I suppose if it were me I'd just be hunting a new 60GB down.

And as a side note, Guardian, you seem like a really cheerful and positive person. You remind me of a guy I used to play an MMO with. He always had a positive word for everyone. The world could use more people like you.

RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Benstamania
Shot first.

Man, I hope next gen these companies figure out how to make 300+ dollar systems last...you know, 10+ years. *looks at the PSX/PS2*

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderRISE View Post
Man, I hope next gen these companies figure out how to make 300+ dollar systems last...you know, 10+ years. *looks at the PSX/PS2*
Those systems were worse than the PS3. I think my original PS1 lasted about 2 years before I had to buy a new one bc of faulty power supply. My PS2 lasted longer but slowly broke down. Firs it couldnt play DVD movies, then DL games were out of the question. Now the drive can barely read most games.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Benstamania
Shot first.

My PSX and PS2 still work fine. I can't think of systems that had more problems with breaking down then this gen.

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Havok83
Side-Kick

consider yourself lucky. The PS1 and PS2 were notorious for disc drive problems. Did you get launch systems or ones later in its life cycles. Slims?

2 reasons why you may feel there are more problems with systems now. First bc of the 360 RROD. Never before has there been such a widely publicized failure rate among one console. Its not even a myth or something thats rare bc a good number of owners have faced that. Secondly is bc of the internet. There were always problems but now when someone has an issue, they go on the net and post about it in a forum like this. The use of an outlet like this wasnt as prevlaent back then so reports of failures went unheard of

Last edited by Havok83; 07-14-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderRISE View Post

I agree. At my house, I have my original NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Gameboy, and Gameboy Color and they are all still working like a charm.

20+ years down the line, I'm sure my 360 or Wii will not be working near as well...or at all.

Heck I've even gone through three PS2s since I bought one at launch. My third one is on its way out.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Havok83
Side-Kick

Notice that all those systems use cartridges. The issues really didnt start till systems moved to a disc based configuration. All that spinning eventually wears the system down alot faster than before. They also didnt have a GPU, which has helped contribute to the overheating issues as it draws quite a bit of power

Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

I know it, I was just comparing the difference in gaming hardware. Systems anymore won't ever last us near as long as previously.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
The Guardian
Forever In Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I guess my post made it sound like I would nerd rage or something over my broken PS3 lol. True I'd be bummed but you're correct, things happen and best not to let the little things bother you. I suppose if it were me I'd just be hunting a new 60GB down.

And as a side note, Guardian, you seem like a really cheerful and positive person. You remind me of a guy I used to play an MMO with. He always had a positive word for everyone. The world could use more people like you.

*Goes into mad rage for being complemented* AAAHHHHHH, LOL, all kidding aside thanks for the complements, I appreciate them and I'm not perfect, actually I have a pretty bad temper, but I've learned to manage it some what, hey, I'm only human right!!!

On a positive note I went to play Transformers: WfC yesterday and all of my online stats were still there, so I put Killzone 2 in my PS3 Slim and sure enough all of my online stats were there so I only lost the campaigns but all the hours I put into the online were saved, needless to say I was very happy, especially about Killzone2, I put a crap load of hours into that thing lol, so all is good in The Guardian's Lair!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
shinra_27
Side-Kick

I went into total nerd rage the other night. The PS3 froze and my husband flipped the switch on the power strip. Well it corrupted something, I had to go into the safe mode and restore PS3 system. I lost everything! Makes me want to cry thinking about my Final Fantasy 13 file. I was almost done with the game. I have to back up files from now on.

I never had a problem with PS1 or my PS2. My PS1 still works, I had to get a new power cord for it. My PS2 works fine only issue I have with it is it stopped playing the old blue game disks. Not a good sign but the system is over 10 years old, was my first dvd player and was abused in college.

shinra_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #17
Kaiser
Banned User

Mine died this past Saturday... It would have been a year old on Aug 22nd (2010).

Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I have an 80 GB that I bought and 6 months into use it busted I sent it into Sony and since it was used I had to pay $150 to get the same model but it was brand new so really i would say it payed off nicely, how are all of you backing up your save files?

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

I back up my system once every 3-4 weeks. I have an external WD 60gb HDD that I use.

KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Oh ok, thank you.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #21
Havok83
Side-Kick

Crap! 2 years running strong and mine just got another YLOD. Sucks that my copy of Sleeping Dogs is in the system. I will try later to see if I can power it on long enough to get that out. Thank god for PS+ though bc at least my saves are backed up. Stinks that those rumored PS3s havent been released in August like originally expected and BF is 2 months away. Not sure if I can wait that long

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Hold up Hav!

It could be here this Friday http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...me-show-reveal

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
Havok83
Side-Kick

perfect timing! Too bad it probably wont make it to the US till next month though. Ohh well. I would have purchased one this weekend too...lol. I think I will try and look up one of those YLOD fixes online and try it myself bc I see no point in spending about $100 to get it fixed at this point. I really hope i can at least salvage Sleeping Dogs

Pictures of the new ones look ugly though. Surely the existing ones will get a price drop and I think I might just get one of those instead. A 160gb for $199 sounds tempting. I will just put in my 250gb (or is it 320gb? I cant recall) HDD from my old laptop in there

Last edited by Havok83; 09-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #24
Fading
>:(

I feel you guy's pain. Losing my old PS3 sucked, some saves like Dragon Age (copy protected)were lost, and I had to start all over...again. The refurbished model was crap, so I just bought a new (at the time) Slim. This ones ran perfect since, but has had a hickup this last week. A horizontal space appears ahead of the character in WKC 2, and Amalur where the textures are a bit brighter in certain areas with vibrant colors. It's not painfully obvious, but once I notice it I can't stop noticing it, lol. I haven't had any other problems though. I'm just hoping it holds out til I get a PS4, really not wanting to have to shell out more $$ for another PS3.

Last edited by Fading; 10-03-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote