The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #51
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I also would prefer that Cap be the only one who has the serum. Failed attempts at recreating it (ala Banner/Hulk) are okay, but if you have too many people running around with stable forms of the serum, even if they're derivatives, I think it takes something away from Cap.
This, 110%.
We know Marvel is full of derivatives and knockoffs in a comic-book universe that has a cast of tens of thousands, but when the super-powered population of the MCU numbers only a handful, you can't go around duplicating powers and skillsets. That's been one of the complaints that's loudly (and fairly) leveled at using War Machine. We sure don't need more Cap knockoffs like Patriot and US Agent and a host of others.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #52
xeno000
Raining hell from above

I don't want them to include the Natasha/Super Soldier plot, either. That is one of the most ridiculously unnecessary retcons ever. The Black Widow should have remained what she was in the original comics: a highly trained athlete/ballerina who became a spy for the Soviet/Russian government. They could have easily ignored or changed the parts of her backstory that dated her, as the film universe did, without resorting to the stupidity of making her into something that she never was to begin with.

The concept of "badass normal" characters like Natasha and Hawkeye holding their own and contributing to their teams while surrounded by superpowered comrades is very appealing. It gives us little moments like their scene on the Helicarrier where Natasha talks of dealing with "monsters and magic and nothing were were ever trained for." They are the viewers' proxies; through them we can see what it would be like to exist in that world. Taking that away would be a shame.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #53
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Well the reason they added that retcon was that a storyline was written about Natasha being a kid in WWII, meeting both Cap and Wolverine, and people wanted to keep it in continuity.

The cold war is a big part of Natasha, and those decades of experience lend credibility to her rep as the world's greatest spy.

While I would agree on Steve being the only super-soldier, I would point out that Natasha's serum makes her ageless. So it's more Infinity Formula than it is Super-Solider Serum.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #54
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They never gave any inclinations that BW is older than she looks, did they?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #55
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

The movie universe hasn't been going on for 50 years, so there's really no reason for the characters taking the Infinity Formula.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #56
Chewy
REDACTED

I think at this point the heroes we've been introduced to need to just stay as they are. Adding in secret pasts and secret powers is wildly unnecessary and one of the worse aspects of the comic book superhero genre

Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #57
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
The movie universe hasn't been going on for 50 years, so there's really no reason for the characters taking the Infinity Formula.
For Fury, yes. For Natasha, the Cold War is such a big part of her, so it could be done. Or not.

I'm not denying I prefer the first.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #58
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Fury only needs the Infinity Formula if they want him to be a World War II veteran in the MCU as he is in the comics. Right now there's little need to do so. Samuel L. Jackson is already 60 years old (yeah, I was surprised when I found that out, too). He could just be a Vietnam veteran instead, or something.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #59
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I think at this point the heroes we've been introduced to need to just stay as they are. Adding in secret pasts and secret powers is wildly unnecessary and one of the worse aspects of the comic book superhero genre
I agree completely.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #60
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I would, grudgingly, accept some form of age-retarding phlebotinum, if that is explicitly *all* it did. Thus, you could set her origin deep in the cold war without taking away her badass normal-ness.

I just would also make clear that having a few extra decades on various people doesn't actually make her automatically *better* at the non-powered skill routine than any other elite type. It just means she still remains at her peak years after she'd otherwise start to slow down.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #61
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I also would prefer that Cap be the only one who has the serum. Failed attempts at recreating it (ala Banner/Hulk) are okay, but if you have too many people running around with stable forms of the serum, even if they're derivatives, I think it takes something away from Cap.
I agree.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #62
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I would, grudgingly, accept some form of age-retarding phlebotinum, if that is explicitly *all* it did. Thus, you could set her origin deep in the cold war without taking away her badass normal-ness.

I just would also make clear that having a few extra decades on various people doesn't actually make her automatically *better* at the non-powered skill routine than any other elite type. It just means she still remains at her peak years after she'd otherwise start to slow down.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #63
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

The 616 universe already has movie-verse Nick Fury as being the son of Nick Fury who also took his name...no complicated super serum required...although it was mentioned...

Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #64
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I think it would be a plot twist for those who haven't read the comics, and also give Cap and Widow something to relate to together.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #65
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
The 616 universe already has movie-verse Nick Fury as being the son of Nick Fury who also took his name...no complicated super serum required...although it was mentioned...
So classic white Nick Fury had Samuel L Jackson Fury now according to the comics?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #66
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Basically, though the 'Marcus Johnson' Nick Fury doesn't look like Samuel L, and indeed, looks very young. It was a bad story, I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets mentioned again.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #67
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

If only.

He and Cheese Coulson are apparently going to be major players in Marvel's NOW phase.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #68
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Oh yipee....

Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #69
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Unfamiliar with "Cheese Coulson;" looked it up. Kinda wish I didn't.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #70
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Wow that sounds pretty dumb.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #71
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

At least it means there's a miniscule chance that they'll be a mention of the original Nick Fury in the films, given that they could say he was the father of SJ's Fury.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #72
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
SEEKING AGENT 13

Ok, this is going to get a little wonky. We’ve been covering a few shortlists for Captain America 2’s female lead. The assumption on behalf of comics fans is that we’re looking for Agent 13, AKA Sharon Carter, the niece of ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’s Peggy Carter.

The list is Palmer, Poots, Clarke, Brown-Findley and Alison Brie. It’s CONFIRMED that marvel is looking for a character in her 20s with ‘an accent.’ Palmer, Poots, Clarke and Brown-Findley if requested for a screen test will do so with their native accents, Alison Brie will screen test with her British accent (oh, Alison Brie’s British accent and the Inspector Spacetime gag reel outtakes on Community’s Season 3 DVD…). Since the deleted ‘Avengers’ Cap scenes revealed that Peggy was alive and well in the UK, this is consistent with Sharon Carter.

BUT, I have to blow your mind a bit here. List and screen test details aside, the person Marvel has the most traction with right now hasn’t been on any shortlist, because it’s MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD.

Seems like it could be her part for the taking if they are holding off on screen testing the list we all blogged about.

THE MEN – VILLAINS?

I’m going to assume that with Anthony Mackey possibly bringing The Falcon to ‘Cap 2,’ Black Widow showing up and Bucky returning as The Winter Soldier that the two “very physical” male parts Marvel is looking to cast are our villains. Then again, if we’re looking at a globe hopping SHIELD adventure, who am I to say that one of these isn’t the new Coulson or whathaveyou?

What we do know is there are two male roles up for grabs. One is an American character and the other is a foreign character, both roles – we cannot stress enough – are physical.

Looks like Marvel likes the idea of pulling from the Game of Thrones wheelhouse (Alan Talor on ‘Thor 2′) because a name shortlisted for one of these parts is Nikolaj Coster Waldau. Nicolaj is up against his Lost counterpart Josh Holloway. Unless this report screws it for them, expect both to be screen tested.

Also on the list, but more clinging to edge of it from the sound of things is Kevin Durand, who makes a great bad guy (and was the focus of the single surprising moment in ‘Cosmopolis’…and also from ‘Lost’ now that I think about it).
http://latino-review.com/2012/10/12/...ns-cast-cap-2/

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #73
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Chewy, you forgot the most important sentence of the article!
Quote:
I’m not going to speculate as to who these characters are. I’ll let you Lukin from the Zemos from the Roxxons and the MODOKs.
Fan fun...or something more?

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #74
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I'll admit I'd be disappointed if Brie doesn't get cast, but Winstead's pretty great.

Damn! I'd love Holloway or Waldau for a bigger, more recurring role in the MCU than as villains, but they're both great. I think I suggested Waldau at one point for Star-Lord. I'd prefer him for that, but whatever. I can't even if either of them are up for M.O.D.O.K. I'd feel really , really weird having a massive crush on Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing over either Cap, Bucky or Falcon. ld razz:

I approve either way, Marvel Studios (I'm sure they care what I think....)

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #75
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

ZEMO PLEASE GOD let it be ZEMO!!!

As for MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD I'm sold (sure I'd have loved to have had her as Mary Jane Watson in ASM2) but to have her instead as Sharon Carter is even better.

Closed Thread